• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No success. It crashes in all ways i am starting it.

I put back the gf folder and restored the settings.txt configuration. The game crashes at all times. Please assist.

My Sengoku settings.txt has no size section in it either, unlike every other PDS game - not sure where that stuff is kept if at all. But can we see it anyway please?

The fact that later games work fine seems to show Windows has all the support modules necessary for this game too.

And, do you have access to another machine to try the game on please? Just temporarily, to show whether it's your machine or your Steam account with a problem.

No, I don't have access to another computer, but I will see what I can do. If I can find another machine, it will take me some days, IF successful.

Is there a way to install Sengoku without having to install Steam? If such a download could be made available to me, I would remove steam and the game from my machine, and install it from those Steam-free installation files.

settings.txt said:
gui=
{
language=l_english
}
graphics=
{

refreshRate=60
fullScreen=yes
shadows=no
shadowSize=1024
multi_sampling=2
anisotropic_filtering=0
gamma=50.000000
}
sound_fx_volume=100.000000
music_volume=100.000000
scroll_speed=100.000000
camera_rotation_speed=50.000000
zoom_speed=50.000000
mouse_speed=50.000000
master_volume=77.000000
ambient_volume=50.000000
mapRenderingOptions=
{
draw_terrain=yes
draw_water=yes
draw_borders=yes
draw_trees=yes
draw_rivers=yes
draw_postfx=yes
draw_sky=yes
draw_bloom=yes
draw_tooltips=yes
draw_hires_terrain=no
draw_citysprawl=yes
}
lastplayer="Human Player"
serveradress="diplomacy.valkyrienet.com"
autosave="YEARLY"
difficulty="NORMAL"
outliner=
{
yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes
}
windowmovetime=0.200000
hints=yes
camera_speed=99.000000
camera_tilt=50.000000
centered_zoom_in=yes

Is there a way to install Sengoku without having to install Steam? If such a download could be made available to me, I would remove steam and the game from my machine, and install it from those Steam-free installation files.
Having installed it via Steam , you can copy that folder anywhere you like and it should still work. So just put it on a USB stick and run it on any other machine right from there; at worst you'd have to delete the settings.txt and let it write a new one.

No difference. I removed the settings.txt to another folder, outside of the game folder, and even moved the game, too, to another folder. The game still crashes at the same position ("loading graphics"), and there was no newly written settings.txt in the game folder. So i put back the one I had removed.

I need help.

Sorry, it's not clear to me - you tried it on another machine, say via a USb stick or whatever? Or on this same troublesome machine but from a different location there?

I have only one computer, so I tried on this computer. But tomorrow, hopefully, I will have a chance to try on someone's PC.

im having a similar problem. i'll let you know how when i figure out how to fix it.

I have found the solution. first, put both Sengoku.exe and SengokuGame.exe into Windows XP (Service pack 2) Compatibility mode. then restart your computer. after the restart, run Sengoku.exe from the sengoku folder. make sure it is updated, then click play. it works fine.

if that failed to work, update ALL of the neccesary programs for sengoku (.NET, virtual C++, etc.) then try again.

Last edited:
Hi, I just try to do this. I installed Sengoku again, but during installation I am getting this error message of Visual C++:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Setup
Setup has detected that this computer does not meet the requirements to install this software. The following blocking issues must be resolved before you can install Microsoft Virtual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Setup software package.
Please resolve the following:
A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine.

If I understand right, I now have to downgrade my Visual C++ on my computer? Or what do you advise, Kellenbeck (or anyone else)?

If I understand right, I now have to downgrade my Visual C++ on my computer? Or what do you advise, Kellenbeck (or anyone else)?
im not sure. but if it happens when you try to start Sengoku, just install the older version. if you are getting this error while trying to install the older version, try starting sengoku. if it crashes, then yes, you must downgrade.

Nothing of all these tips worked - but...

SOLUTION (Start-Up Crash Avoidance)

But I found the (strange) way to make Sengoku functioning: start the game, and while it loads with these hint scenes, click the Windows button on your keyboard to leave those hint scenes and switch to the Windows desktop. The game will continue to load, but won't crash anymore. Wait a little bit before you switch back to the game to give it enough time, to reach its Start screen while you wait on the Windows desktop. After that point, it seems to be save to remain inside the game and play it.

Just very sad, that none of the developers could give me this hint, I had to discover it on my own...

In my case however, I have to continue switching back and forth to Windows each 10 to 20 seconds of game time, just because I have to avoid that my laptop overheats. That would not apply to most other players.

SOLUTION (Laptop Over-Heating Avoidance)

For this (second) problem, I would strongly advise the game developing team, to publish a small patch to all existing games that adds a window mode and several smaller resolutions to the game settings.

Last edited: