• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stuckenschmidt

Deus Vult
52 Badges
Jun 25, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • BATTLETECH
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
Senate%2024_zpswhzgzfrd.jpg

Other Nation`s opinions about the Republic

Green = Friendly
Blue = Neutral
Red = Hostile (Factions in brackets are at war with Rome)
Black = No diplomatic relations

The Republic`s stance toward other Nations

Ardiaei - Trade
Athens - Alliance
Breuci -
Carthage - None
Cessetani - Trade
Daorsi - Trade
Epirus - None
Helveti -
Massilia - Trade
Norici -
Raeti -
Sparta - Trade
Syracuse - Alliance
Veneti - Trade
Volcae - Trade

Last edited:
Rules

SPQR is an interactive RTW2 campaign, in which the players constitute the Senate and make decisions toward internal politics, diplomacy and research.

I. Responsibilities

The Senate decides on the following issues:

A. Research

The Senate decides, which technology is to be researched next from the point the initial military / civil tech got researched (as of Turn 5).

B. Internal Politics

The Senate appoints / unseats commanders to Legions / Fleets as necessary.

C. Family Politics

In the case that a member of the family is in the public eye for specific reasons, the Senate decides how to deal with the appropriate issue.

D. Diplomacy

The Senate decides the diplomatic stance of the Republic toward other people. The possible stances are:

- None
- Trade Agreement
- Non-Aggression-Pact
- Defensive Treaty
- Alliance
- Client

The Senate also decides, whether the Republic declares war on other nations and the appropriate war goals.

E. Player proposals

If a player wants to get decided something by the Senate, he can send the proposal to the GM via conversation and the GM will make said proposal a topic during the next Senate session.

II. Updates

The GM will write a new update as a result of the following occurrences:

- Tech researched
- War goals achieved
- New Commander to be appointed
- Family member part of an event
- Declaration of War received

In an update the GM describes the important developments since the last update and points out the necessary decisions to be made by the Senate. At this point of time the Senate can come up with own initiatives like declaring a new war, change diplomatic stances or assign other commanders.

The Senate has to vote on all necessary questions / new initiatives within 48 hours after the update got posted. The option with the most votes wins. In case of a draw, the GM decides.

Last edited:
Senate
alkatraz777
Artistove
Caesar Czech
Daffius
Dr.Livingstone
Firehound15
oxfordroyale

Last edited:
Hello everybody. This is finally the actual game thread for the proposed interactive RTW2 campaign. The game will start Saturday or Sunday, so there is still a lot of time to sign up or ask questions. :D

Last edited:
Great to see this started!

Senate%202_zpszjuhcs2a.jpg

Rome. It is no coincidence that a once tiny village at the banks of the Tiber river was destined for greatness. Romulus and Remus, left to the wilderness to die, survived, fed by a she-wolf. And out of this hardy loins the Roman people were born. With a sense for order and bravery, but disgust for absolute power, they chased away the last King, survived the Celtic menace and subdued the nearby settlements.

During a struggle of 50 years with great losses, the Samnite Wars and the Hegemony over central Italy was won. It became obvious, that although Romans might lose a battle, they would never lose a war. This proved itself just a few years ago, when the Greek settlements in the south of Italy called for the help of King Pyrrhus of Epirus. For five years the Greek King maneuvered his troops, beat the Romans at Heraclea and Asculum, but could never break the morale of Rome and its Allies. Recently, the city of Tarentum surrendered, while Pyrrhus died a miserable death somewhere in Greece.

Central and southern Italy were secured. But new neighbors and enemies showed up. In the north the Etruscan League declared war in order to remove Rome`s hegemony. On Sicily, Syracuse is the last independent Greek city in the Magna Graecia, while Carthage controls the other half of Sicily and Sardinia. On the other side of the Adriatic Sea numerous Illyrian tribes control the northern coast, while in the south the old Greek nations of Epirus, Athens and Sparta strive for supremacy.

Rome, the eternal city, has overcome many obstacles in its history, but maybe all that was just a prelude for its inevitable rise to the most powerful city in the world.

Last edited:
Hello everybody.

Since everything is prepared, I decided to start this game today already. The first real update will come this afternoon. I intend to have 48 hour deadlines, but since this is the first round and there might be questions, we can extend it to 72 hours if necessary. As you can see, I have put links to the political map, the stats and the rules in my signature, since you can always find the updated informations in the first posts.

As I said, if you need an IC channel at Coldfront, I would appreciate it if one of you could establish it, because I am not good at it. I would add a link to it in my signature too.

Last edited:
Senate Session I

Morning in the Curia Hostilia. It was one of the rare cases that all Senators were present. Maybe because they realized, that they were witnessing a special moment in the history of the Republic. The Consul raised from his seat. This was going to be a long session with lots of important decisions, so it was better to getting started.

"Senators. We have gathered here, for the Republic is standing at a crossroad and you will have to decide, which way the Republic is going. Hence you need to come to conclusions toward the following issues."

A. War in the North

The Etruscan League has declared war on us. A bit outside our city, the Legio I under Lucius Julius Libo awaits the orders of the Senate and you have to determine our war goals.

B. Syracuse

We have signed a Trade Agreement with this important city on Sicily and you have to determine, whether this stance should be maintained or if our diplomatic stance should be altered.

C. Foreign Relations

We have currently no diplomatic stance toward the following factions:

1. Ardiaei
2. Athens
3. Carthage
4. Epirus
5. Ligurians
6. Massilia
7. Sparta
8. Veneti

Most of these nations are neutral toward us with the exception of Carthage and Epirus. Although the Pyrrhic Wars are over for a long time, Epirus still has hard feelings toward us, while Carthage is wary of our current war with the Etruscans. Please determine our future level of relationship with all these factions.

D. Commander

There are currently four honorable men eligible to vote for. Please determine, which one of them is supposed to be Commander in case one of the current Commanders dies or an additional Legion gets raised.

(Here is the first update with the mandatory decisions to make. Please see section I.D of the rules, if you are unsure about the available diplomatic stances. Of course you are free to change any of these stances during any following Senate session if the majority votes for it. Plus you can make other proposals for new wars or a change in command of existing units. Let the debate begin :))

So, I guess it's time to talk about my opinion. Firstly,

A. War in the North
I believe that due to our immense power, we should easily be able to overwhelm the pathetic Etruscans. I personally suggest we quickly siege and capture their capital with the Legio I.

B. Syracuse
I believe we should keep our diplomatic relations with Syracuse and possibly even try to negotiate an alliance with them, as they could be very useful in our current "cold war" with Carthage.

C. Foreign Relations
C-1. Ardiaei:
Trade relations
C-2. Athens: Trade relations, possibly alliance?
C-3. Carthage: Keep hostilities, possible war in the future
C-4. Epirus: See Carthage
C-5. Ligurians: Trade relations
C-6. Massilia: Trade relations
C-7. Sparta: See Athens
C-8. Veneti: Trade relations

D: Commander
If one of our Commanders die or an additional Legio is raised, L. Papirus Cursor is the man for the job. He is the best commander out of the replacements, I feel.

And that is all from me. Anyone who wishes to disagree, go right ahead. I am ready for any discussion.
- Artistove

((BTW, I created the Coldfront channel: http://www.coldfront.net/tiramisu/ type in /join #SPQR. You're welcome :)))

Here is my input on the state of things
A. War in the North
With legio l we can easily capture the Etruscan capital.

B. Syracuse
Syracuse will be a usefull ally in the eventual war with Carthage, We should seek to establish a aliance and see how things go from there.

C. Foreign Relations
C-1. The Tribes to the North:
Trade relations
C-2. Athens: Trade relations, Try for a alliance.
C-3. Carthage: war in the future
C-4. Epirus: war in the future
C-5. Massilia: Trade relations
C-6. Sparta: Trade relations
C-7. Ardiaei: Trade relations

D: Commander
If one of our Commanders die or an additional Legio is raised, L. Papirus Cursor is the best man for the job.

Senate, Brothers, Romans.

We are small now but we are strong. The world has not yet seen our power, we must show it to them. Show it in a manner that will make the world tremble, in a manner that will strike fear in their hearts and make them tremble. It is our destiny.

A)
War in the North is essential. The Italian boot must be united under roman banner, this is our number 1 priority.
Their capital should be taken first, as swiftly as possible.

B)
Trade agreement with Syracuse must stand. We are not strong enough and in my opinion, the north has to be consolidated before we can start venturing in the mediteranean

C)
Foreign relations:
1. Ardiaei - Trade relations
2. Athens - Trade relations
3. Carthage - War in the future
4. Epirus - Trade relations
5. Ligurians - No trade nor alliance, they should be due for imminent conquest and expansion
6. Massilia - Trade relations
7. Sparta - Trade relations
8. Veneti - No trade nor alliance, they should be due for imminent conquest and expansion

D)
Commander:
Legio Italica must head North with immediate effect under the eyes of Julius Libo. I disagree with senator Artistove as I believe Libo has proven his worth and is worthy commander in the North.

Legio Italica must head North with immediate effect under the eyes of Julius Libo. I disagree with senator Artistove as I believe Libo has proven his worth and is worthy commander in the North.

((Uh, Daffius, I believe that Schmidt wants to name us the most capble commander to use when a current commander dies (like L. Julius Libo) or when a new legion is made. So, yeah :p))