• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How is reserve handled at very small scale. For example, if I order an attack to 1 corps consisting of 5 divisions, will they too have reserve troops? Do you have a minimum of divisions or a ratio front line to reserve divisions?

keep up the good work guys, thaaaaaank you.

Just my 2cp but I think the reserve line being 3 provinces back is a bit far, I would prefer it only be 2 provinces behind the front lines so reserve units can get to the front quicker to meet threats.

Also, how does this work in the areas with huge provinces? Can the system work off true distances instead of numbers of provinces?

As always thanks for the update.

How is reserve handled at very small scale. For example, if I order an attack to 1 corps consisting of 5 divisions, will they too have reserve troops? Do you have a minimum of divisions or a ratio front line to reserve divisions?

It works the same way, but no, it won't use reserves if it can't even cover the front.

Just my 2cp but I think the reserve line being 3 provinces back is a bit far, I would prefer it only be 2 provinces behind the front lines so reserve units can get to the front quicker to meet threats.
Absolutely not. Defence in depth is often the only effective way of defending against more mobile opponents.

Also, Doomdark said that faster units will be prioritised for reserves, so it should work ok.

It prefers fast units, especially motorized and mechanized infantry.

Will this make it harder for the AI to perform fast breakouts, say German armor and motorized in the Low Countries? You said that on 'blitzing' the number of reserves is reduced, but it seems to me that now the AI would preferentially not use the best units for attack.

Makes perfect sense on the defense though.

Will this make it harder for the AI to perform fast breakouts, say German armor and motorized in the Low Countries? You said that on 'blitzing' the number of reserves is reduced, but it seems to me that now the AI would preferentially not use the best units for attack.

hmm, that would be a bit stupid to order blitzkrieg and all your armor is sitting as reserves...

The troop type selection for reserves in various stances is still a work in progress, as is the exact decision mechanic for when to call them in.

A small suggestion for Semper Fi:

One simple thing I'd like to see is where I've sunk convoys, on the map that is. As far as I remember the savegames keeps track on when the last convoy attack in a seazone was, so how about putting a small icon on the map in the places where convoys are sunk? They could fade away after a week or something. It would be very nice to get an indication of where your submarines are actually sucessful in sinking ships, without having to check every single sub for sunk ships.

Perhaps this could be a seperate map mode, or something? I feel it would really help out, showing where the convoy raiding is worth it, and where it's not (as in real life). This would make the battle of the atlantic much more enjoyable, and worthwhile. (and shouldn't be too hard to implement?)

hmm, that would be a bit stupid to order blitzkrieg and all your armor is sitting as reserves...

I think it's that the first line gets preference over the secondary line. So the secondary line gets the units the first line doesn't need. If there are fast units among them, then the AI will give them preference in the secondary line.

So if you're moving through Belgium with your panzerarmy, then the panzer units and a few motorized unitswill form the first line and the rest of the motorized units and the slower ones like standard infantry will be the secondary line.

Blitzkrieg on defence should be a mode based on a very mobile form of it [defence]. Therefore, fewer unit go into reserves, but mobile units are ready to fill the possible gaps in the line by utilising their speed. Also, tertiary line should be abandoned in blitzkrieg IMO, so the whole frontline is more suited for quick, responsive action, not defence in depth.

One simple thing I'd like to see is where I've sunk convoys, on the map that is. As far as I remember the savegames keeps track on when the last convoy attack in a seazone was, so how about putting a small icon on the map in the places where convoys are sunk? They could fade away after a week or something. It would be very nice to get an indication of where your submarines are actually sucessful in sinking ships, without having to check every single sub for sunk ships.

Perhaps this could be a seperate map mode, or something? I feel it would really help out, showing where the convoy raiding is worth it, and where it's not (as in real life). This would make the battle of the atlantic much more enjoyable, and worthwhile. (and shouldn't be too hard to implement?)

I think you will be pleased then. ;)

In my opinion it is not that strange to keep a strategic reserve of mobile troops such as motorised infantry even when you are blitzing. I just presume that the algorithm that calculate the reserve will understand that the strategic reserve will be much lower and that low softness units should be prioritised for offence and not reserve duty. I would rather keep an infantry division in reserve during a blitz than a mechanised or armoured unit. I would not mind having motorised units stay in the second line at any time if there are plenty enough of them to go around.

Hey, great idea! (But off topic here)