• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I can just, just, JUST envision military collaboration between the Japanese and Soviets against the US / UK. But yeah, to the extent Japan starts landing in Europe in support of the Comintern we're still in 1.0 'Mexican D-Day Bremen '39' limbo..

How about giving the Belgians and Dutch all those divisions as expeditionary forces. :rolleyes: Those 25+ divisions were 5 times as much as the entire US war effort :rofl:

But the important thing is Russia actually fights now. That has to count for a great deal.

Yes, this cannot be stressed enough.

I think Russia is fighting better because they dont have to guard the border with Japan and its puppet. I assume when they fix the Japan issue, this wont be the case anymore, causing less forces to be ready on the German Front.

I think Russia is fighting better because they dont have to guard the border with Japan and its puppet. I assume when they fix the Japan issue, this wont be the case anymore, causing less forces to be ready on the German Front.

I think they will still fight well even with Japan as Axis. In this AAR the Germans did not even make it as far as they did historically and they didn't even have a western front to contend with thanks to a lazy UK and US.

I did a handsoff AAR before release

Thanks by the way. That AAR helped convince me to buy. But it was still only one. We needed more samples :)

Ive ran quite a bit of hands off games already, tweeking values though..so I dont have a vanilla game anymore lol.

I guess i fixed the Greenland Iceland event to fire if the British take Iceland. They give it to the USA as intended. I wanna fix it to be like HOI2 though where its British from the day Denmark falls. Then around the historical time the British give it to the Americans.

My last test game went pretty historical alliance wise, but by 48 the game blew up into a bunch of weird wars. The soviets were bearly hanging on, and both Germany, USA, USSR were out of manpower. Germany had 845IC, the USA 1450, and Japan had 3600 manpower lol...but yea..here is the map if it matters..

feb48.jpg

Yes that Romania in Greece BTW. Greece and taken out Bulgaria earlier. But fell after Romania joined the axis giving direct land access to Greece via Germany.

Something wonky about Yugoslavia ive seen in all the test games. They join no alliance, and Germany never makes a move to attack them. Yugoslavia is like switzerland for some reason.

My guess is that the AI goals for Japan might changes due to having different VPs maybe? *shrug*.

On a side note...has anybody had Italy annex Ethopia vs Puppet? I havent had a annex yet in any test games...

Sorry to hijack so much, but I cant start any threads of my own due to my 1 year 1 month 12 day probation now. On another side note I believe the swedish problem is just a lack of transports for Germany, in the 36 start. Germany doesnt seem to build ship transports before the start of the war with Norway. Thusly they have no capacity to attack norway, and therefore just go the most direct way...through sweden... Im tempted to add an event where after the attack on Denmark Germany gets say like 3 transports via event or something...kinda like it was done in HOI2

See...this event does exist lol. I think I got it working now, only requirements are it be past Jan 1 1940 (reasonable) and that the British control Iceland (AI will do it if germany doesnt garrison iceland ASAP, otherwise the british seem to never invade it if there are german garrisons there).

icelandgreenland.jpg

Uh oh! Nevermind about giving the Germans 3 transports lol. I did that event.....and they invaded Norway alright...with a decent amount of their army....unfortually AI germany...forgot about France...and now France is just rampaging though Germany right now while about a 1/4 of the German Army is stuck in Norway..... This.....this might end my AI game before 1942 lol.

Germany fought back, but Paris didnt fall till Sept 9th, 1941. Japan (an axis member) just attacked the United States here in Nov 1941. France....Still exists! go AI france! Germany is so screwed now. Most their forces are dead in Norway. Giving them 3 transports was a HUGE mistake. Now i know why its set up for Germany to attack Sweden. If they transport to Norway they send too much of their army, and then british-french subs destroy all the supply convoys...and then half of Germanies army is now supply dead in Norway and with no way to get home. Norway believe it or not, is gonna eventually take back all of Norway they are pushing south again from Narvik...

wow...in all my years of HOI2 and HOI3, Ive never had an AI vs AI hands off game where Germany failed to force france into Vichy. It appears thats gonna happen now. All because I game Germany 3 transport ships for Norway. Amazing how such a little effect could have such a diaster for a nation. On a side note, I tweeked some AI files too....USA is aggressive as hell now. Use these pictures as evidence. Right after Japans Dow America went straight for the gut of Japan, when have you EVER seen that?. And they are also helping France amazingly hold out! The tide is turned though. Germany will now fall. Its only a matter of time. The american wave is coming. All because of 3 transports...haha...

I love this new HOI3!! Its the game it should of been. For once im angry i have to go to bed before this game pans out completely!

oki.jpg

herecomesamerica.jpg

In my game, Denmark must have failed to release Iceland to the Brits, so it's owned by GER. Japan stalemated in China around Beijing, and the Germans BP'ed the Sovs. It's 1944 and the US is almost into the Axis and about to conquer Panama and Mexico.

"Early Nov. Japan lands a force in N-France and it fails.... ????" hahahaah... I can't in my wildest imagination, believe the Japanese high command would consider such a project. How could they support the landing anyway and keep it supplied? NOT to mention Japan EVER joining the Soviets for anything. They hated the Russians as a people and there is no way in HELL the Japanese people would have sided with the Soviets for anything no matter how much political leverage Stalin pushed on Hirohito. Don't forget the embarrassing episode(for the Russians) called the Russo-Japanese war of 1904-05 so there is no way either nation would trust the other anyway.

This idiotic "global level" AI behavior ruins the "flavor" of the game to me. The flavor is "WW2" not "Risk with a WW2 map."

I agree with this. We should at least have option which if enabled before start of the game would prevent such absurd situations.

It is my opinion that major part of the reason why AI vs. AI fight are easier for defender are that offensive AI is incompetent.

- it never concentrate tanks/other powerfull units
- lots of units are in reserve even if AI is set to Blitzkrieg stance
- AI seems to be incapable of recognizing difference between breakthough and danger of encirclement (units conquer new province only to retreat ASAP despite not being attacked or any other logical reason for retreat - it seems that AI consider such situation as if it was defending and enemy tried to encircle that new provinceso it pulls back.
- AI is still very passive about using its entire air force to support offensive operations.

I can still win as both Germany and USSR without building single tank or aircraft. If I build "normal" army + airforce I just wipe the floor with AI.

How many of you have ever seen the US occupation of Greenland and Iceland event fire?

I saw it happen in my most recent unmodded Semper Fi game as Germany. It seems to me that the Brits will capture Iceland if you don't garrison it and whenever that happens the event fires. I could be mistaken though, and this might just be a one in one million chance occurrence, as I have so far only played one game of Semper Fi.

Thank you for the efforts, although it was hands off. ;) My favourite has always been Tibet as well since the first HoI. Good to know that I must deactivate the diplomatic AI if I want to make sure that it remains neutral.

Hmm, the resistance of the Soviet Union seems to be fixed, an Allied victory seems to be the most likely outcome again. I remember hands off games in HoI 2 in which the Soviet Union has always been defeated.

Japan landing in Europe was an oddity.

In my view the two greatest problems are the fact that the Western Allies do not do much or even nothing but leave continental Europe to Germany.

However if the Western Allies would do a massive invasion I fear Germany would lose unrealistically early. Then the Soviet Union must be tweaked a little bit.

And there is still a problem to make sure that Germany (and perhaps other countries) do not keep annexed territory after a surrender.

Respond to Blitznor:

Yes, you are right! I had not noticed that. That is another bug. I know for a fact that the Soviet Union and Finnland were never at war. I would guess that the same event that gave the Soviet Union the Baltic countries also gave them those parts of Finnland or maybe they got the lands for free in the "Finnish Winter War" event but I am not 100% certain and I don't have a save from that long ago. That is concerning. :(

EDIT: I added this information to the first post. Thanks for pointing it out.

an odd thing as in my SP 2.0 game Finland and the USSR had a slugfest going on with great gains for Finland... until the massive hordes overran the country in the end.