• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Konigi

Sergeant
54 Badges
Apr 6, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
One of the reasons I like having vassals is that they do a lot of micro-managements on my behalf during wars. For instance, they will take care of the carpet sieging and defend against ennemies in distant borders while I take care of the important battles and sieges. They do have the option of receiving military focus after all. But one does not always have vassals around, and sometimes it makes more sense to annex than to keep a vassal.

I propose the ability to grant missions to one's specific armies, in a similar fashion that navies can be granted missions and vasals be granted military focus. These missions could simply include:
  • Siege
  • Defend
    • and even better: "Defend/patrol a specific region/border"
  • Support (they would stay close to other units that attack or siege)
  • Watch rebels
    • It could be handy when one is on the edge of rebellious insurgence but when is already engaged in a war; could be useful during peace time as well. Those armies would just on provinces that have high level of unrest, especially those close of having rebels being spawned.

Say I have 5 armies of 20 units each. I could keep control of three while one is being asked to siege (i.e. carpet siege behind me) and another one asked to patrol in the homeland in case I am being attacked by surprise. These two latter units would then be controlled by the AI in the same fashion that vassals' armies are, because they get specific missions. Those missions could be cancelled at any time, obviously. And a specific icon can be placed beside that army in the same way there's an icon when they are drilling or when they have a leader. Or it can be in another colour (for instance, the army is red when engaged in a battle).

This would become particularly handy when attacking countries that have large territories and few forts (such as Russia) or during a war that has multiple fronts (hence the probability of being attacked by surprise in a region far away).

Upvote 0
Entrench ability could be good for defensive bonus or to hold on to a chokepoint as would a resupply ability, making the army very vulnerable but faster at replenishing its ranks.

Entrench ability could be good for defensive bonus or to hold on to a chokepoint as would a resupply ability, making the army very vulnerable but faster at replenishing its ranks.

Love those ideas! It could enhance the strategies of the wars, adding new layers of what one can do.

The entrenching option could perhaps appear later through military technologies, in the same way than Force March appears.