Sectors shouldn't treasure up resources but instead - over a limit - give you everything they earn

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cheydinal

Second Lieutenant
19 Badges
Mar 31, 2016
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
Of course they would only do that if they don't build buildings or other things instead. And they don't give you all they already got (thousands) but only what they are earning above this limit.

I think this limit should be a little above what they need (of this resource) for the most expensive building they could possibly construct (at that moment, I don't mean like 100k because later in the game you *could* build something that expensive. Only what's available). This way they will always be able to build every structure they possibly can AND you will benifit from this by getting the resources they don't need.

For example in my current game my sector makes +36 a day, while I lose -31...

Reactions:
I just came on to say the same thing. I'm watching my finances while my sectors have 5000 stored up. I can give them $$ and materials, why can't I take them back. Also, do they not use strategic resources even when I built the building?

Hopefully this is an aspect of the game which will be upgraded soon.

Reactions:
In theory they should spend it on improving themselves. But I don't know if they actually do. If you feel like they have too many resources you could tax them 100% until they've spent what they have. And only drip feed them through direct donations from then on.

What happens when the sector caps out in energy or minerals? Just goes to waste rather than dumping it back into the national economy?

Reactions:
Simple solution, adjust tax sliders so it goes to 100% or even 125% to drain the sector of resources which may be needed in times of war. Should be easy enough to implement.

Reactions:
It's a fundamental design flaw.

- Sectors aim for positive income in both minerals & energy (regardless of the priority they're given)
- Eventually they'll run out of things to spend money on. (upgrading is finite, expansion is finite, and they don't build fleets).

Also, if you ever destroy a sector (by adding its last star system to another sector), poof go their entire stockpile!

Reactions:
Of course they would only do that if they don't build buildings or other things instead. And they don't give you all they already got (thousands) but only what they are earning above this limit.

I think this limit should be a little above what they need (of this resource) for the most expensive building they could possibly construct (at that moment, I don't mean like 100k because later in the game you *could* build something that expensive. Only what's available). This way they will always be able to build every structure they possibly can AND you will benifit from this by getting the resources they don't need.

This suggestion is brilliant! It would be a neat and easy solution to the "sector resource problem"

If it only had been posted in the suggestion forum... Oh well :(

Reactions:
Can't get contribution rates of more than 75%. Just piled up energy there but at least did some good development .

What if that last planet of a sector is conquered by enemy - do they get a trove of loot? Or could a corrupt governor use that fortune to break away or revolt?

I'd suggest:

• get rid of per-sector stockpiles; there is only 1 empire stockpile
  • everything sectors produce goes into the empire stockpile
  • in the planet management window you specify a monthly energy & mineral budget for each sector. (instead of the tax rate + energy/mineral dumping UI we have at the moment)
  • the budget allocation doesn't get deducted from the stockpile.
  • unspent budget allocation will roll over to the following month(s). So if you allocate them +10 minerals/month, they won't attempt buy something costing 100 minerals until 10 months of budget have accrued.
  • the stockpile tooltip will show you how much unspent budget allocation each of your sectors has accrued.
  • to stop high contention when the empire stockpile is low, have sectors only buy when the stockpile is above some threshold. (e.g. 1000 energy/minerals)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Would make it easier for the player, but the current approach feels more realistic than the whole set of changes above. But some of them would be a good fit.

Reactions:

Amen to that.

Reactions:
I don't think sector stockpiles should get scrapped, but you should be able to demand resources from your sectors in emergencies, possibly at the cost of influence points, and likely with the result that the sector gets angry with you (lost happiness, risk of unrest, what have you).

Other than that, the sector contributing a percentage of both its income and its stockpile would greatly help.

That, and perhaps the ability to toggle whether they stockpiled resources or handed them to the player when they had nothing to spend resources on.

I like the idea of setting resource stockpile caps for sectors, too. Anything above the cap would be sent to you.

Reactions:
I'd suggest:

• get rid of per-sector stockpiles; there is only 1 empire stockpile
  • everything sectors produce goes into the empire stockpile
  • in the planet management window you specify a monthly energy & mineral budget for each sector. (instead of the tax rate + energy/mineral dumping UI we have at the moment)
  • the budget allocation doesn't get deducted from the stockpile.
  • unspent budget allocation will roll over to the following month(s). So if you allocate them +10 minerals/month, they won't attempt buy something costing 100 minerals until 10 months of budget have accrued.
  • the stockpile tooltip will show you how much unspent budget allocation each of your sectors has accrued.
  • to stop high contention when the empire stockpile is low, have sectors only buy when the stockpile is above some threshold. (e.g. 1000 energy/minerals)

I really like these ideas.

Reactions:
Sectors are like Vassals from CK2 or colonial nations from EU4. The money is theirs, not yours.

I like the idea of taxing them 125% but that should be at the cost of happiness of the pops there.

Reactions:
Sectors are like Vassals from CK2 or colonial nations from EU4. The money is theirs, not yours.

Except they aren't.

• You can grow or shrink their power base whenever you want.
  • You can create & destroy them whenever you want.
  • They're faceless; they have no political representation on the global(galactic) level.
  • They do not cause internal strife, nor are there satisfactory mechanisms present to control such strife if it did exist.
  • They don't do anything for you besides badly manage your planetary construction. They neither field armies, nor expand of their own volition.
At the moment they are nothing more than a clunky & poorly performing micro-management mitigation tool.

If PI intend to flesh them out to be as significant as vassals in CK2, they've got a LOOOOONG way to go; so much is missing.

I'd rather they made them work properly in the role they currently serve, than be stuck with a shitty implementation while they get around to implementing such a long-term vision.

Reactions:
Except they aren't.

• You can grow or shrink their power base whenever you want.
  • You can create & destroy them whenever you want.
  • They're faceless; they have no political representation on the global(galactic) level.
  • They do not cause internal strife, nor are there satisfactory mechanisms present to control such strife if it did exist.
  • They don't do anything for you besides badly manage your planetary construction. They neither field armies, nor expand of their own volition.
At the moment they are nothing more than a clunky & poorly performing micro-management mitigation tool.

If PI intend to flesh them out to be as significant as vassals in CK2, they've got a LOOOOONG way to go; so much is missing.

I'd rather they made them work properly in the role they currently serve, than be stuck with a shitty implementation while they get around to implementing such a long-term vision.

Except the devs have said the vision for them is much more than just a micro-management tool, and they've said the plan to work on improving them.

Seriously out of all the things "wrong" with sectors, the fact they end up with stockpiles of money is pretty much trivial.

The problem is people are approaching sectors from a "I want to Micromanage everything" and "they're part of my empire therefor I should have control over everything". Both of those are contrary to the design intent of sectors.

Just because they don't work 100% right now means that intent is flawed, just the execution of that intent.

But also for crying out loud the game is two weeks old. Give them a bit of time to sort it out.

Losing money? Learn to balance your own economy (or take money from the AI for minerals per month) before whining yet again about sectors.

Reactions:
Eh. Your sectors shouldn't provide everything they have to you. It's important that you get less out of a sector's planet than you get out of your own.

Reactions: