• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Smartguy725

Second Lieutenant
52 Badges
Aug 12, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
I'm a bit of a brainlet when it comes to the different Christian and Muslim sects in even vanilla CK2. Can anyone be so kind as to inform me of the differences (not mechanic-wise) between the more "similar" Christian and Muslim sects and heresies?

For Christianity, I mainly have a hard time finding the differences between Monothelite, Monophysite, Miaphysite (Apostolic and Coptic), the different Syriac rites, etc

Monothelite is a braindead anachronism. It was the official Imperial attempt to bridge the difference between the different Miaphysite Churches in the East and official Orthodoxy. The Mardaite rebels of the mountains of Northern Syria that the Caliph later paid the Eastern Romans to take off his hands could or could not be remnants of the Monothelites. I have chosen to make them Maronites instead

The Maronites were basically Orthodox Christians, who started developing in their own direction when they were cut off from Constantinople

Monophysite is just what Orthodox Christians labelled Miaphysites. Its basically just another way of describing a Miaphysite

Apostolic, Western Syriac and Coptic are different Miaphysite Churches. They were in communion with each other, but there weren't really such a thing as a unified Miaphysite Church, as even Paradox acknowledges in the way they are setting up religions in CK3

Eastern Syriac is the Church of the East, Nestorian Christians

Last edited:
Monophysite is a Vanilla leftover. Before Miaphysite was introduced they were called Monophysite in Vanilla. I seem to recall it was left in place to maintain as much Vanilla compatibility as possible

And yeah, the Churches were of different culture, they had slighly different Liturgical Rites and different heads