• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

el_kloklo

Sergeant
3 Badges
Oct 2, 2009
  • Galactic Assault
  • Majesty 2
  • 500k Club
Hello all.

I've created a map, without any story and objectives excepted staying alive. Placement are done randomly, and monster aren't to agressive. I'm not as pretentious as saying this is the sandbox, but I tried to create something close. I specially thanks brainbag, for the help he gave me.

update of 21 november
http://www.mediafire.com/?nicmgkhwalz

update of 11 november

http://www.mediafire.com/?w5ogznmqzzn

EDIT :
you have to put the *.pak file here:
...\Majesty 2\resource\map\single_missions

IMPORTANT :
-trading posts are on the rogue house placement, and holy grounds on the dark portal. That's due to the limit of placing randomly these ones.
-DO NOT SAVE AT DAY 1

Last edited:
When you say placements are done randomly, what do you mean exactly? Just lairs are random? How did you get it to do random placement? I'm at work now, and busy tonight, so I can't try the map until tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to it.

By random I mean :
*your castle is placed randomly in several places.
*The lair are placed randomly, and it's random if the type are present or not.
*The holy grounds and market place are placed randomly.
*The evolution of wave of the lair is done randomly.
*Your gold is a bit randomized.
*Wave of invaders spawn at random map border, at random intervals.
What is fixed is :
*the map design
*the buildable/walkable zone
*the several location possible for randomness

You have to extract the wizards_woe.pak file, rename the wizards_woe.mi file to single_07.mi, and then add the extracted "map" dir to the resource.pak file. It will work fine then.

Or, instead of adding it to the resource.pak file, you can rename the resource.std/resource.std_1_01.pak file to something else, then replace it with wizards_woe.pak. That pak isn't changed and replacing it doesn't hurt anything.
Of course modify where applied for this other quest (probably want to call it single_08).

They do. I have the patched version and just played this mission.

I have to say; good work! Although you might want to rephrase "sandbox" with "Survival map 4: Total Massacre". Just got totally wiped out.

* Dark Portals spawn Ice Mages. They defend their portal though, and do not attack wandering heroes. Fortunately... since they are lvl 10/20.
* There is a small bug in the spawncode. Nothing you can do though, it's a core issue. However, this certainly makes things more difficult. Will post more info later when I got more time to go deeply into this.
* One of the crypts found it funny to replace it's ghosts with ogres. Ouch. Not a small number either.
* The Rogues lair doesn't seem to spawn anything? I also got so unlucky it spawned on top of a trading spot (oh, nevermind, just spotted your edit...).
* Trading spots and Holy Places got no overview. You have to spot them on the mini-map, then click about till you find it... just to find out which of the 2 it is! This sucks a little bit (also mentioned in your edit, though).

* At day 80 the Imp Advisor attacks! It's not like I had 8 Ogres, hordes of Demons and Imps and Minotaurs and Ghost and bears to defeat still. Auch.
And that was the end of my base. The Advisor killed half my ill-prepared heroes, and the mob did the rest...

that's the bad issue about too much randomness. Last time I've tried, the invader didn't show before day 135. Sometimes it's easier and sometimes harder.
I presonally found that generally it's too easy, monster spawning slowly. But sometimes Luck is wrong, and it's very hard
Oh well, I clearly recommend you to eliminate lair which get too annoying to avoid being overwhelmed

About the ice mage, They are, to my mind, weaker than the standard elemental gardian, and also they don't attack if you don't threat them.

About the spawnbug, If you found more info I could check it.

About ogre in crypt, I'll look at it.

About rogue lair and dark portal, that's the only way I found to place indicator.

Also I'll be very interested in one or two screen showing your lair repartitions

Last edited:
Oh well, I clearly recommend you to eliminate lair which get too annoying to avoid being overwhelmed
I wanted to do so, but it was rather hard with ghosts pooring in in the dozens, together with massive amounts of demons and serpents as well. That each lair was defended by massive hosts didn't help much either, heroes are pretty reluctant to attack 8 bears at once.
Guess I got pretty unlucky in my placements though, I couldn't even target the ghosts because my heroes didn't dare explore past the bear dens blocking the path, which kept getting harder and harder because heroes trying to go after it's flag got 8 bears and 10 ghosts to combat...
About the ice mage, They are, to my mind, weaker than the standard elemental gardian, and also they don't attack if you don't threat them.
Never got around to try them. One portal got destroyed by my heroes on it's own because they do that with portals, and got the holy site (didn't know they were related though, read that here later). However once I got my Paladins out there, the Imp Advisor and the Ogre host arrived to kill my city.
About the spawnbug, If you found more info I could check it.
Like I said, you probably can't help it, since it's an error in the way upgrades are done, which is unnoticable in the missions provided because monsters generally do not stick around their lairs to defend them, and if they do those lairs generally do not upgrade.
The bug is that when there is an upgrade done, all statistics (of the upgraded part) reset to 0/X. Meaning there are new slots for monsters around lairs to spawn and protect their lair. But the old ones still roam around too! While they do not respawn, their presence alone makes lair destruction a lot harder. Not that much an issue in the campaign as I said because the behavior is rare if used at all, but in this map creatures do roam around their lair and upgrading is more frequent. Allowing for example 8 bears to roam around a lair with a max of 4, or 20(!) ghosts for a 5 lair. See also the screenshot (that immediately shows off the ogre).
Example:
Bear dens start with 0/2. All fine. With 2/2 2 bears roam around a lair, like they should. Lair updates to 2x 0/2. Now 6 bears roam about, while the max should be 4. Once it upgrades to 2x bear and one greater bear one of the 2 resets to 0/2 again (probably the "upgrade" of that specific spawn, as the other remains 2/2). Now 8 bears and 1 greater bear roam around a 4 and 1 max lair. Same happens with several others, and this makes destruction while very late in the quest much harder.
Example for a Crypt defense:

Also I'll be very interested in one or two screen showing your lair repartitions
Day 54. Only managed to down 4 lairs so far. A dark portal, rogues guild and graveyard, all starting very close to my base, and a Serpent nest somewhat further out.
Lowest one is a dark portal, to it's left is a bear den.
Around my base are the obvious sewers. Upper right is a minotaur pyriamid. The 2 flagged at the top are a Serpent nest and bear den. Left is a Portal to Hell. Streams of undead flow out of locations I had yet to find, when this happened:

That costed me a couple of buildings before they finally got seperated enough for my heroes to kill them (damn, wish I had lightning storm).
And of course it all ended when the Imp Advisor arrived at the scene. Did however manage to finally destroy the 3 bear dens and the final serpents nest, when the "hidden" crypts starting sprewing Ogres, heavily defended by ghosts (as seen on the screen earlier):
(It may seem quiet, but that's because the waves made place for the ogres. The waves were worse, so I thought all could still end well when the Imp started killing my heroes and blowing up my buildings :(, nope...)

Anyway, gonna give it another whirl now :D.

I was aware of the bug of reset spawn, when I see 3 elemental guarding their lair instead of single one, but you're right I can't do anything about that, or yes, I could destroy by script the previous guardian before spawning a new one, if you really think this make the map so much harder.

For minotaurs lair and co, there is a safety zone around your base deleting lair a few second after start, you probably have seen lair appearing in the early second of the game. these ranges are diverse depending of the lair level, the bigger is the monster, the farther he have to be.

About 200 rat and Imp advisor, this is an "invasion", which will spawn time to time, but it seems that the day countdown work half correctly, because you shouldn't have invasion before day 100. Dunno how the counter work at the end.

Anyway, there could be lair outside the map limit, which will spawn monster normally, but it never bored me, because it's generally nothing more than one or two. If you think there made the game damn too hard, it's possible to remove them.

However, I hope you should get fun at your second attempt, but if people found the whole really hard, it's possible to lower spawn rate. I'm open to advice.

Second attempt: A wave of imps caches my lvl 3 (maximum) heroes unaware on day 11. Death follows.

Third attempt: Noticed an oddity after the lairs got removed that my money counter would randomly go up and down with 50. Probably intended, restarted to check.

Fourth attempt: Yes, intended (I guess). Started the map with a dark portal next to my castle, as well as 2 rogues guilds. Neat! However the portal started spawning mages and so did one of the guilds. Fortunately it seems the Ice Mages don't really care even if you attack their lair, and the newly spawned ones of a defeated lair dissapear in smoke immediately when finding they lack a home. How nice :). The 2 caravans with 300 gold each certainly made it easier. So I had a nice smooth sailing, until a heavy attack on day 45; Imps, Demons, Wolves, undead, 2 vampires, 2 dragons and 1 bearman all attacked me at the same time! Survived without loss of life or buildings though. Next dragon wave I was less lucky, there went my blacksmith and a guardtower.
All seemed well and I kept off wave after wave of dragons and imps when on day 60 a full-power Demon of Logic appeared on my doorstep. I think you can guess the result. Seems like I am a n00b after all... :(.

Diffiuclty is okay, IF "invasions" did wait for 100 days...

Last edited:
Okay made an update/corrective with higher probability of temple/trading post presence, corrected the lich/ogre bug, and set a delay instead of a counter. normally no invasion before day 100 now.

Thank you so much for creating this map, it's exactly what I was looking for. The first time I played 5 dragons attacked and destroyed my town at the same time. Awesome! :cool: The next two times I managed to clear the map but the challenge remained.

This custom map is more fun than any quest in the campaign, by far. I love taking on 3 bearmen, 15 ghosts, 4 fire elementals, and a group of minotaurs at the same time. Some things I noticed:

1. The bug with the health bars that causes the graphics to flicker does not exist. I don't know what you did but I never had to turn my health bars off.

2. The first time I played I had a fence (wall) around half of my town. Very cool. How did you add a feature that wasn't in the regular game?

3. The mission can't be beat? I cleared the map twice but it just kept on going, is there an ending or does it go on forever?

@eggroll
I don't know what you talk about the health bar bug, so I couldn't say what I've done.
The fence is a decorum element, like trees and stone. I didn't add it in the game, I've used it from the object libraries
The mission can't be beat, but the "invaders" are here to ensure you don't got bored about time. And well, at the later day, you'll probably be in hard difficulty by continuous wave.

Nice to see it peased you

The health bar bug causes the graphics to flicker when things get hectic on the screen. It tends to happen in multiplayer and Pretenders to the Throne but it can appear in any quest. After playing this custom map 3 more times I can confirm that the bug, for some unknown reason, does not exist here. I don't know why but I won't question a good thing. :) Some other things I noticed:

1. There are no treasure chests. Is it intentional? Perhaps it is for the best, the last thing we need is a rogue collecting treasure while the town is being overrun by monsters.

2. The graveyard can spawn on top of the fence. The last game I played I had my defenses set up perfectly, taking into account the wall on the east side of my town. My first hero died on day 70 and the graveyard spawned on the fence. Soon after a horde of bearmen and elementals walked right through the opening and destroyed my unguarded market place and magic bazaar. Ouch :(

3. Parties are more useful than in the normal campaign due to the high number of monsters surrounding lairs. Single heroes get scared when they see 10+ wolves surrounding a den but a party will just run in swinging.

4. The terrain is more diverse and interesting than the regular missions. You're a good designer, I really like all the small hills throughout the map. The regular quests had a lot of flat land with huge mountains that can't be crossed but this map allows us to actually battle on top of the hills. It's a small detail but it makes for a more enjoyable experience. If you decide to make another map it would be cool if you used the night time graphics from the quest with the ancient lich.

fav map of the game cleared first try frist boss was acent lich kill him with some loses 2nd was ancent lick and the skeleton king at the same time still won by kill king while lich was hitting a guild i would repair losed at day 200 something when ancent lich skeleton king and the imp aviser all atked at once to much aoe to handle tryed to load game but it just crashes also had a problem with a sewer spawning on a trade post after i had killed the rogue hut couldnt build the trade post great map much enjoyed

5 and a half thumbs up for getting it closer to what this game should have been than anything in the entire game. And indeed, 2-3 of the in-games bugs seem to not appear in your map. Bonus :)

P.S.: THIS IS WHY WE NEED AN EDITOR. Seriously. You guys at Ino-Co pick up this map, play it, make ammends and get your game together.