Season Pass stops at three or keeps going?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

luke.0

Recruit
25 Badges
Oct 19, 2018
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Hi,

Season pass description reads:

The BATTLETECH Season Pass includes all future BATTLETECH expansions at a discounted price.

and then immediatly:

In addition to all the current game content, Season Pass holders will have access to three upcoming expansions.

So, Paradox has a reputation for cranking out the DLCs... And I suspect that the decision around how much they make isn't finalized yet, they'll wait and see how the current stuff goes. So there may be more or there may not.

What does this mean for the season pass? If they decide to make more, will it be included as the first sentence suggests? Or will the season pass only give you three, as the second sentence suggests?

Will buy it either way, just curious and would like clarification.

The Season Pass only covers three expansions.
Thank-you for clarifying @Dnote

I alluded to this before in a couple of posts. The wording on Steam, not sure about GOG or any other platforms is confusing and if possible should be altered to be very explicit about the Flapshpoints and the next 2 DLC expansions being bundled into the Season Pass.

Thank-you for clarifying @Dnote

I alluded to this before in a couple of posts. The wording on Steam, not sure about GOG or any other platforms is confusing and if possible should be altered to be very explicit about the Flapshpoints and the next 2 DLC expansions being bundled into the Season Pass.

We're on it, or at least the lovely sales person is.

We're on it, or at least the lovely sales person is.
TY....most of us Die hard fans can read between the lines or know where to find the answers but from a purely selfish standpoint, I obviously want to see PDX and HBS do as well as possible here and not let confusion affect a purchase decision for consumers....:) Keep up the great work....exciting times.....

So I take it after the third DLC that HBS will be moving on to their next Software release (hopefully BattleTech II :) )

Or maybe to a BIG expansion, with its own Campaign, like the 4th Succession War? :D
That is a question I guess we're about a year away at the very least of getting an answer or tease to...

So I take it after the third DLC that HBS will be moving on to their next Software release (hopefully BattleTech II :) )
That's some impressive speculation there, I'm not sure even HBS knows what they'll do after the third expansion. BATTLETECH 2? Crimson Skies? Shadowrun 4? Three more DLCs for BATTLETECH? The future will tell.

I definitely don't see a need for BattleTech 2. The base engine was hopefully designed for ease of expansion (based on Roguetech I say it is), so that they can keep adding more mission types, mechs, functions, skills, etc. I would expect 1-2 DLCs per year for the next 3-6 years. Since BT is a universe with a long timeline, they could throw engine upgrades into the free expansion, and eventually support the game all the way up to 3067 when the timeline stops.

Then they can go back to the Amaris Civil War and the Fall of the Star League for another pair of campaigns/DLCs (RWR side/SLDF side for the invasion of the RWR, and then the reconquest of the TH).

I definitely don't see a need for BattleTech 2. The base engine was hopefully designed for ease of expansion (based on Roguetech I say it is), so that they can keep adding more mission types, mechs, functions, skills, etc. I would expect 1-2 DLCs per year for the next 3-6 years. Since BT is a universe with a long timeline, they could throw engine upgrades into the free expansion, and eventually support the game all the way up to 3067 when the timeline stops.

Then they can go back to the Amaris Civil War and the Fall of the Star League for another pair of campaigns/DLCs (RWR side/SLDF side for the invasion of the RWR, and then the reconquest of the TH).
:( which would mean I'd be dead before I got to play all of BATTLETECH:eek::cool:

Conversely, I feel like the game is only really suited to 3025 play with a sprinkling of lostech. Trying to incorporate regular use of things like DHS and XL engines would just be problematic IMO, and would require a game built from the ground up to support them properly.

Conversely, I feel like the game is only really suited to 3025 play with a sprinkling of lostech. Trying to incorporate regular use of things like DHS and XL engines would just be problematic IMO, and would require a game built from the ground up to support them properly.
There have no doubt been a ton of Lessons Learned along the way to BATTLETECH's Launch. Some of which would no doubt benefit the development of ground up, purpose-built BATTLETECH 2.0... hopefully for Fourth Succession War, then three more FLASHPOINT-like episodic expansions before a CLAN INVASION expansion built from a BATTLETECH 3.0 version.

Yeah, that would possibly be the next 5 or so years of BATTLETECH Development. And I'd pre-order every single bit of it... though I would quitely lament the loss of SWAG that might have accompanied a HBS follow-on Kickstarter to BATTLETECH-baseline game. :bow:

I think 4th Succession War, which is mainly story, and/or more 3025 tech level with sprinkling of lostech can be expansions. But I think going to the next tech level would be best as a second game.

But we appear to be a ways before even HBS puts real thought into that step.

It might require some engine changes, but it wouldn't necessarily require building a whole new game, and I've felt for awhile now that a lot of companies are throwing away perfectly good games when they could easily expand them add new features, story campaigns, etc.

It's one of the things I love about Paradox games in general (I've been playing Stellaris for years, and it's changed and improved constantly over that time, which both keeps it fresh while at the same time allowing me to enjoy a lot of what I loved about the game again and again), it's also one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Early Access which is literally about the game being refined and improved for years.

I'm finding that I buy less and less other games as time goes on, I don't want a game that comes out doesn't really change or improve and then stops being supported, I want games that are released and get refined. It's a far more sustainable model from a games development perspective, and it makes me feel that I get more value for money (especially as a lot of these updates are free with only parts of them usually the story components locked behind DLC).

I liked that HBS's old Shadowrun games were all basically the same game system just with different campaigns put on top of it, and I'm really looking for more of the same with Battletech. I want to see years worth of DLC, and there never to really be a "Battletech II" but merely more mechs, and campaigns spread across the timeline. I have a few other things I'd like to see as well since to be honest I don't think HBS on their own could keep up with the amount of DLC that I'd like to see, but we shall see how it goes.

It might require some engine changes, but it wouldn't necessarily require building a whole new game, and I've felt for awhile now that a lot of companies are throwing away perfectly good games when they could easily expand them add new features, story campaigns, etc.

It's one of the things I love about Paradox games in general (I've been playing Stellaris for years, and it's changed and improved constantly over that time, which both keeps it fresh while at the same time allowing me to enjoy a lot of what I loved about the game again and again), it's also one of the reasons I'm a big fan of Early Access which is literally about the game being refined and improved for years.

I'm finding that I buy less and less other games as time goes on, I don't want a game that comes out doesn't really change or improve and then stops being supported, I want games that are released and get refined. It's a far more sustainable model from a games development perspective, and it makes me feel that I get more value for money (especially as a lot of these updates are free with only parts of them usually the story components locked behind DLC).

I liked that HBS's old Shadowrun games were all basically the same game system just with different campaigns put on top of it, and I'm really looking for more of the same with Battletech. I want to see years worth of DLC, and there never to really be a "Battletech II" but merely more mechs, and campaigns spread across the timeline. I have a few other things I'd like to see as well since to be honest I don't think HBS on their own could keep up with the amount of DLC that I'd like to see, but we shall see how it goes.
Not sure Shadowrun is a good example as those were different games rather than one big game. That supports those of us who think they should be separate games. :D

And whose to say they can't suppose the 3025 game if there is a 3050 (or Star League, or whatever) game also out? It's doable, if people are still willing to buy the DLC.

It might require some engine changes, but it wouldn't necessarily require building a whole new game...
It wouldn't technically be engine changes -- any sequels would almost certainly run on Unity so they can reuse as many assets as possible -- but would be changes to the way the under-the-hood code works. The game has no concept of things like engine crits, which would make extensive implementation of XL engines problematic, and there's a whole lot of other things that would be needed for regular use of lostech to be done properly.

It's stuff that looks like small, easy changes or additions to the end user, but would require a ton of work if the underlying code isn't set up in a way to handle it, which is why I don't expect to see this game progress past the current tech level.

It wouldn't technically be engine changes -- any sequels would almost certainly run on Unity so they can reuse as many assets as possible -- but would be changes to the way the under-the-hood code works. The game has no concept of things like engine crits, which would make extensive implementation of XL engines problematic, and there's a whole lot of other things that would be needed for regular use of lostech to be done properly.

It's stuff that looks like small, easy changes or additions to the end user, but would require a ton of work if the underlying code isn't set up in a way to handle it, which is why I don't expect to see this game progress past the current tech level.

But the fact Roguetech got it to work in the existing code proves that it's exactly this - small, easy changes for the end user.

i wouldnt call getting roguetech to work anything like small easy changes for the end user.