• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Carolus Rex

Enemy of Reality
26 Badges
Dec 24, 2000
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
Ask for what you wanna see and I'll try to post it. :)
Gonna post four right now. Feel free to ask for stuff about the game and I'll answer. :)

post-26-1074366200.gif

post-26-1074366342.gif

post-26-1074366599.gif

post-26-1074366914.gif

No idea why it doesn't show up...

Last edited:
Maybe it doesn't support direct linking? But anyway, could i see a screen of the Belgium area?

Great pics Corolus, thanks. Hows the AI? Is it improved from CotN? How about a quick and dirty AAR.

Sol Invictus said:
Great pics Corolus, thanks. Hows the AI? Is it improved from CotN? How about a quick and dirty AAR.

I'd rather not, 'cause that means I have to play. And play means I have to play less of Victoria and less guitar. :D

Onto the death of night
With the Four Horsemen ride
Or choose your fate and die!

I choose to play Brittany in the 1337 campaign:)D). It's a small two provincenation, and it's got good possibilities to expand east, into France. I'll be looking to establish an alliance with England, to secure my western shores, and then recruit until my army is so big and so bad, that not even the Frenchies can take it! Mwahahahaaa!

I start off with expanding my cities, so they earn me more silver. 2 ducats a month hardly is worthy of this soon-to-be powerhouse. Mwahahahaha! Also high on the priority list is keeping my clergy, peasants, burghers and nobility happy, or at least happy enough so they won't revolt against their Master. Mwahahahaaa!
So, expansion will be the name of the game - actually, it's the name of any TT game, since trade and colonization doesn't exist, more or less. You can be a good strong economy, but it's not as much fun(IMO) as in EU2, or even moreso, in Victoria. So, this is a little war game, I think this'll be a blast to play MP with your buddies. It's simple and straightforward warfare. It features more units than any other Paradox game(perhaps with the exception of HoI). You have knights, squires(light cavalry), pikesmen, militia, men at arms, crossbowmen, longbowmen and cannons. On the shipside, you have cogs, carvels and galleys. All these recuire a certain technological level to be reach(which is reached by upgrading your churches, castles, markets, harbors, cities, farmlands and musterfield. You recruit all your armored units there, except for knights and squires, which you recruit in your castles. You also have your citywall, which is your fortification. The bigger the wall, the longer siege in can take. Sounds good, doesn't it? :)

Anyways, onto the fun part. War!
Recruiting troops requires silver and grain. I'll have to wait a month until I get any grain.

Early in January 1340, I declare war on Orleans. They're also a provinceminor, and they should fall pretty easily.

In November, 1341, Anjoi falls and we split the kingdom with Burgundy. We also arrange a royal marriage with the English to further strengthen our ties. Exxxxcellent. Mwahahahaaaa!

In November 1442, we recapture Brest from the rebels. To Tame A Land, indeed...

In May, 1347, Brest and Rennes has been expanded to level 10, citywise. Over a thousand people now live there, and each city earns me 4 ducats a month. Mwahahaahaaa!

In august 1348, the Black Death reaches us and kills 200 people in Brest. The children, someone, please think of the children....We're recruiting lots of crossbowmen at the moment, I'm aiming to have a big and well balanced army before I go to war with France. Lots of knights, men at arms and cross/longbowmen.

...and in 1350, I declare war on Provence, my game crashes and I curse myself for not saving the game. :D

I guess that concludes my AAR and that's the end of it. I hope you've gotten a decent view of it all. :)

I'm having trouble with my uploading server, I'll get 'em up later.

Thank you, CR.:) So Scotland is only one-province power?:confused:

Excellent! "Think of the children"? If they can't wield a sword they are nothing but a burden. :) Are there leaders in the armies? Can you essentially build as large an army as you want within the limits of grain and silver, or is there some manpower cap? Do national leaders have any effects on the nation, such as better income or better or worse chance for helpful random events? Hows AI compared to CotN? Any penalty for not honoring an alliance or an actual backstab? Do allies actually help in a war? Can two allied factions take part in a single battle? Is ther a maintainence cost for armies? How bout a cost comparison for each soldier type. Are costs the same for each faction? Can you set tax rates or is it abstracted based on number of cities and population? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sol Invictus said:
Excellent! "Think of the children"? If they can't wield a sword they are nothing but a burden. :) Are there leaders in the armies? Can you essentially build as large an army as you want within the limits of grain and silver, or is there some manpower cap? Do national leaders have any effects on the nation, such as better income or better or worse chance for helpful random events? Hows AI compared to CotN? Any penalty for not honoring an alliance or an actual backstab? Do allies actually help in a war? Can two allied factions take part in a single battle? Is ther a maintainence cost for armies? How bout a cost comparison for each soldier type. Are costs the same for each faction? Can you set tax rates or is it abstracted based on number of cities and population? Thanks in advance.

No leaders in the armies.
Yep, no manpower cap. How fast you build is affected by the size of your market and mustergrounds.
There are no national leaders, the random events do a good job of depticting big events during this time anyways. :)
The AI is a bit better, I'd say. I haven't played COTN for 'kin ages(3 years or so), so I can't really say for sure. I'd say this is a great game for MP between 4-6 buddies. :)
I don't know about alliances, they SHOULD help, but I don't know if we betas got the last version before it went gold. It might be fixed, might not be fixed.
There's no maintenance cost, recruiting costs the same for all factions, but cost/rate is affected by market/mustergrounds size and random events, Troops durability as well if affected by those two factors.
Taxes can't be set, and the size of populations aren't set as in EU2. All nations start out fairly. equal(with the difference on how many provinces you own).

Phillip> Yes, but all one province powers(that IRL was bigger) are insanely strong, with a badbass army, so you don't want to mess with them in the first place. This goes for the Swiss, Aragon, Castille and the Scots. Might have forgotten one.

So countries like Scotland have a richer/resourceful province than a normal one?

Thanks for the info Carolus, can't wait to play. Only about four more days! :)

No, their province is more developed. They've got a bigger fortress, bigger army etc, so they won't be overrun that easily. I'd preferred to see the whole British Isles myself, but this is what we got...

Carolus Rex said:
No idea why it doesn't show up...

Maybe has to do the fact that IMG code in this Froum is off :p

Tell ya what...

Sol Invictus, EnPeaSea, Che Gorilla, etc., if you have any nifty screenshots, feel free to share them for the enjoyment of those of us who still haven't been able to convince their parents to drive them to GameStop. ;)

jan1337.GIF

Just starting out on a quest to dominate Western Europe. I could have started as the king of England or France, but noooo... dumbass me starts as the Duke of Brittany. A meager little fiefdom of two provinces... this will still require a fairly extensive "build-up" time before making life miserable for my neighbors ;D.

sep1338.GIF

The Duke of Provence (lime green) attacked Anjou... he was beaten off after a fierce struggle. I had positioned my army in Nantes and immediately attacked the weaken Anjou. It fell after a brief field battle and a long seige of Angers... the capital of Anjou.

5PRV.GIF

Provence controlled Maine... which attacked and conquered Orleans. Then the yellow dog attacked me :eek: . My army beat back his attack, I split the Ducal Army and counter-attacked into both Maine and Orleans. I was successful and was the master of a 5 province Dukedom. People got out of my way now... when I walked the halls of power.

Carolus Rex said:
No, their province is more developed. They've got a bigger fortress, bigger army etc, so they won't be overrun that easily. I'd preferred to see the whole British Isles myself, but this is what we got...

In 1337 their army is easily overrun and their assimilation into Great Britain an inevitability ... unless the English AI ignores them. For a human player its a no brainer.

daedalus said:
Just a quick question that has probably alredy been answered. Why all screenshots seem to be of very low quality? Is that the way the game is?
It is probably because the screenies have been reduced in quality due to webspace/bandwidth by the uploaders, as Paradox games usually take .bmp screenshots.