• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cezduq

Recruit
15 Badges
Jul 7, 2020
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
Hi all, maybe you can help me as I'm having issues with screen flickering during game, sometimes it is related with fps drops but most of the time it is when fps are solid (screen flicker is similar to old crt monitor when refresh rate was set to small value). This happens only in this game I have never experienced it before. I played quite a lot civilisation so picture was static as well and never experienced this type of behaviour.

Game was tested on two separate computers. My PC:

i7-9700k OC to 5Ghz with z390 pro aorus
rtx 2080 super evga (stock)
32 GB RAM (stock 3200)
1440p display Acer predator 165Hz (when flickering happens monitor refresh rate stays at normal rate)
Game installed on nvme

second PC
i5-9600K (stock) same mobo
32 GM RAM 3200 (stock)
rtx 2080 super KO evga
1440p display LG 144Hz (when flickering happens monitor refresh rate stays at normal rate)
Game installed on nvme

Had no problem with any of the temperature in system, CPU is sitting at max 50C, (coolant termperature with norm) GPU ~70 (40C with installed g12 kraken with AIO). Tried with g-sync off, on, vsynch on off, swapped monitor with 1080 and I have not experienced it so much but still was present. Reinstalled graphic card driver and tried some older versions no improvement at all. Can any one please help as game is pretty unplayable for me as after couple hours I have headache.

I am new player as bought this game few days ago on steam sale and I LOVE it.

Don't know if anyone will read this but there is another strange thing going on, according to lasso process it Stellaris is using 8.4% of my CPU even if I will assign only one core it will go to 12% and fps dropped to 80.

Last edited:
i've seen some discussions on steam with varied fixes for similar problems

some solutions include;
disable FXAA if your GPU offers it
play in full screen rather than windowed (also try borderless windowed)
disable any game overlay
verify game file integrity
make sure you have the latest update for gpu driver
close any background stuff that isn't 100% required for the game to run

as for your other problem that is well outside my wheel box of knowledge

I have tried all of that. And only playable solution is to turn off G-sync which is quite sad as game with all DLC is not cheap (problem only occurred with this game, for example Civ 6 never had a problem and this is quite good comparison as there is also static picture).
There is another funny thing going on. So I tried installing it on my laptop which is only for work purpose. Cpu usage was capped to 20% on 2.8 Ghz (566Mhz per core) which is quite funny as on playing of fastest time was slower than on normal at my desktop.

So as I see we are going back in time to DX4 architecture?

For a game which cost at this very moment with all DLC's on Steam ~£120 it is quite unique solution.

Also I have start whining so there are couple more things I have to say to Paradox (I know that no one is going to read this but I will feel much better :) ). 1080p is relic of a past. I have 2K display and scaling for this resolution is terrible (honestly it is a joke), more and more people will buy 2k and 4k monitors in next few years so please do something about it. Don't understand where problem is.

there are mods for dynamic ui. i believe one of them is in the top five most downloaded mods. it's irritating that it has to be modded in, but it's better than nothing.