Scourge always lands on your home systems?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sawtooth500

Sergeant
17 Badges
Nov 29, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Here's my game:

Playing as Determined Exterminators
Grand Admiral difficulty
2250 mid game crisis 2300 end game crisis
1000 star galaxy
4x crisis strength

So 3/4 of these games I get killed off within the first 50 years.... but twice I have survived until end game. Not doing great - pinned in my corner with about 10% of the galaxy as mine, but alive and stable. Both times that I got to the endgame, a war in heaven between FE happened and then like around 2350 the Scourge game. BOTH TIMES the scourge lands right in my home systems very close to my start location. WTF? I thought that the Scourge is supposed to pick a system on the rim that is not empty, preferably, and if there are no empty systems then the scourge picks a system on the rim at random to land. Yet twice, it lands right in my home systems.

With 4x crisis I cannot fight them at 2350... and only having about 10% of the galaxy I have nowhere else to mass migrate my pops to to run away from the scourge.... so yeah I'm fucked.

My question - will they keep landing in my empire? This has happened twice in a row already when I managed to get to the endgame.... frustrating!

No, in my experience they spawn in a random location on the rim. I guess you just got unlucky.

I do wonder however, and don't take this personally please, why do you play on GA difficulty and 4x crisis strength 100 earlier than default - and then complain that it is frustrating? Isn't that what you wanted when you chose those settings?

• 5Like
Reactions:
Here's my game:

Playing as Determined Exterminators
Grand Admiral difficulty
2250 mid game crisis 2300 end game crisis
1000 star galaxy
4x crisis strength

So 3/4 of these games I get killed off within the first 50 years.... but twice I have survived until end game. Not doing great - pinned in my corner with about 10% of the galaxy as mine, but alive and stable. Both times that I got to the endgame, a war in heaven between FE happened and then like around 2350 the Scourge game. BOTH TIMES the scourge lands right in my home systems very close to my start location. WTF? I thought that the Scourge is supposed to pick a system on the rim that is not empty, preferably, and if there are no empty systems then the scourge picks a system on the rim at random to land. Yet twice, it lands right in my home systems.

With 4x crisis I cannot fight them at 2350... and only having about 10% of the galaxy I have nowhere else to mass migrate my pops to to run away from the scourge.... so yeah I'm fucked.

My question - will they keep landing in my empire? This has happened twice in a row already when I managed to get to the endgame.... frustrating!
you are playing on some incredibly hard settings, it is meant to be challenging, my advice to you is to switch to standard or perhaps lowered crisis strength until you are more prepared for the challenge. not to be rude but with the state of the ai as it is the only way to lose is to be inexperienced, there are always ways to take advantage of the ais artificial stupidity.

No, in my experience they spawn in a random location on the rim. I guess you just got unlucky.

I do wonder however, and don't take this personally please, why do you play on GA difficulty and 4x crisis strength 100 earlier than default - and then complain that it is frustrating? Isn't that what you wanted when you chose those settings?
I like difficult, but I like difficult where you have a chance. There is a certain point where you can make it difficult and there is no chance. For example, playing on GA as exterminators, my previous game before this one at start I had 3 fanatic militarist neighbors - so I got triple warred and I got killed. Oh well, part of the game. This last playthrough where I got to endgame I only had two neighbors at the start, one was a fanatic pacifist so I got lucky I knew he wouldn't attack me and then on GA difficulty I could deal with one other neighbor so I managed to survive to endgame.

Playing with 4x crisis, I do feel like I could fight them, IF they land somewhere that's not my starting systems. I need time to prep, and I need for them to spread out so that I can start picking them apart. I got frustrated because this is the second time where I got to endgame on GA difficulty and second time that the scourge lands right in my home systems. I mean I could make the crisis 2400 1x, but at that point even if they land in my home systems it'll be super easy to crush them and not fun. I was in the middle of a war that I was finally starting to win with a devouring swarm empire next to me also not participating in the war in heaven, and then boom the scourge hits in my home systems. Even if it was contingency then that would be better because they would spread out across 4 starting points so then perhaps I could fight them in my quadrant - But the scourge, with ALL of them hitting me, I'm screwed lol

I've had it land literally on the opposite side of the galaxy from me. I've also had it land 2 jumps from my capital in which case my game was very quickly over.
seems to very much be rng.

Reactions:
I've had it land literally on the opposite side of the galaxy from me. I've also had it land 2 jumps from my capital in which case my game was very quickly over.
seems to very much be rng.
IIRC the Scourge is always going to land on the galactic rim, but other than that it's random.

Reactions:
According to Ye Olde Wiki, if there are any unowned systems on the rim, the Scourge will arrive in and around one of them. On the other hand, if literally every rim system is claimed, they'll arrive in and around a random non-Fallen-Empire system. I'm not sure if this is still accurate, though.

Reactions:
According to Ye Olde Wiki, if there are any unowned systems on the rim, the Scourge will arrive in and around one of them. On the other hand, if literally every rim system is claimed, they'll arrive in and around a random non-Fallen-Empire system. I'm not sure if this is still accurate, though.
Yeah this is definitely old, there were a bunch of unowned systems on the rim from some AI empire getting eliminated in my game, nope the scourge didn't touch those went right into my starting systems.

Reactions:
From experience and what I read it's completely random except that it's always a rim system. Watched them appear pretty much everywhere in relation to my empire.

I don't think unowned systems are targeted anymore.

Reactions:
Sounds like whoever wrote that part misread the event logic.

As far as I can tell, the condition for the Scurge to land in unowned space is not just an unowned rim system, it's an unowned rim system with connections only to other, unowned systems.

If such a system doesn't exist, it will just pick a random, owned rim system with no fallen empire as the owner / direct neighbor.

So individual systems without an owner are entirely ignored by the event.

Last edited:
Reactions: