• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kazmir

Keeping the ship on course
56 Badges
Aug 10, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Imperator: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
8QetmP7.jpg

In anticipation of the upcoming referendum on Scottish independence I decided to start an AAR with the intention to see how well Scotland might have fared during the Victorian period had they been allowed to go at it on their own. It is played on unmodded V2: HoD, normal settings. Naturally no cheats or gamey edits will be used.

Prologue
It was early September 1834, when someone in the Scottish Highlands had the brilliant idea of asking: ‘Do we really need those pesky Englishmen down in London telling us what to do? What if we were to have a country of our own again?’ This idea soon caught wind and after spreading like wildfire around the country, the popular call for Scottish independence rose to such heights as to warrant a referendum on the subject, which was dutifully arranged the following year and consented by Westminster despite biting their teeth at the subject, for they believed that majority of the Scots would surely defeat such a base and silly motion at the polls. Their moods soon changed, however, when it became clear that a Scottish independence was imminent after the results went public. 51% of those eligible to vote in the election had voiced their clear opinion on the matter – Scotland was to be a country of its own, as a separate entity from the rest of Britain.

Despite their disgruntlement over the results, London decided to abide by their word and let the Scots go, for they feared that swarming the country with troops at this point might seem two-faced having given their prior consent to the referendum. They instead decided to bide their time and wait for a better opportunity to retake the land that was rightfully theirs by force.
The independence inspired several Irish leaders, who likewise began pondering the possibility of an independent Ireland. These men gathered for a meeting over the matter in Cork on the 20th of November, 1835 and began working on a timeline for a referendum on independence, or at the least for an autonomy. Said men abruptly disappeared from their homes in the middle of the night the next day, and their bodies were found floating in the River Lee some days later. Official investigation over the matter concluded that their cause of death was ‘drowning as a result of a voracious night of drunken revelry typical to the Irish commoners,’ and the matter – and along it the subject of independence – was laid to rest and not spoken of again.

On the morning of 1st of January 1836, the Union Jack was finally lowered all over Scotland and replaced by the Saltire, which now flies proudly over the land. The Scots decided that it would be easiest to keep their former institutions largely as they were for now, and decided to stick with constitutional monarchy as their form of government. After searching for a suitable candidate to take over the throne, son of the French king Louis-Philippe I, Prince Louis d’Orléans, was shipped over to Edinburgh and crowned the King of Scotland on the 15th of February 1836, as the Scottish hoped to revive the Auld Alliance – though in vain, for the French believed it was too early to get more deeply involved with the newly formed country. Thus was the great kingdom of Scotland unleashed upon the world once more, and the planet was to feel the tremor of their might.

Table of Contents

Last edited:
Chapter I

OUJvAHs.jpg

Scotland. Fair and free Scotland. Situated at its usual location just above the Not-So-United-Kingdom, the isolated position offers them quite a bit of freedom!!! to do as they please in the world - at least for so long as the Englishmen are happy to leave them be.

gkNEx1D.jpg

For some strange reason, when the doors of the Parliament were opened for a first session of independent Scotland, the assembly hall and all the seats inside were found preoccupied by various personage who called themselves representatives of 'the Liberal Party,' claiming to have a mandate of the people behind them to rule the country, presenting a handwritten note signed by several member of an ambiguous 'People's Council' as a proof of this. The party they claimed to be part of could not even be found from the official registry of political parties, and the matter was quickly solved when His Majesty Malcolm V gave the Nationalist Party free rein over the country for an undisclosed period and the imposters were thrown out of the building. 'Out with the new, in with the old!'

yl3bCjz.jpg

The industrialisation of Scotland was not that impressive in the beginning of their journey to say the least, and the government quickly agreed to subsidize the construction of a cement factory in Aberdeen, which was soon after followed by the establishment of a vital liquor distillery in the Glasgow region.

hU0Ww6Z.jpg

'It is our right - naw - our duty, to be that shining source of rays for future enlightenment that is to shine upon the Earth. It is our destiny to spread civilization to those who dearly lack it and to claim our justified place under the sun,' roared one vociferous member of parliament, as he put forth the proposal of establishing a Scottish colonial empire over the yet-unclaimed corners of the African continent during the first session of parliament, and to bring these vast, untamed lands under the protective embrace of Christian civilization under her banner. The proposal was greeted with an unanimous sea of 'Ayes' from the chamber. The establishment of a Royal Scottish Navy was put under way, and the construction of a fleet capable of shipping an entire Scottish division to far-flung regions was commissioned immediately.

qGGNY7F.jpg

Towards the end of July 1836, news reached Scotland that the Netherlands had gone to war over their lost region of Belgium, drawing London into the conflict who soon demanded the Dutch colony of Guyana as a repatriation. After mere three months of fighting, the Dutch soon realised their hopeless situation under the sheer scale of British military power, and were forced relinquish their claims to Belgium and their colonial possessions in South America.

4nmEjAq.jpg

It was clear that the British had a need to compensate their loss of Scotland with something.

GNQDHe8.jpg

In their search for a suitable tar-- destination for a civilising mission to Africa, one member of the Scottish cabinet came across a strange lump of land on a map just off the main continent: 'What's that island over there?'

'Why, that is Madagascar my dear friend. Do you think they would mind if we go and enlighten their backwards people?'

'Haven't the French been meddling with that lot? I'm not sure we should infuriate Paris...'

'Why I do not think so, I believe the French are quite indifferent towards them.'​

It was at once agreed that Scotland should hereafter be known as the one nation that brought civilization to the natives of Madagascar. A diplomatic commission was despatched at once in an effort to gain permission to establish trade posts on the island and to begin large-scale missionary activities amongst its inhabitants. Unfortunately, as soon as the commission landed on Madagascar and were about to greet the representatives of queen Ranavalona I, one sickly commissioner in charge of negotiating monopoly for Scottish traders happened to sneeze due to his hay fever, sending the terrified Malagasies on a panic-stricken run back to their capital. The commission was forced back onto their ship by armed men and told to head back to Scotland, never to return.

y2370nG.jpg

'They what? They've closed their ports on us indefinitely? That they cannot do! They have no right to, uhh-- Look, today they close their ports; tomorrow they'll be on our shores, and soon we will all be ruled by a distant foreign power all over again! We must begin military operations against them at once!'

Public opinion backed this notion, and volunteers to take part in a Madagascarian expedition flooded recruitment centres across the country. A forceful army of 21 000 angry Scotsmen was formed and mustered within a month of the Malagasy aggression and dispatched towards the Southern Hemisphere with an intention to introduce rule of law, Christianity and measles on that foreign island. It was to be the first war for independent Scotland.

GRQslHR.jpg

-------------------------------------------------
Note: although I began writing this AAR several days ago in this narrative style, I have decided to treat it from hereafter primarily as a gameplay AAR since I feel that comes more natural to me. However, I decided to go ahead and post the first chapter as it is for I had it all written down already.

Subbed. How much infamy did you get?

@trekfan: Thanks, and welcome aboard!

@Jacobi-99: I received 17.7 infamy, which is quite a lot. I actually had a picture of it lined up but I thought that with such a little text the chapter would have gotten too picture-heavy and left it out.

lV04vVB.jpg

Ok, well at least you've got a lot to burn off during peace

What the bloody hell. Two conservative and no Liberal parties at game start? I suspect that making the Whigs conservative might be a wee error on Paradox's part.

Madagascar; clearly of great strategic and emotional significance to the newly independent people of Scotland. :p

Brilliant - looks very interesting. Subbed.

Madagascar; clearly of great strategic and emotional significance to the newly independent people of Scotland. :p

What better way to celebrate your newly won independence than by revoking someone else's? :p

It's good for colonising and taking over uncivs in Asia and Arabia.

Yeah, an early Madagascar rush is a good way to beef up your colonial abilities (and provide nice industrial materials like coal and tropical wood) if you're into that sort of thing. If you want to wait, though, you have to be ready to beat up on the French for it.

Anyways, since you have the English in your backyard, you may want to rebuild Hadrian's Wall, even if you become Britain's best friend in your independent years.

@Tanzhang (譚張): Scotland actually starts with a 'Liberal Party' in charge (though this might be due to the TAG change from the UK) which stays in power until the next elections unless switched manually. However, they do not appear on the party list at all.

@NapoleonComple: Naturally, how else to get back at those Englishmen than to beat them at their own game of establishing a globe-spanning empire? :p

@1anrs: Thank you, and hope you will enjoy reading it.

@InvisibleSandwi: Exactly, the coal is quite useful for any small nation that attempts to industrialise properly and doesn't have sources of its own (for example a lot of South American countries), and the tropical wood gives any nation a nice boost to income. Madagascar is also very populous which means it can act as a mini-India for a smaller nation when it comes to bringing up your manpower reserves. The downsides are that they have quite a large standing army of 20000-30000 troops at the least, which can offer some resistance despite being a primitive nation, and one needs to get at them quickly as France has a decision which allows them to add it to their SoF as long as they have researched something (can't remember what it was). It also offers nice potential for any maritime power. If you are a European nation and have naval bases in Madagascar, it basically means you can operate your navies anywhere in Europe, Africa and around the Indian Ocean unhindered by attrition.

Chapter II

JcvqJGd.jpg

Liberals? In my Scotland? *grumble grumble*

With their silly notions of social progress they bring along free trade and anti-militaristic policies, which a newly independent nation such as Scotland that is bent on spreading her wings across the globe does not need in the least.

j5gAocR.jpg

The youth of Scotland are intoxicated with an idea of reviving old values of the classical times and turning Scotland into a sodding Greece. No thank you, now where did I put those troops again...? I thought freedom from Britain was enough for these people, surely they don't need freedom from their betters as well?

mANThT4.jpg

Too bad the entire Scottish army is in South Africa at the moment, ready to launch their invasion of Madagascar. Out of four generals I have in service, only one proved out not to be a complete imbecile.

hJifFR1.jpg

Hmm; what to do, what to do? Ride on his fame or condemn his liberal ideas as bollocks? Ah, doesn't matter. Let's take the prestige.

TtjWvaB.jpg

The Scottish army made their landing in Madagascar on 1st of November 1837, and soon after the whole province of Tolanaro was under their control. The Malagasy army is in hiding somewhere in the mountains.

M6uShGf.jpg

People back home, however, do not seem to be all too happy. Wave of liberal opinion - or perhaps rather emotion - is sweeping across the country and turning good men into vile beast who want to eat babies and overthrow kings.

s5K14Ce.jpg

After occupying the province of Fianarantsoa, my troops headed elsewhere to occupy yet another piece of territory when the Malagasy army finally made their appearance and crept out into the light. A recourse was ordered and the problem swiftly dealt with.

8gqkxop.jpg

I set my men to chase the remnants of their army to the capital where it was finally annihilated for good. All that remains is to occupy this little island before we can establish our dominion over it. Fear not, people of Madagascar, civilization is on its way!

75YVgVm.jpg

Speaking of civilization, my research on Muzzle-loaded rifles was completed in June 1838, and the brightest minds of Scotland now set their focus on creating some good old Romantic poetry.

F3cOe30.jpg

The common folk on the other hand, are still bitter about how their kingdom is being governed. Perhaps I should grant them this little favour. In September, secret ballots were finally approved by the parliament.

HvH8vlx.jpg

Also, the first proper railroad linking Edinburgh to Dumfries was finished that same month, and the establishment of a series of forts all across the country began immediately, just as a precaution if some hostile foreign power might get it in their heads that Scotland could be invaded by sheer force alone and her freedom revoked.

umdFT9W.jpg

To prepare for their future as a colonial power, more ships were commissioned in order to create a proper high-seas fleet for Scotland.

qxDWN63.jpg

Several more incidents of liberal uprisings and morally questionable behaviour followed before the radicals realised they were fighting a hopeless battle and caved in with their demands.

OUdvejg.jpg

I nonetheless decided to reward them with some more reforms. This is Scotland after all, which must hold proud its image as a shining beacon of freedom and fair treatment for the rest of the world.

c1IddAQ.jpg

Especially in Madagascar, where civilization was finally brought to the natives on the 1st of October, 1839. On that same day, Tunis was annexed by France. I have also began improving my relations with said country, as well as with the rising stars of Prussia and the United States in hopes of making some friends in this tumultuous world.​

Great work, maybe Brunei next? They have wood as well as coffee which is good and can boost your economy if you can boost its production more, they also have oil in the late game.

Great work, maybe Brunei next? They have wood as well as coffee which is good and can boost your economy if you can boost its production more, they also have oil in the late game.

Or Johore?