• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I get the feeling Scotland can't avoid the war drums for much longer.

@Enewald: North Italian.

@NapoleonComple: You are right on that account, but for a little while longer...

Chapter XVI

YQeXtDf.jpg

In February 1872, Scottish Armies were finally equipped with the latest invention in preparation for the duty of civilization of darker Africa.

wYgexnP.jpg

Although my initial impression had been that the war mentioned in last chapter had come to an end with the transfer of Istria to Trieste, I soon realised that this had been a separate peace between France and Venice, not France and UK - the two leading partners of the conflict. Bitter over the sly French tactics, the British soon added their own demands to the war - the acquisition of French Guyana.

gp7s17I.jpg

Meanwhile, another great war was under way in South America when Argentina and Greater Venezuela decided to take on the coalition of smaller states consisting of Colombia, Ecuador, Uruguay and the leading partner Bolivia.

uGs9S5H.jpg

And so it begins.

5DbN0kI.jpg

I wasn't to first one to launch an African mission though; those pesky Danes managed to beat me by a few days with the establishment of a trading post in Ghana.

Hv5kOxY.jpg

I immediately set out to expand inland from my East African holdings. Back home, a small uprising of Scottish communists took place but order was swiftly restored.

kkIT3lR.jpg

Then in July, another piece of unfortunate news hit me; Egypt was at it again, trying their luck in wriggling free from Scottish influence. Troops were once again sent to Cairo and the frustrating process of occupying Egyptian sandlands began. This is beginning to feel like a routine now.

lGb05W2.jpg

Meanwhile, Germany launched their own colonial expedition in North Western Africa, and Denmark opened another trading post at the mouth of the Congo river, and the local population were thrilled and praised God for his mercy.

6wvvzye.jpg

In August, Spain too entered the colonial game, and annoyingly close to my Scottish holdings. I anticipate that our territorial interests might clash in the near future. I also finished research into Expressionism and chose Analytic Philosophy next for some extra research points.

4bITFBV.jpg

in December, the conflict between France and the UK finally came to a close and London agreed to be humiliated by Paris. According to the treaty, all Englishmen were forced to sing the first to verses of La Marseillaise.

63sKyJu.jpg

Soon after, Scotland's cultural achievements were lauded once again with the birth of expressionist art.

SDc1jO8.jpg

In March 1873, Scotland took the first steps into African interior by the establishment of a series of new protectorates. Egypt, too, finally succumbed that month. The war was over faster than usual as the Egyptians had gotten used to the drill already and knew there was little they could hope to gain by continuing their struggle.

YEWEb3n.jpg

With the war between France and UK settled, the two behemoths took their seats by the colonial game and established their first trading posts along the West African coast.

AnbXELa.jpg

Spain would spread further as well in May, bringing our borders closer ad closer to one another.

R0bfhUJ.jpg

And as I had suspected, we were soon fighting over the same pieces of land with each other. The Turks too joined the game by contesting my claim to Somalia.

Hn4s2MJ.jpg

In Novemeber, I finished research into Analytical Philosophy and chose Deep Defense Systems as my next focus

p8Efvwn.jpg

In April 1874, Bolivia made a separate peace with Venezuela, doubling her territory and renaming herself as Greater Bolivia. They still cannot into sea though.

7eUtZ0N.jpg

Back in West Africa, Germany was quickly becoming the Lord of the Sandcastles with her rapid expansion into the deserts of the region, while the Danes, Englishmen and Frenchmen were concentrating on the far richer and more populous coastal areas.

CFq4P7k.jpg

Then in May 1874, after long efforts by Scottish diplomats to improve relations between the two countries, France finally came forward with an offer of alliance. And thus was the Auld Alliance restored at last.​

Last edited:
The struggle is merciless, especially for the poor Europeans just wanting their slice of Africa. :p
Also what a cruel humiliation. :D

The struggle is going to get more merciless still. Let's see if England can get her payback on France.

Chapter XVII

Ycfh8vl.jpg

In June 1874, Spain declared war on their neighbouring Sokoto in attempt to carve a connection between the two parts of their divided colony.

NUOp470.jpg

Towards the end of that year, an international crisis broke out over the fate of Romania, when Germany - clearly as a revenge for their lost territories - decided to back the independence movement in Austria.

tI2OGZX.jpg

I also finished researched into Deep Defense Systems and took to improving my technologically backward navies by focusing on naval tree the next.

E8cuaDL.jpg

By January 1875, the crisis had drawn in most of the involved Great Powers. I decided to honour my recently won alliance with France and followed them to the Austrian side as soon as they had made their (obvious) decision. The balance of powers was easily in favour of Austria, and disgruntled Germany gave in and agreed to let the matter go.

BqyQZwm.jpg

However, angered by the meddling French ruining their plans once again, the angry Germans declared war just months afterwards in March over the fate of - you guessed it - Alsace-Lorraine. I naturally rushed to the side of my French allies in an instant.

fMUKRHG.jpg

The two blocks of allies at the beginning of the war: Germany took to the war with only Denmark and the Ottoman Empire by their side, while the French could count on such friends as Scotland, Russia, Switzerland, Two Sicilies, The Vatican and Belgium (in order of importance). I was curious whether the Germans had managed to recuperate from their recent defeat yet and were ready to take head on with such a conglomerate of enemies.

WUZ5jEP.jpg

Africa in March 1875, before the war in Europe had properly warmed up. At the moment, Scotland is in a rather dominant position in Central Africa, while Spain rules the North East, Germany the North West, and Denmark is striving to capture all of the West African interior before the British, while simultaneously having their foot firmly set down in the Congo. I also began researching Blue and Brown Water Schools to further enhance my navies and to be able to construct larger naval bases. Anyhow, let's get back to the ongoing war.

wcWCKMk.jpg

While I was was busy shipping my main army from Scotland towards Belgium, I sent my African troops on a march towards Turkish Somalia (which I had given them after a short dispute since I needed the colonial points elsewhere).

CH0Oe15.jpg

In Egypt, I gave orders for my troops stationed there to cross the border into Palestine and begin besieging Gaza. The Turks outnumbered me heavily in North Africa, but they seemed far more interested in attempting to occupy my Egyptian holdings than to destroy my armies there, giving me some time to ship in reinforcements.

leENAOL.jpg

France and her allied were already busy with the Germans as my troops finally made it to Belgium in April. I immediately began to look out for large bodies of German troops that might threaten the besieging Belgian and French armies.

5yq3v5d.jpg

Elsewhere, I spotted a juicy target to test my recently modernised navies on.

OCLJdkv.jpg

After helping my French and Belgian allies to push back several smaller German attacks, a joint Franco-Scottish contingent took on with the largest of German armies in the western front in May.

B6gaBUr.jpg

Despite clearly outnumbering the Germans, my side suffered unacceptably heavy losses in the battle.

9InD34z.jpg

Meanwhile, my navies had engaged with the Ottoman fleet in the Aegean Sea. Despite outnumbering my ships, their fleet consist solely of wooden ships, while I only have modern steamers engaged in the battle.

nBrnxIQ.jpg

I also decided to add my own demands to the aggressors.

AX42YKB.jpg

A new turn of events took place when Austria suddenly decided to declare war on our Russian allies at the end of May.​

And World War II manages to break out before 1880. Gotta hand it to the great powers of this timeline.

Though this isn't so much a world war as a second general European war.

@Enewald: You mean, under Scottish dominance?

@NapoleonComple: Heh exactly, slightly more reminiscent of World War I though. However, there's yet to come a proper world war involving all the major European powers, but more on that when the time is right.

Why Palestine over Somalia?
And how is Switzerland more important than belguim?