• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Originally posted by Graham Dodge on 06-18-2000 12:12 AM

I'm waiting for the Republic of Western Australia to be declared in a Campaign Game and then I'm going to go hunting for Sapura :)

/Graham

Er... what about the Kingdom of Western Australia? Especially bearing in mind that in EU most countries were monarchies of some sort (with the honourable exceptions of Switzerland, the Hansa, the Netherlands -although they finally became a monarchy too- and Venice). By the way, are there any more republics in the game? Unless, of course, one considers Cromwell (Boo!) as a republican...

Remember that I am a Monarchist! :)

AP, regarding the aforementioned message, you have all my support... although I still believe it was a bloody pity that Mr. Washington and Co. decided to split off from the Good Ol' Mother Country in 1776! :)

Best regards, as always.

Martin

'By the way, are there any more republics in the game?'

Yes, the Archenemy of Venice's - Genoa... :)
and the Merchantrepublic of Pskov.

Don't forget the Religious Orders; The Teutonic Order, and The Knights of St:John (Rhodes, and later Malta).

/Greven

[This message has been edited by Greven (edited 18-06-2000).]

Originally posted by Dark Knight on 06-19-2000 01:13 AM
IMHO, a monarch's far preferable to a president, as you should appreciate. ;)

I agree, but unfortunately my opinion is based on purely sentimental reasons. A monarchy can be a terrific regime, if the monarch is good and sensible (and there are many examples). On the other hand, if the monarch is a tyrant, well, then one would say that monarchy is a very bad political system. However, the same applies to republics, especially to presidential republics such as the US and France.

This is what one calls a Byzantine debate, because Monarchists will never convince Republicand and vice versa. One either feels for a King (or Queen) or for a President, and in my case I am for King. Needless to say, I find Republicanism a perfectly honourable opinion! :)

And yes, of course I would like to be a King (who wouldn't!) but even if I wanted to be a President, the likeliness of this happening is so remote that I don't see much difference anyway.

Best regards to all.

Martin