• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Goodness- Scandanavia is eating your Generals and Kings alive! Good idea for Mary to get out of that war. And I do believe this is the first time I've seen a woman rise to the throne. Very interesting.

And congratulations are in order, sir. You've been named the writAAR of the week and it is very well deserved! Head on over to the thread in the main AAR area and say a few words. :)

Thanks for all the comments and the WritAAR nod, coz. :)

stnylan- When I first read your comment about the Dominion of Knut, I honestly had no clue what you were referencing to for I don't have much knowledge of Scandinavian history. So I did a little research, thanks for the history lesson. You're quite right, it could be possible but we will see.

Chief Ragusa- Well Scandinavia is a nice target, but it's also a bit difficult. I was very lucky that when I was fighting Sweden, Denmark and Norway was at war with it. If it was just Norway and me, I would have been crushed I think. Allying with England is a possible way of uniting Ireland, but you must remember Meath is still under their command. As for this AAR, England and I will always be at odds until of course they no longer exist. :D

crossfire07- You're quite right, especially dealing with France. France has been my only ally so far (well until the next update :p ) and they bring me into way extensively. The problem is that because I'm doing an AAR, Brittany and Lorraine are not lands I particulary want unfortunately so I immediately try to get a white peace so my war exhaustion does not rise. They been a nuisance sometimes but they definitely help when I need it, well usually.

Graymane- Thank you, I really do appreciate the comment. It's comments like this that make me want to do faster updates.

coz1- Scandinavia is definitely doing damage to my lineage. I've actually had a couple more general die in Scandinavia but they weren't in the story. I have made pretty much a rule to not use my King as a general and haven't yet. The only time I will is if it has a high military rating but low ratings on the other areas. I was surprised to see Mary come into power, I found it interesting too. You definitely don't want England messing with her when it's that time of the month, I can only imagine... :p

A couple notes about the next update:

I hate England and their great military Kings which they ALWAYS put as generals and kill my armies 400-500 men at a time compared to their 10-20. It is quite frustrating. I might win the battle but lose 3/4 my troops when they might only lose 1/5. It's not a bug though due to three reasons. 1) The die rolls hate me, 2) English Kings obviously had Spartans as ancestors and are bred for war and 3) Their land tech is 5 compared to my 1, ouch.

Speaking of England, I swear they're cheating somehow. Not only do they have land tech 5 (and soon 6) and navy 2, but already reached government 5 and been producing workshops like mad in their territories. I have no clue how they're getting their money. Their two national ideas are bill of rights and seamanship so they're not in the new world and no other territories. Then to top it all off, I've realized they don't really field an army, they hire mercenaries during times of war. How do they get all that money!? It baffles me.

So because England is a dirty cheater, their smell is atrocious and because I'm jealous of their ridicuously amazing Kings that live forever; I'm going to throw all my anger and contempt into beating them with sticks since I'm still only on land tech 1, pitiful I know...

Next update will be tomorrow.

Eber!

Great work producing -- already! -- an interesting scenario. I don't recall having seen very many Scottish AARs, and it seems an interesting country to play.

And I love your Scottish accents! Such cultural dialogue is difficult to represent, but I can hear the words clear as day in my mind, thanks to your able rendering! Nice work.

Looking forward to seeing how you capture Jutland to make a better path to your Swedish lands.

Rensslaer

Mmm, well England does have a number of semi-rich provinces, and easily has the critical mass to get wealthy quickly. Oh, and it does start with two universities which gives it a boost. Scotland, by comparison, is far poorer.

Good to see you managed to defeat the backstabbing Scandinavians, although it did you cost you a general and you also lost a king during the war. But it seems the queen is wise and she managed to get peace, so now you are once more free to focus on bigger threats than the Scandinavians…

Emblem.jpg

Chapter 3​

Edinburgh, Scotland – March 1470

Being a woman during the fifteenth century was a daily struggle especially if the woman was as powerful as rival Kings in other countries. This struggle brought danger and other unknown perils to the Queen of Scotland. Even so, Mary II roamed through the streets of Edinburgh as though she was a common citizen in the city. Though she walked with a commoner’s frame of mind, it was clearly evident that she was no commoner. Along beside her were three grueling, well built men that accompanied her wherever she decided to go. The men, dressed in royal garments carrying short swords and daggers were intimidating and no citizen dared to look them straight in the eyes. They walked very closely to their Queen, almost suffocating her by their presence. Mary II, noticing their crowding presence was giving her the image of a mob ruler stopped in the middle of the street and turned around to her guards.

As she turned around, the guards became aware of her unsatisfied look. “Do ye have any earthy idea whit ye are doin’?”

The guards looked at each other, hoping one would step up and answer the Queen. “Ah, we,” the bravest of the guards started to mutter an answer, “We are here tae protect ye, milady.”

“Aye, protect not make me look like I’m afraid of ma own people!”

“Much apologies, milady,” replied the guard as he bowed.

The Queen gave a half smile. She wasn’t angry with the guards, but the one thing she did not want to see happen was her becoming an outcast to her own people. Scotland was still rising from the clan system even after a hundred years. Every Scot still had memories of their leaders being around everyone, working just as hard as the rest. She did not want her people to think royalty only sat around feeding off the hard work of their subjects. Though she loved her father, James III, she knew that he barely left the palace unless it was to inspect the army. Her grandfather did not fare much better. Scotland would only become as strong as its leader, and in this she understood her role. It would take a woman to make Scotland an effective, independent nation.

Edinburgh, Scotland – March 1470

William Douglas, loyal friend of Mary II paced the room as the Queen sat idly, occasionally glancing at Douglas.

“Ah dinnae know whit the Anglish are doin’ with their armies so close. Ah can smell them, ah promise ye!”

“Dinnae get het up about it,” she responded coolly. Her eyes glazed with innocence as she eyed the short-tempered but passionate man.

“The Anglish are trauchle, no reason to be at our borders.”

“Ma dear,” she immediately stopped when the two words erupted from her mouth.

Douglas ceased from pacing and looked at Mary. His eyes turned from anger to affection. He finally sat down, inhaling deep breaths to calm him.

The Queen’s eyes began to wander as she tried to emerge herself from the awkward situation at hand. “Ah just think…”

“Ah thought that we were goin’ tae keep our relationship secret,” Douglas interrupted.

“We are, whit makes ye think we not?” She asked though she knew it was a futile attempt to act strong.

“Ye sayin’ ‘ma dear’ might be a cause for alarm, dinnae ye think?”

“Aye, but…”

Douglas interrupted her again. “Ye are the queen now, ah cannae be anything more but a frein.”

“Whit difference does it make? We can be meritt. Dinnae ye love me?” Tears began to appear, dropping from her eyes meticulously.

Douglas reached over and placed his hand on her cheek, occasionally wiping a tear away. “Aye, Ah do love ye but that is why ah cannae be meritt tae ye. Ye are the Queen of Scotland and that is whaur it ends. Ah will always be wi’ ye, ah promise ye, but Scotland needs ye now, all of ye.”

“Whit about our laddie?” she carefully asked.

“Ye wull see him. Arthur still has me and he knows the danger of sayin’ he is yer son.”

Mary looked into his eyes and knew he was being strong for the both of them. Her last tear dropped that night for she understood that if anyone ever knew about Arthur, it could jeopardize his life. Arthur would be well taken care of by Douglas. Her son would grow to be as strong and wise as his father. Unfortunately, she would only see glimpses of his transformation of a boy to a man. Becoming Queen of Scotland she later thought did have its sacrifices.

It had been three months since the grand arrival of the Scots Guard in Edinburgh, a symbol that peace was finally welcomed back in the lands of Scotland. However, the red menace to the south, England was still on the mind of many especially Mary II. Twelve thousand English troops continued to make patrols around Cumbria and Northumberland. Mary II did not truly understand the urgency of a vast army of English troops so close to the border. Three thousand men of the Scots Guard were stationed near the border to defend the area if any incursion was made by the English.

Sudden news from England immediately sent shockwaves throughout Scotland. James IV, King of England died in late April of what has been said was “medical complications.” With the death of James, his son Edward IV ascended the throne. Edward like his father was a warrior King who felt the subjugation of the Scots was what England needed to show the world it was a true power. This worried the Queen. Even with Edward’s brute exterior, she was still concerned on why his father became so fascinated with the border. Her answer would soon come from an unlikely source, a retired royal servant.

Edinburgh, Scotland – May 1470

Mary II was busy looking through reports on border activity of English troops as well as some financial documents dealing with production in the surrounding provinces when a servant opened the door and announced she had a visitor. She placed the reports down on her desk and awaited the visitor to arrive. In walked a frail, slightly hunched old man yet puzzling like many of nature’s mysteries, he had a full head of white hair. At first, the Queen did not recognize the old man but she abruptly did when he looked straight at her and his eyebrows arched up as though his interest was piqued.

“Simon!” She rose and without thinking ran and hugged him. Hugging a visitor was rather unfitting for a Queen, but when the visitor was her caretaker when she was young then it was acceptable. “Ah am glad tae see ye. It’s been so long.”

Simon patted the Queen as though she was a child once more. “Ah hope ah am not botherin’ ye.”

“No, ah just lookin’ at some reports,” she replied and motioned him to take a seat.

He took a seat and gave a good look at the Queen. She was much older and taller then he remembered, but some similarities stayed the same. Her long, red hair still flowed even with no wind at her back and her blue eyes twinkled as much as they did ten years earlier. Her innocence was still there but it was unfortunately much more clouded than ever before.

“Ah winnae be long, but ma lassie has told me some frightful things.” Referencing his daughter, Mary knew right away that her chamber maid, Simon’s daughter had been speaking of their talks. “Now, I dinnae want ye tae be upset at her, she loves ye and thought ah could help.”

“How?” she curiously asked.

“Yer faither and ah were good freins. He allowed me tae be in the room when meetins’ took place. Ah just served his guest and remained quiet. Ah heard much.”

“Ah ne’er knew that.”

“Aye, many dinnae. Yer faither was a good man, better then his own faither. Yet, there was wan thing that stayed the same. He was a gowk when it cam to the Anglish.”

Mary was no longer sitting. She was nervously walking back and forth and rightfully so. What came next was not anticipated by any regard.

“Yer faither, God bless him angered the late King of Angland.”

Mary stopped, swept her hair back with her hand and asked, “How, Simon? Ah thought ma faither made an effort tae keep good relations.”

“Aye, but yer faither was still human, ma dear. He wanted whit was best for Scotland just like ye do. He pressed a claim on Cumbria, sayin’ it was rightfully Scotland’s. This made the King’s hert rather het.”

“How do ye know all of this? Ye left five years ago.”

“Do ye know whaur yer faither went when he left the palace?”

“No, ah ne’er thought about it.”

The old man only smiled giving the answer without even speaking. The late Scottish King’s only true friend and confidant was his personal servant. When Simon had retired, the King made weekly trips to his house to speak about old times as well as ask for advice. It was remarkable that James III, a King asked for advice from a servant who served him food and drink. It has been said in history that James III was one of only a few rulers who entrusted the nation’s future on the words of such a person of minimum stature.

Mary II had her answer, which explained the sudden surge of English troops on the border. It also explained the rash decisions Edward IV was making. She knew now that the son of the late King had promised in his father’s last breath that he would continue with the plan. However, she did not know exactly what the English were planning. If it was war, why had the English not attacked? It was obvious the Scots were recovering from their Scandinavian wars and would not be able to muster a force to push the English back. Or was it all a ruse, an intimidation maneuver to show Scotland its muscle without actually flexing? In either case, Mary II realized she had to act quickly.

boundarydispute_1470.jpg

Edinburgh, Scotland – January 1473

It was a chilly and cloudy day in Edinburgh as the royal council along with statesmen across Scotland convened to discuss important factors of state. Among the notable gentlemen arriving were James Darby, a successful man in the lowland territories; Henri Prescot, a wealthy Welshman whose family migrated to Scotland after Wales lost its independence; Scott Macauley, a respected man who was one of the only invited men who came from a poor family; and David Carnegie, the trusted advisor of government policies for James II. James III and now Mary II. With the entrance of the Queen, the assembly collected themselves and began.

Before any of the men started, their eyes focused on Mary II to hear any encouraging words of the state of affairs. The Queen looked throughout the room, recognizing only about half the gentlemen and started to speak.

“It has been three years of peace, but progress is slow. Ah called this meetin’ tae find the trauchle and solve it. We Scots cannae allow oor differences tae intervene wi’ this nation any longer. We wull stay here until we come as wan.”

Mary II gently sat down as the entire room was silent. Men looked at each other, giving the blame to others by simple eye contact. Without hesitation, David Carnegie rose from his chair.

“Compared tae many of ye, ah am an old man.” Some laughter could be heard from the assembly, even the Queen gave a brief smile. “Ah been advising oor majesties for three generations, that makes me keek even older, but wan thing ah ha’e learned was Scotland was born free and if ye want tae see that freedom taken from us again then continue down the path ye are takin’.”

A man cried out, “And whit are we suppose tae do? We are free, and we’ll fight for that freedom again.”

Carnegie nodded his head. “Aye, yer grandfaithers fought for that freedom ye speak of, not ye. None of ye ha’e proven ye are true men.”

Another man shouted, obviously insulted by the comment, “Ah show ye ma manhood tae prove ah can fight!” Shouts from others agreed.

Carnegie took a deep breath, trying to keep his composure but it was coming undone at the seams. “Ma gentlemen, ye must understand the gravity of oor situation, we…”

A shout from a rude noble interrupted Carnegie, “Ye are not a King, stop actin’ like wan!”

At that instance, Carnegie lost his patience. His pale complexion turned red as he glanced back at Mary II showing his uneasiness. She slowly blinked to show her approval of what he was going to do next.

“Wheesht!” his voice erupted through the room, every man stopped, surprised to see an old man speak so forcefully when he was always known as having a quiet demeanor. “Ilka single wan of ye are gowks. Ah ha’e given ma hert to Scotland. Whit ha’e ye given her? Nothin’, but havers! All of ye girn like wee wains. Ye know nothin’ of whit ah speak of.”

His heart was pounding through his chest; heavy breaths quickly escaped the old statesman. “Ye speak when ye need tae listen! Scotland winnae survive unless we unite and stop bickerin’ wi’ wan another. Ca’ about Scotland, not ye –sel! Ah ha’e given ma life…”

Abruptly, David Carnegie ceased speaking and clutched his chest. Some of the nobility looked on with worried eyes; some even began to get out of their seats. Before long, Carnegie fell to the ground. Many of the men swarmed to his body even Mary II rose and demanded to know what was going on. Carnegie’s last breath was in the room, the same room where anger and contempt raged through the air like a virus. The death of Carnegie, even more so then his last speech was the example needed for many of the nobility to support Mary and most importantly, Scotland as a nation. The cost for the nobility’s support was great, however. Scotland had lost its best statesman who could not be easily replaced.

carnegie_death_1473.jpg

The next two years had a huge improvement in governmental affairs as the nobility finally became supportive of their Queen. Scotland was finally on the right path as advancements in production and trade soon became apparent. In August 1474, Mary II along with able statesmen drafted a new tax system, in which more money would reach the coffers of Scotland without actually taxing citizens even more. With Scottish merchants becoming more and more successful, taxes on their goods were put in place to insure Scotland benefited from its increased commerce. Stability was high and Scotland was flourishing.

The Scottish military was advancing as well. New recruits were replenishing the lost numbers in the army regiments, as well as new training procedures continued to improve the men’s ability to wage battle. The biggest improvement though came in the form of the navy. Before 1470, the navy lacked the ships and the manpower to be considered a maritime country. Mary II issued orders for the commission of three carracks, adequately named Scottish Pride, Free Rider, and The Aberdonian. Though the navy could not be compared to the navies of Castile, Portugal or even England; it was a sufficient start.

Everything was falling so well into place that even God seemed to be blessing Scotland. In late 1474, a man only named as Donnelly was preaching the Word of God to the souls of Aberdeen to the Highlands. Though the Scots traditionally were religious, Donnelly brought religious fervor to their hearts. It has been said in history that this mysterious man even performed miracles among Scottish citizens. However, this can not be completely proven and is mere conjecture. Whatever the case, he had an impact on the stability of the nation at a time that God could have been possibly overlooked by the general populace. Of course though, not everything goes as planned and a storm was brewing. With a little bit of sunshine, sometimes you get some clouds as well.

saint_1474.jpg

Edinburgh, Scotland – March 1475

Mary II walked through the crowded streets on her daily walk through the city. Her bodyguards were behind her but gave the Queen some room to breathe and associate with the locals. The Queen stopped at a nearby merchant stand as she looked through some fabrics that included silk.

“These are quite bonny,” she stated as she picked through the fabrics, eyeing the ones she liked.

“Aye, milady, only the best. Ah ha’e silk too,” he replied, presenting a silk fabric that was incredibly soft and dyed orange.

“Mon! simply amazin’.”

Her bodyguards were behind her but were not entertained by the fabrics. Their attention was soon diverted by two young women who passed them and gave them seductive looks. The men each gave a smile then gave an intimidating look at one another to back off. The women played with their hair as they continued to tease the bodyguards. The Queen, at the stand decided on the silk and went to her purse to give the man his money. As she did this, a lone man casually passed the bodyguards as the men stared at the women. The lone man pulled a dagger from his garment and slowly approached the Queen.

After paying the merchant, Mary II turned around to find her bodyguards. As she moved, an eight inch blade punctured her stomach. She let out a cry as her bodyguards immediately were alerted and saw their Queen hurt. Two of the guards saw a cloaked man walking briskly away and followed him. The other bodyguard rushed to the Queen’s side as she fell to the ground. Her hands still holding the now bloody silk purchase grimaced in pain. The guard could not muster any words as he watched his Queen die in his arms.

Sensing the two guards were following him, he dashed through the crowded streets. However, after a brief pursuit the guards caught the man and returned to the fallen body of Mary II. The guard holding her looked up and a visible tear could be seen dropping from his right eye. The two guards looked at one another and were about to execute the assassin on the spot but the emotional guard before them shouted to stop.

The assassin was brought before the nobles that were present in Edinburgh including Mary’s friend, William Douglas. He had used a poisoned dagger to murder the Queen, though his attentions were not clear.

“Why did ye do this?” One of the nobles snapped at the assassin without a regard for formality.

The assassin only looked up and smiled.

The Scottish nobles were disgusted. “Ye will be executed at first morn. Ye ha’e anything to say?” asked the chancellor.

“Aye, only wan thing.” The disgraceful man paused. “That scunner got whit she deserved.”

William Douglas could no longer hold in his anger. “Ye a deid man!” Douglas pulled his sword and plunged it deep into the assassin’s gut before the guards could react. “Go see yer faither, the de’il in hell!” The assassin gave a bloody smirk before Douglas pushed it deeper into the man’s flesh as the man’s spirit slowly faded away.

Douglas pulled his sword from the dead flesh and looked back at the nobles. “Ye now dinnae ha’e tae wake early in the morn.”

The nobles only lowered their eyes, not in disdain but in concern. The Queen was dead with no present heir. The future of Scotland was now on the fine ropes of failing all together.

After a brief silence, one of the nobles questioned the room, “Whit do we do now? We ha’e no ruler, Scotland will go intae anarchy!”

“Aye, she had no weans, the clans might see this as a way tae gain power again,” another noble stated.

“All hope for a nation stopped wi’ the last breath of oor Queen,” said another.

William Douglas looked at the desperate and uneasy nobles and said, “No, hope isnae deid.”

The confused but hopeful nobles gazed at Douglas awaiting an answer.

“Ah need ye tae keep the peace for a couple of months. Ye think ye can do that?” asked Douglas.

Most of the nobles were quiet, unable to speak. The chancellor responded confusedly, “Aye, we can but whit is the good in that? Soon, word will spread that Scotland has no monarch then anarchy will reign. Scotland as we know it wi’ cease tae exist!”

“That is whaur ye are wrong. Scotland lives in the blood of wan,” Douglas replied as he began to walk out the room.

Hearing the statement, the nobles lifted their heads and almost in unison inquired, “Who?”

William Douglas stopped, turned around and with a fatherly admiration answered, “Her son.”

regency_1475.jpg

You conquered lands in Scandinavia with land tech 1. That's quite an achievement.

If you aren't allied to England, you will not be able to unite the non-Englisg bits of Ireland in peace and will not have a stable southern border which would haveallowed you to continue expanding in Scandinavia. A RM with England gives you a chance of inheriting, though I suspect you'd rather have the techs than the lands.

Have you discovered who hired the assassin?

A cruel end to such a reign. I only hope the succession does not prove too squabblesome.

Seems like the English are getting more and more dangerous, I have a feeling they might be behind this murder also. Now we can only hope that her son will be able to take the throne without the clans starting to fight and say he is a bastard…

Well now, I was not expecting that. A shame she could not live longer as she seemed quite a good Queen. So I wonder if her boy will rise up and take her place after the regency. And was that border dispute with England? And if so, did you press the issue?

Nice work on this update. Very good. :)

Rensslaer- Thank you kind sir for your encouraging words. I was hoping the dialogue would not annoy people. I wanted to give some realistic touch to the speach. Though I do know I'm not completely accurate in the Scottish dialogue. There are so many words the Scots use that I am not aware of. I'm trying my best though. That is also the reason why the dialogue might get better and better as I research and learn new Scottish terms, but don't worry I won't make it so no one can understand what is going on.

stnylan- Well, I can see your logic on how England is doing so well, but I looked at France, which has many more provinces and they're only on land tech 3, navy 1 and below government 5. However, France does control a rather large military which sucks away most of the ducats. In either case, it's just surprising to me.

Lord E- You know Lord E, my good friend, I just have a question. Are you a psychic by any chance? :p

Chief Ragusa- Actually, I think I conquered Scandinavia with level 0. Well, in my rules that I've set for myself, I promised I would never ally with England or even do a RM. War all the way. It definitely would be easier but I like a challenge. Plus, in my game England has basically taken over all of Ireland except Leinster which is my ally so it doesn't look I have to worry about being very diplomatic. And yes, I know who killed the Queen. ;)

coz1- The border dispute was with England and I pressed my claim on Cumbria giving me a nice little core. :D

The next update will probably come tomorrow. I was planning on updating today but I decided to do my taxes today just to get that nasty stuff out of the way. So plan on seeing more adventures tomorrow. Until then, adieu.

Last edited:
Emblem.jpg

Chapter 4

Through recorded journal entries and documents around the time of Mary II, it has been suggested that the young queen knew her life would end in a terrible fate brought upon by her enemies. Because of her inevitable fate, she truly believed that her son, Arthur was the reason for her existence. The queen had come to terms with her very fate knowing that it would not be her but her son that would thrust Scotland into greatness. Her friend and lover, William Douglas knew of her prediction early in their relationship. Though he did not want to believe that her fate was to die; he like many Scots did believe in destiny. He did not argue with her presumed fate. He only prayed that it was misinterpreted.

Mary II named her son, Arthur after the famous, mythical king who united Britain and defeated Rome for its freedom. The young boy by his name alone was destined to change the future of his country. The boy grew under the wise guidance of his father, William Douglas; learning swordsmanship, literature, languages, art and history of his own people. The boy did not learn of his mother’s true identity until he was fifteen years old, the age agreed upon by his parents. For the next five years, he studied and lived a quiet life not knowing that his calling would soon be arriving. The death of his mother in early 1475 would open the door to Arthur’s destiny once and for all. Even with his studies and training, it would be up to the son if he would have the strength and courage to follow what would be next.

South-west of Barrhead, the ancient settlement of Arthurlie sits high on the southern flank of the Clyde Valley. Local tradition states that this settlement was the training camp of the legendary King Arthur and his Strathclyde warriors. In the heart of Arthurlie stands the remnant shaft of a Celtic stone cross slab, named Arthur’s Cross. In 1452, Arthurlie came into the possession of a man named Walter Stewart of Darnley, uncle of the late Mary II. As a young child, Mary would visit her uncle at his estate in Arthurlie. Due to these memories and security it gave, it was decided that her son would grow up in the settlement. The settlement in which the legendary king trained in would be the same training ground of Arthur, the soon to be King of Scotland.

Arthurlie, Scotland – July 1475

William Douglas trudged through the rough, rocky terrain as he saw Arthurlie estate over the horizon. Fearing that conspirators may follow him, he decided to walk once he reached Barrhead to lose any unwanted visitors. The journey of over nine miles did not even faze the Highlander who normally walked great distances from place to place. As he reached Arthurlie, the sun was losing its light, setting in the north-west.

He opened the door to the Stewart estate and immediately saw Camran, the family servant proceed down the stairs to meet him. The middle aged servant was named at birth when his horribly crooked nose created a shout from his father who said, “The wee has a camran!” The name stuck even with persistence from his mother to change it to a more deserving name.

“ Milord, ah wasnae expectin’ ye.”

“Aye, ah ha’e bad news from Edinburgh.”

Camran’s expression changed from surprise to puzzlement.

“Mary is deid,” Douglas barely choked out the words. Her death was still obviously affecting him.

“Whit? Ma god,” Camran stumbled back from the overwhelming shock of the news. “Ah am sorry, milord.”

Douglas nodded to the apology. “Whaur is ma son?”

“In the dinin’ room.”

Douglas entered the dining room to see Arthur finishing his last remaining bites of food. Arthur looked up and smiled, pieces of bread slightly peaking out from his mouth.

“Arthur, ma son,” Douglas emotionally said as he sat down next to him.

“Faither! Ah dinnae know ye were comin’.”

Douglas’s head was lowered, staring down at the ground unable to look at his son. “Aye, ah ha’e somethin’ tae tell ye.”

“Whit is it, faither? Are ye alright?” asked Arthur as he placed his hand on his father’s shoulder, curious on the man’s sudden arrival and sunken look.

“Yer mither…” Douglas lifted his head and gazed at his son. Tears were falling from his eyes.

“Ma mither? Whit is wrong?” Arthur’s worry was quickly turning into panic.

“She’s deid, ma son.”

Arthur abruptly kicked his chair out and stood up. His impulsive heavy breathing was fueling his anger. “How? Ah demand tae know!”

“She wis murdered in the market.”

“And her killer? Whaur is he?”

“Deid, ah killed him.”

Arthur turned away; he didn’t want his father to see his tears. “Why this happen? Wha wid want tae see ma mither deid?”

Douglas rose from his chair and rested both his arms on his son’s shoulders as Arthur couldn’t hold back the sobs any longer. “It wisnae personal, but.”

Arthur interrupted between his sobs. “Nae personal? Aye, it’s personal tae me!”

“Yer mither was Queen of Scotland. Scotland has enemies, ye know that.”

Arthur turned around, his father’s arms around him. “Whit enemy wid kill ma mither?”

Douglas looked at his son. Arthur’s innocence was crashing around him and nothing could stop it. He wanted to tell his son, but he was worried what would occur if he did.

“Tell me, faither! Ah deserve tae know.”

Douglas took a deep breath and with his eyes closed answered with one word, “Angland.”

Arthur knew all about England and its history with Scotland. However, he didn’t know that history would ever personally affect his life. Hatred and rage filled his heart as he finally understood how Scots fighting for their freedom felt when England took everything from them. It would be this hatred that would fuel his ambition to exact vengeance on those responsible for his mother’s death.

The warmth of the sun shining through the window woke William Douglas on the morning of the next day. The intense conversation the night before took enormous energy from him and he overslept because of it. He quickly dressed and headed downstairs where Camran was tending to some plants.

“Whaur is Arthur?”

“He went tae the Hedge tae think,” Camran answered while picking dead leaves off the vine of a plant.

Douglas exited the manor and proceeded to the Hedge; a small, grassy hillock with large rocks dotting the field. It was Arthur’s favorite place for it overlooked the entire settlement while the snow-capped mountains could be seen from the far distance.

Near the edge of the hillock sat Arthur on one of the stone slabs conveniently situated that gave the best view. Douglas sat down next to his son and looked out over the horizon.

“Ah can see why ye come here,” Douglas said breaking the silence in hope that it might entice his son to speak up.

Arthur cleared his throat and briefly glanced at his father. “I ha’e been here for the past twa hours or sae. Ma hert hurts, it’s fu’ of hate, nothin’ mair.”

“Hate wull nae bring yer mither back.”

“Aye, ah dae, but it wull give me vengeance on ma enemies. They are ma enemies noo, faither. Ah hope ye know that.”

Douglas lifted his head back, his eyes glaring up into the sky. “Ah dae.”

Arthur turned his head toward his father and asked, “Whit noo?”

“Ah think ye know just ye ne’er wantit tae admit it tae ye-sel.”

Arthur nodded his head. He knew his fate would one day call though he hoped on different circumstances. He stood up and with a determined voice replied, “Tak me tae Edinburgh.”

The remaining months of the year 1475 was a difficult time for Scotland. Though some of the nobles wanted to see Mary II’s son rise to power, there were a few who decided this was the chance needed to snatch power in the country. While other nobles felt that the experiment with a monarch had failed and that the clan system should be established again. One clan leader in particular, Donald Hume, rose in revolt against the monarchy and with established connections marched on Edinburgh to once and for all destroy any hope of a unified Scotland. Fortunately for William Douglas, Arthur and their supporters, supply line miscommunications delayed Hume’s army from reaching Edinburgh for months. By the time Hume, with his seven thousand strong army reached the city, Arthur and William Douglas were waiting with an army of ten thousand men. In hoping a battle could be avoided, the leaders met to discuss terms.

Edinburgh, Scotland – January 1476

Arthur and Douglas rode towards Donald Hume and his ally, Duncan Scott. Dawn had nearly broke minutes before the group of men would meet. Snow from a storm days before still covered the ground. The air was chilly and men from both armies shook from the frigid weather and the fear of battle.

The men came together and staring at one another, sized up their opponent. Hume saw the young Arthur and spoke first.

“Sae, ye are the bastard son o Mary.” He revealed with a mild hint of jealousy inflicting his tone.

“He is nae bastard but the rightful King o Scotland!” Douglas proclaimed.

“If sae, why hide him all these years?”

“From the likes o ye, that’s why.”

Hume laughed at the comment. “Ah dinnae think that is the reason, he keeks weak.”

Douglas was about to answer when Arthur voiced his opinion on the matter. “Ma blood is pure, ah assure ye o that. Ah might be young, but ah am nae a gowk. Ye question ma strength? Ye want tae test that theory? Ma mither’s blood flows through me and that cannae be questioned! Whit blood flows through ye tae give ye a right to question ma strength?”

Douglas gave a proud look to his son. Hume rubbed his beard, eyeing Arthur to see if the boy was speaking with truth. He looked at Duncan and waved him off to return to the army. With that, Arthur and Douglas believed negotiation had failed and a battle would be inevitable.

Hume looked back to Arthur and said, “Ye are scrawny for a king.”

Arthur gave a confused look, unsure on how to respond.

“But, ye ha’e hert. That is wan thing yer mither had that ah respected. Wull ye be a good king? That remains tae be seen. Yet, ah am willin’ tae tak that chance.” Hume looked around the field at the thousands of Scots awaiting the decision. “It dinnae keek like a good day tae spill good Scot’s blood, the snaw keeks better white then rid, dinnae ye agree?”

Douglas let out a deep breath, obviously relieved. Arthur smiled and replied, “Aye, rid snaw has ne’er caught ma fancy either.”

Donald Hume and Duncan Scott moved their armies away from Edinburgh and soon disbanded the men giving the reason that the King of Scotland had finally arrived. With his only opposition disappearing before his eyes, Arthur would be able to claim his rightful throne.

William Douglas looked on with pride as his son was blessed and ascended the Scottish throne as Arthur I, King of Scotland. The country had a new beginning with a young king. Yet, unknown to the populace of Scotland; Arthur had already decided that his vengeance on England would come just as swiftly as his ascension to the throne. The wars that followed would forever be remembered as The Arthurian Wars.

arthur1.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------

I would like to apologize for the rather late update. The past few days have been relatively hectic so I was unable to finish in time. Chapter 4 is a rather long chapter which consist of two wars. So I decided to break it up into three sections, this being the first. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Good to see that the new king managed to convince the clans not to go against him. I think he handled this in a very good way, and I am certain he will do well as king. Now it is time to get revenge on the evil English.

A young man with a mission of vengeance, blood in his eyes, and rage in his heart. Great times for Scotland surely await!

And so Arthur takes his rightful throne and events begin to lay waste to "Angland." I like it. Yes, very much. :)

Emblem.jpg

Chapter 4 (cont.)​

Edinburgh, Scotland – April 1477

A young man entered the room, his dark blonde hair waving freely with each step he took. He slowly sat down and looked at the number of nobles in front of him. Many of the nobles were present when his mother and even grandfather ruled Scotland; a lot of experience but also old traditions that would change with the course of the meeting.

One of the older nobles stood up and asked, “Milord, whit is the cause fur this meetin’?”

Another noble cleared his throat, sensing the disrespectful tone of the question. Many of the other nobles looked down, not wanting to be implicated as being associated with the instigator.

“Och, Ah dinnae know ah had tae gi’e reason fur a meetin’,” Arthur answered rather sternly, eyeing the noble with considerable disdain. “Ye can leave if ye huv mair pressin’ issues tae attend tae.”

The noble looked around, realizing that he overstepped his place. Wanting to regain some lost respect, he replied, “No, milord. Nothin’ can be mair pressin’ then this.” With that, he bowed his head and did not say a word for the rest of the meeting.

Arthur took a deep breath and continued on. “There is a reason ah called ye here." He stopped briefly to look at the shamed noble for the last time. “As ye know, ma mither had plans fur Scotland. Yet, these ideas and oor success brought her death. It has been months and many theories o her death huv surfaced. Who do ye think killed her? This question ah ask thee.”

Silence filled the room, though all the nobles had theories of why their queen died, not a single one of them wanted to speak the idea in front of her son, their king.

The king looked around, hoping that a brave soul would share with everyone their theory. Unfortunately, Arthur lacked any brave nobles. Of course, that can be considered a good or bad thing depending on the situation that arises. In any case, Arthur began to speak, “Ah am nae surprised tae hear nae wan o ye conjecture why ma mither is deid. Ah wull tell ye who committed this atrocity.”

A noble finally spoke up and curiously asked, “How dae ye know who killed her? The assassin dinnae gi’e any clues on who hired him.”

“Aye, he dinnae but it should nae surprise ye who did hire him.”

“Ye are nae implying that a foreigner paid him?”

“No, a Scot hired him. A foreigner ‘ery close tae home; a country who wud like tae see us fail paid the gold.”

The nobles all stared at Arthur. Many of them were speculative and had every right to be. It was not clearly known if Arthur wanted to just blame someone to unleash his vengeance. Carelessness of a young king was a constant worry for any country.

“Ye thinkin’ Angland had a hand in this? Milord, we huv had peace between oor borders fur a century. Why wud they risk open warfare?” One of the wiser and elder members of the clan Macdonald asked.

“Because we are a thorn tae their side. They huv nae forgotten the humiliatin’ war. Oor freedom came at a cost fur them,” retorted Arthur.

The elder posed another question. “Dae ye huv proof?”

“Aye, ma spies huv uncovered a disturbin’ plot tae overthrow this government and tae gi’e power back tae the clans.” Arthur replied as he glanced to his far left at a quiet but young noble sitting near the end of the table.

“Whit plot?”

“Among us is a traitor who instigated all o this.” Arthur stopped and motioned for the two guards standing near the door to take action. The guards walked behind the young noble and stood still behind his chair. The noble looked behind him and shouted, “Whit is this madness? Ah dinnae hire any assassin!”

“But ye did. Ye were sloppy with hirin’ an assassin only wan town from ye. We knew he came from there due tae his brandin’ on his shoulder. He was a footer in the town, jailed a few times whaur he received the mark.”

“Whit? Just because he came from Cumnock, dinnae mean ah hired him! Any body cud huv!”

Arthur smiled. “Ah ne’er said whit town near ye.”

The man began to sweat. He knew he made a fatal mistake. The nobles, who were not staring at him before, decided to now. His fate was sealed.

“Before ye speak, listen. Tell me that it was the Anglish who paid ye and ah might spare yer life,” stated Arthur.

The noble looked at the two guards behind him, his breathing becoming heavier by the second. “Aye, an Anglish agent paid me. He said that if oor clan did this, when Angland attacked, we wud get land and gold in return.”

Arthur’s face slightly cringed at the statement. Though he knew it was the noble who killed his mother, the thought that her death came because of monetary goods deeply upset him. The king flicked his wrist and the guards picked the noble up and dragged him across the room to the door.

The noble, kicking his feet against the floor, screamed, “Ah ne’er thought…”

Arthur interrupted him before he could finish. “Ne’er thought whit? That she had a son, a son wiser then ye? Ye can howk yer own grave!”

The noble’s eyes grew large. “Ye said ye spare ma life if ah told ye!”

“Ah said ah might spare yer life yet yer life issnae worth sparin’.”

The noble squealed like a pig going for slaughter as the two guards dragged him out of the room and into the darkness of the hallway.

Arthur sat down and then asked the remaining nobles, “Proof enough?”

It was indeed enough proof for all of them agreed to support Arthur. Though each noble’s word would be enough for the king, he still wanted more proof that they would truly assist in the oncoming war. With some encouragement, the nobles relented and gave small portions of their treasuries for the war effort. The gold would insure the salaries of the army as well as enough gold to hire mercenaries that may be needed to fight the large English armies in the coming months.

gift_state1478.jpg

Arthur knew that the eight thousand English soldiers stationed on the border were more then half of the English army. If Scotland could break this wall, English cities would be in his grasp. Preparation for the war followed as fifteen regiments were called up. Five thousand Scottish soldiers sailed from Edinburgh to Leinster, their ally for the offensive in Ireland. The remaining ten thousand men of the Scottish army marched to the border. Within the year, Scotland was ready.

The First Arthurian War was about to begin.

Good to see Arthur clean up at home and remove the traitor. Now it is time to clean up abroad and teach the evil English a lesson.

Mmm, the boy does have a mean streak to him.