Sci-fi Setting: Concepts for a Sequel

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oh- forgot to mention: Use the arrow keys to move the camera.

Again, any feedback would be appreciated, even if it's just to confirm that it runs okay on your machine, (or, conversely, that it doesn't run okay.)

Right, well, thanks anyway. I've been advised to move the project to another site to avoid potential IP infringements or claims of advertising, so I'll do that. Probably.

downloading now :D

F:\Alfrydproject\Demo\Republic>java -cp .;lwlgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;lwjgl-debug.j
ar rep.game.GameTest
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Meh I will need to find a redistributable, one sec.
Still Does not work. Looks like my system is not recognizing java as a command.

F:\Alfrydproject\Demo\Republic>java -cp .;lwlgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;lwjgl-debug.j
ar rep.game.GameTest
'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Last edited:
Alfryd will most likely talk about this elsewhere. Since the project was less Majesty and more something new, it's better to cut that link. Don't worry, it is still progressing and I must admit it's really looking good (even with the crashes and bugs).

So long, and thanks for all the fish

Yeah, I'll probably set up a new forum for the purpose elsewhere, once I can reliably get a demo running on other platforms (there seems to be a problem with .bat files calling java on Windows 7.)

In the meantime, another screen of something interesting: Planet generation. (I worked this out in the last fortnight or so, possibly as a startup option for player campaigns, or like a freestyle option.)

cf9f8addaf.png

Also, I now have a complete sequence for housing progression:

141e84c7ad.jpg

In other news, Solaris seems to be a good reference for the Changelings, and A Canticle for Leibowitz seems a dead ringer for the Initiates...

Last edited:
This is likely to be my last post for... some time. The project is still progressing- or at least, was- but unfortunately a laptop accident has set me back by at least several weeks. So, I'm going to take the time to do things over properly and iron out any visible wrinkles. (I have at least set up another forum for the purpose, but it's still under construction.) The next version will be released when it's ready, and it will not be ready soon. I can't give any other promise than that.

Well wow how could i have missed this thread this is awsome. Sadly the link to the alpha you posted no longer work so please repost that if you can. I would love to try it out. Also what is the url to the forum? Anyway project looks very good, keep it up!

A nice bump to hopefully get Alfryd to notice :)
I do appreciate the thought, and although I haven't forgotten about the project, I really have very little further to report at the moment (though I have made some very tentative progress toward supply/demand-based economy-simulation, I must admit to being somewhat distracted in recent months.) Again, I can't really give any promises about when the next update will be, and when/if I do, it'll be on another forum. Thanks in any case.

I have one or two small announcements to make.

In terms of actual progress in game mechanics- I've overhauled the lifepaths/skill system so that they're much more extensive and easier to maintain, I've implemented descriptions of the background politics and major houses, and I'm gradually getting to grips with a large-scale economy simulation. If I can just get that much done, that'll be a game unto itself, so I'm still working at it... slowly. But no, nothing more to download at the moment.

Secondly, I'm moving further updates to the Java Gaming Forum for the forseeable future, until I can get a working beta up and running, at which point I'll look into options for my own forum/hosting. At the moment, there's a concept-art thread here, with a couple of new or heavily-revised buildings in the works.

http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php/topic,24546.0.html

bastionx.png

plazau.png

pleasuredome.png

Ooh, also- I've thought of a plausible explanation for sovereign spells! (Where by 'explanation', I mean 'appeal to genre precedents for technobabble'.) Y'know, like Cerebro from X-men, or the Golden Throne from WH40K, or the Krell device from Forbidden Planet. That is, the sovereign actually casts them personally using some kind of psionic amplification device.
*shrugs*

Last edited:
M8! Point 6 of the user agreement of the board:
"COPYRIGHT NOTICE - All content posted on the message boards of Paradox is the exclusive intellectual property of Paradox. Copyright ownership of that content resides with Paradox and the Company is free to use any of the content as they wish. Anyone other than Paradox seeking to reprint, republish, or reproduce content posted on the Paradox message boards must receive the express written permission from Paradox Interactive. By posting on the Paradox message boards you are agreeing to the above and relinquishing all copyright to the contents of the post(s) to Paradox."

Guys, if you make something nice that you wish to retain control over, link to it from this site rather than posting it here. Else, you basically are giving your rights away.

As far as I understand, if any company would try to steal intelectual property because it had been posted in the forum, it would end badly in the courtroom, since, you can indeed, write whatever you want to in the forum rules, but the laws of the country where server is located/company is registered will always be far, far above whatever nonsense company chooses to force its users to agree to. So unless server is located &/or Paradox is located in some country with horrible lawlesness, this shouldn't be a problem. Of course, there's allways the chance that the victim will not either notice or will not make a fuss out of the stolen rights. Anyway, private, project oriented server would be better for the reason that this has grown to have very little connection with the Majesty 2 itself, so, moving away is a natural step. All the best with the project!

Most of those encounters with companies won't reach court. They'll be settled outside, either you facing their team of lawyers or your lawyer discussing details with them. Even if you manage to go to court and win, it can end up costing you more than it's worth as well as potentially ruining the name of the project, the timing, etc.

M8! Point 6 of the user agreement of the board:
"COPYRIGHT NOTICE - All content posted on the message boards of Paradox is the exclusive intellectual property of Paradox...
That would be why I'm moving the project to another forum. To be honest, though, I don't think they're likely to pursue this one way or another. (Though, hey- if Paradox has any interest in any actually making use of said intellectual property, I'd be all ears.)
...Anyway, private, project oriented server would be better for the reason that this has grown to have very little connection with the Majesty 2 itself, so, moving away is a natural step. All the best with the project!
Well, like I said earlier, I do want to preserve various 'key elements' of the original Majesty's gameplay, in the sense of character autonomy, personality-simulation, suggestive background lore, various elements of homage/genre parody etc. But yeah, I guess none of that is intrinsic to Maj2 per se, so given the extensive changes to setting, I suppose that's a valid point.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...unces-new-Forum-User-Agreement-amp-Rules-****

Read this very recent thread for, amongst other things, talk about the point 6.

-EDIT-
From the same thread, in case you wanted to use a link to point to the game you made:
"Quote Originally Posted by xcrissxcrossx View Post
Would you be allowed to post a link to a personal site containing an AAR that you have written. and if so, would this till be considered copywrited by PI since it is a link to another site?
No, No external links. "

Oh, and you will have to ask them permission to use any of the material you already posted here, unless you are ready to contest their copyright claim, since you've already posted a lot. They say that previously they gave author of game license to use the stuff they created, so you have a shot, but they still view it as theirs.

Last edited: