• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SykNet

Recruit
Apr 25, 2017
After doing some searching on how to upscale the GUI for 2k/4k, these are the current options I have found. Credits go to various sources over many past years from either reddit, paradox forum or steam community.

As I understand it, the major problem is that all fonts in this game are Bitmaps and not TrueType. Upscaling these (very small) pictures will result in either best-case blurry or worst-case distorted text. All fonts would need to be re-created from their original TTF format into larger sized bitmaps.

1. scale_ui mod. Currently the best option, as it actually re-scales all gfx (with gimp) and re-adjusts all interface files accordingly using a python script. How-to: See instruction on the mod page. Run game borderless windowed. Pro: Sharp fonts. Con: Not trivial to install. Not compatible with any other mod (unless it would also be upscaled the same way).
  2. Desktop resolution. This lets your monitor do the scaling which usually yields better result than software upscale. How-to: Set you Windows desktop resolution to 1080p before starting the game. Set to borderless window mode in the launcher and run. Pro: Works with any mod. Con: Have to switch your desktop resolution back every time. Slightly blurry.
  3. Game resolution. Same as above but the game sets the resolution. How-to: Set to fullscreen in the launcher and then set to 1920x1080 ingame. Reload. Pro: Works with any mod. Con: Currently (patch 1.33) if you run the game in fullscreen you are locked at 60Hz. Slightly blurry.
  4. Windows scaling. In this case Windows will try to upscale the UI. How-to: Go to the Windows display settings and change the overall layout size if not already done so. Then go to game install folder, right click on eu4.exe, select Properties, select the Compatibility tab, click "Change high DPI settings" and then check "Override high DPI scaling behavior" Scaling performed by: System (enhanced). Run game borderless windowed. Pro: Works with any mod. Con: Slightly more blurred. 1440p would need a 133% upscale to be exact, but only 125% or 150% can be selected.
  5. Game scaling. This is also a software upscaling done by the game itself. How-to: Go to the ingame graphics settings and use the slider bar to set the scale size. 1440p = 1.3 (actually 1.3333) 2180p = 2. Or open Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\settings.txt and edit the gui_scale option accordingly. Pro: Works with any mod. Con: Blurred and partially distorted. Worse for 1440p then 2160p.
If you know any other viable method to rescale the UI, please comment below. Disclaimer: The presented order is my subjective view on the quality of outcome and may also depend on my hardware. Please try all methods and see which one suits you best, if any.

Last edited:
Sincerely recommend you to try Lossless Scaling on Steam which applies AMD FSR.It’s performance is nearly the same as a 1080p screen itself.The drawback is that it will slow down your game speed.

Paradox, may we, please, just get the damn 4k proper setup? We pay for every new DLC n yet, in 2023, without mods we cannot play it on 4k. With mods I cannot play with my friends who do not have 4k.

With mods I cannot play with my friends who do not have 4k.
You can play with your friends as long as the mod doesn't change the checksum. The two 4k mods which I know about, explain in their steam description how to disable their changes to the minimap so that they don't alter the checksum.