• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

King_kovu

First Lieutenant
24 Badges
Jul 14, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
So, as with my other mod, this is now defunct. I don't have the time or energy to fiddle with things and so forth anymore. I don't know if this is still compatible with the latest patch but basically, I'm going to leave it here just in case it is or if anyone wants to use the basis of the coding for their own work.

What is this?:
This, my friends, is a Saxon England mod...yes...another one. The other one's are all dead. It's focus is entirely on pre-1066 England. It just adds a little bit to the whole 9th century in England really. The second release is live below.

I hope to add a few more England in general features down the line, such as the Prince of Wales title. Oh and I plan to make a few 'Graphical' changes too but that will be a long way off as I'm really useless with that stuff. The gist of those will be to change the 4 Kingdom flags in 865, which won't be much trouble, but the one that will give me hassle will be replicating a mod I saw the other day that has since gone out of date that has three flags based on whether the Saxons, Normans or Norwegians hold England.

If you have suggestions or want to offer your aid then come right in and leave a comment or message me, my ears are always open. Also, report any bugs below.

I am aware of some historical inaccuracies, such as Burgred fleeing to rome rather than dying, the fact that the 874 scenario is likely a decade too early and the fact that there's no evidence that Æthelred is Burgred's son. I didn't want to leave Burgred alive and Æthelred's dynasty is usually considered to be Of Mercia so i just felt like making Æthelred his son...as for the date of the Alfred's stand scenario, the whole time frame froom the era seems too drawn out for my liking, I find it hard to believe that it took them twenty years to conquer two kingdoms after they'd already subdued Northumbria. And I speak of the puppet king issues in the description.

Bare in mind that I have fiddled slightly since these were taken, the High Reeve image was just to show the name change, the character who holds it is now dead by that year.
22_zps432259d8.jpg

23_zpsfeaadd68.jpg

24_zps924b9917.jpg

25_zps2e9ea3bf.jpg

26_zps69096b1a.jpg

27_zps386031b8.jpg

Current Version: 1.04 - October Sixth 2013

Download Links:

Changelog from last version, AKA, Why should I download this new one.
Fixed a hell of a lot of bugs that I was experiencing and gave me one HELL of a headache. King of England was unformable and the events for EFCHM weren't working right and all manner of things. I don't know if this was the case across the board but this patch should finally make this mod actually playable.

The King of England is now only formable by decision, which requires such an amount of gold and three of the four Saxon Kingdoms. You will NOT be able to form it normally, you have been warned.

Compatibility:
SB is compatible with all DLCs and 1.111 patch

Other than that, as with my other mod, I don't know...I know it's not compatible with No Requirements.

This mod includes an altered Landed Titles.txt, Defines.lua, Bookmarks.txt and an altered history file for most English titles, along with altered Saxon and Norse character history files. Any mod that alters any of these will likely cause issues with mine, especially one's that effect Landed Titles or the history of titles, those are key to this mod moving smoothly.

What It Does:
Version 1.00:

Defines has been messed with to remove all CD penalties just because I hate them so much.

Defines has also been changed so that 81% of a Kingdom is now required to create it and 90% to Usurp it. Adds a bit more of a challenge but it's also for reasons to do with the events.

Saxon Dukes are now Earldormen who govern Earldormancies

Saxon Counts are now High Reeves.

The 865 English Kingdoms are now full blown de jure Kingdoms. You heard me. But there's a twist. These Kingdoms are in turn De Jure parts of the Kingdom of England which is still de jure part of Britannia. The Kingdom of the Isles has the same treatment.

Two new start dates. 871 where Alfred and the king of Mercia stand alone against the King of Danelaw and the King of East Anglia and Mercia has lost Lincoln and Leicester to Danelaw. The King of Danelaw is Halfdan because it is impossible to create a puppet Saxon King. 874(i think), where Alfred is the only Saxon king left. The son of the former King of Mercia serves Alfred as an Earldorman of Mercia though most of the Kingdom now belongs to Danelaw.

Revised borders of the Kingdoms of England. East Anglia now has Essex, which is de jure part of the duchy of Norfolk, Mercia, at first, holds Middlesex but loses it to Wessex control by 871 start date. Mercia, in 865 and 871, also has Oxford. I feel this is more historically accurate, though i could be wrong. The main reason for Middlesex and Essex's changes is that London marked the border of the three Kingdoms but in itself was Mercian. Now, if Wessex holds Essex and Middlesex then one, it holds London and two, London is now a whole county from East Anglia.

None Saxon duchies, Lancaster and York, are now locked off from Saxons, these titles weren't created till much later.

Three Events. One that fires if England is formed by the norse, naming it Daneland, one that fires if the saxons get there first and one that if the Norse got their first but the saxons took it back. The first two serve only to destroy the four lower King titles, which is why the requirement is now at 80% to form a Kingdom, since otherwise Danelaw could form Daneland real quick in 871/874 and rob Alfred of his Kingdom of Wessex. The last one simply reverts Daneland back to England...simple, right?

I have also messed around with the character files, removing/killing people who were making the coding rather annoying.

I think that's all...

Added in V1.01
Removed Ivar and Halfdan's doomstacks in the two new scenarios.

Fixed really major and really annoying bugs resulting from an added character who's ID must have been out of the game's range or something cos his presence messed up a lot until I gave him Harold's baby son's ID number...however this does mean that in 1066 Harold has an infant child with the 'twin' trait but their twin is no longer even in the game...he's now the son of the King of Mercia. Still, as they're infants and Harold often loses, I doubt anyone will mourn it.

Fixed bugs where some people ended up independant of the crown after 1066 bookmark.

This is mostly just a clean up patch that makes the mod actually playable.

Added in V1.03
The inclusion of 'EFCHM - England Flag Changing Mod' by Athalcor.

d_wales, a title that, as of 1301 is given to the Heir apparent of England in the start. You may then grant it to your first born son from then on. It exists as a titular title before then but doesn't actually do anything etc. I still need to script events for it.

Correct flags for King of Wessex title.

Coming in the next update
nothing yet

Credits
King_Kovu:- I built the mod

The creators of Elder Kings:- Whose coding I...borrowed and reshaped to fit my needs

The author of Saeculum Obscurum:- Who's mod gave me the knowledge to that inspired this mod. I had wanted to make a Saxon mod but having seen the 'King of the world' title that de jure included all empires in that mod I learnt that I could make the Kingdoms of Wessex, Mercia etc into full blown kings with the full De Jure they deserve.

Athalcor:- Whose mod, EFCHM, is incorperated

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Finally, Anglo Saxon England gets some special treatment! Will definitely try out. Incidentally, did you change the succession law system? Only ask because primogeniture doesn't quite suit the Anglo Saxons. If not, this is still better then vanilla's lack of even attempting to include Aelfread the Great.

Problem, whenever I try to grant anyone a title, the title goes to the Ealdorman, not the courtier that I am trying to grant it to.
Also, for some reason, there seems to be some of the Bulgarian army in England.
Incidentally, this is Alfred's Fight start.
Edit: I also cannot raise any levies from the Ealdorman, despite having 100 opinion?

Problem, whenever I try to grant anyone a title, the title goes to the Ealdorman, not the courtier that I am trying to grant it to.
Also, for some reason, there seems to be some of the Bulgarian army in England.
Incidentally, this is Alfred's Fight start.
Edit: I also cannot raise any levies from the Ealdorman, despite having 100 opinion?

Yes I just noticed that title granting issue, I had hoped it was an issue with my copy of the game because I cannot for the life of me think of what I changed to cause that...for me I can only grant a county to an Ealdorman and if I try to give out a Ealdormanry it get's given to Æthelred, the Earldorman of Merica, even in the 865 start before he has any titles or is even in Alfred's court (I was playing as Alfred's older brother at the time.)

The army issue i'm lost on too. I'll ask a question or two and see if anyone has the answer.

edit: also, yes, the saxon titles should have tanistry but i'm not entirely sure if i hit all three but I will by the time i update. Personally, as Harold was able to become king through the Witan then Elective is the best choice for me but i've heard most people claim tanistry is the best match.

Last edited:
If you want to use anything of this - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?724071-EFCHM-England-Flag-Changing-Mod - feel free to do so, as long as you give me credit :).

That's the flag mod I talk about at the top...i didn't remember its name but yes, if I use it then I will credit...assuming I can work out how it works...shouldn't be all that hard.

edit: I see that it's not out of date but I thought it was as I downloaded it and it didn't work right, because I downloaded the + version...not sure why. I'm currently working on incorporating it :)

Last edited:
That was impressively quick. Well done. Now to download and play....

I pride myself on fixing issues as quickly as I can.

I posted the question about the issues and was refreshing the page every few minutes and eventually got tired of waiting and dove into what i guessed might be the issue...and it worked.

As a Kingdom or as a duchy? It's supposed to exist as a duchy in the hands of Æthelred who is a vassal of Alfred.

Have you started the game and it's remained there? I was having issues during the modding process of my game refusing to read my files correctly and East Anglia was remaining in the hands of the saxons, which was frustrating.

For some reason the game likes to create bugs that have no relevance to the files really. Could you give me as much information on the issue as you can and possibly a few screenshots?

Edit:
This definitely isn't happening for me so I don't know if I can do anything to fix it. I'd say delete the mod and redownload...and make sure it's in your document mod directory not the game file mod directory.

Last edited:
As a Kingdom or as a duchy? It's supposed to exist as a duchy in the hands of Æthelred who is a vassal of Alfred.

Have you started the game and it's remained there? I was having issues during the modding process of my game refusing to read my files correctly and East Anglia was remaining in the hands of the saxons, which was frustrating.

For some reason the game likes to create bugs that have no relevance to the files really. Could you give me as much information on the issue as you can and possibly a few screenshots?

Edit:
This definitely isn't happening for me so I don't know if I can do anything to fix it. I'd say delete the mod and redownload...and make sure it's in your document mod directory not the game file mod directory.
Both Wessex and Alfred are petty kings. So it seems in my game Alfred isn't becoming a king for some reason and thus can't have a duke as a vassal. It's probably just a mod conflict.

Both Wessex and Alfred are petty kings. So it seems in my game Alfred isn't becoming a king for some reason and thus can't have a duke as a vassal. It's probably just a mod conflict.

Yeah, if you're running any other mods alongside it then that will be the issue. Anything that edits the Landed Titles will ruin this. If it touches the title histories then this won't work right either.

edit: histories of English titles at least.

Yeah, if you're running any other mods alongside it then that will be the issue. Anything that edits the Landed Titles will ruin this. If it touches the title histories then this won't work right either.

edit: histories of English titles at least.
Yup, I disabled a bunch of mods and it worked. Thanks.
EDIT: BTW: Is England meant to become de jure after forming it? If not, I think it should or there should be a decision for it, IMO.

Last edited:
England is. The way I've created it makes the Kingdoms of Wessex, Northumbria, East Anglia and Mercia de jure parts of the kingdom of England. After the formation of England the four are destroyed but if you are independent of the English crown and can obtain the necessary 80% of one of teh smaller kingdoms you can form them....assuming you're saxoon or norse...if you use a start date past England's Norman conquest you do, however, lose that option.

Edit: much further down the line I may look at a neater but more complicated coded system based of the Elder Kings system.

Last edited:
HA! It's Bernard's Uhtred series that sparked my passion for English History, especially in the saxon era and also made me want to make this mod.

Edit: I intend to have the new version up by the end of today. I just need to do some event coding for the d_wales title and I've been trying to hold off as it's only been two days since the last version :p

Edit 2: I'm really struggling to code the events necessary but if I fail to get them done before the end of the day i'll release the latest version without them this evening anyway.

Edit 3: I gave up trying to work the events and have just uploaded the latest version without them.

Last edited: