• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

HrothgarII

Recruit
14 Badges
Apr 19, 2008
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
Hadn't played for a while, but I decided to go back to it. Unhappily, the game will not load saves. It's way too long to play at one sitting, so it's fairly useless now.

Tried reinstalling, but no help.

I'd really appreciate a solution to this.

Thanks,
Rodger

These are new saves you are making now, or ones from when you played before?

Are you playing on Windows, Mac or Linux?

Was your reinstall a clean one; ie you manually deleted all remnant files and folders before installing again?

Do add warlock2.exe to the whitelist/ exceptions list of your antivirus app.

These are new saves, made earlier in the day, and attempted to load later.

Playing on Win10 [same machine as I played it on last year, when I had no trouble].

Purchased thru Steam, so there aren't any files to speak of on my machine. I uninstalled using Steam's uninstall function.

Warlock doesn't show up as being installed on my machine -- altho some Steam games do -- so I cannot add it to an exceptions list. However, I am able to start as many NEW games as I like, so it doesn't seem like the anti-virus is blocking the program per se. However, when I start the game, go to "Single Player," click "Load," select a saved game from the list, and then click "Load," I receive this message: "Save game loading error: file does not exist."

I was able to figure out how to add the game to my exceptions list. Unhappily, it made no difference.

Come on, folks! There has to be something that can be done to enable me to play this game!

The save files are held in ...\Steam\userdata\<SteamID>\205990\remote\saves\ . It can really only be that something is stopping the game from writing to that folder or reading from it, which is very likely to be an antivirus app.

Thanks! I'll have to play for a period of time and then save, shut down, and try to load the game again. I found the folder, which was marked under properties as "Read Only" and unchecked that box. Meanwhile, I see two sorts of files: .client.2 files, and .info files. Is that all there is, or is there a file type which is missing. For instance, there are no .sav files.

Unhappily, it still doesn't load properly. Again, are ".client.2" files and ".info" files all I need in that folder, or should there be another type of file?

Also, the path to the folder with these files is somewhat different from what you noted above:

Steam/userdata/91093165/205990/remote/saves

As you can see, there is an extra folder in that path [91093165] which did not appear in the path you gave. As I know little about such things, I don't know whether this is significiant.

Last edited:
91093165 is your SteamID, which I did include in the path I gave.

Each save should have three files; the first save will be 1001.logic and 1001.info and 1001.client.2 . The second one will start with1002 , etc. If you have no .logic files that's a problem as they are the main part of the save, over 6mb each in my case. The other two are just a few kb.

Interestingly my folder is flagged RO also but that doesn't stop the game from writing there. Did you try running the game as the Windows administrator?

What antivirus app do you use? Did you add game.exe to its exceptions list?

Thank You! Yes, I was able to add the game to my antivirus [Avast] exceptions list. However, the problem is that the logic files are absent. Any idea what might cause that?

However, there seems to be a workaround. The autosaves seem to include their logic files. So, saves which I manually create cannot be loaded -- which is annoying -- but autosaves can be loaded. Thus, to pick up the game after a break, I have to go back to the last autosave.