• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hannibal X

A Man
7 Badges
Dec 28, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
As a proud owner of For The Glory, I'd like to know how to edit provincial culture and religion within a savegame; when I edit the province.txt, it changes it for all scenarios. Thank you.

For culture I think you can add this to the province:

Code:
city = {
		name = "Vaagan"
		[B]culture = "ugric"[/B]
		population = 2497.873
		location = 259
		bailiff = yes
		fortress = { level = 2.000 }
	}

Not sure about religion though. :/ Maybe religion = "..." works?

Well firstly you might need to lookup db/map/province.txt to find out the ID of the province you want to edit. Just open that file and search for the province name and you should be able to find the ID just above it.

Then take that ID and in your savegame search for "id = xxxx" where xxxx is the number. Then it should show something like this, depending on the status of the province:

province = { id = 405 whiteman = yes }

Change this so it looks like:
province = { id = 405 whiteman = yes
religion = "catholic"
culture = "italian"
}

or whatever you want the culture and religion to be.

As a precision, culture in the city section is for the architectural style on the map and the city view. There is no influence for bonuses and penalties.
The culture of a province (taken in account for bonuses and penalties) is in the corresponding province section, if different from the default value specified in provinces.txt.

Culture in a city section is stored in a savefile only if it is not the same as for the province.

There is no religion for a city, only for a province and stored in a savefile only if different from the default provinces.txt value.

Lastly, a savefile will always add double quotes for values that include characters (string). Double quotes are not mandatory in the DB files for single words that are keys ("tag name" of religion, culture, etc).

Last edited: