• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RustyHunter

Lt. General
9 Badges
May 9, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
Savages of Utah - The Beginning of the Tale

6jS07ss.jpg

The man had been stalking his prey for the whole day, and he was finally beginning to catch up. The beast had led him across the desert scrubland, through several canyons, and finally to its lair. The cave was just off a canyon, sheltered within the towering reddish-tan walls. The entrance was wide open and marked by the bones of past victims. The sandy floor was churned up from the passage of the beast’s claws, and dried blood covered the ground.

The man steeled himself to enter, but his mind was still reeling from the concoction the shaman had given him, some drink made from the sacred datura. The world had gone strange, hues of purple and blue, after he drank, but his hunter’s instincts had not failed him in tracking the beast. The shaman had warned this was more than just a hunt, the whole fate of the tribe rested on his shoulders.

The man began to edge his way into the cave, tightening his grip on a crude spear. He reached the cave’s turn to the right and was immediately hit with an unimaginable stench. Decaying carcasses were mixed with sweat and something else, something he had never smelled before. Ahead of him, within the shadows, the great beast slumbered.

The animal was a Yao Guai, like a bear from before the Harrowing, but bigger, meaner. It had a brownish-green coat of patchy fur over its lumpy, mutated flesh. Each paw held knife-like claws capable of rending flesh and bone alike. Its teeth dripped with blood, and the man silently said a prayer to the gods. As he prepared to throw his spear at the beast, its milky-white eyes suddenly flashed open, and it leapt to its feet with shocking speed. The man loosed his spear at the beast and saw it strike it upon the shoulder, driving deep into its rippling flesh.

ziwEPxr.png

The beast let out a blood-curdling roar and suddenly burst into flames that gave off no heat. The man’s vision shifted from purple to red as the beast charged him. He entered a fighting stance and readied his final spear for a strike on the beast’s heart. His vision suddenly flashed between black and red as the beast got closer each time. He felt his spear sink into flesh, felt something tear his side, felt the crush of an impossible weight, and finally his vision slipped to black permanently.

When the man awoke, he was buried under the great bulk of the beast with both their bloods mingling together. His spear had obviously found its mark even as the beast clawed his side, but the man had proven victorious. The beast was no longer flaming, and his vision had returned to normal; the sacred datura had clearly worn off, marking the end of his great journey. Every part of his body ached, but the man set to work removing the front paws of the beast to present to the tribe. The shaman’s final task had been to salt the cave, preventing any evil spirit’s return to the slain beast. After half a day of walking, he returned to his people and was proclaimed Salt-Upon-Wounds, chief of the White Legs.

DDaLZdz.png

Before Salt’s rise to power, the White Legs had been one of numerous primitive tribes spread across Utah after the nuclear holocaust of 2077. The tribe was made up of scattered survivors that gradually lost modern knowledge in adapting to the new world and reverted to a more primitive state. This group had almost no knowledge of agriculture and instead became nomadic scavengers that raided more civilized groups and poked through the carcass of the Old World to survive.

The group eventually took to painting themselves white as camouflage for the salt flats of Utah, and it later became part of their distinctive identity. They also wore red and yellow war paint and pieced together clothes from scavenged scraps and pelts of animals they hunted.

BZZJMF0.jpg

The tribe became known for its savagery and aggression against outsiders, but most groups treated the White Legs as more of a nuisance rather than an existential threat; wars in the Utah consisted of raids for slaves, food, or salvage, not conquest. All of this changed when Salt-Upon-Wounds was named chief; he combined savagery with a goal of conquest and subjugated many of the tribes across southwestern Utah. In ten years of battles the chief had slain hundreds of his tribe’s foes in hand-to-hand combat and cemented his reputation as the fiercest warrior in all of the Utah while making the White Legs a significant power rather than a band of jackals.

Kkveyyl.png

Unfortunately for Salt, his success brought his people to the brink of disaster. Their numbers had grown thanks to the spoils of war, and his people came to expect further lands to raid. They had successfully conquered the tribes of southwestern Utah, but they lacked the skills and equipment to raid the more advanced groups remaining in the region. As of 2275, the White Legs were still living high on their victories, but time was running out.

t4fjbDH.png

The outside world had also grown much more complicated during Salt’s rule. The White Legs’ lands were surrounded by various tribes and raiders, but three groups were most threatening. To the north, the Eighties were a band of tribal raiders nearly as fierce as the White Legs. The two sides had clashed over the years, but neither was strong enough to conquer the other which led to an uneasy peace. Far to the west, the Desert Rangers had protected scattered towns and opposed White Leg raids; however, they had pulled back in recent years and left the Utah to the various tribes. Finally, the New Canaanites resided to the northeast on the shores of the Great Salt Lake. They had driven the White Legs from their ancestral home long ago, so every White Leg bore a deep hatred for the New Canaanites. Mormon missionaries occasionally arrived in White Leg territory, but they were driven off, hardening the hatred between the two groups. Salt-Upon-Wounds had also heard rumors of a living god that had united the tribes of Arizona and was preparing to conquer the entire world. Salt had led his people to domination and prosperity, but the world seemed ready to tear it all away. A time of great change was coming, and Salt was not sure his people were ready…

wemudN8.png

Notes: Welcome to my third AAR and first foray into HOI4! I got the game in the $1 Humble deal and immediately dived into some of the excellent mods available. I've loved Fallout for a long time, so the Old World Blues mod was almost made for me. I haven't seen any recent OWB AARs, so I figured I should give it a go.

I want to keep this enjoyable for people that have never played Fallout, so the key thing to know is the world ended in nuclear fire in 2077. The mod picks up in 2275 as new civilizations have arisen across North America and begun to spread their control. I selected the White Legs, a group of survivors that regressed to a tribe of hunter-gatherers since much of our modern knowledge is useless for day-to-day survival. There's something about their aesthetic I've always found interesting, so I hope I can make a minor faction interesting.

I'm far from an expert on this game or the mod (I haven't even played vanilla), but I'll do my best to answer any questions. Feel free to provide feedback as I'm always looking for tips to improve my writing. Thanks for joining me on the journey of the White Legs tribe!

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Wow, I admire a busy authAAR! Have played neither Fallout and only a little vanilla HOI4, so I am part of that audience. ;) An impressive narrative and graphic opening - I like the style.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is great! I like the style. The opening of the Yao Guai hunt was intense.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wow, I admire a busy authAAR!
Well, I was putzing around with this mod and having a good time when the urge to write it up got me. I don't know how or why, but I can't resist ;)

Have played neither Fallout and only a little vanilla HOI4, so I am part of that audience. ;)
I am always very glad to have you following my works, and I suspected you might be my first commenter! You can basically picture Fallout as Mad Max but a bit more civilized and some more sci-fi mixed in. And not in the Outback of course! I can't say I know much about HOI4 (and I still prefer HOI3), so I'm more using it as a vehicle for the story I want to share.

I intend to introduce the background information as the tribe encounters it, so hopefully it won't feel jarring and you won't feel lost. People that have played the games might recognize some foreshadowing, but I don't think that should take away from your enjoyment.

An impressive narrative and graphic opening - I like the style.
Thanks! I think this AAR will lend itself to some sort of narrative in every update, so I intend to keep it up. I can't guarantee they'll always be as action-packed, but I hope I can keep them exciting!

This is great! I like the style. The opening of the Yao Guai hunt was intense.
Thanks @jak7139 ! I really appreciate your comment and hope to keep you entertained as this goes along.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I must admit, I, like Bullfilter, don't know much of the Fallout world, but I shall still follow this with interest.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I must admit, I, like Bullfilter, don't know much of the Fallout world, but I shall still follow this with interest.
Thank you for following along! Like I mentioned earlier, I'll introduce the world as we encounter it. I suppose choosing a tribe makes a nice advantage as there's a lot they wouldn't know, just like some readers.

To everyone, I'm planning to hold this to a fairly consistent schedule of one update a week. I have some written up ahead of time, but I don't want to publish them all and then have nothing for a long time. Thanks again for following along with this, and I look forward to your future comments!

• 1Like
Reactions:
It’s been a while since I’ve seen a old word blues AAR glad to see a new one
Thanks for commenting! I appreciate your following along and hope to keep you interested.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Part 2: Visions in the Dark
Visions in the Dark

Salt-Upon-Wounds had decided his people would need to change to deal with new threats in the outside world, but that did not mean they had to throw away their culture or traditions. Instead, the White Legs would focus on honing their fighting and scavenging, just like their ancestors since time immemorial.

ATSBP63.png

CVLl3HD.png

The craftsmen were also directed to focus on three pieces of equipment: pipe guns, dynamite, and support equipment. Most of the tribesmen were equipped with machetes, spears, and other simple melee weapons while an elite few understood guns and explosives.

x7KR7ng.png

As Salt’s people adapted to the changes, the chief returned to the shaman and asked for guidance. He was directed to return to the cave where he had slain the Yao Guai ten years ago and consume a drink made from the sacred datura.

As Salt entered the cave, he saw the bones of the beast had been undisturbed all these years. No scavengers had dared gnaw on the beast, as if they sensed the evil spirit that once dwelled within the cave. The chief seated himself across from the beast and drank deeply. Once again, his vision took on shades of blue and purple as a headache began to develop in the back of his head. He sat for a few moments, lost in contemplation. The headache grew in intensity, and the silence was suddenly pierced by a low, rasping voice.

“It is kind of you to return. It has been many years, and my soul grows restless. It has not been in vain though, for I have done much work in the world,” the voice whispered. It seemed to be coming from the bones of the beast, but nothing had moved in the cave. “Go outside and look upon what I have wrought. Perhaps we shall even meet again.” Salt called out to the voice, but the only answer was his own echo. The shaman had only told him that he must discover what was necessary to save the tribe, nothing more.

The cave held no more secrets, so Salt headed to the exit and looked upon the canyon. Despite being well past sunset, the chief could see as if it was day! To his left he saw bizarre apparitions: a giant clock smashed to pieces, tar sucking a White Leg in, a bull goring a bear, and things he could not comprehend or describe. To his right, the end of the canyon had a faint yellow-orange glow. The chief ignored the madness to his left and headed toward the light. His headache grew stronger with each step, making it harder and harder to think.

As he reached the end, the canyon widened out into a bowl with a few bushes and scraggly trees dotted throughout. At its center was the beast, aflame with the fire that gave off no heat. The voice now came from the beast, saying, “It is good to see you again. You have changed much since we last met.”

Salt’s headache was now so painful he could do little more than eye the Yao Guai and grunt in response. “You should be grateful, I have given you visions of the future. You shall initially lead your tribe to greatness, but you shall be defeated and forced to watch their deaths. Even as your people are subjugated and starve, the rest of the world shall descend into war, the likes of which has not been seen in two hundred years,” the voice gloated. Salt’s headache was so painful he had barely understood the voice. Instead, he charged the beast, determined to slay it once again.

Salt’s only weapon was his trusted power fist, a pre-war pneumatic gauntlet that amplified the damage of the user’s punches. This weapon had slain many a man and made Salt-Upon-Wounds the undisputed master of southwestern Utah. The chief was relying on it to help him win the day once more.

Fj5hxpY.jpg

As Salt charged the beast, it let out a deafening roar and reared up on its hind legs. The beast lashed out at him, but he ducked the flesh-tearing claws and punched the beast’s left leg. As his fist met flesh, the pneumatics drove a ram forward with bone-crushing force and produced a satisfying crunch when it made contact. The beast let out a roar as the bone broke and collapsed as the leg could no longer bear the weight. On the way down, the beast knocked Salt off his feet. As he began to get up, the beast was on top of him, snapping its jaws just short of his face. Even as the beast’s claws dug into his leg, Salt punched its face, knocking it on its side.

The beast’s jaw was broken with teeth scattered across the ground while its rear leg was a tangled mess as bone jutted through the skin. The flames had died down to flickering embers, and the beast drew breaths in short, ragged gasps. The voice suddenly returned, gasping, “It is destiny, great chief. We are doomed to be locked in combat until the end of days. I have given you a glimpse of the future, and your world shall fall apart. At your lowest point, I shall be waiting for you…” With that, the beast drew one final breath.

Oq8oSNW.png

Salt removed the head and paws of the beast before mounting the head at the end of the canyon as a warning of the evil spirits within. He then returned to his tribe and was hailed as a hero. Salt-Upon-Wounds was uncertain what his experience meant, and the shaman did not know either. Perhaps the tribe was in more danger than Salt had ever imagined, or perhaps the spirit had just been tormenting him and lied about the future. The great chief was troubled, so he turned to his people’s gods for guidance and salvation…

p9rNYMf.png

Note: Well here's part 2! Another fun vision quest, and hopefully you don't mind it being similar to part 1. I promise this is the last vision quest, and events should really start moving now!

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I didn't mind it being similar. It was different enough with the visions of the future and the Beast's dialogue.

Looking forward to the next part and how Salt-Upon-Wounds deals with this experience.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I didn't mind it being similar. It was different enough with the visions of the future and the Beast's dialogue.
That's what I was going for, so I'm glad it worked!

Looking forward to the next part and how Salt-Upon-Wounds deals with this experience.
Thanks for the comment! Interpreting a vision is the hard part, and there's always the possibility of a mistake...

• 1Like
Reactions:
I adore Fallout New Vegas, being probably my favorite game ever, so I'm really excited to see this AAR unfold
There are at least two of us on here! I'm really glad to have you following along, so thanks for commenting!

I know literally nothing about the Hearts of Iron series, but the premise alone makes me want to read it as it merges two of my favorite things, New Vegas and grand strategy games :D
I'm going to focus heavily on the story, so I don't think the Hearts of Iron aspect will take away from your enjoyment. I really appreciate any feedback as this moves along, and thanks again for checking it out!

• 2Like
Reactions:
All very psychedelic and foreboding! Well related. Hopefully the information gained will be of use, though oracular visions usually end up being pretty dangerous and the dooms self-fulfilling! :eek:

• 2Like
Reactions:
Part 3: Meeting the Bull
Meeting the Bull

Jump motioned to the rest of her scavenging party to join her. The group was approaching the burnt out remains of a farm. The house was completely gone, but its cement basement poked out of the weeds that had grown over it. A barn, once painted red but now faded, was about one hundred feet from the remains of the house and was still standing somehow. Jump’s loyal companion, Kip, darted ahead into the barn and disappeared. Jump decided to follow the dog as the rest of the party combed through the remains of the house.

8CPy8xo.jpg

She heard moaning as she approached the barn, causing her to jump. However, she quickly realized it was just the wind blowing through the remains of the barn. Many of the tribe’s members were terrified to venture into the ruins of the Old World, convinced they were haunted by the ghosts of the Harrowing. They would have been quaking in fear from the moaning of the wind, but Jump had always been clever and curious.

Salt-Upon-Wounds had recognized her gifts and made her a scout and scavenger. She had served her people for two years and discovered numerous trinkets and tools of the Old World. However, the chief had begun organizing much larger, more complicated scavenging efforts tasked with finding strange new technologies to help the tribe. Jump had been honored to be part of the first expedition, one of only fifty tribesmen trusted with such an important job.

V2RzxoK.png

However, Jump’s party was given one of the least glamorous tasks as they dug through the remains of farms on the outskirts of a city. The bulk of the group had gone into the city itself in search of the real treasures. Regardless, the scout was pleased to be exploring and hoped to prove herself.

The young woman ducked into the barn and waited for her eyes to adjust to the darkness. She saw Kip digging at something in the corner when he suddenly came trotting over with something in his mouth, wagging his tail.

“Come, boy. Now sit,” she ordered. “Drop,” as she motioned for Kip to drop whatever was in his mouth. She bent down to pick up what he had found and was surprised to see a fingerbone wearing a golden ring. She ran to the corner and began clawing at the dirt. Kip dashed over and joined her, excited by the new game they were playing. As they unearthed more and more of a human skeleton, Jump felt her fingers hit something hard and metallic.

She worked her way around the edge of it and found it was about five feet long and 8 inches wide. There was a latch on one of the long sides and hinges on the other side. Kip started digging at the container, and the two eventually uncovered the entire thing. As Jump pulled it up from the dirt, she wondered what marvelous technology was inside.

She attempted to lift the lid, but there seemed to be some sort of lock on it. She tried to pry it open with the tip of her spear but only succeeded in breaking the point off. She then found a rock and tried to smash the container but could not make a dent. As she let out a sign, Kip came up again, wagging his tail as he chewed on the fingerbone and ring.

Jump sat defeated for several moments before she realized the ring was the key and unlatched the container. As she lifted the lid, she heard a vacuum seal break and two-hundred-year-old air rushed out. Inside was a pristine lever action rifle, several dozen rounds of ammo, and a full maintenance kit. The gun’s receiver had been engraved with beautiful floral patterns, entrancing Jump in their intricacy and beauty. Such a gun was nearly unheard of among the White Legs and Jump silently praised the gods for her good fortune.

Her reverie was broken as one of the other scavengers called out, “Halt, this is White Legs’ territory, Outman!” Jump emerged from the barn and saw one of the strangest men she had ever seen. His head was covered by a wreath of feathers while his face was concealed by a bandana and goggles. Most strangely, the man was wearing a skirt but carried himself as a warrior. He said something in a strange language and nine more similarly dressed men appeared. One of them carried a flag emblazoned with a golden bull on a red background.

K9Z5jmA.png

The first man stepped forward and said, “I am Decanus Cornelius, an officer in the service of the mighty Caesar (Note: pronounced kai-zar), conqueror of numerous tribes, Son of Mars, and founder of the Legion. I come bearing a message for your great chief, Salt-Upon-Wounds.” He then reached into a pouch and withdrew a silver coin. “My lord would like to present your people with a gift and make a request.”

dmsfWM1.png

Echo, one of Jump’s companions, stepped forward and accepted the coin. “Follow us Outman, but do not cross us or you shall taste the sting of our spears!” Jump and her scavenging party escorted these strangers back to Salt-Upon-Wounds’ camp and left Cornelius to meet the chief.

P2Nl8dr.png

Salt did not share the details of the meeting, but the rest of the tribe soon learned that Caesar and his Legion had offered to train the White Legs in battle in exchange for carrying out his will in Utah. Caesar’s emissary had promised the White Legs they would find meaning in service to the Legion, earn numerous glories, and secure their future against the encroaching dangers. Salt-Upon-Wounds was intrigued by the promise of a powerful ally, but he did not want his tribe to lose itself to Caesar. An important decision had just been made, but Salt could not convince himself it had been the right one…

Notes: I suspect everyone will recognize the Legion's inspiration, but I hope to expand on their society as the tribe is exposed to it. Events are starting to pick up in the wasteland, and the tribe will slowly have to change...

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
All very psychedelic and foreboding! Well related. Hopefully the information gained will be of use, though oracular visions usually end up being pretty dangerous and the dooms self-fulfilling! :eek:
Thanks for commenting! Visions are always hard to judge as you've mentioned, but now they'll be nagging at the back of Salt's mind...

Next update just went up, so I suppose that was convenient timing :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
These "Allies" cannot be trusted. The tribe has no time for outsiders.

• 3Like
Reactions:
These "Allies" cannot be trusted. The tribe has no time for outsiders.
I take it you're not a big fan of the Legion? They're going to be a fairly large part of this story, so I hope that doesn't bother you too much.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I take it you're not a big fan of the Legion? They're going to be a fairly large part of this story, so I hope that doesn't bother you too much.
No, it won't bother me. I was just joking. :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions: