• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is absolutely enthralling and I’m also impressed by the mechanics of the mod — it’s a wonder what people can do with the base HoI4 engine. I’m only peripherally familiar with Fallout so I had to make a trip to the wikis for both it and Old World Blues to figure out exactly what was going on, but the narrative of the White Legs is amazing. I’m guessing that the Whitelegs are the equivalent of a base-game minor nation? They don’t even have their own page on the Old World Blues mod wiki so I assume they’re not a major power. I absolutely love it when people take minor powers and make them a regional or even global powerhouse.

Do the Whitelegs have the equivalent of a Generic Focus Tree? The flavor text appears to be pretty non-specific.

Also, I can’t seem to figure out on the wiki how exactly manpower and division design works. On the war screen you had 8,000 fielded manpower in 29 divisions which implies 300 or so manpower per “division” or warband, which fits excellently with the individual-focused narrative you’re giving us where the heroism of a single individual or group of individuals can determine the outcome of a battle. I presume they’ve worked the equipment system somewhat though — in the base game one INF equipment represents 10 individual firearms (so a division of 10,000 requires 1,000 equipment). The 5,000 weapons you got from Spanish Fork would be enough to equip 50,000 men in the base game, so I’m guessing they made it so that 1 equipment = 1 gun.

I appreciate the map views you sprinkle in — just enough to give us a visual of what’s going on in the grand scheme without taking us out of the narrative.

Finally, sorry to hear you got Covid man that sucks. Hope you’re feeling better and don’t push yourself too hard!

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is absolutely enthralling and I’m also impressed by the mechanics of the mod — it’s a wonder what people can do with the base HoI4 engine.
It really is an amazing mod, and I'm not even showing off the best countries they've done. Some of the focus trees are so complex I haven't even considered playing them!

I’m only peripherally familiar with Fallout so I had to make a trip to the wikis for both it and Old World Blues to figure out exactly what was going on, but the narrative of the White Legs is amazing. I’m guessing that the Whitelegs are the equivalent of a base-game minor nation?
Wow, thanks for checking out the AAR, and I'm glad you're really enjoying it! I'd say the White Legs are kind of like Hungary or Romania in the base game where they are big enough to be involved in events, but they won't be carrying a war single-handedly, and they usually end up as the sidekick of the main player (Legion is basically Germany in this mod).

In Fallout, they only show up in one DLC and are basically generic bad guys, so a lot of this is stuff I or the mod have fleshed out. I really like the post-war tribal aesthetic, and it's been a lot of fun to write about.

Do the Whitelegs have the equivalent of a Generic Focus Tree? The flavor text appears to be pretty non-specific.
They do have a unique focus tree, although I suspect it was made pretty early in the mod's development since it isn't as good as some of the major or newer countries.

Also, I can’t seem to figure out on the wiki how exactly manpower and division design works. On the war screen you had 8,000 fielded manpower in 29 divisions which implies 300 or so manpower per “division” or warband, which fits excellently with the individual-focused narrative you’re giving us where the heroism of a single individual or group of individuals can determine the outcome of a battle.
You're right that most of the warbands are around 300 soldiers, which I think really helps fit with the style of the game as you mentioned.

I presume they’ve worked the equipment system somewhat though — in the base game one INF equipment represents 10 individual firearms (so a division of 10,000 requires 1,000 equipment). The 5,000 weapons you got from Spanish Fork would be enough to equip 50,000 men in the base game, so I’m guessing they made it so that 1 equipment = 1 gun.
I believe 1 equipment = 1 gun, although things can be a little fuzzier on the generic support equipment. I think a support unit requires ~10 equipment, while the special equipment like machine guns, dogs, AT rifles are usually between 10 and 25. I don't remember if these correlate to 1 manpower or not, but it's got to be really close if not.

I do think production is a bit too easy in the mod since I have way more equipment than I can equip my men with. If I were to change the mod, I would probably decrease the White Legs' industry so they'd be forced to use more captured equipment and primitive weapons until the Spanish Fork event fires.

I appreciate the map views you sprinkle in — just enough to give us a visual of what’s going on in the grand scheme without taking us out of the narrative.
I'm glad it's striking the right balance. It can be hard to develop the characters without totally abandoning the game, but I think this mod really does help with the narrative. The focus trees are almost choose-your-own-adventure, which gives structure to the story while the game decides how events should end and throws a few surprises in!

Finally, sorry to hear you got Covid man that sucks. Hope you’re feeling better and don’t push yourself too hard!
I'm feeling pretty good now, just have a runny nose still. I'm just glad it was omicron and not delta!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any new updates?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any new updates?
I'm getting close. Possibly tomorrow but maybe not until Friday. I'm not going to be holding to a regular update schedule for the foreseeable future since I've used up everything I had written ahead of time and haven't had a chance to build up more. I'll try to keep this thing moving along, but I don't want to make any guarantees I can't keep. Thanks for reading along though, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Take your time Rusty, this is something you do for free in your own time. The fact that you’re awesome at it doesn’t give us any right to hurry you

• 1Like
Reactions:
Part 19: Changing Times
Changing Times

Jump squinted as early morning light warmed her face, waking her. She tried to sit up and immediately regretted the decision as she felt the massive lump on her head. She let out a groan as she laid back in the bed of furs, taking in the roof of the ragged tent she found herself in.

“Glad to see you awake, you had me worried,” Albert said, piercing the morning quiet. He leaned over Jump and adjusted the bandage on her head. “You’ve been out cold all night.”

“Where am I? Where is Kip?” Jump asked, urgency creeping into her voice.

“We’re at your people’s camp,” Albert said and then paused, his face taking on a pained expression. “I’m sorry about Kip, he didn’t make it through the night. I tried to tend to him, but I had to take care of you first. I was too late, and I’m sorry.”

The scout was speechless, but Albert could see the grief in her eyes. He knelt beside her as her body began to shake and placed his hand on her shoulder. After a few moments, Jump could not control herself anymore, and her body was wracked by sobs. Albert held her shoulder reassuringly, doing the best he could to comfort her.

Eventually Jump’s sobs began to subside, and she dried her eyes. “Can I see him?” she asked, desperation in her eyes.

“Yes, child. He’s in the camp. I thought you would want to pay your last respects.” Albert helped Jump stand up and steadied her as her vision blurred and head swam. Once she had her balance, he asked, “Can you walk now? I’ll be right beside you.” The scout nodded curtly and led the way from the tent.

It was no longer dawn, and the camp was bustling with White Legs carrying out their duties. As Albert guided her, Jump could not help but notice the people that pointed and stared, others whispering among themselves as she passed. She had to lean heavily on the Old One, uncertain of her balance, but the pair steadily made their way to the edge of the camp where Kip’s body rested.

He was wrapped in an ornate hide, beaded with patterns of paw prints. Only his head stuck out from the shroud, concealing his grievous wound. Jump knelt beside her loyal companion and cradled his head in her arms, deeply lost in thought. Albert could not help but be touched by the relationship Jump had with her dog, and it reminded him of the fundamental goodness he had seen in the White Legs. The events of Jericho became much clearer in that moment; he had been the root of the evil, not the White Legs. Albert’s people had destroyed the world, and he had given the White Legs a taste of that power without any hesitation. How could they know when one older and supposedly wiser than them had seen no issue?

As Jump prayed over her fallen companion, Albert made his own vow within his heart. No longer would he try to teach the White Legs; his way had led them to unspeakable evils. Instead, he would learn from them.

As Jump rose, cradling Kip in her arms, she headed to the funeral pyre that had been built by her tribesmen. She gently laid the dog atop the wood, and a White Leg approached bearing a torch. Jump lit the pyre and watched as the flames licked at Kip’s body, helping his spirit run forevermore on the wind.

As the ceremony ended, Jump returned to her mentor and took his arm once more. Before she could say anything, Albert hesitatingly attempted to speak in the White Legs’ tongue, saying, “I’d like learn your language. You know mine, now you teach me.” Jump’s face lit up as she let out a laugh, concerning Albert. “What, did I say something wrong?!” he demanded.

Jump could barely gather her breath she was laughing so hard, but finally gained control of herself. “You just said you wanted to taste me! Maybe you are a monster!” she teased.

Albert laughed at his mistake before replying, “See, I need your help to learn!” With that, the pair made their way back to camp, picking up as if they had never been apart. Things were different, but their friendship had grown back stronger than before.

Cornelius looked down on the bodies of his slain legionaries with disgust and outrage. The savages had left them to rot in the dust, disrespecting loyal servants of Caesar. One bore a crude slashing wound to the back, while the other had been shot and mauled by a dog. The combination of wounds in the heart of White Legs’ territory gave a clear indication of who was at fault, but the white paint coating the slain men's hands erased all doubt.

Cornelius had returned to the Utah to collect further tribute from the White Legs, but the murder of his men was just the latest disaster. First, the frumentarius had disappeared into the wastes without a trace, leaving the White Legs without Caesar’s steady hand to guide them. Salt had become sullen and disrespectful, arrogant from his victories, and no legionary had been there to put the savage in his place; Cornelius planned to rectify that mistake.

Cornelius and his remaining contubernium made their way back to the camp, bearing their fallen comrades. The group followed their leader to the tent of Salt-Upon-Wounds. As they made their way through the camp, the legionaries were wary of the tribals they passed. None would meet their gaze, and they all seemed to know the crime that had been committed. Only the Legion’s iron discipline had kept the men from taking their revenge, but Cornelius knew he could not contain their rage for long.

As Cornelius and his followers reached Salt’s tent, they were halted by the tribal sentries, bearing looted storm drums. One of Cornelius’ men tightened his grip on his rifle, but the decanus subtly calmed him. “I have come to see your chief. I demand he hear my complaints,” Cornelius sternly commanded the sentries.

Before the sentries could reply, Salt-Upon-Wounds emerged from the tent, inscrutable beneath his mask. Cornelius eyed the chief, taking note of the new scar along his arm. Otherwise, the chief remained unchanged, still as savage as the day they parted. The chief said nothing to the legionaries, enraging Cornelius.

The decanus motioned to his men, and they laid their fallen comrades before Salt. “The Legion demands compensation. Pay and be grateful we don’t ask for more!” Cornelius exclaimed.

“No,” Salt replied. “White Leg women are not your slaves, and your men learned that lesson.”

“So you know what happened?! I demand justice!” Cornelius blurted, outraged by the savage’s insolence.

“It is White Leg justice. Be happy we did not kill all the Legion dogs infesting our camp!” Salt sneered in reply.

“You dare seek the wrath of Caesar? The Son of Mars shall rain destruction down upon you if you do not repent!”

“Mars has no power here, and we are no longer afraid of his Son. The White Legs are strong and will not be bullied. Justice was done, and your threats change nothing. Now be gone from our camp!”

“You savages!” Cornelius exclaimed as he moved to draw his rifle. However, Salt was like a blur, grabbing Cornelius by his tunic and forcing the rifle from his hands.

“You lucky we honor the guest rite. Go, before I change my mind,” Salt growled. Cornelius saw his terrified reflection in Salt’s lifeless mask; it had finally dawned on him that his life was in danger.

After the slightest nod of assent from the beleaguered decanus, Salt released him. “We shall go, but Caesar will hear of this outrage!” Cornelius replied as he led his men away in a hurry.

“Do not worry. Slaves and tribute will flow but carried by White Legs now. No Legion shall walk our lands,” Salt replied. Cornelius muttered a reply and led his men from Indian Peak, trying to maintain a dignified walk until they were out of sight. Salt kept his expressionless gaze upon them, contemplating what the Legion would do when they received word of this insult. It would be some months until they received a reply, but Salt was certain it could not be good…

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
At long last, the legion is shown their place.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ceasar Salad may rage at this, but it shall do him little good. He may have the strength of Legions (pun intended) but the White Leg’s have an old guy and a girl whose dog was murdered. The terrible Roman Cosplay Empire stands no chance.

• 2Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Knowledge is neither good nor evil. It is only how it is used. You may have to retitle as the White Legs have advanced beyond being basic tribesmen and is able to defend against the mighty Legion. Thank you for the update

• 2Like
Reactions:
As ever the relationship between Jump and Albert is my personal highlight of the story, and I'm very interested to see where this embrace of "noble primitivism" will lead the old ghoul. It was also refreshing to see Salt turn his horrifyingly confident presence towards a more... benign goal? Constructive one?
Ceasar Salad may rage at this, but it shall do him little good. He may have the strength of Legions (pun intended) but the White Leg’s have an old guy and a girl whose dog was murdered. The terrible Roman Cosplay Empire stands no chance.
Honestly, considering this is the Fallout Universe, that is indeed all the White Legs might need to tip the scales!

• 3Like
Reactions:
At long last, the legion is shown their place.
I thought people might enjoy seeing that. It's been well-deserved and a long time coming.

The terrible Roman Cosplay Empire stands no chance.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but the White Legs have finally stood up to them. Kind of. Question is, what will the Legion decide to do?

Also, in-game, the White Legs would get absolutely smashed by the Legion. In the version of the mod I've been playing, the Legion gets a ridiculous amount of buffs to their unit stats. They're also way bigger than me, just to make things worse.

You may have to retitle as the White Legs have advanced beyond being basic tribesmen and is able to defend against the mighty Legion.
I honestly was never sold on the title, but it's grown on me since I've been trying to look at what is savage in this AAR. I don't really know what I think of the White Legs, but I think they're not just irredeemable savages.

As ever the relationship between Jump and Albert is my personal highlight of the story, and I'm very interested to see where this embrace of "noble primitivism" will lead the old ghoul.
I'm glad you've enjoyed their relationship still! Most people in universe saw the White Legs as barbaric savages, while Albert started out viewing them as 'noble savages', which is well intentioned but not wholly accurate. I figured his relationship with Jump would help him develop a more nuanced view, and I hope to flesh that out some more.

It was also refreshing to see Salt turn his horrifyingly confident presence towards a more... benign goal? Constructive one?
This is probably the first good thing he's done in my story, although that's all relative just because the Legion is so awful. Don't expect a total change though, he's just decided Legion interests weren't aligning with White Leg interests and fixed that.

Honestly, considering this is the Fallout Universe, that is indeed all the White Legs might need to tip the scales!
Very true! There's a long tradition of lone heroes changing the world.

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Part 20: The Exiles
The Exiles

Daniel sighed as he watched the latest disheveled band of refugees make their way through the winding canyons of the Sorrows’ village. They were covered in dust, and almost no one was unwounded. Their haunted, dull eyes barely seemed to register the Sorrows rushing to aid them, and it seemed all they could do to maintain the trudging march to safety. Safety for now, but Daniel did not know how long the New Canaanites’ exile would last.

3NH4rSK.png

The Sorrows’ home in Zion was a veritable paradise, an Eden in the ruins of the wasteland. The tribe was kind, innocent, and had welcomed Daniel and his people into their midst. Daniel appreciated their goodwill, but he was increasingly afraid the New Canaanites were pulling the tribe into something bigger. White Legs had not entered the valley yet, but that was likely due to the Dead Horses and Joshua. War was coming, and Daniel was not sure that he could save the Sorrows.

Joshua collapsed beside the cookfire without a word. One of the Disciples ladled the broth into a crude wooden bowl and handed it to him. “Good hunting?”

Joshua paused for a moment before responding, “We caught one of their raiding parties trying to enter the valley. They didn’t last long.”

The heavily tattooed warrior smiled at the news. “You lead Dead Horses well, Joshua. Leave some White Legs for us though!” The other warriors began to laugh and echoed their companions demand, while Joshua contented himself with his meal. He humored them, but his mind was not truly in the conversation. Even while he was awake, his mind dreamt of New Canaan in flames. He could feel the rage of the Malpais Legate building, but this time it was for a good cause. I don’t enjoy killing, but when done righteously, it’s just a chore, like any other, he thought. Daniel might not agree with that sentiment, but he had not seen the White Legs’ brutality firsthand…

EfTKnjo.png

Great Tree was anxious as he was led into the White Legs’ camp. He was painfully aware of the spearpoint at his back, ensuring his compliance. The White Leg seemed eager to impale him, and one wrong move was all it would take to set the tribal off. As the party made its way through the camp, they were greeted by the jeers of the White Legs. Even the children hurled insults at the Legion emissaries, and he could only wonder at the hate they held.

pASbpFg.png

After a short climb up the peak, they were finally free of the chaotic mass of the camp and came before the great tent of the chieftain. Salt-Upon-Wounds’ had gained a reputation for his savagery, and no legionary had envied Great Tree’s assignment to negotiate with the brute. Several paces from the entrance to the tent, one of the sentries placed his spear across the legionaries’ path, bringing them to a halt. A moment later, Salt-Upon-Wounds emerged from his tent and approached. He glanced at the newcomers before turning to one of his warriors and asking, “Why are there Legion dogs in my camp? I thought we had run them all out?”

Before the tribal could answer, Great Tree stepped forward and unveiled the head of Cornelius. “The mighty Caesar judged his actions and sent me to make amends. Caesar respects your people’s strength and independence and apologizes.” With this pronouncement, one of the other emissaries presented a sack of silver coins bearing Caesar’s likeness. “The rest of the payment for Cornelius’ wrongs against you, great chief,” Great Tree continued as he bowed slightly.

Salt seemed lost in thought for a few moments, and he seemed fixated on Cornelius’ head. Finally, he replied, “I would have liked to end the man myself, but Caesar’s justice is enough. You know White Legs are not for sale though.”

“I would think no such thing! It is but payment for crimes committed against your people. Caesar considers the White Legs friends of the Legion and would like nothing less than to see your people grow strong.”

“If that so, you are free to leave my camp,” Salt growled as he turned his back. “White Legs are satisfied. Run and tell your master you done well,” Salt continued contemptuously as he entered his tent.

“Great chief!” Great Tree exclaimed. “There is more Caesar bid me tell you!” Salt gestured to his guards, and they led the legionary into the tent after their chief. The other legionaries stood awkwardly, unsure of the numerous warriors around them.

Salt took a seat cross-legged and gestured for Great Tree to sit across from him. After the legionary was seated, Salt asked, “What more did Caesar want?”

“First, he thanks you for your efforts against New Canaan. With them all but destroyed, Caesar’s flank is secure. In reward, Caesar would make you First Friend and an equal ally of the Legion. He knows of your ambitions in the Utah and encourages them. All he asks is that our peoples become friends and work against those who oppose us, including the remaining New Canaanites.”

KhuxujA.png

“What would White Legs gain?” Salt asked. “We are strong in new lands, and do not need Caesar’s help.”

“You would gain a mighty ally. Even now, Caesar and his Legion cross the Colorado River and make war on the Bear of NCR. The profligates were slaughtered at Cottonwood Cove, Camp Searchlight, and the Dam. Their war chief and high chief are both dead, and their armies run before Mars’ wrath!”

Salt’s gut urged him to turn the Legion down. While they had helped the White Legs at one point, they had been nothing but trouble lately. However, Salt could only think of his vision while facing down the Beast. He clearly remembered a bull goring a bear, and Great Tree’s boasting seemed to fit the vision. While the Beast had tried to deceive Salt, there was no sign the visions had ever been false. “White Legs shall ally with the Legion. But do not think we are weak,” Salt replied. “Our spears are sharp, and we will not be fools. The New Canaanites will be destroyed, I promise that.” And so, the White Legs and Legion were joined together once more…

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
United again, but this time as equals.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Equal may be the company line, but I am sure that Caesar views the White Legs as very junior partners. Loved the look at New Canaan. I do not know your southern Utah climate, but without modern irrigation a hunter society could be needed for survival. Thank you for the update

• 2Like
Reactions:
United again, but this time as equals.
Well, at least the trappings of equals.

Equal may be the company line, but I am sure that Caesar views the White Legs as very junior partners.
That is very correct. I'm glad Caesar's manipulative behavior came across in the update.

I do not know your southern Utah climate, but without modern irrigation a hunter society could be needed for survival.
Very much so. Zion Valley is considered lush in Fallout because it was largely spared the effects of nuclear war and was largely untouched by humans since then. It's still harsher than places we would consider lush, but it is a nice place relative to the American southwest. And I agree that hunter-gatherers are pretty much necessary to survive in the area.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great AAR, @RustyHunter!

I like how you managed to humanize the White Legs, showing that there are lines even they wont cross (which, in turn, really makes Sallows LARP rather shallow). Have you had the "Laws of Salt" event yet?

You also inspired me to try out the mod, despite how much I hate HoI4. I think I will do a dual Hecate-Diana AAR once I find the time, their story is pretty well fleshed out.

What does the greater world look like? Who holds the Dam? Where is Lanius? Et tumor, Brute?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks for reading the AAR, and I'm really glad you're enjoying it!

I like how you managed to humanize the White Legs, showing that there are lines even they wont cross (which, in turn, really makes Sallows LARP rather shallow). Have you had the "Laws of Salt" event yet?
I think it's important to show they're a real society, and I'm glad it's coming off well. I don't think that event has fired yet. At least, I don't remember it or have a screenshot.

You also inspired me to try out the mod, despite how much I hate HoI4. I think I will do a dual Hecate-Diana AAR once I find the time, their story is pretty well fleshed out.
I'm not crazy about HOI4, but the mod really helps things. Hecate-Diana would be a really interesting AAR both narrative and gameplay wise. I look forward to seeing it!

What does the greater world look like? Who holds the Dam? Where is Lanius? Et tumor, Brute?
Caesar has just taken the Dam, and Lanius joined the Legion after all his conquering in the east. From what I can tell, the Legion is way stronger than NCR in this version, so they're making good progress so far. I think Caesar is fine, but I have no idea what triggers the event for him.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Damn you Rusty! I've tried to hold it off, but I'll have to buy New Vegas again now!

An excellent update. I really love the snippets of the various "enemy" camps

• 2Like
Reactions: