• We will be taking the forums down for scheduled maintenance on 12 August 2020 at approximately 3PM CDT (8PM UTC / 10PM CEST), this downtime is currently estimated to last around 1 hour.
  • Pre order now!

Paradox Development Studio brings you the sequel to one of the most popular strategy games ever made! Crusader Kings III is soon upon us and you can pre order it today!

Releasing September 1st 2020

Seli

Pining for a past that never was
112 Badges
May 13, 2002
  • Diplomacy
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Deus Vult
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
Thanks for the thread Stuckenschmidt, it gives a nice insight in the game.

Stuckenschmidt

Deus Vult
43 Badges
Jun 25, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • BATTLETECH
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
Four weeks in Salem - AAR

Yes, almost a month has passed since my arrival in the New World and so far it was mostly nice. I`ve got 26 skills unlocked, the average proficiency has increased from 5 to 10.2 and the average humor from 5 to 7.75. I got a hovel, a nice field and can go fishing. So the basics are there.

This week I made my first experiences with farming. Basically it is very simple. Till a field, put out the seed, wait three or four days, bring in the harvest, thresh part of the harvest to gain new seed. Go back to start. BUT if you want to get some better results, you seriously have to deal with crop rotation, proper fertilizers and purity. I could explain it all, but it is surely better to read the appropriate Wiki article. All I am saying right now is, that it is not much work, but opens possibilities. And I`d like to point out, that the Large Humus Collider (aka Compost)could spawn Earthworms at a slightly higher rate.

I have to come back to this snake thing. Because it sucks. Encountering a snake equals knockout, UNLESS you have the rare luck to escape it before it bites and poisons you. Not very likely to happen. Why is this bad. Knockout means, that you are returning to your homestead with empty inventory. So far, so good. BUT you also lose two random proficiency levels. One could argue, that this is part of the plan to throw the player into a harsh world. In my book, this is simply harassment and gets one deeper into grinding treadmill.

Plus I have learned the last two weeks, that Salem is indeed a Sandbox. Besides the fact, that there is no story and one has to motivate oneself, there is also the danger to lose focus. So one has to make short-term goals one can work toward. My next goal is to increase my humors more and then, since I finally got the "Backalley Pugilism" skill, go hunting. Rabbits beware.

Stuckenschmidt

Deus Vult
43 Badges
Jun 25, 2004
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
BUG REPORT:

According to Salem Wiki I can wash Charred Milkweed Fibre in a bucket full of water by right-clicking on said bucket. Does not work. Neither when the bucket is in the inventory, nor when it stands around in the landscape.

Plus I got a swim bladder from a fish, although I do not have the skill "Field Dressing".

Last edited:

unmerged(376826)

General
Demi Moderator
1 Badges
Sep 12, 2011
  • Sword of the Stars
Love the thread so far. It's a great read. I don't think the devs keep track here much, so you might want to log into the Salem forums at salemthegame.com and post the bugs there or post them on the bug tracker: http://www.seatribe.se/bt/

Stuckenschmidt

Deus Vult
43 Badges
Jun 25, 2004
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
Five weeks in Salem - AAR

You probably don`t know, since it is not really important for the narrative, that I like meat. Not every day, of course, but a life without meat would be kinda bland. And during the first four weeks in Salem my nutritional protocol consisted of mushrooms, fish, more mushrooms, fish and even more mushrooms. Don`t get me wrong. Mushrooms and fish are nice, but it was high time for something fleshy.

Along pop the rabbits. Another thing you probably don`t know is, that I`m a complete city kid. I love to be outdoors in nature, but at the end of the day I don`t have the slightest clue about animals. MY idea of hunting rabbits was to simply run after them, grab them in the neck and then cut their throats. Nice idea. Unfortunately the rabbits don`t let you come too close. Sounds logic, since we are large and stuff. So what to do? Answer: Make them angry.

Ferocious Rabbit in attack position​

Yes, we have to annoy the rabbit. The comic inside me thought immediately of "Confuse the cat" from Monty Python. But that`s of course nonsense. We have to build a slingshot. You did not really think it would be enough to avoid the grind and simply throw stones at Roger Rabbit, did you? Long story short, I built a slingshot, collected a few stones and went hunting.

The amazing thing about a slingshot is, that it can`t hit a barn from more than five yards away. The same goes for rabbits. The accuracy is horrible and soon you run out of stones. Now one could ask oneself: "Where do all the stones go when I miss with them?". Answer: They vanish in the void. Considering, that Salem goes deep into detail, this is weird, since they should simply be on the ground a few yards away. Another thing, that crosses the line from "detailed world" to "player harassment".

But back to combat. When you hit the animal, a blood-thirsty Rabbit is coming your way, and the best way to counter that is an uppercut. This made me chuckle. For an uppercut, as the name reveals, is an upward hit aimed at the opponent`s chin. Now imagine a rabbit. Even if it stands upright on its hind paws, one would have to lie in front of it for a proper uppercut. The first one who posts an appropriate video (please don`t really hit the rabbit) on Youtube is my personal hero.

All in all: Hunting is linked to a bit quirkiness and grind. A bit more streamlining would have been better. And now let`s go for my first New World BBQ. Yummy.

Last edited:

Stuckenschmidt

Deus Vult
43 Badges
Jun 25, 2004
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
Love the thread so far. It's a great read. I don't think the devs keep track here much, so you might want to log into the Salem forums at salemthegame.com and post the bugs there or post them on the bug tracker: http://www.seatribe.se/bt/
To be perfectly frank: I avoid the other forum. For good reasons. This thread shows the inherent flaws of the general game concept. Open PVP equals "Independent" players getting gangbanged by Clans. This fabulous Tribe Chief would get permabanned for Trolling and being a dick, if that would be my forum. And as soon as someone deems my farm important enough to extort me, the game and me will go separate ways.

Stuckenschmidt

Deus Vult
43 Badges
Jun 25, 2004
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
That`s what I`ll do with my first two rabbit skins

Stuckenschmidt

Deus Vult
43 Badges
Jun 25, 2004
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
Six weeks in Salem – Final AAR​

Waitwaitwait. Final AAR? Well, yeah, kind of. See, the weather is getting definitely better these days. And hey, six weeks in a row in the same MMO is pretty good considering my casualness. I know, shaming nevertheless.

Be it as it may, the last week I have spend to gain a proficiency level here and there and learned three more skills (Cabbage growing, Pottery, Tanning). These skills were a bit unsatisfactory. Of course I did harvest my first cabbage and made cabbage rolls (yummy). But Pottery and Tanning did not open new activities at the moment, since I need a Kiln for the former and the skill Big Game Hunting for the latter, so all in all nothing really new these days.

Time for a summary:

First of all I have to say that self-motivation is vital here. And the first two weeks are crucial for every new player. If they make it beyond this point, they will probably stay in Salem. If I were a Dev, I`d think about some early reward for new players to make them stay. There are already too many abandoned lean-to out there.

During the last weeks I have mentioned some flaws in the game (Snakes, path-finding, Snakes, flatten terrain, Snakes, other stuff, Snakes), that make it more complicated than necessary. Nota bene: Complicated, not deep. There IS a difference.

Endgame. That`s something I`ve been thinking about much lately. Someone said that, as soon as you have all skills unlocked, there is not much to do than eating and raiding. Of course I don`t know if there are things in the pipeline I have not heard about yet. And I don`t have experience with the darkness, but I hope there will be some content suitable for all kind of players.

PvP. No experience. Fortunately.

Well, that`s it so far. Most probably I`ll return to the game someday, but not during the next weeks. It was…fun?...yes, sometimes it was fun, sometimes frustrating, sometimes so-so during foraging. All in all it is a okayish game, as long as nothing lethal comes your way. ;)

I hope you enjoyed this AAR a bit and wish all of you the best of luck.

unmerged(480130)

Second Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2012
Nice story/review from a person who didn't play the game in a competitive way. Contrary to the popular belief, a game like this may be played casually and provide a lot of fun, even if your settlement gets destroyed and you have to go look for a new home [which is part of the game AND part of the fun].