Sagan Update is Now Live: Full Patch Notes Here

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

candyalien

Community Manager
20 Badges
May 16, 2017
twitter.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
kQcyc9zpXAHkIiHmJV2Xhm5SypSe5ehDJHnC3idezQYPgSqFj70ByYd5yro3ySByaplwUsHsIMdop4h77Hn82OnWW5ZMdYkvY4elyIXWMc_VC6anPtraJPXf_gSnyU0zkXVSP0rp

New Feature: Challenges

Challenges are a new game mode where you have to accomplish a specific objective within a time limit. Mission parameters, game rules and colony coordinates are predetermined and unique for each challenge. A total of 24 challenges are now available.

Self-sufficient Rovers

Rovers no longer have batteries and there’s no need to recharge roves from Power cables. We reevaluated this mechanic and decided that the amount of micromanagement it required was more tedious than actually presenting a meaningful challenge. We are removing it as part of our initiative to reduce the unnecessary micromanagement in the game and allow the player to focus on more important tasks.

Rover Command AI tech now enables automated mode for Explorers and Transports.

Changes to Concrete Deposits

We have reworked the Concrete Extractor to work more in line with other extractors. Concrete Extractors have to be placed in the vicinity of the concrete deposit marker and no longer take into account the specific patch of terrain they cover. This way concrete deposits can be fully exploited even with a single extractor.

Changes to Maps

Due to the changes in concrete deposits, as well as other fixes to the random map generator, all maps have been generated again and will look different than previous versions. Environmental variety of maps has been improved.

Changes to Research

The randomization of research (both order of techs in the research tree and breakthroughs discovered from anomalies) is now tied to the random seed of the individual map. This means that techs are always the same on the same map but different between different maps. This change allows players to compete for score on even terms on the same map coordinates and to have the same experience with techs when attempting Challenges.

Changes to Messages

Popup messages will now arrive first as blinking notifications, which will pop up after some time has passed. This way popups will not interrupt your current actions like placing or managing buildings. Some important messages will still pop up without a notification.

Controller Support for the Infobar

"Resource Overview" buttons are removed from the HUD for both mouse and controller interfaces. The Infobar can now be navigated using a controller. Rollover highlights have been added to the Infobar in the controller version of the UI.

Balance Changes

• Reduced Mega Trigon Dome construction and maintenance costs

• Trigon Dome now requires Polymers for maintenance

• Dust generated from Building and Rocket sources has been increased

General Fixes and Improvements

• Crystals in “The Philosopher’s Stone” mystery should now work properly

• Resource deposit markers are now aligned to the building grid

• Increased the range in which the Transport Rover looks for Transport Route resources to 25 hexes

• Fixed the sound effect of the Artificial Sun

• Rockets no longer require cargo to be launched towards Mars

• Meteor Storm epicentre now moves during the disaster

• Improved Pipe placement logic, related warnings and cost predictions

• Price of Pipe segments placed over non-buildable or rough terrain is now properly calculated

• Landing Pads are no longer being suspended by disasters

• Deep scanning progress for sectors is now properly reset after surface scanning

• Sub-surface Heater & Mohole Mine are now protected from freezing

• Endless Supply game rule now disables achievements

• Fixed the game not launching on some Linux distributions

• General performance improvements

UI fixes and improvements:

• Dust radii of Extractors and Rockets are now shown on placement and selection

• New auto pin settings in Options > Gameplay, that allow customization of pinned objects

• Key-bindings now properly appear in rollover hints

• Added key-bindings for passages and passage ramps

• Added warning sign over buildings that lack input resources

• Settings for Photo mode are now properly saved

• Added Reset button to Photo mode

• Fix for Photo Mode, which removes black artefacts appearing on some buildings

• Fix for the "Build Menu" shortcut to work as a toggle button instead of only opening the build menu

• Various encyclopedia texts have been updated to reflect Sagan changes

• Added description text for Health lost due to the "Infected" trait

• Reworked the early warning notification for disasters to be more informative
Please note that the Patch Notes for the console version is on the Surviving Mars Console forum :)

Reactions:
Will this patch break existing saves?

Will this patch break existing saves?
From my limited testing it seems to be fine.

They also fixed the missing sounds for the precious extractor.

Edit: Any idea when github repo will be updated?

Last edited:
Ehm, I just received 7! Notifications that this patch was out, maybe that was a little excessive? 1 update would have been fine with me.
You cheater, I only got 5 notifications and now feel neglected! ;))

Does anyone know if the saves made before this update keep the old rules or do they convert to these new parameters? In other words, does the gameplay for games I am already playing reflect the update? Hopefully not since strategies would have to change mid-game.

Self-sufficient Rovers

Rovers no longer have batteries and there’s no need to recharge roves from Power cables. We reevaluated this mechanic and decided that the amount of micromanagement it required was more tedious than actually presenting a meaningful challenge. We are removing it as part of our initiative to reduce the unnecessary micromanagement in the game and allow the player to focus on more important tasks.

Rover Command AI tech now enables automated mode for Explorers and Transports.

Awww. I was all proud of myself for figuring out how to get transport-line rovers to recharge while delivering.

Changes to Research

The randomization of research (both order of techs in the research tree and breakthroughs discovered from anomalies) is now tied to the random seed of the individual map. This means that techs are always the same on the same map but different between different maps. This change allows players to compete for score on even terms on the same map coordinates and to have the same experience with techs when attempting Challenges.

I think I'm going to really dislike this. Please add a "tech randomization" option. Competing for score on a particular map is fine but utterly predictable futures on a map is a big loss.

Awww. I was all proud of myself for figuring out how to get transport-line rovers to recharge while delivering.

I think I'm going to really dislike this. Please add a "tech randomization" option. Competing for score on a particular map is fine but utterly predictable futures on a map is a big loss.

They already have that in the pipe for the next big update.

Seeing that many people are expressing similar concern, we will definitely look into making a game rule that allows randomized technologies, but without the added havoc from the Chaos Theory. This will not make it into Sagan, but hopefully we will have time to do it for the next update. Thanks for your feedback!

edit: I can now confirm that this game rule has been approved and will be done for the next large update.

Seems to have also fixed a minor but annoyingly loud buzz the drones made on the linux platform. Plays as well on Linux as on Windows now, except for the horrible looking cursor.

The Update broke my game's ability to load savegames properly. I started several new games now and the savegames all break past Sol 3. The game loads, the radio plays, I can even hear the buildings beep, but I am otherwisely stuck at the loading screen. Before Sol 3 I can load with no problem at all.

Also, please update the github files.

I am not exactly impressed by Space Communism logo.

Are you going to implement another mass murderous regimes as a joke? I do not know, Nazism or Space ISIS?
Or this is the trophy for number of people killed by the system. In that case Communism is rightfully on the top with 100 million death toll.