• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

UrsaPolaris

Recruit
33 Badges
Apr 7, 2018
  • Surviving Mars
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
I'm irked by the fact that the RC safari vehicle is so limited in its use.
I have a vehicle that is capable of transporting people around,
but I can't get my colonists from one distance (but within safari range) dome to another before I have CO2 Jet propulsion?

side note
Is anyone aware of a mod that gives the RC safari a "bus" option so it can move colonists from dome to dome?

*edit, its use, not it's use.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I'm irked by the fact that the RC safari vehicle is so limited in it's use.
I have a vehicle that is capable of transporting people around,
but I can't get my colonists from one distance (but withing safari range) dome to another before I have CO2 Jet propulsion?

side note
Is anyone aware of a mod that gives the RC safari a "bus" option so it can move colonists from dome to dome?

I am not aware of any mods but I strongly agree with your point.
If you play without tourists (=Last Ark), Safaris have no use at all, which is kinda annoying because sometimes you need them to scan anamolies or whatever.

Before you got at least one shuttle hub from any source your colony also needs to be close to a rare metal deposits else it's very hard to kickstart the colony; especially because colonists are unable to transfer to a dome by using other domes (unless those have houses and you micromanagement them)

Sorry guys but it really isn't anywhere close to being close to a bus, it would take a lot of coding to change what you want.
The pathing system that shuttles use it completely different from rovers and you'd need to find a way to incorporate a rover into it (not easy as they work very very differently), you'd also need to mess around with the colonists behaviours and coding to make them work with it too.

Currently the RC rover doesn't really transport anything. It works like a service building, colonists clip through the walls of the rover, hit the centre and are effectively erased. When the trip is over they are brought back and go back inside. They don't actually move with the RC Safari or anything as far as I know.

You could maybe, maybe try and code it so it behaved like a dome connection so colonists could use it to move, but then you'd need to mess around making sure it was only use for migration and not to share services aswell as provide an adequate delay to them appearing at the other side, it would still be alot of coding.#

Having an asset is the easy part, coding the rest of the stuff is hard and the game isn't perhaps as simplistic as you think.

Don't hold your breath for a mod, it would be a really really big undertaking. I already know of one big Safari overhaul to just try and get the vanilla functionality to work better and it took 50 hours of work to just improve that (it has a really limited range meaning on medium or larger domes many colonists cannot reach it aswell as the Safari 'need' of tourists being not done correctly, these are some of the fixes done).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sorry guys but it really isn't anywhere close to being close to a bus, it would take a lot of coding to change what you want.
The pathing system that shuttles use it completely different from rovers and you'd need to find a way to incorporate a rover into it (not easy as they work very very differently), you'd also need to mess around with the colonists behaviours and coding to make them work with it too.

Currently the RC rover doesn't really transport anything. It works like a service building, colonists clip through the walls of the rover, hit the centre and are effectively erased. When the trip is over they are brought back and go back inside. They don't actually move with the RC Safari or anything as far as I know.

You could maybe, maybe try and code it so it behaved like a dome connection so colonists could use it to move, but then you'd need to mess around making sure it was only use for migration and not to share services aswell as provide an adequate delay to them appearing at the other side, it would still be alot of coding.#

Having an asset is the easy part, coding the rest of the stuff is hard and the game isn't perhaps as simplistic as you think.

Don't hold your breath for a mod, it would be a really really big undertaking. I already know of one big Safari overhaul to just try and get the vanilla functionality to work better and it took 50 hours of work to just improve that (it has a really limited range meaning on medium or larger domes many colonists cannot reach it aswell as the Safari 'need' of tourists being not done correctly, these are some of the fixes done).
To me, as someone who doesn't know anything about coding, this sounds like it makes sense.
So I guess we should hope for an update from the devs to make the safari more useful.

Can't you just have a mode where it would work like a shuttle but driving on the ground?

Can't you just have a mode where it would work like a shuttle but driving on the ground?
Not really, you are mixing two really different pathing mechanics that don't interact with each other currently at all, its not just the pathing of the rover or shuttle, but of the colonists using it aswell.

Believe me when I say smarter and more experienced modders/coders than I have looked at it and deemed it too complex to try.

Not really, you are mixing two really different pathing mechanics that don't interact with each other currently at all, its not just the pathing of the rover or shuttle, but of the colonists using it aswell.

Believe me when I say smarter and more experienced modders/coders than I have looked at it and deemed it too complex to try.
Sad times
I guess I stay paradox and get my free shuttle port lol