• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(30345)

Recruit
Jun 10, 2004
I generally like to play this game ... and yes, I'm still playing it, in spite of the fact that HOI2 is here ... as the Germans. I came up with a method of using militia that might help someone else, if anyone else is playing the game!

My basic assumption is the the Night of the Long Knives never happened, and that an accomodation was made between the Army and the SA. In every province that is next to a foreign province, or contains a major city, I create an SA Korps. For example, in Kiel, I create the Kiel SA Korps, consisting of 3 SA (militia) divisions, and give the Korps a Lt. General with at least a skill rating of 2.

What this has allowed me to do is to use the regular army units in stacks of at least 9 divisions. I also have at least 4 x separate Korps (2 consisting of Fallschirmjaeger, 1 Mountain, and 1 Marine).

In actual practice, I find these SA Korps to be quite effective at protecting a province from all but the most powerful enemy units (such as UK, US, or USSR). I also make sure that each province has at least 3 points of Flak, and cities are also protected by 1-2 squadrons of fighters.

In my most recent game, the Hamburg SA successfully defended against 3 divisions of British troops, backed up by airpower. The He-100's defending the airspace cleared it of the enemy fighters, and the province had 3 points of coastal fortifications. Take note: One of the enemy divisions was armoured!

The only places that I don't defend with militia are provinces likely to be invaded by large amphibious formations, or struck with 3 or more armoured divisions (such as on the Eastern Front).

I used the same technique with the Italians, and managed to make them survive until 1946. They even took Alexandria, without German assistance.