• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Explore I guess. In 1.12 the ai colonizes south america a LOT less at first. I hope you find the colonizer colonies...

Regarding colonizing: Its why I recommended to get port core near Malacca asap. From there you can Island hop and colonize all the islands towards cape the good hope.

I established a colony next to one of Castiles (cape of good hope) but still unable to westernise. Am I missing something?

Which idea group did you go for after exploration? I didn't see it in any of your posts.

It won't work with any provinces that got assigned to trade company. You need to border western colonizer or any westernnation in america or europe itself...

Stupid, i know.

I took religious as second idea group, for the cb.

I want to note that many of the things shown in this AAR got patched or changed after 1.9.2.

But I bet you know that of course :)

If you got any questions, feel free to ask.

Jeezzz how are you such a good player.

patience and tenacity enough to get the most out of each situation.. And willingness to learn each mechanic on wiki and forum once I thought "eeeeeh...what?" if I encountered something I didn't understand.

Patch 1.9.2 and this aar needed way more micromanaging then my other aar.

Consider reading the Yeren--->Qing one.

And I'll post it here too: I'll write a brand NEW aar to day, chapter 1.

On the OPM vassal low development neighbour of the ottomans and Byzantium... NAXOS!

@ThinIcee welcome to forum.. And welcome as my follower ;)

patience and tenacity enough to get the most out of each situation.. And willingness to learn each mechanic on wiki and forum once I thought "eeeeeh...what?" if I encountered something I didn't understand.

Patch 1.9.2 and this aar needed way more micromanaging then my other aar.

Consider reading the Yeren--->Qing one.

And I'll post it here too: I'll write a brand NEW aar to day, chapter 1.

On the OPM vassal low development neighbour of the ottomans and Byzantium... NAXOS!

@ThinIcee welcome to forum.. And welcome as my follower ;)

Thanks, I read your PU guide before my first IronMan run ever. Played as Austria and was extremely helpful. Ended rank ~1150 on leaderboard I think. So when I read this I needed to follow. Still new to forums in general, but I'll definitely check out the Yeren to Qing.

As has been mentioned earlier I don't think Champa is the best first move (anymore?) since they have a level 3 fort (9 army needed to siege it). I can't get them to try invading me either, to split their force. They generally sit in the Da Nang hills with a 7 stack waiting, though perhaps I am not getting military access from the right people at the right times. Even their navy seems too tough to start against as they normally have an admiral and wipe my 5 galley navy in the inland seas unless I chip away a ship or two and then retreat etc...

On land even with a 4-2-1-1 leader and 6 troops I had trouble eliminating their stack as chasing them top to bottom takes over 1 month and as they heal my stack weakens and eventually I just lose by numbers after beating them in battle 3 or 4 times. I am sure there probably is a way of eliminating a stack by maybe conquering the animist province and then buying a mercenary to engage them ahead of where they run, but tbh you're still left a bit stuck even if you do eliminate them with the 9 men required for the fort. I realise I could probably take a few loans or maybe take a lot more time looting their provinces and just going over my 6 troop max, but it just feels to me they are a better 2nd or 3rd target after having a larger base army size etc.

I'm going to try taking some small islands (Ternate, Makassar) first, and watching closely until someone (Khmer it is normally) wars Champa and try to sneak a province or two that way before moving on to Malacca.

Anyway, some nice reading in this thread. I'm just starting to play Ironman games but hopefully soon will start bagging some of those achievements myself. Starting with 'the hardest' will be a fun challenge. Cheers. :)

Last edited:
I think it is generally agreed upon that Pagariyang (or however it is spelled) for its gold mine or even India are the best openers now.

Offload troops in uncolonized land, attack. They won't get black flagged.

This thread goes on about 1.13 ryukyu, its lot closer to 1.15 then it was to 1.9.2. link: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...three-mountains-1-13-1-ryukyu-one-tag.886822/

The strategies used in this aar and 1.9.2 got nerfed/changed badly.

Since it seems that smartphone users cannot read the links in the signature of my posts, I'll give my inkwell here.

EU4 patch 1.18 HAIDA sunset invasion on very hard mode ONGOING AAR: Visit the American natives!
EU4 patch 1.17 JANGLADESH on very hard mode one tag AAR: Visit Jangladesh!
EU4 patch 1.15 NAXOS one faith, one tag catholic crusader AAR: Visit the crusaders!
EU4 patch 1.13 YEREN into Qing true one tag (no CN, also no razing) AAR: For the horde!

EU4 Royal marriage, personal union and claim throne guide: Read Guide
EU4 Coalition handling guide: Read Guide