• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you all.

I might indeed accept the rebel demands, after letting rebels spawn until december 1820.

But to be honest, I forced myself to remove the eu4 icon from my desktop.

I am plannng to catch up on other games, and to go for witcher 3.

I am not saying I'm retiring from EU4, but I think I'll await the next big expansion.

If I ever do a campaign again, I might go for native american WC (don't think a one tag is possible ;)) just as I partly incited Ikkiks to do.

If I ever start a campaign and an AAR, I'll post it here.

But for now, I'm going to do some other stuff.

But last time I said that, it only worked for 14 days :)

Reactions:
Well I think it's only one month until the next expansion... Congrats, what an epic playthrough and we were all cheering for you to make it, very impressive :)

Reactions:
Well then, at least you have 20 days in peace without the urge to play Europa. With 20h of gaming per day you can even finish Witcher 3 before Europa becomes Sensible!

Reactions:
Don't worry DDRjake, I'm a fan of yours and I watched every single video of your Three Mountains achievement. I was actually wondering if my post would get some attention from you. Apparently, it worked.

Btw, if you are a scrub, what am I ?
I can criticize but, in the end, what have I done ? Nothing.

Reactions:
This was incredible to read, congratulations. And here I thought I was proud of my winning the HYW as England... o_O

Really interested to see what you can pull off with the upcoming patch!

Hey DDRJake, let them talk. Many of the stuff ingame I learned from YOU, watching your twitch campaigns.

I can safely say DDRJake is the real master of knowledge regarding eu4 game mechanics.

He proves that by achieveing some crazy goals in wonky campaigns. "chavs into england", "Pagan Sweden makes HRE electors pagan" and "sunni Battle Pope eradicating christianity" come to mind.

Hey DDRJake, let them talk. Many of the stuff ingame I learned from YOU, watching your twitch campaigns.

I can safely say DDRJake is the real master of knowledge regarding eu4 game mechanics.

He proves that by achieveing some crazy goals in wonky campaigns. "chavs into england", "Pagan Sweden makes HRE electors pagan" and "sunni Battle Pope eradicating christianity" come to mind.

Again, if it wasn't clear, that was a trollish post.

I know, but still. The master deserves credit :)

Quick question, in the first chapter, what's with the battles against negative numbers, and your defeat of 350k horsemen was impressive too! Some kind of new display bug?

I guess its a display bug. If you quit the game when any battle is ongoing, then the numbers get screwed up when the battle finishes, after you restart the game the next time.

I think it can also happen if you withdraw a part of your army, but not sure.

atwix, which patches were your other WCs with and how long do you usually prepare (understand mechanisms, find exploits) before you feel comfortable with a strat you've come up with?

1.7.3 for savoy.

1.8 for foix.

1.9.2 for Ryukyu.

As to strat preparation and feeling comfy: I just spent a lot of time comprending all game mechanics in my first months of playing. ALL game mechanics, even the hard/shady ones like PU mechanic. I then combined that with strategical insight (Risk board game experience? ;)), taking full benefit of opportunistic chances. Planning ahead is needed for a WC. Also, focussing on MORE then one thing at once is important. Most folks fight one war, and focus only on that. Finally, fighting in different continents at once to spread AE gain there over all the religions in all those continents is important.

Example: I said many times in 1.7 that changing capital as any european western nation to the black sea region is insanely powerful. Conquer Georgia/Trebizond or any nation at south black sea with no cb war, release them as vassal. You can now core provinces that neighbour that vassal, on european region. Make that province your capital, and make a corridor from that capital, trough your vassal, into Asia towards Africa, India etc. You can core everything there as overseas now, while keeping a corridor. Note that In savoy run this overseas didn't work yet, but the strategy was the same. Fight on different continents. Blobbing is easier if you start from Black sea. Look at ottomans, enough said. And the religions? Orthodox nations won't care if you attack/core heathens.
Read the savoy run (link in signature) and you'll see what I mean. I made a VERY atypical Savoy before 1500 there.

As for this Ryukyu run: I made a rough plan before starting, and tried to execute it. The capital switching was planned ahead, although I was aiming at doing it through the red sea into Mediterenean. Looking back, that would have been better. I should have kept capital in Africa. But a capital In FRANCE proved to be irrestible, from AAR point of view.

Ok I decided. If I ever do another AAR, it will be native american WC one, like Ikkiks. He does Iroquios, but I'll likely do Tarascan in middle America.

If I get around to starting the campaign and the next AAR, I'll announce it here.

I need some advice: do you folks think I should buy El Dorado? I'm not convinced by the doom mechanic and the reform religion mechanic. Seems buggy still.

Not to mention the arbitrary exploration missions.

Regarding El Dorado: If you play it straight, that is, don't try any "creative approaches" towards changing religions, there is nothing buggy about the new religions. Naval exploration, whether with or without El Dorado, is a non-issue for American primitives now, because they simply aren't allowed to do that before westernisation. Land exploration, on the other hand, still works fine with El Dorado; its perfectly viable to rush Exploration and snatch a Brazilian colony as Tarascan for fast westernisation. Doom is a non-issue once you understand how it works and if you only look at the bonuses, their Nahuatl religion is a prime example of power creep added by DLC, just like Hindu vs. Buddhist or Reformed vs. Protestant:

From the wiki:
Reforms:
  • Monthly war exhaustion: -0.05
  • Diplomatic relations: +1
  • Discipline: +5%
  • Colonist: +1
  • Stability cost modifier: -20%
Permanent Religion bonus
  • National unrest: -2
  • Morale of Armies: +10%

By the way, Nahuatl, Inti and Mayan don't get the option to convert during westernisation like other pagans (not even if unreformed, as one might have expected). So if you plan to go Christian, you can only do it through religious rebels.

Note that the new middle American religions cannot convert to Christianity during their westernization so I don't think that is feasible.

Edit: Emu'd.