• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks very interesting atwix.
Keep writing the details as I find those very good reading.

So will your future European allies be Castille/Portugal?

Likely.

I qualify to ally Portugal now, if i can get out of war. Currently on my second "rob the ming bank" war, since my ducat reserves are low.

Isn't this an exploit ? :D
BTW, I'm happy to have something to read :)

not really, just making full use of the potential of your diplomats ;)

Reactions:
Sub :)

Good "luck"

Bleigh!

something has kept me busy.

Remember that war on aragon to take portuguese colonies?

Aragon just took full anneation of toulouse then. Castile their rival joined coalition.

I was not thinking ahead very well.

I didn't have a diplomat free, or i would have joined that coalition.

And dow on aragon. Now i did it a week after castille declared on aragon... Castille would have helped me versus aragon and portugal then, and i would have had european capital by now, since Castille would only occupy stuff in THEIR name that they got claim on, because I am warleader.

Castille trashed portugal and aragon in that war. And i was SO angry at myself to let the opportunity pass.

I would have had a european capital and i could even have released guyenne.

Somehow i can't get this out of my head.. I hate missing out on opportunity like this.

So remember folks: joining a coalition can make another non-ally nation do the heavy lifting for you.

Khmer did same for vs vs ayutthaya, coalition war.

Anyways, savoy is now in coalition versus aragon. Maybe i can use that to my advantage.

Edited this into chapter 2, as its probably one of my first big mistakes in this run...

Last edited:
I would have gone for Malacca/Pasai/Riak/brunei/Pattani instead.

I also note that IF all ally each other in Indochina, that dai viet stays alone usually. And vassalising champa gives reconquest on dai viet.

The beauty of that is that you can wait till champa rebels spawn in the province north of champa, and when dai viet attacks those, dow on dai viet and make sure your army arrivés on province before fight with rebels is done. The army of dai viet will be weakened then, and might even be stackwiped.

Did same trick with ayutthaya. You can use rebels to your advantage by placing bait stacks so ai walks through rebel provinces, only to dogpile therm with all you got while they are fighting rebels.

I would imagine that Castile would want all of Aragon for themselves. It would leave you in a vulnerable spot, right between Castile and the BBB.

I would imagine that Castile would want all of Aragon for themselves. It would leave you in a vulnerable spot, right between Castile and the BBB.

Aragon had no cores on Toulouse yet.. And near BBB is exactly what i want.

I would have released Toulouse or so, and take Languedoc for myself as capital. Oh well, won't happen now, as iberian wedding fired.

something has kept me busy.

Remember that war on aragon to take portuguese colonies?

Aragon just took full anneation of toulouse then. Castile their rival joined coalition.

I was not thinking ahead very well.

I didn't have a diplomat free, or i would have joined that coalition.

And dow on aragon. Now i did it a week after castille declared on aragon... Castille would have helped me versus aragon and portugal then, and i would have had european capital by now, since Castille would only occupy stuff in THEIR name that they got claim on, because I am warleader.

Castille trashed portugal and aragon in that war. And i was SO angry at myself to let the opportunity pass.

I would have had a european capital and i could even have released guyenne.

Somehow i can't get this out of my head.. I hate missing out on opportunity like this.

So remember folks: joining a coalition can make another non-ally nation do the heavy lifting for you.

Khmer did same for vs vs ayutthaya, coalition war.

Anyways, savoy is now in coalition versus aragon. Maybe i can use that to my advantage.

Edited this into chapter 2, as its probably one of my first big mistakes in this run...
you wouldn't have been able to take any Toulousian provinces, as any war where you call in the coalition only allows you to take claims (as well as the normal cancel vassal / return cores / release nations), no matter what CB you use.

you wouldn't have been able to take any Toulousian provinces, as any war where you call in the coalition only allows you to take claims (as well as the normal cancel vassal / return cores / release nations), no matter what CB you use.

drat, you are right. Well, i can stop pondering then.

One thing i don't get:

When i declared on Ayutthaya in chapter 1: i think (not sure) the war was still listed as 'Lan Xang Reconquest of xxx" and not coalition war. I think i still go ticking warscore from taking the wargoal etc, and not from "superiority by winning land battles". But looking at the screenshots, i DID get huge warscore from the stackwipes.

On the ming war, it did say "superiority".

If a nation who is in coalition against you declares war with any CB, does it automatically change into a coalition war with superiority?

Since i never see or get a "coalition cb" if i declare war in a coalition.

drat, you are right. Well, i can stop pondering then.

One thing i don't get:

When i declared on Ayutthaya in chapter 1: i think (not sure) the war was still listed as 'Lan Xang Reconquest of xxx" and not coalition war. I think i still go ticking warscore from taking the wargoal etc, and not from "superiority by winning land battles". But looking at the screenshots, i DID get huge warscore from the stackwipes.

On the ming war, it did say "superiority".

If a nation who is in coalition against you declares war with any CB, does it automatically change into a coalition war with superiority?

It looks like it does. In my current Ottoman game I got declared on by Qara Qoyunlu and saw the popup that they declared a tribal feud war on me. Turns out the entire coalition got called in and it turned into a coalition war then.

The best thing about coalition wars, if you are the target of the coalition (I know in Aragon's case you wouldn't have been), is that if you fully occupy the war leader you will get 100% war score without having to wait the five years. So if you have a coalition against you just declare on an opm in the coalition, occupy them straight away (even assault if you're feeling fancy) and either fully annex them to put everyone else on a 15 year truce timer, or occupy whichever few provinces you want from the larger enemies and take them as you wish.

It doesn't. To get the Coalition CB as an option when declaring war, you need 3 members including you and you need to have an aggressive expansion modifier towards the target. If you don't, because you're too far away and/or wrong culture/religion and you nation doesn't give a damn about the target's aggression, you won't get the CB but you still can drag to coalition members into a war using a different (or no) CB. Also, the Coalition CB only becomes available on the 1st of the next month after you join a coalition of at least 2 members.

In my current Ottoman game I got declared on by Qara Qoyunlu and saw the popup that they declared a tribal feud war on me. Turns out the entire coalition got called in and it turned into a coalition war then.
As a Monarchy, you're not an eligible target for a Tribal Feud, only for a Tribal Conquest, which has a superiority wargoal just as a coalition war does.

i was theorycrafting again.

If i had declare on aragon and if it became coalition war, i would STILL have been able to do seperate peace deal with Portugal, that allows to ask for provinces in your name.

I did it with the first Ayutthaya/dai viet war. I did seperate peace deal with dai viet, and i could ask for provinces in my own name.

But, let's say i asked for algarve. It should have been within my colonial range after westernising and maybe taking dip tech 7, counted from arguin.

But i would lose Portugal as potential ally then, and Castille would not have been happy either. It would have been very bad idea i think, since Portugal would declare reconquest asap, and i probably could forget about allying Castille, after taking algarve.

All in all, would have been way too risky move.

If i take a europea province, it will likely be a province that i can release as vassal (to avoid nationalism) or a province right NEXT to a province that i can release as vassal. In that way, i would have been able to ally austria (since range malus for alliances also takes NON cored provinces into account when counting the range) , and after i secured all alliances i could get, i would have sold the province BACK to the vassal.

Oh well. I'll get another opportunity.

Damn atwix chapter 2 is awesome! Good luck on becoming emperor =)

i'm not quite sure yet if its a good idea to join the HRE or not.

In theory i could make claims on HRE, and after austria (hopefully) will be my PU subject, i could attack hre repeatedly and peace out imediatly with war reparations and some gold, to give the (small) emperor the chance to get a lot of reforms done, because he gets 20 IA everytime i'd attack and peace out.

I'm not sure if its possible to peace out the emperor seperatly in such cases, and to still be able to vassalise electors.

Its been since patch 1.7 that i tried to become emperor of HRE.

Any tips to plan ahead and advice wether or not i should aim for joining HRE are welcome.

Just curious, is it possible to leave HRE in lets say 17th century if you joined them early on?

I think for joining HRE, marches don't count or have reduced base tax in the calculation...

When you are doing 1 stack vassal leading do you get tons of army tradition due to perceived size discrepancy? (game sees tiny Ryukyu beating up big Ayuthayya etc)?

I think for joining HRE, marches don't count or have reduced base tax in the calculation...

When you are doing 1 stack vassal leading do you get tons of army tradition due to perceived size discrepancy? (game sees tiny Ryukyu beating up big Ayuthayya etc)?

No clue on the marches thing. I have been toying with the idea of making all vassals marches, but decided against it, since the bonus from being a march vanishes once the vassals get fed a lot.

Westernising tanked my legitimacy down, reducing my total tax base. I might qualify for joining HRE, but i'm unsure if i should join HRE or not.

Regarding tradition:

thats a very good remark. Yes, it got 100 army tradition very quick. But i only saw i had 100 army tradition when Ming attacked. I don't know how long i had it then.

But, it could have skyrocketed thanks to winning battles as "ryukyu" versus nations a lot bigger then me, using the vassal armies. But thats something for console testers to figure out.

It sounds likely it does work like that.

I got 100 naval tradition as WELL very fast. So, this might mean that a small OPM doing epxloration gives lot fater navy tradition gain then exploring as portugal, castille or any other big nation.

Again, something for console testers to figure out/confirm.

Joining the HRE has almost only pros. Joining the HRE gives you the protection of the emperor + allies, so they join on defensive wars. You will be much likely to be attacked in the HRE. Having elector-vassals as emperor give you a IA malus. So having vassals to stay the emperor isnt great if you want to pass reforms.

Each terra incognita sea zone revealed through naval exploration grants +1 naval tradition.

euivwiki