• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice start! Good luck atwix.

did you ever start a ryukyu one tag too ikkiks? Thought i read you were willing to attempt it aswell.. Or was that dragos22 (the guy who did ottoman one tag)

Last edited:
did you ever start a ryukyu one tag too ikkiks? Thought i read you were willing to attempt it aswell.. Or was that dragos22 (the guy who did ottoman one tag)
It was dragos22. I'm so tempted to try again though. I want to do it when El Dorado is released, if I find some kind of exploit or if it's possible through conquest.

I want to learn your game of thrones mechanics too. It looks so good, even though I hate the luck side of PUs. I'll definitely follow this thread.

How do you intend to convert to Christianity?

the intent is to get coring range up to europe or america, and westernize from a core of christian western country NEXT to me. In that case, animist nations get an event that flips them to the christian faith of the neighbouring christian state.

How and where exactly will be determined by opportunistism. Most likely it will be a colony snatch move in south america (first portuguese colonies) but i'm nit sure yet.

the intent is to get coring range up to europe or america, and westernize from a core of christian western country NEXT to me. In that case, animist nations get an event that flips them to the christian faith of the neighbouring christian state.

How and where exactly will be determined by opportunistism. Most likely it will be a colony snatch move in south america (first portuguese colonies) but i'm nit sure yet.
Morocco could have Portuguese cores left.

*takes out note book*

Good Luck as well.. :)

Chapter 2: The opportunistic acceptance of westernisation and catholicism

That chapter title sounds promising or not?

Credit goes to TheMeInTeam to help me plan this chapter out.

Disclaimer: Please don't accuse me for so called cheating after reading this chapter. All the mechanics used in this chapter are working as designed; I just used them opportunistically.

Ryukyu is sitting on 20 war exhaustion since 1460, but it just can't control itself. So.. TO WAR! :mad:

That province Ayutthaya took earlier from Pegu offers me reconquest cb versus them. All my rivals get called in, due to coalition mecahnics. Of course, they are all co-belligerent then, BUT they cannot call in their allies. Yes, you can use coalition mechanics against the AI.

Contrary to what most people think: coalitions joined by you and coalitions made against you are GOOD! :D If you plan to abuse the mechanic, that is.

Prepare to be astounded, Mong Yang.

I unleash my micromanaging skills on you. I really can't stress enough how important micromanaging is in EU4.

I used 3k mercenaries, split 'm in three, let vassals attach to all three and move those armies one province a time towards their goal, to prevent the vassal armies from detaching. Its tiresome, but its what i base OPM conquest on. It costs almost nothing, and i get no war exhaustion apart from blockades..

Only for opening battles versus a large stack i throw everything i got against them ;)

IMPORTANT TIP: when moving your vassal armies the way i do, and when i dogpile one province with enemies in it, i study all the arrival dates of all the armies. Note the last date, and cancel movement of other armies, until you can let them arrive at the SAME day as the first army.

Result? All vassal armies arrive on province SAME day, and this can decide a battle early on if you get a good shock roll in the first combat round.

Example from the tip above: 3500 casualties my side, 9000 their side. I send biggest vassal army after the fleeing army, rest can occupy Mong Yang.

I bet you are quite astounded by now, Mong Yang...

The other side of the front isn't looking too good o_O

Another benefit of using my micromanaging armies one province at a time: vassal armies won't go after rebels. EVER. Not if you are at war. If you have rebels in peace time, the vassals will go for them alone, which can deplete their manpower...
Champa army won't go after them now, so they can siege whatever they want for now, though :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, i'm trying to reach america with my explorer. I took my eye of him for too long and i got Lucky i didn't lose him there.. 3% when he reached harbor :eek:

Having many enemies can be GOOD sometimes. Especially if they start insulting you... That event made relation with Ming go above 100!

It seems France does its usual job again: Getting in a fight versus everyone :rolleyes:

Note that Austria, castile and england are rivals of France. And Austria got the burgundian inheritance.

I'm with Austria on this. Kill baguette :mad:

The Northwestern front is secure. Still, gonna fully occupy it before i turn my attention to the southeast front.

Rebels are more of a problem then my enemies. Oh well. I'll dogpile the rebel stacks with my entire vassal army, and let them arrive there from all sides on the SAME day. They hardly last 2 combat rounds then.. Ok it costs manpower to the attrition, but its not MY manpower...

My own army is sieging the occupied rebel provinces in dai viet. The vassal armies stack wipe Khmer. I surrounded them first, and they never knew what hit them...

I hope this proves that micromanage movement of armies can make or break a campaign.

The rebel stacks got dealth with the same way. Spread up and siege Khmer boys!

Whatever Khmer sieged won't help them if we occupy them 100%.

The benefit of feeding vassals is that you never need full annexation requirements. You just need high warscore...

If you occupy a nation 100% then you can do 100% peace deals, no matter WHAT target nation or their alies sieged up.

Cancel that last order vassals! Move back to Mong Yang and kill rebels there first. Can't have that coring cost go to ruin. I left 1k troops on the three Khmer provinces and on each of the provinces they sieged, to avoid that Khmer makes new (merc) troops in their own or their occupied provinces.

I'll be back soon enough..

Wow, France got trashed in that succession war.

See where my explorer is now? Thats right, Peru. One benefit of exploring as an animist nation, is that all animist tribes will give you fleet access without a relation boost..

Forgot to add an ironman proof screenshot so far. Well, here goes. I almost led my explorer from okinawa to africa to europe to america and back to okinawa. Around the world in 50 years, and umm.. 70%? of all coastlines explored.

It almost looks as if there is a snake spawning from south america To eat Ryukyu. EEK!

Game of thrones! Denmark is the victim this time. This also proves Lithuania exploded somehow, since Galicia-Volhynia attacks Poland.

IMPORTANT TIP: Popup configuration must be changed from default to something you like. What i do is to set all popups to POPUP AND pause, and later on change the settings if I get a popup that I don't like (like who gave access to who). You must set interesting nations, and configure it all in a way you like.
Ryukyu can see who declares on who, and who is fighting who, and the result of all that, around the globe... Just because I like being informed during a campaign. It shows you where to do opportunistic moves for your diplomacy part of the campaign.

I Always say that a 1500 screenshot decides whether or not a WC is possible with any given nation. The first 50 years are crucial, and the last 100 too.

What you folks think? Is this a 1500 screenshot that can lead to a WC?

I finished off Khmer, gave Champa its Khmer core back and fed Pegu almost entire Mong Yang. I was planning to feed them *entire* Mong Yang, but Manipur rebels decided otherwise. I let them do their thing. Manipur might become a good country to base future war declarations from.

I never rest between wars usually (why would I? I'm at 20 warexhaustion and the ming bank provided gold to survive) but now i DID, to give my vassals a breather. Champa (and other vassals had it aswell in smaller amount) was at 7 war exhaustion and all vassal manpower pools needed to recover.

1500 seemed a good year to start conquest again. I rivalled U tsang, and went for Ayutthaya again with reconquest CB, knowing that I could make U tsang co-belligerent. The plan was to make a corridor through Butan into U Tsang, and to make claim on Nepal later to make them my 4th vassal. Nepal is Hindu and takes religious ideas first 's why. That plan had to go in the freeze though, as some interesting opportunities forced me to rethink my entire campaign....

This is where its gonna get interesting.

ARGUIN. an isolated province in the heart of the el djouf wasteland. You probably won't believe it, but this is Castille FIRST colony!!! Thats what you get if the colonizer nations get smashed in the 15th century.
Portugal had 4 colonies in South America and one on the way. That was it.

This opportunity forced me to rethink my entire campaign. Why? WESTERNISATION and CATHOLICISM.

More on that later, and what i was planning, but first things first.

Castille was patrolling that coast like mad, so i sent my explorer and my entire army (not the 3k for vassal armies there) by boat. Benin allowed me to switch composition of the fleets for.. an attack on Castille. Madness you say? Maybe, maybe not.

After i wrote down the fleet patrolling patterns, the travel dates they need from here and there to Arguin (yes, i'm a micromanaging fetishist, can't allow my move to fail, i only got ONE shot at this!) i made my move. On the exact same day i did a dow on castille, the explorer and 1 cog invaded castillian Mainland from the mediterrenean (as far away from castille fleets as possible), 1 cog distracted the patrol fleet of castille that travels between Sevilla and south america (with arguin in between) and finally my conquistador with my spare army invaded Arguin.

Man, its so rewarding if a plan works out. The castille main fleet scrambled to repel my explorer and 1k troops invading castille (as i hoped they would) and trusted on their patrol fleet to stop invasion of arguin. Result?

I lost the explorer, the briq, one cog but reached arguin in time before Castille main fleet or patrol fleet could reach Arguin..

Why go for arguin of all places you might wonder. To seize the colony! I waited to invade arguin until the settler count passed 950. Then i seized the colony. Seizing a colony makes it YOUR colony. If it reaches 1000 population, Ryukyu will get a core in arguin, and the culture will be castillian, with catholic faith.
Think of the possibilities, and you might guess my next moves.

The castillian fleet on the previous screenshot realized it came too late to sop invasion of arguin. They sailed back to Castille to pick up an invasion army. Time to end this war.

Castille accepted war reparations and some gold to end the war, while they were invading Arguin. Note that i could have peaced out the month after starting the war with this peace deal, but i wanted a DRAMATIC screenshot. And to prove that AI is really dumb sometimes. Arguin was MINE! Part 1 of the plan completed.

The reason my troops took casualties is because i force attacked the natives until they are GONE. Can't have natives damaging the colony while it completes.. 0 natives now. But that was for naught, as a well timed exploration group event finished the colony after accepting the first option :rolleyes:

The idea is to qualify for westernisation. So i won't take land for myself, and i'm coring Ryukyun provinces after Pegu finished coring the provinces next to it.

Important tip: If your vassal is on same continent as your nation capital, then your nation can core provinces adjacent to your vassal territory IF the vassals themselves got a core neighbouring the province you want to core. So, thats why i can core those inland provinces. Pegu got fed a bit more, and U Tsang has nice borders again. Everyone Happy.

After that i gave moulmein core back to Pegu, Ayutthaya got reduced to OPM, and Lan Xang got the OPM Sukhotai fed to them (I attacked while they had no allies).

To westernize, and to be able to get the event to switch to catholic, i need to border a catholic nation with one of my own cores. This proved to be impossible anywhere near Arguin, but not in south america.

Portugal had truce with me since the attack on castille, so i attacked aragon to drag them in a war again.

I got 20 war exhaustion, so who cares about more war exhaustion penalties.. I don't :rolleyes:

Edit:

something has kept me busy.

Remember that war on aragon to take portuguese colonies?

Aragon just took full anneation of toulouse then. Castile their rival joined coalition.

I was not thinking ahead very well.

I didn't have a diplomat free, or i would have joined that coalition.

And dow on aragon. Castille would have helped me versus aragon and portugal then, and i would have had european capital by now, since Castille would only occupy stuff in THEIR name that they got claim on, because I am warleader.

Castille trashed portugal and aragon in that war. And i was SO angry at myself to let the opportunity pass.

I would have had a european capital and i could even have released guyenne.

Somehow i can't get this out of my head.. I hate missing out on opportunity like this.

Edit again: BBQFTW pointed out i never could have asked for provinces in that war, since its coalition war. So, my mind is clear again. Still, i leave the comment here, as declaring coalition war is still useful to feed a vassal cores from other countries that someone made a coalition against.

Edit AGAIN: i was theorycrafting again.

If i had declare on aragon and if it became coalition war, i would STILL have been able to do seperate peace deal with Portugal, that allows to ask for provinces in your name.

I did it with the first Ayutthaya/dai viet war. I did seperate peace deal with dai viet, and i could ask for provinces in my own name.

But, let's say i asked for algarve. It should have been within my colonial range after westernising and maybe taking dip tech 7, counted from arguin.

But i would lose Portugal as potential ally then, and Castille would not have been happy either. It would have been very bad idea i think, since Portugal would declare reconquest asap, and i probably could forget about allying Castille, after taking algarve.

All in all, would have been way too risky move.

If i take a europea province, it will likely be a province that i can release as vassal (to avoid nationalism) or a province right NEXT to a province that i can release as vassal. In that way, i would have been able to ally austria (since range malus for alliances also takes NON cored provinces into account when counting the range) , and after i secured all alliances i could get, i would have sold the province BACK to the vassal.

Oh well. I'll get another opportunity.

So remember folks: joining a coalition can make another non-ally nation do the heavy lifting for you.

Khmer did same for vs vs ayutthaya, coalition war. Savoy is now in coalition verus aragon, that might be useful still...

I captured the colony again, right before it was supposed to turn into a portuguese core. Now its MY core soon. Now i had the cores needed to westernize. In 1512. Thats right. Note that i did a failed attempt at this in 148x. If it had worked out, i would have started westernising in 148x. But right when i invaded the colony, 1k troops arrived there. I forgot to check troops being built, because i was a little too eager. In the end its the same result, because i never teched up anything since 148x.

Say what? Catholic zealot danger in the colonies i just captured? As i expected. This really is coming along well..I'm sure i can use THAT to my advantage... Note that the zealots spawned due to the 20 war exhaustion i have. Having 20 war exhaustion is GOOD in some cases!! I waited till they had 80% and removed ALL of my war exhaustion with diplo points, since my diplo pool was close to max. I needed to do it sooner or later, for westernising.

Edit: you can get rid of 20 war exhaustion and negative stability by collapsing your own nation to rebels aswell, but this was deemed exploiting in my book. I actually used a load of diplo power to get rid of ALL of it...

I let the war with aragon and portugal continue until another of the portuguese colonies almost finished. I seized my second portuguese colony now! Catholic zealots spawned, and they occupied the castillian former colony and the 2 former portuguese colonies. Time to end this war, after capturing this third portuguese colony for sports.

Westernizing with provinces with revolt risk thanks to nationalism is bad idea. So i sold all ryukyun cores in asia except okinawa to my vassals.

Result? Catholic zealots occupied more then half of my cores combined, and catholicism is the main religion in 50+% of my total provinces. That made me able to ACCEPT the zealot demands and to flip to catholicism WITHOUT westernizing event. I sent a missionary to okinawa (will take 2-3 years) and then i will have 100% religious unity after.

.... Right.

.... .

I' not done yet. Part 2 of plan complete :D

Since i had only okinawa left as a core in asia, Ryukyu qualifies to move its capital to another continent.

You can move your capital to another continent if you only have 1 core left in your home continent. You need to have no rebels present anywhere on your provinces either, including rebel occupations.

I qualified. Arguin in africa is now my new capital, right next to Castille and Portugal islands. This allows me possible royal marriages with castille and portugal in the future. Maybe even an Alliance. But thats for next chapter.

I fulfilled all the westernisation prerequisites, i got (soonish) 100% religious unity as catholic state. So.. I started it. At admin tech lvl 5, dip tech 2 and military tech 3. It will finish march 1522. I got a nice pool of monarch points.

Can't argue this worked out well, can you? :cool:

Hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Last edited:
Reactions:
And when I got to the Arguin part I mumbled "son of a..." :)
Magnificent. Simply magnificent.

And when I got to the Arguin part I mumbled "son of a..." :)
Magnificent. Simply magnificent.

It was a daring move. Seizing a colony that close to the colonizer homeland is dangerous, especially since arguin can't be seized by asking military access from neighbouring nation.

Hence the diversion move.

I'll let you in on a secret.

The army arrived in arguin 8 december. I saw that huge castillian fleet pop up in the sea north of it 5 december... HEART ATTACK MOMENT!!! :blink:

But then the ai realised they couldn't reach next sea province before the 8th, and they turned BACK. Imagine my surprise when i paused when i saw castillian fleet north of arguin on the 5th... only to see it moving back to Sevilla.

It was an "all or nothing" move, and i was Lucky it worked out. I can safely admit that. But without the diversions i had planned thx to observing the fleets, i NEVER would invaded arguin in time. So yay me.

Crazy. Africa isn't a bad continent at all - lots of ivory + gold. Do you plan on eventually moving to Europe?

Well-executed plan as well.

Crazy. Africa isn't a bad continent at all - lots of ivory + gold. Do you plan on eventually moving to Europe?

Well-executed plan as well.

Yes, thats the plan. I doubt i can join the HRE though, i bet my vassal basetax will make it unable to join HRE, with the current "join hre" formuale of "'100 + CultureModifier * (BaseTax + VassalBaseTax * VassalIncomeModifier) ". My vassals can only have 25 base tax if this formulae applies, which they exceed easily.

But i got no clue whatsoever if it takes vassals into account that are on another continent. If anyone has feedback regarding HRE joining in my situation, i'd appreciate it.

Provence province (looks like Provence is OPM now that borders HRE) and Romagna province (ne italy, part of Papal states, bordering HRE) look good targets to move my capital too, but without allies in europe this will be hard unless an opportunistic chance at it pops up.

Last edited: