• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Trade Policy Implementation (1550-1560)
02-Map1558.jpg

After adoption of New Treasury Reform the country economy has greatly expanded. Azra-Va Patrikeev insisted on strong policy of mercantilism and early industrialization. For trade facilitation in Cremia the Russian Tsardom declared war on Mordvinia for the coastal provinces of Black Sea. During the so-called «Black Sea Coast War» (1554-1558) the Russian Tsardom got access to main seaport of Azov. Azra-Va Patrikeev died on July, 2, 1558, and his place in the cabinet was succeeded by Irter Irtegid, a very proficient merchant, renowned for his attempts to improve trade customs in Kazan. Irter Irtegid continued the policy of his predecessor of trade protection.
04-Paavo.jpg

However, Irter Irtegid was soon replaced by Paavo Chelyuskin from an influential nobble family. After the last war he lift Mordvinia and decided to serve at the court of Elizabeth I Meri. Paavo Chelyuskin has become one of the most competent and powerful advisors to the Queen of Russia. He was focused on trade development in newly conquered areas of Crimea. Government also subsided the construction of weapon manufactures to increase Iron production. The Queen has declared: «We must substitute Grain and Fur export by manufactured goods like Iron and Cooper»
Income.jpg
The policy of trade protection and industrialization has clearly yielded rapid economic development. Total income has raised by 12% for the period of policy implementation (1550-1560). Production grew by 20%, with manufacturing companies achieving record high productivity growth. Share of iron production had doubled! Trade slightly declined because of the overextension as a result of the recently conquered provinces. Unfortunately, gold mining is degrading because of high corruption (level of 28). Rapid economic growth is followed by corruption...
Novgorod-trade-overwiev.jpg

Trade node of Novgorod continued to develop, and according to the records of Paavo Chelyuskin fur and grain trade had furnished because of state protection. Despite the bitter war against Norse France (Crusade War 1564-1572 – to be described later) significant developments took place in the trade sector of the Realm. Novgorod has become one of the major ports of the world: goods from Asia and the Eastern Europe regularly pass through the trade node and the city of Novgorod flourished.
05-Novgorod-Trade-2.jpg

Trade is flourishing! That's great

Trade is flourishing! That's great
I'm keen on trade and econimics. See my tables). Trade system in EU IV is a very fascinating thing

Chapter V. The History of the Russian Early Colonization
01-Opolye.jpg

The Russian Tsardom has grown from a small ordinary duchy of Opolye, located on the north-east of the Russian Plain. Rulers of Opolye initially recognized Norse supremacy to oppose Khazar Khaganate. After unpredictable collapse of Khazar Khaganate high chiefs of Opolye achieved independence from Vikings by establishing The Kingdom of Vladimir (1020 AD). Two hundred years later Vladimir Kingdom has become a Holy Suomenko Empire, conquered all nearby tribes, duchies and kingdoms of the East Slavonians and the Finno-Ugrians (1227 AD). In the late XII century Kazan and Volga Bulgaria were conquest, they became eastern frontiers of the Empire.
02-Year-of-1444.jpg

Mongol Invasion had stopped the Russian expansion on the East for a while. The Mongol Hordes fortunately did not invade Russia, but conquest all lands in the Ural and West Siberia. In the late XIII century the Mongol Empire almost as quickly as it formed and soon an infinite number of tribes and hordes started fighting each other. Russia got the chance to get their hands on splinters of the Mongol Empire, but the Russian Medieval Empire has been suffering some severe internal disasters in 12-14th centuries. The so-called Imperial Crises (1293, 1346, 1385,1431) have caused state integration, resulting in the loss of Mordvinia, Volga Bulgaria. The Road to The East was closed.
04-Year-f-1620.jpg

Only in a hundred years, Russia could again cross Volga River. In the first half of XVI century territories of Volga Bulgaria and Mordvinia were returned to Russia. In the reign of Ivan II Great and his brother Ivan III Meri the Ural was populated by the Russians. The road to the East was open at last, and numerous colonists (mainly Cossacks) flooded the Ural and the West Siberia in the following two centuries. Golden Age of Elizabeth I Meri (1540-1580) greatly grounded on the trade of goods from the Siberia. Fur, iron, copper, salt and gold were flowing to the West through Novgorod, a major trade hub of the Russian Tsardom. Decades of economic boom and prosperity from 1550 to 1620 based on natural resources exported on the West.
05-Glory-of-Ming.jpg

The first Russian colony of Obdorsk was founded in 1573, and, by 1630, the Russian Siberian Frontier has reached the Chinese borders. The Ming was the most powerful, rich and influential country in the whole world. The first institution of Renaissance had spread from the Chinese Canton but not the Italian Milan… Largest army and unimaginable wealth allowed the Ming to conduct a highly aggressive foreign policy and sent colonial missions around the world. The Chinese colonists settled Australia, Mexico, California and the coast of the Far East. Russia was cut off from Pacific Ocean.
the-Ming.jpg

Manchuria was one of the last independent states in Asia. Others have been subjugated by the Ming (become tributary states) or intimidated. Envoys from Manchuria arrived in Tver at the court of Dmitry I Meri in the fall of 1640. Tsar of Dmitry ascended the throne of Russia after death of his mother Maria I Meri in 1613. Over the next fifteen years he has become a competent military leader and skilled administrator. One-year earlier Dmitry I Meri signed the Treaty of Yerevan with Persia, in which Persia was forced to return some core provinces to Georgia, a vassal of Russia. However, that was a high risk to fight against the Ming… After many reflections and meetings with members of the Royal Council Dmitry I Meri has decided to guarantee independence of Manchuria. The Russian forces moved to the Chinese borders.
06-War.jpg

The Chinese-Manchurian War lasted 9 years from 1635 to 1644. The Ming assaulted Manchuria by invading by more than 100 000 men. The Russian Expeditionary Force raised from 50 000 up to 100 000 men. In the early stages of the war the Russian armies were mainly trying to liberate occupied Manchurian provinces and attack separate enemy troops. As the war dragged on, major battles happened more often.

07-desicive-battle.jpg

The final decisive battle took part on 5 March, 1643 in the countryside of Beijing. The Russian-Manchurian forces could defeat enemy army in the bloody battle, after which the Ming forces retreated. Peace Agreement was concluded on 14 August, 1644. Manchuria preserved the independence and conquered some minor provinces from the Ming. The Russian Tsardom seized some colonies. The Ming suffered heavy losses and lost more than 400 000 men. Next year Russia, Manchuria and Shogunate signed triple military alliance, the North Asian Alliance was formed. Future major war is inevitable...
09-Year-of-1644.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions:
And a Russia-China rivalry starts...

I wonder when the Russians will reach the Americas?

And a Russia-China rivalry starts...

I wonder when the Russians will reach the Americas?
The war would be devastating, so both Russia and the Ming want to postpone direct millitary conflict. I think the russians will reach America in XVIII century.

Chapter VI. Karabakh
Massacre in Karabakh. 1645

Your Majesty,

The Russian Caucasus Force has entered the province of Karabakh on your order. A major uprising of local people erupted in these areas last year. Turcik tribes in Karabakh upraised against oppression of Armenia in the hope of establishing their own national self-government. The Armenian garrison was completely slaughtered as well as the supporters of occupation administration. Bloody skirmishes, arsons, and fierce looting have covered the region. We could restore an order for a while, but social unrest is widespread. People of Karabakh did not admire the supremacy of Armenia. I think, Russia has to take diplomatic but not military actions.
General Achvo Barytinsky

02-Region-1222.jpg
«Your Majesty,

You would know what is the right thing to do in this difficult situation, occurred in Karabakh. At first, allow me to make a short review on the history of the Caucasus. The region had been dominated by the Byzantine Empire from XII century. The Byzantine Empire conquest all local duchies of Georgia, Kartli and Armenia and become a super power up to middle of XII century, conquering coastline of Black Sea. The first major rebellion broke out in the 1440s, when a nobleman from the House of Bagrationi raised an uprising against the Byzantines. The rebellion was smashed cruelly and drowned in blood, but it attracted the attention of the Russian Tsardom.
03-Region-1525.jpg

In the first half of XVI century collapse of the Byzantine Empire has become inevitable. One by one, nations of the Caucasus has gained independence. The states of Imereti and Georgis declared independence in 1525 and 1537 consequently. Duchy of Karabakh was formed in 1540, while its neighbor of Armenia founded their own state in 1570. The once-powerful Byzantine Empire ceased to exist.
04-Persia.jpg

However, the Byzantine Empire was soon replaced by another aggressor… Persia. By the end of XVI century Peris gradually conquest the east part of the Caucasus. Karabakh had lost its independence in 1559, Armenia was conquered in 1596. In the reign of Elizabeth I Meri the Russian Tsardom attempted to interve, but was defeated by Persia in the first Russian-Persian war (1589-1596).

06-The-second-war.jpg

Only 30 years later Dmitry I Meri issued a challenge to Persia again. Persia was attacked by its aggressive neighbor of Mamluks, and Dmitry I Meri decided to take a chance. The Russian forces invaded the Caucasus and further crossed the borders of Persia. After the Second Russian-Persian war (1626-1629) Russia could returned the province of Yerevan to Georgia. However, Armenia still remained part of Persia.

07-Treaty-of-shaiki.jpg

In the great times of war (1635-1645) the Russian Tsardom under the command of Dmitry I Meri was fighting simultaneously the war against Persia and the Ming. The war was extremely bloody and hard. In the series of war battles (Khorramabad-1643, Hoveyzeh-1644, and Semnan-1645) Russia defeated Persia. According to the Treaty of Shaki, Persia released Armenia and Karabakh as sovereign states, ceded Ganja, and Shaki to Georgia. Persia pulled out of the Caucasus and local people could decide their future for themselves. The Russian Tsardom become the dominant power in the Caucasus.
08-Vassal-Armenia.jpg

Armenia declared war on Karabakh and annexed the state in 1646. But local people of Karabakh never accepted it and fierce guerrilla war started in 1647. The Russian troops led by Achvo Barytinsky suppresed the revolt but the situation is dangerous. Our enemies might benefit from instability in the region. We have lost too many lives of our soldiers to gain a foothold in the Caucasus. Your Majesty, we have to find a way to stop the bloodshed in the region, I think that a national autonomy is the only way to establish a long-standing peace.
Oleg von Lascy
10-New-rebelliom.jpg

The Great Tsar of Dmitry I Meri died of heart attack on February 5, 1646. The throne was succeeded by his son Ivan IV Meri. Oleg von Lascy convinced him to vassalize Armenia, which was done in 1649. However, on February 22, 1653 another rebellion again erupted in Karabakh. Ivan IV Meri was horrified by the wars of his father: murders, violence, bloodshed and devastation shocked him. In his reign Ivan IV Meri tried to avoid violence and millitary cnflicts. So receiving word of the new round of civil disorder in Karabakh Ivan IV Meri refused to land forces in the Caucasus.

Queen Regent Gernava (1655-1661)

Ivan IV Meri soon died (1655) and his wife Gernava become a Queen Regent for her son Aleksey. She was a talented woman, who could hold onto power over the next ten years, until Aleksey came of ages in 1665. Gernava supported a non-intervention policy in the Caucasus. So after a 10-years guerrilla war, Karabakh separated from Armenia in 1658. Within three years Karabakh also become a vassal of Russia and peace has been restored.

Last edited:
Chapter VI. The Black Cannon Incident (1666)
01-Introduction.jpg
July 1663
Military camp

Field is almost completely covered by powder smoke. Wounded people are crying and no one knows what exactly happens. A massive bombard, an experiment version of cannon, exploded, injuring and killing dozens of men. One of them is Aleksey I Meri, a young monarch who ascended the throne of Russia only six months earlier. Wheel of the cannon smashed his head and he lost his own life. Breathless body of young man lies in the gras…
Recovery from the Times of War (1635-1645)

Aleksey I Meri was an heir to throne as a son of Ivan IV Meri. Father died when Aleksey was only 9 years old and his mother Gernava has become a Queen Regent. Aleksey grown a well-educated man with pleasant manners by the standards of the time. He knew history, literature, mathematics and even geology. Aleksey lived in the times of stability, peace and recovery after the turbulent years of Dmitry I Meri. Under the leadership of Oleg von Lascy, the Russian Tsardom pursued a peaceful policy towards neighboring countries and states. A great number of vassals were exhausting diplomatic power of the realm, so Lascy tried to integrate Zaporozhe and Lithuania. As noted previously, small nations of the Caucasus became dependent on Russia.

The Swedish revolt to declare their own independence (1658)

The Russian Tsardom funded the independence of Sweden, where influential national movement against more than there centuries of polish rule, broke out in the rebellion. Separatist forces stormed the fortress of Stockholm and in the following years occupied the most parts of the Swedish cored provinces. The Russian delegates secretly supplied the Swedish forces by ammunition, gunpowder and weapons. Sweden, if restored, would be loyal to the Russian Tsardom.
05-The-Ming.jpg

The Russian foreign policy on the West contrasted with its aggressive expansion on the Far East. The North Asian Alliance was formed in the 1640s and retained its strength up to the 1660s. Emperors from the Ming dynasty has lost Mandate of Heaven and disintegration began to spread, leading to instability and armed internal conflicts. Powerful kingdom of Dehli attacked some tributary states of the Ming and the Chinese Empire was forced into war. Russian envoys and traders located in Samarkand provided value information about the course of the war. The Ming armies were defeated and inland provinces started to be occupied. Russia, Manchuria and Ashikaga attacked the Ming, allied forces invaded the north of China and blockaded part of the Chinese coast.

Weapon Manufactory. Tver, the 1650s

The Russian Expeditionary Force had a lack of artillery to siege high-fortified castles of the Ming. Tver, Vladmir and Nizhniy Novgorod have been the centers for military production from the end of XVI century. In the reign of Elizabeth I Meri and Maria I Meri (1560-1610) dozens of weapon manufactories were built. Before sending cannons to the Chinese front, they have to be tested in the military camps. A young Tsarevich Aleksey I Meri wanted to take part in such an equipment test. He arrived on July 13, 1661.
The Night Council Meeting, July 19, 1663

On this unfortunate day, his wife Gernisava stayed in the Kremlin of Tver, she took care of the child (Pyotr). Messengers from the military camp arrived in the midnight. Queen was woken up; members of the Royal Council had been yet waiting for her in the Council Chamber. The Night Meeting was attended by Constans Aoinos (imperial cleric), Semen Apraxine (military organizer) and Sophia Romanov (the Chancellor).
«The heir is too young to govern on his own, the Realm needs a Regent»

«Did the Realm really need a Regent or Regency council? Gernislava is only 24 years old, she didn’t even know the language! »

« There is an alternative, we are confident to enact the Parliamentarism government reform for our monarchy. Maybe, it is time to separate the head of the government from the head of the state. We should give legislative assemblies of the land a larger share in the day-to-day rule of our state»

«Queen Regent, Regency Council or Parliament? »

Chapter V. Sofia. Acting Regent (1663 – 1675)
1663. July Night Coup.

July 1663
Royal Palace, Tver

«Dear members of the Council, The Kremlin is blockaded by streltsy. General Romadanovsky sent loyal to him troops into the city»

«Did he send forces into Tver? And for what reason did he do it? Traitor!»

«He has done it on my order to protect the realm against traitors, entrenched in the Royal Council»

«Who are you to protect the realm, Sofia?! You will be arrested and beheaded like Onton Tichanov»

«First you, Apraxine» - Sofia replied

The Council Chamber is flooding by armed men led by general Romadanovsky. Members of the Council keep silence.
Sofia greets Romadanovsky and later dresses in armor.

Sofia Romanov. Acting Regent in the days of coup

«Mother Russia is in danger! Aleksey died; his youngest son Pyotr is only 3 years old. Some deceitful members of the Council are plotting against monarchy, they desire to overthrow the House of Meri and establish a “oligarchic republic”.

Homeland the Mother is surrounded by enemies. Our brave forces are fighting now the Ming thousands of miles away. Coalition of the hostile South Asian states are preparing for war against us. The power must be in one hand. Russia is too big, too multicultural and multireligious to be a Republic. Gernislava is a weak girl, she will be a toy in the hands of boyars. I ask you only for support in protecting the Russian Tsardom. »

In the following hours the Royal Council was forced to announce a new government form of the Russian Tsardom. Gernislava, a wife of dead Tsar, became a Queen Regent for her youngest son Pyotr, but she had no real power. Sofia Romanov was approved as an Acting Regent (Protector). All power belonged to the House of Romanov. That was a real palace coup….

05-Baltic-1618.jpg

Sofia was from noble House of Romanov. Her distant ancestors ruled Denmark in XII century, before the kingdom collapsed in the end of XV century (Jylland, Slesvig, Fyn). In the middle of XVI century Mecklenburg conquest the Land of Denmark and House of Romanov left the country. Refugees from Denmark settled in the Baltic Sea Region inside the Republic of Osel. After the Prussia-Mecklenburg war (1611-1618) the lands of Livonia were ceded to Russia. House of Romanov admitted the dominance of the Russian Tsardom, so Dmitry I Meri appointed the Romanovs as provincial governors. Some of them were invited to join the Royal Court. Sofia’s father Michail Romanov was one of them. He became an influential courtier and took a post as the trade envoy in Lubeck.
Strength of Mecklenburg. 1630s

Sofia was born in Wenden in 1609. Twelve years later the father sent her in Lubeck to teach mercantilism and the art of diplomacy in the state university of Mecklenburg. At that time Mecklenburg was a highly powerful kingdom in the Baltic Sea region. After the death of childness England’s King, Great Britain has been ruled by the King of Mecklenburg as a Junior Partner. Sofia graduated as a high-skilled diplomat in 1640. All courtiers and Tsar Dmitry I Meri recognized her deep knowledge in the Western foreign affairs.
08-Court-of-Ivan.jpg
Dmitry I Meri died on February 2, 1643. He was focused on the East and the South, and slightly neglected foreign relations with the western countries. Russia only maintained military alliance with Kingdom of Prussia, which has greatly expanded with Russian support. Prussia conquered the lands of Poland, Lithuania, Osel and Finland. After the death of Dmitry I Meri, his son Ivan IV Meri appointed Oleg von Lascy as Chancellor. Oleg von Lascy favored Sofia.

Lithuania, vassal of Russia

Oleg von Lascy sent Sofia to Lithuania with an important diplomatic mission. The most part of the lithuanian lands went to Prussia, and Lithuania was afraid of its aggressive neighbor. Sofia arrived in Vilna and persuaded the Duke to become a vassal of Russia. Treaty of Vilna was signed on June 9,1648. Ivan IV Meri didn’t live long, he died in 1655. His wife Gernava became a Queen Regent for her son Aleksey. Oleg von Lascy was an old friend of the Queen Regent. So, Sofia got a further promotion successfully.

12-Swedish-rebellion.jpg

In the mid50s the Swedish noblemen upraised against Poland. Oleg von Lascy decided to send Sofia in Sweden for negotiation with the separatists. The mission was extremely successful: Sweden declared independence from Poland and became loyal to Russia. More than 400 years of polish oppression has come to the end, the Swedish got their own national government. Sofia was generously rewarded by the Queen Regent and became the first women, who has ever taken place in the Royal Council.
11-Sweden.jpg

In 1661 Aleksey came of ages and became Tsar of the Russian Tsardom. He disliked Sofia and secretly want to get rid of her. He had planned to reform Russia. Despite military strength and outstanding territorial expansion, Russia remained a technological backward country. A growing lag in administrative, diplomatic and what’s worse, military technology threatened the Tsardom. Rusia had no colony, no university and no strong fleet. Aleksey had ambitious plans, but Black Cannon incident has ruined everything… His reign might be glorious!

Ivan Romadanovsky. General

After the death of Aleksey in 1666, Sofia Romanov usurped the power during the Night July Coup. The First Imperial army of 30 000 men led by Romadanovsky entered the capital and forced the Royal Council to announce Sofia as an Acting Regent. She met with Romadanovsky during her journey to Karabakh. They fell in love and became secret lovers.
14-Policy-1672.jpg

At first, Sofia successfully ended the Second Russian-Ming War (1660-1665) and Russia got access to the Pacific, conquering coastal provinces. According to the Treaty of Nanking (25.05.1665) the Ming paid large contribution to Russia; with that money a lot of weapon manufactories were built throughout the country. Sofia agreed on the establishment of Monopoly company over certain sectors of the economy (mainly, Salt trade). State income increased by 12%. The government of Sofia was unstable, many noblemen in the country were dissatisfied with the palace coup, so Sofia tried to avoid big wars. King of Prussia provoked another war between Mecklenburg, Osel and Prussia in 1672. Russia stayed neutral toward ongoing war. Some of the advisors proposed to invade Astrakhan, but Sofia rejected their proposals because of the strength of Calmandanas, an ally of Astrakhan. That was a powerful Asian state allied with many countries in the region.
Ashikaga run Korea

But she had to go to another war on the Fae East in 1670. Shogun of Ashikaga invaded the Korean peninsula, calling other members of the North Asian Alliance into the war with the Ming. The Chinese Empire had been collapsing for the last 20 years, so the war ended with the victory of the Alliance.

03-Sophia-Alekseyevna-of-Russia.jpg

Sofia died of plague in on February 20, 1675. After a short period Pyotr I Meri came of ages and became a new Tsar. He recognized Sofia’s services for the Tsardom, and she was buried with honor and respect near the Kremlin. Next chapters, you will see the history of Pyotr I from the House of Meri. Great monarch who has changed the course of the Russian history by creating modern society, government, army and fleet. Make sure you ‘ve subscribed!
Peter-I-Meri.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter VI. Early Years of Pyotr the Great (1675-1697)
7th July Palace Coup. Sofia usurped the thronee

Pyotr was the only legitimate heir to the throne of the Russian Tsardom. His father Aleksey I Meri tragically died in 1663 when Pyotr was 3 years old. After the «7th July Palace Coup», Sofia Romanov has usurped the power, removing Queen Anastasia, mother of Pyotr, from the succession. Minor royal court of Anastasia went to Nizhniy Novgorod, a strong fortress and major trade node on the Volga River. Pyotr spent his childhood on the banks of the Volga.
The Map of 1681

Nizhniy Novgorod located in the north-east part of the realm on the trade route from Siberia to Kazan and further Novgorod. The Russian merchants were transferring trade value from the Far East to the West through the trade nodes of Siberia, Kazan, Nizhniy Novgorod to Novgorod. Young Pyotr often talked to traders and listened to the stories of many merchants and travels. He listened to the infringement of the Russian trade in Astrakhan. Muslim state of Astrakhan separated from Mordvinia due to the Russian pressure. So, Astrakhan had been loyal to Russia for a long time, but it sided with the hostile military alliance of Calmandanas in the middle of XVII century.

03-Calmadanas.jpg

Mongol Invasion in Persia occurred in 1215, and that was last successful military campaign of the Great Horde. After death of Juchi, Mongol Empire ceased to exist. Territories of the former Mongol Empire were separated among numerous small tribes and hordes. Calmandanas was one of them. Khans of Calmandanas could conquer Samarkand, a major trade node in the Middle Asia, located on the Great Silk Route. In the curse of time Calmandanas has become a powerful state in Asia. Fall of Persia benefited Calmandanas at the turn of XVII century. Calmandanas gained control over Astrachan and Lanikaz, who were seeking for military support against expanding the Russian Tsardom. Consequently, strong military coalition against Russia was formed at the end of XVII century.
04-Trade.jpg

During the so-called “Silent Ages” rulers of Russia were afraid of Calmandanas and avoided attacking Astrachan and Lanikaz. That constrained economic development of the realm, and the Russian traders were humiliated Astrachan and Samarkand. Lanikaz was full of iron and copper deposits, valuable natural resources needed for growing metallurgy industry of Russia. Calmandanas stayed on the path of the Russian economic expansion. Young Pyotr was aware of these problems in trade and production, associated with Calmandanas. Influential traders and manufacturers were unhappy with the neglect of the Middle Asia. Wasting military campaigns, conducted on the Far East did not benefit real economy, draining royal coffers and increasing tax burden on the population. China was thousands of miles away from the centers of trade and production: triangle of Tver, Vladimir and Nizhniy Novgorod.

Battle-streltsy.jpg

Under the pressure of Burgers, Sofia’s government prepared for war against Lanikaz. Sofia declared war, but she died of plague five months later. Pyotr I Meri supported these plans and the war continued. Untrained and poor armed Russian armies suffered defeated from Lanikaz and its ally Calmandanas. In the winter of 1679 enemy forces occupied Kazan, Perm, half of the Ural region and even besieged Nizhniy Novgorod. The Russian armies suffered heavy causalities and retreated to Vladimir. Russia had a great lag in military technologies (5 levels!), so the Russian troops were weak on the battlefields. The war ended in 1680 and Russia was forced to pay contribution and return all occupied provinces. The defeat shocked all Social Estates of the Russian Tsardom.

01-Administrative-reforms.jpg

After losing the war, Pyotr I Meri initiated a set of important reforms to modernize army and government. Military training, investment in military technology, construction of fortresses, education of Nobles. On May 10, 1683 the Russian army got a new model of musket, raising infantry combatability. In the end of 1684 army professionalism crossed level of 50% and Standard Uniform was invented in Russia. Reform efforts have borne fruit.
05-Victory-1688.jpg

The second attempt to challenge the South Alliance was taken in 1685. The Russian troops again crossed the borders of Lanikaz and Calmandanas. Despite better quality of arms, cannons and supply, the Russian infantry was still undisciplined. Lanikaz defeated the Russian army in the first border battles. But in the following months outnumbered the Russian troops invaded Siberia and Lanikaz was forced to admit defeat. According to the Treaty of Kipchak (1688), Russia seized valuable provinces, which were rich of copper and iron. That was the first victory of new petrine army. During the war Alexandr Menshikov, Boris Dolgoruky, Boris Sheremetev joined the Russian general corpus. The decision of Pyotr I Meri to invest in quality has made the army seem more impressive and attractive in the eyes of nobles.
The First Astrachan campaign. 1682

Pyotr I Meri was targeting Astrachan, an important trade node on the South. Astrachan was under protection of Calmandanas, so Pyotr avoided direct assault. From 1681 to 1683 the Russian Tsardom invaded Imereti, a last independent state on the Caucuses, which was out of the Russian sphere of influence. Imereti was annexed and transferred to Georgia. Pyotr I Meri decided to grant Georgia independence and concluded military alliance to protect the country. When Astrakhan attacked Georgia, the Russian forces came to the rescue and quickly occupied Astrakhan. But envoys of Calmandanas warned Russia not to annex the state.
07-Assault.jpg

Time for strength test for the Russian army came in 1692. Grand South Coalition of Calmandanas, Kurdistan, Gurids, and Gunib assaulted Georgia and Russia entered the war. Outnumbered enemy armies flooded the Caucasus and Minor Asia, because Allepo allied with Georgia. The Russian troops of 100 000 men marched toward Samarkand to fight the strongest enemy – Calmandanas. The main battles occurred in the steppes of Kipchak region. Alexandr Menshikov led troops into the battle of Alty-Kuduck (February 2, 1694). General Alexandr Menshikov could smashed enemy army, allowing the russian troops enter Samarkand. Calmandanas capitulated in the summer of 1695, while the Georgian lands were almost entirely occupied by enemy forces of Gurid and Gunib.

Battle of Alty-Kuduck (February 2, 1694)

One Russian army led by Alexandr Menshikov moved from the North, besieging fortresses one by one. Another army under the command of Aleksey Meri, Pyotr’s son and heir to the throne, entered Georgia from the West. Aleksey defeated the army of Gunib in the battle of Odishi (June 13, 1697). Hostile Alliance was defeated by the end of the year. Calmandanas ceded some provinces to Russia, while Gurid and Gunib paid a heavy fine of 2 000 ducats. That was the triumph of new Russia.
At the turn of XVIII century

Lagging five levels behind is indeed dangerous, good thing reform is ongoing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter VII. Grand Embassy of Peter the Great (1697 – 1698)
0-Embassy.jpg

After the victory, Peter I Meri wanted to travel through Europe. He appointed hi son Aleksey as a Regent and left country on March 1, 1697. Because of piracy on the Baltic Sea, inspired by the republic of Osel, Pyotr I Meri decided to travel by land. Russia had no fleet on the Baltic Sea except some outdated galleys. In 1697 and 1698, Peter I Meri embarked on his Grand Embassy.
02-Prussia.jpg

Kingdom of Prussia was the first country, Pyotr I Meri visited. He renewed a military alliance with Prussia, targeting Mecklenburg and its allies on the Baltic Sea. Secret agreement consisted also measures against Poland, a falling state of Europe of the 17th century. Pyotr I Meri examined the Prussian troops; they were famous of discipline and training. Pyotr I Meri spent three months at the court of Prussia’s King and further went to Mecklenburg.
03-Mecklenburg.jpg

Mecklenburg was a powerful state located on the North-East corner of Europe. After the collapse of Lithuania in XIII century, noblemen of Mecklenburg created its won duchy. In the following centuries Mecklenburg subjugated other North German states like Lubeck, Jylland, Brandeburg and Saxony. Long-standing rivalry with Waldeberg, a norse duchy, ended with the victory of Mecklenburg. People of Mecklenburg confessed the eastern branch of Christianity. It looked as if Mecklenburg aimed at the unification of the German lands. Prussia, Greater Bavaria and Bohemia restricted expansion of Mecklenburg. The Russian Tsardom was behind this anti-Mecklenburg alliance.
04-GB.jpg

Pyotr I Meri didn’t stay long in Mecklenburg and sailed to Great Britain. Great Britain was the most industrious and economically developed country in the 17th Europe. Riches of North America and colonies in the Caribbean nourished the wealth of the British nation. King of England also owned provinces on the continent, conquered Normandy from West France and inherited holdings n the North Germany. Grand navy, disciplined infantry, modern industry – all of these amazed Pyotr I Meri. He proposed a military alliance and trade agreement, but the King of England preferred to remain neutral.
05-Papal-State.jpg

Grand Embassy shipped further to Papal State. Pyotr I Meri visited the graves of the Russian soldiers fallen during the Holly Legue Wars (1572-1604). West France conquered vast territories in the first half of XVI century. Norse pagans dominated France, Flanders and Rhein region, threatening catholic states of Europe. Coalition of pagan states of West France, Flanders, Waldeberg and Lombardy had military power and wealth. Papal state, Great Britain, Mecklenburg and Greater Bavaria formed Holy League. They persuaded Elizabeth I Meri to join Holy League and provide for military support. After the ferocious wars of Holy League West France and norse allies were defeated, territory of West France was partitioned between Papal state and Great Britain. Catholic Europe owes much to Russia…
Rome-17.jpg

From Normandy Pyotr I Meri went to Italy to talk with the Pope. The Pope welcomed Pyotr I Meri and gave a guided tour to Rome. Pyotr spent all summer of 1697, travelling the Apennines. He was in Sicily and met the King of Italy. Italy became independent from the Byzantine Empire in the same time, Russia conquered the Pontic region. Pyotr and Rodrigo became friends, they both regretted the passing of the once-great Roman Empire. It is interesting that Russia became a Papal Controller five years later in 1702.
06-Bavaria.jpg

In September 1697 Pyotr I Meri went to Greater Bavaria, the only reformed country which has defended independence. Permanent wars with West France, Mecklenburg, Lombardy tempered the peoples of Bavaria. New Faith gave them strength. Pyotr I Meri decided to hire officers, military advisers and craftsmen. Poland was a falling state, the King had no power and polish magnates regularly upraised and pillaged the country. Russia, Prussia and Bohemia agreed on the partition of Poland. Pyotr returned to Russia in November 1697.
10-St-Petersburg.jpg

After the journey on the Apennines Pyotr I Meri decided to found a new capital. He was inspired of arts, architecture and culture of Italy. He loved Rome and desired to own such beautiful city in his own realm. Tsar Pyotr I Meri declared the establishment of new capital on May 26, 1701. Mew city had to be built at the mouth of Neva River. Direct access to the Baltic Sea provided for advantages for the Russian trade and navy. The city was renamed Saint-Petersburg.:)
08-St-Petersburg.jpg

Attachments

• America.jpg
    America.jpg
    316,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Middle Asia.jpg
    Middle Asia.jpg
    363,1 KB · Views: 0
  • SouthAmerica.jpg
    SouthAmerica.jpg
    331,3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This Europe is so fascinating. :)

Chapter VIII. Pyotr I Great and Aleksey II Meri (1702 – 1732)
01-Petrine-Infantry.jpg

Pyotr I Meri had to leave his new capital and go to the South. Permanent provocations and embargo on trade had led to another war with Calmandanas. While Pyotr was travelling Europe, his son Aleksey was training infantry in the military camps, located along the border with Calmandanas. By the outbeak of the war, Russia got a new regimental unit – Petrine Infantry, well trained and armed soldiers. The First Russian army of 120 000 men crossed the enemy border in the Volga region, while the Second Russian army of 50 000 men assaulted Lanikaz from the North.
02-South-war.jpg

Pyotr I Meri was a brilliant military strategist. He trapped the enemy. At the first stage of the war the Russian forces quickly occupied the western regions of Calmandanas and Siberia (Lanikaz). Predictably, Calmandanas’s forces marched toward the Russians. However, Pyotr avoided a decisive battle while gathering reinforcements. The Russian armies retreated to the Ural, enemy army rushed on the west, liberating their own provinces. Pyotr attacked when enemy was dogged down in fortresses sieges. The Russian forces divided the armies of Calmandanas in two, defeated enemy separately. Forces from Siberia joined the main Army Group and consolidated troops marched back toward Russia.
03-Siege.jpg

In the battle beneath the walls of Nizhniy Novgorod the Russian army defeated the forces of Calmandanas. Next months Pyotr I Meri liberated occupied lands and lifted hostile sieges. Unfortunately, enemy manage to capture and pillage Moscow. Aleksey Meri caught up retreating enemy and smashed them in the battle of Kursk.

04-Astrachan.jpg

The victorious troops of Pyotr I Meri further invaded Calmandanas and occupied half of the country. Peace agreement was signed in Samarkand: Lanikaz ceded some provinces to Russia, while Calmandanas lost provinces in the Volga region and paid huge contribution. The Russian traders received the privilege to transfer goods from the trade nods of Samarkand and Siberia. The Russian Tsardom also conquered the lands of Astrachan, Aleksey Meri entered the city and claimed Astrakhan as a part of the Russian Empire. Astrachan was finally annexed 10 years later in 1729.

05-Aleksey-II.jpg

The Great South War lasted from 1675 until 1709 (24 years!). An entire generation has grown in fighting and struggle. Pyotr I Meri earned the nickname «Great». He defeated such a strong enemy as Calmandanas, completing the Russian missions: conquest of Kazan and Astrachan. His son Aleksey Meri became a competent general and skilled administrator. Pyotr I Great died of stomach ulcer in 1710, Aleksey II Meri succeeded to the throne of Russia. Pyotr I Great left the counntry strong and powerful, but exhausted of the endless wars and struggle.

Ulrika Horn, Princess of Russia

Aleksey II Meri reigned for 20 years (1710-1730), he continued the policy of his father of territorial expansion, trade protection and westernization. However, they never agreed on the foreign policy toward Prussia. Aleksey married a daughter of the Swedish king, Ulrika Horn. She was a young charismatic woman who managed to persuade Aleksey to start a war with Prussia. The Russian forces successfully fought in the battles in East Prussia and Bohemia.
07-Battle-of-Konigsberg.jpg

In the 1700s the Kingdom of Prussia defeated Mecklenburg conquering a lot of lands in the North Germany. The Prussian forces landed Scandinavia and constructed the fortresses near the Russian capital – Saint-Petersburg. Russia won The First Prussian war (1710-1714) and returned some provinces to Sweden. Battle-hardened and growing accustomed to fighting the troops of Calmandanas, the Russian forces were highly-trained and well-armed soldiers. But there will be fierce battles ahead.
10-Manchuria.jpg

In the 1720s the Russian Empire had completed its conquest of the Far East (Kamchatka). The Ming had totally lost its status of the Great power, replaced by Manchuria. The North Asian Alliance collapsed in 1722 because if the tensions between Manchuria and Ashikaga on the Korean peninsula. And former allies (Russia, Manchuria and Ashikaga) have become irreconcilable enemies in the 18th century. In the end of Aleksey’s reign Russia was assaulted by Manchuria (1728-1733). The war ended up in White Peace, but Russia lost over than 200 000 men in the battles. The Russian Empire was surrounded by enemies: Prussia on the West, Calmandanas on the South and Manchuria on the Far East. World witnessed the rise of Prussia in Europe and Manchuria in Asia, and Russia was between them…
09-Prussia-1733.jpg

Aleksey II Meri died on July 2, 1733. His son Pyotr II Meri, the eighteen-year-old boy, suceeded to the throne of the Russian Empire. He was lively young man, who was obseseed with pleasure. But in the comming years, he will face decisive challanges and upheavals. The Russian Empire had to go through shame, defeat, hope and despair to establish itself as a Great power of the XVIII century.

Chapter IX. Monetary reforms of Vseslav Wittgenstein (1735 – 1740)
01-Vseslaw-Wigenstein.jpg

Vseslav Wittgenstein was born in 1670. His family moved from Prussia to Russia, when he was 10 years old (1680). Vseslav got an excellent home education and he could go to the first Russian University in Tver. Vseslav graduated from the university as a military engineer in 1690. In the beginning of the 1690s the Great South War started, so Vseslav was conscripted in an active army. During the war, he served under the command of general Alexandr Menshikov. His military service was excellent and Menshikov promoted him to high officer position.
02-Saint-Petersburg.jpg

Pyotr I Meri noticed a young perspective officer and took Vseslav Wittgenstein in the Grand Embassy (1697-1698). Vseslav stayed in London to hire high-class specialists in fleet construction, military training and logistics, natural science. After the Grand Embassy, Vseslav Wittgenstein was appointed as Chief Treasurer in city council of Saint-Petersburg (1702-1712). He was organizing the finance of vast construction activities in a new born capital of Russia. Vseslav Wittgenstein has become one of the authors of Mercantilist Reform (1702), aimed at the protection of national trade. During his service, Saint-Petersburg had become a highly developed city and major trade node on the Baltic Sea.
03-Battle-of-Konigsberg.jpg

Vseslav Wittgenstein returned to his home country during the First Prussian War (1710-1714). He was in charge of a regiment in the battle of Konigsberg. The battle was extremely bloody and Vseslav was seriously injured. Up to the end of war he was treated in a hospital near Minsk. Russia won the first war with Prussia and seized some provinces in Livonia. Sweden, an ally of Russia, returned a lot of core provinces. Ulrika de Horn, a wife of Aleksey II Meri, was happy to help her home country and father. She convinced the Russian Tsar to attack Prussia.
04-The-Enlightenment.jpg

Aleksey II Meri (reign from 1710 to 1734), son of dead Peter I Great, appointed Vseslav Wittgenstein a Head of High Construction Committee. Vseslaw supervised an ambitious plan of universities building through out the Russian Empire. Dozens of universities were built to accelerate institutional spread of Enlightenment. Aleksey II Meri died and his son Pyotr II Meri ascended the throne. Young 18-years-old boy needed a wise adviser in finance, so Vseslav Wittgenstein joined the Royal Council in 1734. The Great South War (1692-1710), the First Prussian War (1710-1714) and the Manchurian War (1728-1733) had exhausted royal coffers. The Russian Treasure had five loans at the rate of 5%, causing large budget deficit.
05-The-riot-of-1717.jpg

The riot of 1717

Government had limited opportunities to raise taxes because of the recent large uprising. Almost 30 000 armed citizens and peasants upraised in Saint-Petersburg during January 1717. Next months uprisings broke out in Tver, Moscow, Vladimir and Yaroslavl. That was a people’s upheaval against the imperial government because of the highly increased tax burden and recruiting during endless military conflicts. Regular army was suppressing the rebellion from January to October 1717, thousands of men were executed, imprisoned and expelled during the rebellion. That was a minor civil war in the heart of the Russian Empire. So Vseslav Wittgenstein presented to the Tsar alternative plan of financial recovery.

06-Pyotr-II.jpg
«Your Majesty,

Government should grant preferences to powerful merchants; they will land money to the government at the modest rate of 1%. In such a way we can refinance the government debts at a lower cost and keep budget deficit. Government could also debase currency: that will increase corruption but get more than 1 000 ducats. Another measure is to sell titles, crown lands to nobility, burgers and clergy. That will bring 1 500 ducats. We should conduct a modest budgetary policy – keep military spending

07-Income-Chart.jpg

The Second Prussian War (1737-1740) had depleted the treasury by enhancing military spending and paying contribution (Russia lost the war). Government was in need of money for army maintenance, fleet modernization and construction of defensive structures. Despite of high income from trade and production, Pyotr II Meri had always shortage of money. Burgers were reluctant to lend funds again, so Vseslav Wittgenstein turned to Nobility. Noblemen were interested in monopoly licenses. Early government had avoided emission of monopoly licenses because of its negative social consequences. But now, time has come.
09-Monopoly-Demidovs.jpg

At the first stage, Vseslav Wittgenstein organized auctions for Livestock Monopoly, that brought more than 1 000 ducats. Then, monopoly of Naval Supply was granted to powerful noble families. Nobility was waiting for monopoly for Iron and Copper mining. Budget deficit reached a threating level, and the government had to grant mining monopoly. The House of Demidov won the auction paying more than 3 000 ducats. The Demidovs found success through metal products, and were entered into the European nobility. Government could repay debts and restore financial stability. Vseslav Wittgenstein was awarded by Pyotr II Meri, the Tsar granted him a land plot near Saint-Petersburg and pension. Because of ages Vseslav Wittgenstein let royal service, he died in 1744.
The Western part of the Russian Empire. 1740s

Chapter X. Russia-Prussia relations
The Prussian Nobility recognized the superiority of the Lithunian King

In ancient times, this land was populated by the Prussians, who frequently invaded richer lands, such as Poland and Lithuania. In the course of time kingdom of Lithuania conquered the coast of Baltic sea, establishing itself as a great power in the Eastern Europe. Duchy of Prussia had become a powerful vassal of the Lithuanian king, uprising from time to time against the throne. Long-time rivalry between Russia and Lithuania ended with the victory of the Russian Tsardom. Lithuania has collapsed and has been divided between neighboring countries.
01-Prussia.jpg

Duchy of Prussia gained independence from Lithuania in 1407, when Russia finally defeated its rival. Tsar Alexandr I Meri (1379-1434) granted the title to Mstislav from the Noble House of Rurikid. The Ruricks had ruled Gardariki, a viking kingdom on the North-East. Mstislav was betrothed to Alexandr’s daughter in order to establish strong relations between two kingdoms.
03-Prussia-1576.jpg

Russia has been guarantying the independence of Prussia in the following decades. Dukes of Prussia followed a policy of neutrality - borders of Prussia were stable. In the beginning of XVI century Russia defeated Poland, some provinces were incorporated to Prussia. That was a gift of the Russian Tsar. In the end of XVI century the House of Rurick was over throned by Prussian nobles. New rulers followed more agressive policy on the East, conquering former lands of Lithuania, Poland and Republic of Osel.
04-Prussia-1607.jpg

Duchy of Prussia has become a kingdom at the turn of XVII century. Dmitry I Meri (1613-1646) favored Prussia, providing military assistance, offering weapons and military support to the Prussian forces opposing Mecklenburg. He was engaged in hostilities with the Ming on the Far East and needed a faithful ally on the West. During the war with Republic of Osel (1612 -1614) the Russian Tsardom and Kingdom of Prussia has partitioned the Baltic provinces. Their frendship was stronger than ever.
Battle of Sieradz, decisive batlle in the Prussian-Mecklenburg war

During the XVII century Prussia and Mecklenburg were fighting each other over the dominance on the Baltic Sea. Poland was failing, Russia was colonizing the Far East and two great German states were seizing power. In the battle of Sieradz (1687) the Prussian forces defeated Mecklenburg and Prussia got very ahead. Later Prussia defeated Finland and landed in Scandinavia, establishing a set of fortresses. Pyotr I Meri (1676-1710) was too busy fighting in the Great South War (1692-1709) to pay attention to the aggressive expansion of Prussia. Mecklenburg seemed a bit dangerouse, so Pyotr the Great renewed a millitary alliance with Prussia.
Kingdom of Prussia in the beginning of XVIII century

Sweden feuded with Prussia, because Prussia conquered cored provinces of Sweden. Swedish influence in Russia was growing due to the marriage between Ulrika de Horn and Aleksey II Meri (1710-1733). Ulrika persuaded Aleksey II Meri to declare war on Prussia to reclaim the Swedish provinces. The veteran Russians defeated the Prussian forces (1710-1714), while the Russian fleet scored the victory on the Baltic Sea. Naval battle took place on 5 July 1711 in the waters of Rigan Bay. Imperial Russian Navy led by Boris Sheremetev could sink the entire fleet of Prussia. The Russian infantry stormed enemy’s capital, winning the war. The Russian Empire was dominating the Baltic Sea for a while.
07-Gulf-of-Riga.jpg

Pyotr II Meri (1733-1784) came to the throne of Russia in 1733, when he was only 18 years old. Young monarch had a greed for battles and victories. Three years later his mother Ulrika de Horn persuaded him to attack Prussia again. Initial military success failed and the Russian forces suffered heavy casualties, losing battles one by one. In the battle of Latgalia, occurred on 11 March 1738, Russia lost more than 40 000 men. Morale of the Prussian forces was at least twice as large as the Russian one. Saint-Petersburg was besieged and repeated attacked for several months by the troops of Prussia. Enemy failed to capture the town but Pyotr II Meri as forced to surrender. The Russian Empire has paid contribution for the first time in its modern history. That was a terrible shame of our country….
Zenith of Prussia. 1740s

In the 1740s Prussia continued to expand, defeating Mecklenburg and Great Britain. The British King Henry IX Sigurdson wanted to seize the north German lands such Hannover. He attacked Prussian and suffered devastating defeat. The British Expeditionary Force led by Adolphus Essex was crushed in the battle of Inowroclaw, losing more than 70 000 men. Great Britain lost its provinces in the region of Hannover.
Triple Alliance of Bohemia, Bavaria and Russia

Russia wanted revenge and entered into a triple alliance with Bohemia and Greater Bavaria with the object of defeating Prussia. Prussia was surrounded by enemies. Strong alliance was formed to stop expansion of Prussian King. The Third Prussian war started on 21 May 1766, allies were superior in numbers - 650 000 men versus 400 000 men. The Russian troops invaded the Eastern Prussia and Finland, while Bohemia and Bavaria attacked the western part of Prussia and Papal state, an ally of Prussia. In a series of bloody battles Russia could defeat the Prussian forces and occupied the most part of country. Enemy general Daniil von Rauch fought bravely to defend his beloved home, but Prussia was overcome. Prussia ceded the finish provinces to Russia and recaptured the Swedish provinces. Sweden joined the Alliance in the end of war.
Fall of Constantinople.

Pyotr II Meri died after a fifty-year-long rule and his son Alexandr I Meri (1784-1833) succeeded the throne in 1784. New Tsar suddenly decided to invade the Balkans to conquer former lands of the Byzantine Empire. The Russian troops easily destroyed Wallachia and captured Constantinople. The Russian flag was raised to mark the Imperial dominance on the Black Sea. Alexandr I Meri was encouraged by the military and diplomatic success and continued territorial expansion. Two years later Poland was finally annexed by Russia, once powerful kingdom ceased to exist.
Battle of Erfurt

After a decade of peace Russia was able to take revenge again. By the end of 1786, the Triple Alliance was on the offensive. Bohemia, Bavaria and Russia most wanted to sink Prussia. The Fourth Prussian war broke out in October 1786, when the Russian troops besieged Riga. The Russian troops quicly occupied the territory of Prussia and marched toward Papal state to take only ally of Prussia out of play. In the battle of Erfurt Konstantin Chernigovetz destroyed enemy army of 35 000 men, that was sent to help Prussia.
05-Battle-of-Kainuu.jpg

Major battle occurred near the finish town of Kainuu, where Alexandr Suvorov did stand against the Prussian army led by Ingvar von Merckatz. The Russian army of more than 300 000 men defeated 150 000-string enemy army and liberated Scandinavia in the following months. The decisive battle between Russian and Prussian forces took place near town of Helsingfors on 1 March, 1789. The allied Army of Bohemia and Russia won a complete victory, Prussian troops retreated to Abo, a local fortress in Finland. Enemy lost all artillery and was routed up to end of year.
The forces of Bohemia and Russia defeated enemy army

Russian victory resulted in the expansion of the Russian Empire over the whole of Scandinavia. Saint-Petersburg was safe and Riga was transferred to Russia after winning the war. But Prussia was not completely defeated. While Russia was fighting Manchuria and suppressing internal unrest, Prussia managed to strengthen in the coming years, conquering Sweden and Denmark. Prussia continued to be a great power, ranking fourth in international trade and military strength. Two great powers will compete in the XIX century. Who knows, who the winner will be...
Prussia in the end of the 1820s

Last edited:
Chapter XI. Freedoms and Rights. The End.
leviathin.jpg

From the beginning Russia has been ruled by the House of Meri. There were Chiefdoms and Dukes in Dark Ages. Following foundation of the Medieval Russian Empire the members of Meri’s House have declared themselves as Tsars (the Greek name of Caesar). Russia could have become a republic in the late XVII century. After the tragic death of Aleksey I Meri some members of Royal Court proposed for the adoption of Parliament. Powerful noblemen wanted to restrict tsarist authorities by establishing a representative body of power. Parliament had to consist of only two estates: Nobility and Clergy. Sofia Romanov carried out the coup on July 1666, she managed to usurp power and terminate any attempts to restrict monarchy. Sofia became an Acting Regent and ruled like natural Queen Regent. She relied purely on the support of Russian guard (strelsy) led by Romadanovsky. That was some sort of military dictatorship.
Pyotr I Meri was proclaimed Emperor on June 20, 1709

After winning the Great South War (1692-1710) Peter I Great took the title of Emperor (in the western sense). The Russian Empire has become Absolute Monarchy ruled by one Imperial House. Pyotr I Meri and his son Aleksey II Meri regained prestige of the Imperial House. However, unsuccessful reign of Pyotr II Meri again questioned the notion of absolutism, unrestricted reign of one noble house over entire country. Russia lost the wars with Prussia and Manchuria, and Tsar became subject to criticism from outside the Court. The first hostile publications have begun to circulate in the cities of Russia in the 1750s. The authors criticized the Tsar for pleasure, waste of money and defeat in war. They didn’t want to overthrow the monarchy but demanded a written constitution and a parliament.
Hostile publications, 1750s

Long the 50-years reign of Pyotr II Meri ended in 1784. Young Tsar Alexandr I Meri succeeded the throne of the Russian Empire. His figure provoked dreams of liberty after tough and oppressive reign of his father. He enacted some sort of liberal reforms, giving more autonomy to regional governments, changing judicial system and diminishing the terms of military service. Old system of sectoral authorities – collegiums was replaced by modern ministers. Royal Court was reorganized in to Cabinet of Ministers.

01-Liberal-Legislation.jpg

After winning the 4th Prussian War, liberal reforms began to deteriorate. Alexandr I Meri was losing interest in internal affairs and indulging in foreign policy. The Russian Empire conquered former lands of once-great Byzantine Empire and Constantinople was captured by the Russian troops on January 11, 1785. Next year Poland was annexed and Prussia ceded last provinces in Finland. Alexandr I Meri provisioned an ambitious expedition to the Pacific Ocean. The Ming was finally defeated and Russia seized rich colonies in Oceania, Micronesia, Hawaii and Midway. Russia got long-awaited colonies, so the dreams of Dmitry I Meri have been fulfilled. Russia has joined the ranks of countries, that had colonies on the turn of XIX century.
The Russian Empire gained colonies in the Pacific ocean

Tsar was inspired by millitary and diplomatic success, and he didn’t want to hear about any political easing. And eventually a delegation of noblemen, burgers and officers appealed to Tsar to pass the law, allowing public meetings and clubs of interests. Alexandr I Meri was furious when he heard about that. He brutally ordered to imprison the members of delegation. Some of the arrested officers were from an Imperial Guard regiment located in Vilno. Guardsmen rioted when they were informed that their officers were arrested and imprisoned. Solders from other regiments joined the Vilno’s regiment and the rebellion broke out. Rebels stormed the city fortress and disarmed garrison.
decembrist.jpg

Alexandr I Meri ordered Paavo Apraxine to suppress the rebellion. General moved to Vilno and encircled the city, cutting off supplies of food and arms. Paavo Apraxine was not sure about the loyalty of his troops, so he decided to negotiate with the rebellious regiments on behalf of the Tsar. Rebels demanded that the arrested officers were sent free. Tsar rejected and loyal troops attacked the city. Uprising was harshly suppressed, resulting in the killing of thousands solders and adjoined to them. Vilno was pillaged, thousands of men were executed. Horrendous massacre has shocked the nation, and royal reputation has ruined. Extrajudicial killing of the veterans and ordinary town residents tarnished the image of Alexandr I Meri. The Russian guard had come to hate Tsar…
02-Vilno-Uprising2.jpg

In the 1800s Russia was engaged in another war with Manchuria. The Russian armies of 300 000 men crossed the eastern borders and invaded the Manchurian lands. In previous decades Manchuria subjugated the Ming and has become a dominant power in Asia. The Manchurian army was strong, high-trained and disciplined. Unlike the Russians, army of Manchuria had higher morale (10 vs 8). Alexandr I Meri was the most hated figure in army, so soldiers and officers didn’t want to fight for Tsar. Despite of some victorious land and naval battles, Russia lost the war, ceding Chita and Angara to Manchuria.
Officers.jpg

After losing the war a major uprising broke out in the Russian Empire. Members of secret societies were preparing to overthrow Tsar and establish a Republic. Hopefully, Alexandr’s secret policy have been effective and uncovered a plot against the Crown in the capital. Key leaders were imprisoned and executed. However, they managed to alert other conspirators. Five regiments of 51 000 men upraised in Pskov on March 5, 1807. Rebels easily got control over the town and started marching toward the capital. That was a sign for national unrest!
03-Map-of-1807.jpg

Dozens of envoys were going to agitate the liberty throughout the country. Rebels made a proclamation: they promised to overthrow the Crown and establish democracy. Rebels were successful in their assault and they took asset of cities. Soon Nichny Novgorod and Vladimir turned against Tsar. In the following months other cities rebelled (Yaroslavl, Tver and Ekaterinburg). Rebels took manufactories, barracks and military camps. They called to join in the fight against tyranny! Tsar Alexandr was struck by the rebellion but his spirits were still up. Imperial Guard remained faithful to their oaths and didn’t follow the rebellion. They hated crime and rebellion. Tsar controlled the capital and called for the troops, returning from Manchuria. The most part of rebels were garrison troops, so they didn’t take part in the last war. The Russian acting army regarded them as traitors.
Execution.jpg

From March 1807 to July 1808 russians were killing russians. Disagreement among insurgents ended in failure. Separate rebellious armies didn’t coordinate actions, competing each other. Enlightened officers and commanders were becoming warlords. They might be more despotic than Tsar. Democracy will turn into military dictatorship, so burgers and clergy turned against them and supported monarchy. Within 15 months the revolution was suppressed.
Alexandr I Meri, 1820s
The Epilogue

In the Middle Ages kings opposed powerful vassals and disloyal courtiers, common people were silent. In Early Modern period kings had to balance between social estates, granting lands, monopoly rights and trade privileges. Peasant uprising were quickly suppressed by the regular army. However, from the 1750s educated people from different social estates began to demand representation. Endless wars resulted in high taxes, devastation, financial crisis and falling of the royal prestige. More and more people asked for more efficient government.

Paiting.jpg

Alexandr I Meri raised hopes of liberalization in the beginning of reign. However, he decided to turn to more traditional form of government: execution, imprisonment and military aggression. Opposition was suppressed, disloyal officers and solders were fiercely executed, almost all newspapers and clubs were shut down. Alexandr I Meri pursued reactionary policy of eliminating all civil rights and freedoms. But Tsar has faced strong opposition from his own army and enlightened nobility. His brutal actions have led to a national riot of 1807/1808. The Russian Empire narrowly escaped revolution and the Meri’s survived.

Russia continued to be absolute monarchy, ruled by one imperial dynasty. But time has changed fundamentally, and Russia is entering period of Great Divergence, characterized by industrialization, social and economic instability. Subscribe to the third part of megacampaign - Part III. 1821 - 1936.

The Russian Empire in thereign of Alexandr I Meri. End of the EU IV campaign.

Last edited: