Running out of gangsters possible?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

veevoir

Second Lieutenant
16 Badges
Apr 9, 2018
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
Hi,

In the streams on Paradox Extra channel -named gangsters start to drop dead before even a single neighborhood out of 10 is fully taken over. As we know - there are 55 of them in game, each boss hires at least (?) one. So that's around 14-15 hired out on first day. And as you expand your Empire - some gangsters get "a desk job" watching safehouses..

Is it possible to run out of gangsters to hire? If yes - what then?

If you are in a fight containing another gangster - can you defeat them while avoiding killing them, so they go back to the market one day (when their boss dies)? Can you poach from competition?

Gangsters are one of the main aspect I am curious about, as who you have in your crew, how you run it - seems an integral part of the identity of your gang

It does seem a bit limiting. I would not be surprised if the eventual inclusion of modding into the game does not permit modders to create new and custom gangsters to add to the game.

Hi,

In the streams on Paradox Extra channel -named gangsters start to drop dead before even a single neighborhood out of 10 is fully taken over. As we know - there are 55 of them in game, each boss hires at least (?) one. So that's around 14-15 hired out on first day. And as you expand your Empire - some gangsters get "a desk job" watching safehouses..

If you are in a fight containing another gangster - can you defeat them while avoiding killing them, so they go back to the market one day (when their boss dies)? Can you poach from competition?

Gangsters are one of the main aspect I am curious about, as who you have in your crew, how you run it - seems an integral part of the identity of your gang

I think at one point they discussed alternate ways of pulling strength out of rival bosses, so perhaps there are paths by recruiting Gangster W and repping him up to obtain Gangster X to get to the ultimate prize Gangster Y to roll over and assassinate Enemy Z from within?

in about 72 hours answers become a lot clearer.

Having a limited character pool without procedurally generated characters and permadeath is one of the reddest flags imaginable in game design for me. It was acceptable in Baldur's Gate where you'd just save and reload anyway, but if that's really how it works, that seems like a huge cut corner.

Hi,

Unfortunately, we do not know the answer as every game session we have seen, we haven't seen near end-game. I actually only recently saw a screen where one gangster did indeed die. So it's possible that death is relatively uncommon and that gangsters will go to the hospital and be injured for a while more often than that. A

Having a limited character pool without procedurally generated characters and permadeath is one of the reddest flags imaginable in game design for me. It was acceptable in Baldur's Gate where you'd just save and reload anyway, but if that's really how it works, that seems like a huge cut corner.

That's fair, but I think it will work in this case because one game in Empire of Sin is no where close to one game in Baldur's Gate. I believe the developers made the game so that you would finish a game in 2-20 hours usually, depending on the map size. Each play session was never meant to take too long, which bummed me out hearing about it in the beginning, but hopefully the content and end-game is there so you want to continue. However, looking at how the game is designed, it's doubtful.

It's funny because I think it'll be similar to Gangsters: OC. There was limited end-game in that. Not only because around week 13 or so, all the other bosses want to kill you, but once you kill off 2 of 3 bosses and try to limit the other, there isn't much left to do. It may be the same in this game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Unfortunately, we do not know the answer as every game session we have seen, we haven't seen near end-game. I actually only recently saw a screen where one gangster did indeed die. So it's possible that death is relatively uncommon and that gangsters will go to the hospital and be injured for a while more often than that. A

That's fair, but I think it will work in this case because one game in Empire of Sin is no where close to one game in Baldur's Gate. I believe the developers made the game so that you would finish a game in 2-20 hours usually, depending on the map size. Each play session was never meant to take too long, which bummed me out hearing about it in the beginning, but hopefully the content and end-game is there so you want to continue. However, looking at how the game is designed, it's doubtful.

It's funny because I think it'll be similar to Gangsters: OC. There was limited end-game in that. Not only because around week 13 or so, all the other bosses want to kill you, but once you kill off 2 of 3 bosses and try to limit the other, there isn't much left to do. It may be the same in this game.

Or a simple solution is 'soft dead' which can show back up later upon recuperation for off screen movement and 'hard dead' which is a body in a morgue for characters the player wants out of his game quickly.

not to mention they have already pre-sold two expansions worth of upgrades. I rather think they have plans for the future based on the first wave of public feedback.