Runemaster - Development Diary 4 - Personality Traits

• Hello Everyone, Today we've upgraded to the latest version of our forum software, bringing more features and better performance to the community. As always, we appreciate your bug reports and feedback, and you can post all of that here, as well as view the list of new features
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning
Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread is more than 5 months old.

It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose. If you feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

psxws

Sergeant
1 Badges
Jun 16, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
Fortunemaker: Provident - Extravagant
Wordsmith: Illusive - Honest
Silvertongue: Manipulative - Intimidating
Pathfinder: Cautious - Brave

The new categories are definitely better than the old ones. Is it too late to make adjustments, though?

For one thing, this might be my own ignorance, but "Provident" didn't conjure the right idea; I thought it'd be someone who provides. I don't think it's too commonly used a word. I think "Prudent" would be a much better word to oppose "Extravagant" (great word choice, btw). A prudent spender seems much more natural and easier to understand than a provident spender.

As for "Illusive", I think it'd be simpler and more direct to say "Deceitful", but I can understand why you might prefer that stylistically.

"Manipulative" I really dislike. It's too closely tied to Illusive. Although I can imagine situations in which you might manipulate others into doing as you say while telling the truth, they'd be somewhat contrived at best. Manipulation doesn't necessarily imply lying, but they do seem to go hand-in-hand. On the other hand, Intimidating doesn't have that issue; you can intimidate someone with a real threat or by bluffing.

I think the issue is that "manipulative" isn't the best counterpart to "intimidating". I think "Charming" would be a much better choice; both imply using words to influence another party, but Charming works a lot better with the categories in Wordsmith. (You can honestly praise them and befriend them, or you can only pretend to do so). The "friendliness" aspect of Charming also plays off better against the violence of Intimidating.

Other than that, it seems great. Thank you for being so responsive to the community. I really hope you'll consider these changes! The game looks awesome, can't wait to play it.

TeutonicDane23

Jarl
15 Badges
Apr 7, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
That is awesome you guys actually listen to the community! Thanks so much, I like the new ones much better.

Empress Matilda

Colonel
38 Badges
Jan 5, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
The new categories are definitely better than the old ones. Is it too late to make adjustments, though?

For one thing, this might be my own ignorance, but "Provident" didn't conjure the right idea; I thought it'd be someone who provides. I don't think it's too commonly used a word. I think "Prudent" would be a much better word to oppose "Extravagant" (great word choice, btw). A prudent spender seems much more natural and easier to understand than a provident spender.

As for "Illusive", I think it'd be simpler and more direct to say "Deceitful", but I can understand why you might prefer that stylistically.

"Manipulative" I really dislike. It's too closely tied to Illusive. Although I can imagine situations in which you might manipulate others into doing as you say while telling the truth, they'd be somewhat contrived at best. Manipulation doesn't necessarily imply lying, but they do seem to go hand-in-hand. On the other hand, Intimidating doesn't have that issue; you can intimidate someone with a real threat or by bluffing.

I think the issue is that "manipulative" isn't the best counterpart to "intimidating". I think "Charming" would be a much better choice; both imply using words to influence another party, but Charming works a lot better with the categories in Wordsmith. (You can honestly praise them and befriend them, or you can only pretend to do so). The "friendliness" aspect of Charming also plays off better against the violence of Intimidating.

Other than that, it seems great. Thank you for being so responsive to the community. I really hope you'll consider these changes! The game looks awesome, can't wait to play it.

I'd guess they went with provident because prudent is often used as a synonym for cautious. I'd agree charming seems better than manipulative.

Status
Not open for further replies.