• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JMeganSnow

Recruit
Apr 11, 2016
There's something that I think would tie in well with the theme of the game and that you don't see much of in other games--acquiring, running, and improving a household. Particularly a household filled with your dependents, who have their own problems and interpersonal difficulties. What do you do when the captain of your personal guard takes up drinking? When your steward is dishonest? Do you take in an orphaned son of a nearby nobleman and manage his estate for his benefit or for yours? When the cook's daughter turns up pregnant and he beats her, what do you do?

I'd quite like to have that sort of thing.

Considering that you're supposed to be the lieutenant of a Dark Lord, the only thing you should be running is a dungeon. If the cook's daughter turns up pregnant, you feed them both to the werecrocs in the fortress pit for bothering you with such trivial nonsense.

Considering that you're supposed to be the lieutenant of a Dark Lord, the only thing you should be running is a dungeon. If the cook's daughter turns up pregnant, you feed them both to the werecrocs in the fortress pit for bothering you with such trivial nonsense.
You should carve out the child first, it might be useful for a summoning ritual further down the line.

As I understand it the evil of this game will be more along the lines of "What are you willing to do to preserve order". And the OPs point could stand very well under that.

Considering that the PC is apparently supposed to be a high ranking official in this world, I'll say that it would be more than a bit odd not to have some sort of entourage of secretaries and other domestic assistants/servants.

Even if not taking a set staff with them, the PC would likely have access to local personnel wherever the job takes them to.

... It would then be a waste not to involve these NPCs in the setting somehow. And indeed, as their behaviour would reflect on the reputation of their employer (the PC), having an eye on said behaviour seems to be a natural thing to do.

It would be interesting if it related to what motivated the PC.

So it might be that he can get all sorts of luxuries or run an austere household. Then others could seek to influence the PC's decisions on the basis of what he wants.

Oh.. yeah that kind of corruption is somethign we donät get to see often.

Well, they did have a fortress system in Pillars of Eternity that could be slanted toward a household system for the evil lord per say. It depends on what they do with it to add to the game play outside of just pretending to be a household sim though. Maybe have companions not in the party stationed there do adventures or go to village X to slave drive the farmers for more tax income or put down riots while you are away. A lab for evil experiments on prisoners taken to augment your power... How to make it a fun addition?

Considering that the PC is apparently supposed to be a high ranking official in this world, I'll say that it would be more than a bit odd not to have some sort of entourage of secretaries and other domestic assistants/servants.

How many games feature high ranking living heroes that have to deliver a sack of grain to the miller because apparently he needs the money and has no minion to do the job though?

How many games feature high ranking living heroes that have to deliver a sack of grain to the miller because apparently he needs the money and has no minion to do the job though?
How many of these manage to do this without feeling ridiculous, though?
- When such happens, I consider it a flaw. Why suggest flaws?

Maybe seduce the Overlord his daughter/son yourself or use one off the staff to do for you so that you can control the child from the shadows as your puppet king.

How many of these manage to do this without feeling ridiculous, though?
- When such happens, I consider it a flaw. Why suggest flaws?

I was barely noting that I never really felt in charge of anything in any RPG (besides myself and my party) and yes that feels odd but it certainly would not be unusual to me; in fact the contrary would be unusual although certainly pleasing.

I will always appreciate having more interaction and more change to the environment based on that interaction.

Heck maybe I was the one that knocked up the cook's daughter, what is he going to do about it?

Do I deck everything in gold and have many fawning courtiers with elaborate court rituals or is mine a military camp really only for quick R&R?

That's only if you are stupid evil. Proper evil would easily be able to run a household. I mean why would you not have a host of servants?

Maybe seduce the Overlord his daughter/son yourself or use one off the staff to do for you so that you can control the child from the shadows as your puppet king.
Except it's been stated you are his hand in one of the provinces, I doubt we'll even see the capital, the overlord is relegated to the role of an opressive pressence more than a character that you willa ctually interact with as I udnerstand things.

So I think you will have to run the province as a Governor type representative to maintain peace and exploit the resources.

How you do that, including how you may run your personal household, is up to you. If you want to be a pyscho, then go ahead.

Yes, as a Judge/Executioner of Kyros' Law, plus being a veteran of the war, it'd be a anomaly to not have a retinue along with you, composed of soldiers, secretaries, servants of varying roles, (potential family?), and a lot of relations (no blorgs allowed though) with the military and the new judicial department (you are one of their head agents). Having links to each of these in your household is something that if implemented, should be implemented well.

And this brings on to another point: well written dynamism among the household. Each of these chars should feel more than just "servant 3" or "Military liasion officer", they should each have a personality that evolves as they interact with you. A ruthless but just (following Kyros' Justice) PC might get you a bad reputation with your servants, but other branches will see you as fullfilling your duties, while a compassionate and merciful PC might end up increasing your standing amongst the people, but the authorities would get pissed. But there comes the whole problem of having "quantized" general opinions, such as where in EUIV that country likes you by that certain amount.

While I am not directly against the quantized opinions, I'd like to see a more dynamic version of it. Each person would have a different view on your own actions, but they would be influenced by the general opinion from their social class due to their interactions with such people. Your liasion officer to the military might be more sympathetic to your decisions as he understands all the trials you go through, but his superiors might not grasp that, so sucking up to each liasion might help you to have better wording for your actions, but they are not the driving factor, and disputes within the household might sour a lot of relations.

Another point I want to make is that there is no direct "wording". By that I mean that you don't know the relation you have with a certain person, but their way of speaking with you should betray their views (perception skill or something to better guess their opinions, many would undoubtely lie to your face). There's a lot more to go on, but i'll leave my suggestions at that.