• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ares Enyalios

Colonel
119 Badges
Aug 9, 2009
  • Ancient Space
  • Crusader Kings II
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • King Arthur II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris
  • Sengoku
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • War of the Roses
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
Since there is no suggestion thread yet but enough people seeing this as rather bad, i therefore created this thread. Previous discussion here:

Summary: Right now, nation leadern can't command legions which is stupid because Consuls were the leaders of the Legions and in the Hellnistic Empires there was basically only one professional army and that was exclusively lead by the king himself!

Last edited:
  • 26Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I wouldnt be surprised, theres an extensive number of issues people have incorrectly identified as bugs only to find they re features somehow
but they have proved they are able to change if there is enough popular votes and rationale... or popular votes and irrationality, I am not sure.

I sincerely hope this is changed, along with the inability to merge units. Having a ton of tiny stacks to wheel around feels like a serious step back and the inability for say, the King of Epirus, to lead his best troops, is among the silliest changes I can imagine.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm going to toss another vote in for rulers being able to command the capital region legion or levy (not both).

I'm also going to toss in that I agree that levies divided should not all have the same governor leading them. With a bit of micromanagement and a province with 12-14 units in its stack and a governor there with a 14+ military grade, you can have your entire army being run with 14+ grade. That can't be WAD. I could imagine the levies within the governor's province working like that as the guy rides back and forth between stacks leading them all due to proximity. But, its silly to have the governor of Cisalpine Gaul with 1 cohort each stacked with armies in Egypt, Spain, Africa, and Persia and crushing enemies in them all, in addition to still running his province without breaking a sweat.

Reactions:
I had a really nice campaign with Epiros so far. I like the new TAG when you take over Macedon. Relating to the thread however: I never used Pyrrhos in battle which is a shame. Even if i wanted to use him with his levies it wouldn'd matter because the manpower and the pops of Epiros are so low that you can afford ever the tiny legion or the tiny levy and i went for legion...

Reactions:
I had a really nice campaign with Epiros so far. I like the new TAG when you take over Macedon. Relating to the thread however: I never used Pyrrhos in battle which is a shame. Even if i wanted to use him with his levies it wouldn'd matter because the manpower and the pops of Epiros are so low that you can afford ever the tiny legion or the tiny levy and i went for legion...
you can go with levy + legion, the levy of 500 soldiers will attach to your legion with Pyrrhos as commander, he will take over all the battles with the armies combined.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I expected this change to come with 2.02 but now we have 2.03 and this stil hasnt been changed.
I guess we have to wait a little longer.
But my hope is still there that we do not have to wait until 2.1 which will be quite a view months from now.
Maybe there will be a 2.04 with this change. I would very appreciate it.

I think legions should be commanded by the best characters (highest martial skill), by default automaticly up to 4, without the option to choose.

Or maybe an even better solution and more historical way: top 3 characters by powerbase (leaders of each big family basicly) can only command the legions.

Reactions:
I think legions should be commanded by the best characters (highest martial skill), by default automaticly up to 4, without the option to choose.

Or maybe an even better solution and more historical way: top 3 characters by powerbase (leaders of each big family basicly) can only command the legions.
First the king or consuls. And not only legion but your most important army.

The king will always get his way, the Consuls can be barred by the Senate but with huge loyalty consequences.

This way, if your ruler is not high Martial, you cannot give him a small legion and forget about him. He will always get the first spot.

For tribes. The tribal leaders will split the bigest army and lead one each other, like Consuls and Co-consuls.

This will be done automatically by the game.

Last edited:
This problem held me back from a major 2.0 run for a very long time.
After 2.0.3 I started with some games but I was hoping to see a solution for this as soon as possible.
The stop on further development for 2021 makes me even more sad because it means that we possibly wont see a change here in the near future.

If there was one thing I would like to see fixed first it is the ability for rulers to lead legions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can't belive they didn't even let the devs patch this in the game before leaving it to dry...

Reactions:
the most stupid aspect of this situation is that this seems to be a working as intended feature, seriously none of the developers thought players might want the leader of their nation to lead the profesional soldiers in an army? none at all?

• 2Like
Reactions:
This suggestion has more people giving it a thumbs up than EU4's Leviathan DLC on steam. Why do you tourture us like this, Paradox?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Since there is no suggestion thread yet but enough people seeing this as rather bad, i therefore created this thread. Previous discussion here:

Summary: Right now, nation leadern can't command legions which is stupid because Consuls were the leaders of the Legions and in the Hellnistic Empires there was basically only one professional army and that was exclusively lead by the king himself!
Epirus has become unplayable because Pyrrhos doesnt have levies and the legion doesnt allow the regions govenor to lead it. Really stupid move.

• 1Like
Reactions: