• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Goodness me-it's all happening! Complicated strands all over the place-can you pull them together?

Small point of order: it's the Breton county of Kernev not Kerven ;)

Oops ! Thanks for the point of order, will make the corrections !
This single-county start is definitely a challenge, but trying to pull disparate strands together is, I think, the reason I love playing this game. Something like a jigsaw puzzle ?

Oops ! Thanks for the point of order, will make the corrections !
This single-county start is definitely a challenge, but trying to pull disparate strands together is, I think, the reason I love playing this game. Something like a jigsaw puzzle ?
You seem to be doing a very good job of pulling it together. This is a very interesting AAR part gameplay, part historical. Love it!

You have no chance of inbreeding, don't worry. I think you can get away with first cousin's even. Keep it going fabio

You have no chance of inbreeding, don't worry. I think you can get away with first cousin's even. Keep it going fabio

Thank you, Italianajt. Actually, that marriage was entirely motivated by the groom’s claim on a neighbouring county. I had forgotten that I myself had engineered a marriage there two generations back ! You can imagine my relief when I discovered my heiress and her husband weren't too closely related. A common ancestor four generations back is as close as I'd ever consciously dare, methinks.

III. 2. Good Morning, Breizh !

I wish to claim the county of Domnonia for my son-in-law Guinhoiarn de Penthièvre so that my grandson, second in line to my titles, can inherit. The Count of Domnonia is a vassal of the Duke of Breizh, so my declaration of war is addressed to the latter. I call on my allies to join in. They do. The response of the King of England, as a matte of fact, rather overwhelms me.

roh33a.jpg

All the King’s men fighting for me !

With such numbers, victory is a foregone conclusion, right ? Except that six months into the war, I am served with notice from the Duke of Powys that he’s declaring war on me ! He’s not gotten over losing Gwynedd to me seven years ago.

roh33b.jpg

A war on two fronts ! I am obliged to petition my allies for support yet again. England agrees, but Alured, Count of Kernev -- my own brother -- declines.

Breizh can afford meagre support for his vassal Domnonia. He calls his own allies in, but only one of them shows up. January 1124, the game is up. Breizh surrenders. Guinhoiarn de Penthièvre, once a refugee in my Court, can return to the home from whence he, his parents and siblings had been evicted one-and-twenty years earlier. And he is independent, not a vassal of Breizh.

roh33c.jpg

I immediately gather my troops and send them off to fight Powys in Wales.

England, who hadn’t needed to cross the Channel to engage Powys, has been politely waiting for me to start the offensive. The Welsh Duke commands more men than the Duke of Breizh, but still not nearly as many as the Godwins of England. I march into Powys and besiege the ducal castle.

Which is when the Count of Léon declares war on my son-in-law : he wants the County of Domnonia !

“Hang in there !” I write to Guinhoiarn. “Together we’ll beat back Léon.”

But Powys cannot be undone in a day. We manage to expel him from Gwynedd. The siege of his home counties takes much longer. Even with England’s assistance, I abandon the Welsh front too late. Domnonia has not the strength to withstand Léon. My son-in-law “the Usurper” is evicted in September 1125.

“Twice chased out of Domnonia and twice a refugee in Broërec ? Got to be some kind of record.”

“Very unchivalrous of Léon to attack a man who has no troops.”

I pursue the Welsh offensive. As if to add insult to injury, Powys capitulates in October, only one month after the fall of Domnonia.

roh33d.jpg

Five years of war. And all for nothing. We are back where we started, except that Léon is now richer by one more county, for which I hate my brother Alured in Kernev.

But hope springs eternal, and all is not lost for other members of the family. I had betrothed Papa’s posthumously born son Andreas to Mauda, an Irish lassie, heiress to the independent county of Airgialla. When Andreas comes of age at the time Domnonia is lost, a wedding is celebrated in Broërec. Excellent military training has turned him into a Brilliant Strategist, therefore a potential Lord Marshal. He also has a claim on Urmhumhain (Ireland) inherited from his late mother.

Further east, Charlemagne’s descendant the Kaiser isnot happy. Imprudent marital unions have resulted in a bizarre transfer of titles : four or five German counties smack in the middle of the HRE have integrated the demesne of the Kingdom of Hungary.

roh33e.jpg

roh33f.jpg

Over the next three years, I rebuild my army. I still have two (fabricated) claims of my own, Connachta and Breifne, who together form the de jure Petty Kingdom of Connachta. Since becoming Duke of Gwynedd I’m able to make technological discoveries in my own name, but my Spymaster also brings us science from Mainz and Provence.

* Derrien de Rohan, first-born son of my brother Hilaire and grandson of the King of England, is wed to the Baroness of Este.
* Summer, 1127 : the Duke of Breizh goes to his Maker.
* Winter, same year : Alured’s first-born son dies of pneumonia ; the heir to Kernev is now my widowed niece Dreanu, whose first-born son is already Count of Cill Dara in Ireland.
* January 1128 : the Pope declares an ill-advised Crusade for Jerusalem.

Then in May of that year, that upstart the Count of Léon-Domnonia rebels against his liege lord, the new Duke of Breizh. He wants independence. To his surprise, his move signals the start of a seven-year war that will involve several Irish Earls, the King of France, the King of England and the Duc d’Orléans, and from which we shall emerge as champions.

Leaving Léon and Breizh to work out their differences, I declare war on Breifne in August 1128. Why Breifne ? Because its Earl is an ally of the Count of Léon. Of course, Breifne is landlocked and can’t get to its ally’s war anyway. And I doubt Léon will abandon his war with Breizh to come and help his ally Breifne.

Also, I believe that even without my allies, I can take Breifne. Events confirm my calculations -- almost. Three battles -- January, February, March 1129 -- and the war is three-quarters won.

roh33v.jpg

Final phase : the siege of the Earl’s castle. That’s when I realize I have lost too many troops. Poor as I am, I hire Irish mercenaries, without whom I shall not be able to take Briefne. Four months suffice. 25 September 1129, Breifne surrenders.

roh33h.jpg

I now have three counties to my name : Broërec, Gwynedd, Breifne. In three different regions : Breizh, Wales, Ireland.

Meanwhile, the tables have been turned for both Léon and Breizh. Ildegarde de Penthièvre, a former refugee in my Court and for whom I had arranged marriage to Monsieur le Comte de Blois, has fabricated a claim on the Duchy of Breizh. In the time it takes me to conquer Breifne, she, with back-up from her ally the King of France, has usurped the title to Breizh (which is now called Bretagne). And since she is the sister of my son-in-law Guinhoiarn, Ildegarde Duchesse de Bretagne is now my ally !

Whereupon the tables are turned for the audacious Duchess. In November 1130, Ildegarde de Penthièvre goes to her Maker, as does her husband the Comte. Her eight-year-old son, Sigismond de Blois, is now Duc de Bretagne and Comte de Blois. A Regency is set up.

Not to be outdone, Adelinde de Penthièvre, another former refugee but now Countess of Roazhon, sister of the deceased Duchess, rebels against her nephew Sigismond. The Regency gives her a weak claim on the Duchy of Bretagne-Breizh because she has a son. In February 1311, she goes off to lay siege to her nephew’s castle in Naoned.

roh33i.jpg

But the same Regency also gives my luckless son-in-law Guinhoiarn a claim on the Duchy of Breizh !

“To arms ! For Breizh !”

I need a few more weeks before my army is in top form. In April, I declare war on Sigismond de Blois, claiming Breizh for Guinhoiarn -- again, only because he is the father of my grandson Edouarzh, second in line to my titles.

The rebellious Adelinde is booted out of the way by September, leaving me with only Léon-Domnonia to deal with, plus the siege of Naoned. Brother Alured agrees to help. The King of England has also promised help....

Then, in December 1131, the Duc d’Orléans and his merry band of allies declare war on Sigismond de Blois, claiming the County of Blois.

roh33j.jpg

roh33k.jpg

England eventually rouses itself. For some reason, they send hardly anybody, and even manage to sustain two ridiculous defeats. I am unconcerned. The war lasts four years. In March 1135, Sigismond surrenders.

roh33l.jpg

Since poor Sigismond has lost his primary title, Orléans’ war becomes invalid. All hostilities cease.

I am drunk on the nectar of victory.

*​

Last edited:
Reactions:
Damn, you started yourself off in a pretty precarious position, but you seem to be pulling it out pretty well! If through a rather unlikely set of occurrences, it must be said. I wonder how often someone holds titles in Wales, Ireland, and Breizh. Not bloody often, I'd imagine. Still, this is very entertaining and I'm really enjoying the dry tone of the AAR. Going to keep reading this for sure!

Damn, you started yourself off in a pretty precarious position, but you seem to be pulling it out pretty well! If through a rather unlikely set of occurrences, it must be said. I wonder how often someone holds titles in Wales, Ireland, and Breizh. Not bloody often, I'd imagine. Still, this is very entertaining and I'm really enjoying the dry tone of the AAR. Going to keep reading this for sure!

Thanks, Joker. I must admit, the last episode surprised me a lot. I never dreamed I'd be making a claim on a major title on another character's behalf just so that I could inherit it myself down the line. It's also the first time I'm spread so sparsely and far. But all political boundaries are man-made anyway, and therefore subject to revision.... :)

wow.jpg

You are now WritAAR of the Week, fabiolundiense!

I've really enjoyed your style of writing in this AAR thus far, with the snarky duelling first-person perspectives and occasional wink-nods to the fact that you're playing a game whilst still writing a narrative AAR mostly-straight. Do keep it up!

You are now WritAAR of the Week, fabiolundiense!

I've really enjoyed your style of writing in this AAR thus far, with the snarky duelling first-person perspectives and occasional wink-nods to the fact that you're playing a game whilst still writing a narrative AAR mostly-straight. Do keep it up!

:eek:
Well this is a truly unexpected turn of events ! Thank you very much, Revan86. I don't know what to say. It's true I'm taking a humourous tone with this AAR -- always a risky business since humour is such a cultural thing, not everyone finds humour in the same stories. I will certainly work hard to continue !

Congrats fabio, you deserve it.

great nomination!

I had somehow missed the beginning of this AAR. I'll certainly be following it from here.

III. 3. Focus On Wales

But during all these years of war over Breizh and other titles, the grandchildren have been growing up. Although I’ve not been allowed to contribute anything to their education, I have nonetheless closely followed the two eldest in particular.

Aeluit de Rohan, the Duchess of Cornwall I was not destined to leave my titles to, came of age in 1132. Still Breton in custom and speech, she was a vassal of the King of Norge, thanks to whom she was embroiled in an assortment of uninteresting conflicts. At her passage into womanhood, our paths had to part. By the time she was seventeen, she was married -- without the matrilineal clause, I was grieved to learn.

roh33m.jpg

Farewell, sweet child who won’t be inheriting my titles

Edouarzh, daughter Arganteilin’s boy, was turning fifteen. His education appalled me. Envious, craven, cruel, charitable on a rare occasion. To make up for it, I brokered a betrothal with a certain Euronwy, a very young Welsh Lady whose dowry had men drooling all over Christendom.

roh33n.jpg

She would not be coming of age for another six years.

In the winter of 1135, the aged yet most able Lord Chancellor, Guaimar di Salerno, departed to a better world. His passing received a prompting from the disturbing news that the Basileus had annexed his homeland, the county of Salerno (Italy). Things were not boding well for our kin in Amalfi either.

Then, in the spring of 1136, lest I be lulled into believing that my son-in-law was safe under his ducal crown, that indefatigable upstart of Domnonia-Léon declares war on him, claiming the Duchy of Breizh ! This time, however, I am not going to let anything else distract me. I immediately offer assistance.

roh33o.jpg

This war coincides with the coming of age of my betrothed grandson Edouarzh. The last stage of his education has brought satisfaction. Now he can get a taste of the bloodier side of statesmanship.

roh33q.jpg

Domnonia’s fighters are overrun and dispersed by the end of autumn. Then begin the long months of laying siege to his holdings. Meanwhile, Lady Fortune smiles on my nephew Derrien.

“My dear Ildut,” brother Hilaire coos one morning, breezing into the breakfast room, “I have the honour of informing you that Derrien will be emigrating. He is now His Grace the Duke of Normandy, Count of Rouen, Count of Bedford, Count of Middlesex and Count of Oxford. Oh, and Baron of Este, thanks to the wife you found for him.”

Enough to make one choke over one’s porridge.

“Duke of Normandy !” I sputter. “So he’s just moving next door. How, pray, did this happen ?”

roh33p.jpg

What had happened was that the previous Duke of Normandy, Byrhtnoth of Godwin, son of the King of England, had died unexpectedly in the flower of manhood. He left no children. As he had no brothers, his titles went to his eldest sister’s first-born son -- namely Derrien, whose mother, Judith of Godwin, was the eldest sister in question.

That was the good news (for Derrien anyway). The bad news was that the King of England then followed my Chancellor to a better world in January 1137. Farewell to our alliance with England. A new king was soon elected -- a man of the House Hwicce, a nobody with whom we had no connections.

The war for Breizh drags on into 1138. That summer, rebels rise up in every corner of France. Everyone desires independence. Amongst them, little Sigismond, Comte de Blois. Monsieur le Duc de Poitou, on the other hand, decides the time is right to declare war on my son-in-law -- for the possession of the County of Naoned -- the capital of Breizh !

“Why can’t everyone just leave poor Guinhoiarn alone !” I cry.

Not only that, I have sunk from poverty into horrible, shaming debt. How am I to maintain an army ?

Desperate times require desperate measures.

roh33r.jpg

But even my bishops haven’t got enough gold. The Pope ? Nay, too busy licking his wounds, sole reward for foolhardy adventures.

roh33s.jpg

Finally, Domnonia-Léon surrenders. We can pillage from his castle. We’re almost out of debt.

There is one thing nagging me though. Through my conquest of Gwynedd at the start of my reign, I have a claim on the county of Perffedwlad (Wales). That claim will not be inherited. I want Perffedwlad. Especially since, God willing, Glamorgan is set to become part of our demesne. That would mean owning three counties in Wales.

I let our fighting force rest during 1139. In May 1140, I declare war on the Duke of Powys to claim my due.

Even without the help of English allies, all is going well. We score our first win in Caernarfon in August.

roh33t.jpg

I retire to my chambers, secure in the belief that Perffedwlad shall be mine. But my Maker has other plans. I go in October, vaguely aware of the ghastly legacy I am leaving to my daughter.

roh33u.jpg

*​

Reactions:
IV. Interlude

Before we get to the insignificant reign of Arganteilin, (Petty) Queen of Gwynned, Countess of Broërec and of Breifne, let’s check out the Rohan dynasty tree.

roh04k.jpg

Arganteilin is the second daughter of Ildut. This is the second time that the line of succession passes through the second- rather than first-born. Nothing wrong with that, I’m just making an observation. This was due to the law of Gavelkind Succession. Arganteilin’s elder sister was Duchess of Cornwall ; that title now belongs to her niece Aeluit. Her father’s elder brother is Prince-Mayor of Amalfi. More about him in a moment.

Arganteilin has three sons and a daughter. Another of her sons died in infancy. If it weren’t for her matrilineal marriage, this game would be over by now for lack of a direct descendant of the House of Rohan.

Her uncle Hilaire has had the most luck with male descendants. He has four sons and two grandsons (and a grand-daughter).

roh04l.jpg

We’ve just seen (previous post) how Hilaire’s eldest has inherited several titles in the Kingdom of England. Alas for us, there is no alliance between us, although Derrien is a Rohan.

Uncle Iocilin in Amalfi has one son and five daughters, one of whom is now deceased. She had been wed to someone in Capua. As we shall shortly see, Prince-Mayor Iocilin and his four youngest offspring will soon be kissing goodbye to Italy.

roh04m.jpg

Uncle Alured, Count of Kernev, had one son, recently deceased, no issue. His eldest daughter Denise is also dead. His sole surviving child is the second daughter Dreanau, a widow with two sons and a daughter.

roh04n.jpg

Cousin Dreanau’s first-born is Earl of Cill Dara. This situation is most unsatisfactory. This Earl will inherit Kernev, a county I had conquered from the Duke of Breizh, and now it is destined to pass out of the Rohan dynasty.

There is all the more reason for me to try and do something about this because of the geography of these holdings.

roh04o.jpg

We have Gwynedd and Perffedwlad (which we shall be conquering in a moment) in Wales. We also have Breifne in Ireland. Directly to our south lies Cill Dara. Directly north-east lies Airgialla, where Uncle Andreas lives with Aunt Mauda, heiress to Airgialla. So one day the Earl of Airgialla will be a Rohan. (Directly west lies Connachta to which father Ildut had a claim which we did not inherit, alas alas.)

It would be a most noble endeavour for me to put a Rohan in Cill Dara. That would result in a block of three adjacent counties in Ireland ruled by Rohans and thus allied with each other. For now, however, we have Arganteilin.

*​

Poor Arganteilin’s reign is not the breath of fresh air we were hoping it would be. She has inherited one war, and her husband the Duke of Breizh has one on his own hands. Fortunately, Powys and his ally pose no serious threat. It’s just a matter of time. The occupation of Perffedwlad is completed a year after her becoming Duchess, in October 1141.

roh04a.jpg

I now assume the title Countess of Perffedwlad.

Just before that conquest, we noted two significant changes outside our realm. First: little Sigismond de Blois has won independence from the King of France. Second: the Basileus invaded and annexed the Republic of Amalfi. Uncle Iocilin and his family are now refugees chez our cousin Derrien in Normandy.

At the same time, I cannot ignore my husband’s plight, he having no troops to speak of while Poitou invades his holding of Naoned.

roh04b.jpg

December 1141: scarcely are our forces amassed to tackle Poitou when an impudent messenger from Scotland appears at Court. The Petty King of The Isles declares war on us. He has his greedy eyes set on our county of Gwynedd.

roh04c.jpg

What to do ? Where to fight ? Perffedwlad is weak. The decision is taken to fight the Scots. October 1142, second year of our reign, we have our first victorious encounter with Scottish scum.

roh04d.jpg

But my husband Breizh cannot hold his own. Poitou sits everywhere in Breizh. Before we can do serious damage to the Poitevin armies, it is too late. Guinhoiarn surrenders Naoned.

For the first time, a de jure province of Breizh becomes the property of a non-Breton ruler. Naoned becomes the county of Nantes. Guinhoiarn moves to Domnonia. This is all just too much.

roh04e.jpg

roh04f.jpg

1143: I keep myself busy with self-improvement studies. My subjects will hate me less and my enemies will respect me more. We continue to inflict serious damage on the Isles.

roh04g.jpg

roh04h.jpg

1144: our children are growing up. My son Guihomart comes of age. Time to be looking for a suitable bride. Niece Herannuen, daughter of Uncle Andreas, also comes of age. We receive a very nice embassy from the impoverished King of Portugal.

roh04i.jpg

I gladly agree to this match.

“You’re not getting an alliance out of this.” “What good would an alliance with Portugal do, they’d just want us to go fight their Spanish cousin Castille !”

It is not easy finding a bride for my son Guihomart.

The Good Lord decides to take pity on my helplessness.... Adieu, cruel world !

roh04j.jpg

Arganteilin de Rohan, Petty Queen of Gwynedd 1140 -- 1144

*​

Reactions:
Well...that sucks. Cruel, cruel paradox RNG rolls! May Edouarzh reign for many ages and not make a fool of himself! Long live Rohan!!!!

Youch, the horrors of Gavelkind. I would recommend that you switch that to primo before you get a kingdom-tier title so you don't have to have high CA.

Well...that sucks. Cruel, cruel paradox RNG rolls! May Edouarzh reign for many ages and not make a fool of himself! Long live Rohan!!!!

Thanks ! Although I do wonder what wonders I will miss doing with the Arganteilin character, it is nice to be playing ruler with a character who isn't already middle-aged ! :rolleyes:

Youch, the horrors of Gavelkind. I would recommend that you switch that to primo before you get a kingdom-tier title so you don't have to have high CA.

I agree ! But don't you need high Crown Authority in order to choose primo succession ? I don't think I checked.... BTW, belated condolences on Rascal :(

But don't you need high Crown Authority in order to choose primo succession ? I don't think I checked.... BTW, belated condolences on Rascal
1 - Thanks, I really appreciate the condolences. I had had Rascal for years and unfortunately, he just couldn't fight the Cold any longer no matter how much medicine we gave him.

2 - That's the point of getting primo before you get King/Empire tier. When you're a duchy or count, the ca requirement isn't there because they don't have crown authority. It's the one thing I always make sure to do before upgrading to king-tier.