• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Preface

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
78 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
Preface

iu
Much can be said about Carthage prior to the aftermath of Alexander’s death and the aftermath of the revolution. Much has been said. Some small contribution has even been made by yours truly.

This is not that story. This is the story about Carthage as she cast off the shackles of the past and rose from prominence to dominance.

I will in the following chapters chronicle the various leaders of this magnificent republic, starting in 304 BCE.

I hope the story will be as captivating to read as it has been to write.

- Professor Nik O. Lai, Cambridge University

There we go! :D With Livy out, I just HAD to check out Imperator again. I dove right in, so this is played without any proper knowledge of the new mechanics, and I will likely play...less than optimal. Just like the doctor ordered. :D

First proper update will probably be posted within 2-3 days. :)

I’m here for the ride! :) Carthage, eh? All those Carthago delenda est jokes will have to be put aside! :p

I’m here for the ride! :) Carthage, eh? All those Carthago delenda est jokes will have to be put aside! :p
Glad to have you onboard! :) Sooooo.....yeah. No delending of Carthage here, mmmmkay? :p

Seems like someone likes Cambridge University very much ;). Nonetheless, I'll be following your endeavour here as always. Subbed.

Seems like someone likes Cambridge University very much ;). Nonetheless, I'll be following your endeavour here as always. Subbed.
Hehe, just a random well known university, to be honest. ;) I toyed with the idea of using a Classical author, and use AUC, but ended on using BCE and a modern point of view. :)

I dove right in, so this is played without any proper knowledge of the new mechanics, and I will likely play...less than optimal.

That's half the fun of diving into a new update! The other half, of course, is rewriting history. :)

Will follow :)

Reign of Suffete Maharbal Gerbalid and Co-Suffete Ahirom Bodona
Reign of Suffete Maharbal Gerbalid and Co-Suffete Ahirom Bodona

(304 – 299 BCE)

MagP94T.png

The reign of Suffete Maharbal Gerbalid and his co-ruler Ahirom Bodona marked the beginning of a new time. The republic had experienced a rocky road the last few years, and reform was needed. The reforms would stabilize Carthage and mark the resurgence of her power after the times of troubles but would also make Ahirom Bodona a scorned and bitter man.

It all began when the Suffete recruited a relative of the Co-Suffete, Bodo Bonona, as an agent of the 104. The 104 is the name history has given the mighty men behind the rise of the oligarchs that started in 304 BCE. Maharbal Gerbalid deeply believed that the republic needed to move away from the dual Suffete office with the Senate below it, to a stronger one-man Suffete office with a Senate dominated by the rich and powerful – the oligarchs of The 104.

lJ2p1Nb.png

The historical background of The 104.

With the help of Bodo Bodona, Maharbal Gerbalid moved quickly, and by 302 BCE the oligarchic republic was declared in the Senate. Ahirom Bodona was relegated to a regular Senator, fuming, but unable to do anything. The Suffete had complete control.

In addition to Bodo, Maharbal also employed a man name Carthalo Hannid to secure his new regime. Carthalo Hannid was an ex-revolutionary who had many valuable contacts from his time as a rebel. Lending his support to the Suffete, Carthalo made sure that the new regime had support in all cities in the Carthagian Empire – both along the coast and in the interior.

Jbhoo7A.png

The ex-revolutionary turned invaluable asset.

His contacts also made sure that Carthage got the best prices when the need for hiring mercenaries came about. But the Suffete also wisely doubled the standing army, creating a new army unit consisting of heavy infantry, archers and supply trains.

And he would need it. For the Suffete had plans for expansion. In Corsica, he moved in settlers, peacefully annexing tribal lands. But in Sicily, where Carthage controlled the western half, he planned to expand by force. All while his spies worked to destabilize Syracuse and prepare the future war against her and her allies in the easternmost part of Sicily, casus belli were manufactured for war against the city states in the middle of the island.

qIPptp2.png

The situation at the start of the war. Before the war ended, the enemies had actually managed to snatch half of Syracuse in a separate war.

In 300 BCE, the forces of Carthage marched into battle, as the Suffete declared war on Siculia and her allies Acragas, Tyndaria and Calactea. This war marked the start Carthage’s march to greatness – and the fall of Suffete Maharbal Gerbalid. His time in office were already coming to a close anyways, but he – a man who had enjoyed absolute control and high popularity, soon saw his friends and allies turn away when they saw him.

Battle after battle were lost, widows were made. The war did not go well. And everyone thought the Suffete and his eagerness to join battle before all troops had arrived in Sicily, was to blame. The Suffete not only went to war too early, he had done so by forcing the hand of the Senate, which were of the opinion to wait. His term ended in disgrace.

An early chapter! I got some extra time, so here it is already. :)

Off to a quick start

Very fun, will you have an adviser.
Perhaps Zorlax opened the portal instead and the dragons shall rise again, covertly of course.

Oops, one day a rooster, the next a feather duster! A stumble on the march to greatness. :eek:

Off to a quick start
Need to utilize those troops, right? :D I really like the missions so far. Although the first war was without missions, I started the post revolution mission tree first and got impatient. :p
Very fun, will you have an adviser.
Perhaps Zorlax opened the portal instead and the dragons shall rise again, covertly of course.
Sorry, no. I do not plan to have the Advisor in this AAR. Don't be afraid though, I'm sure he'll come along for another story at one point. :)
Oops, one day a rooster, the next a feather duster! A stumble on the march to greatness. :eek:
Life is a rollercoaster. :eek:

Okay, this can be fun... Played on a little and suddenly out of nowhere I got over 20 more AE, without me going to war. And now I'm closing in on a rebellion. :D

OK, I need some tips. I'm getting my second rebellion in a few months. :D Can't get better loyalty whatever I do. :D Trying to assign provincial armies now.

No advice from me I’m afraid, as I don’t have Imperator (yet, anyway) and don’t even know what AE is. :confused: Good luck, anyway. Just watch out for any lurking delenda! :eek::p

No advice from me I’m afraid, as I don’t have Imperator (yet, anyway) and don’t even know what AE is. :confused: Good luck, anyway. Just watch out for any lurking delenda! :eek::p
Agressive Expansion. :) Bad boy score, in other words. ;)

Ah, got it! Bad boy, bad boy, watcha gonna do when it comes for you!? :D