• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Plz dont conquer anything in Europe, its so horribly un-British. Get the 13 colonies back! :D

I like very much btw

JoshWeber Thank you, I hope you keep reading.

Jape Yes, that would be amusing. America will be featured in the AAR I'm sure there is the Oregon Treaty, intervention in the Civil war etc. I'm sure when the times HM Government will set the correct policy :rolleyes:

Black Raj HM Government has no need to expand in Europe, we have India, America, Africa to do so. AS mentioned early in the AAR, I will be following balance of power ideas in dealing with Europe.

Dispatch from Persia,
From British Consul, Tehran. August 21st, 1836
To Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Lord Palmerston

It is my distinct pleasure to report to your Lordship on the state of Anglo-Persian relations. As you may or not be aware the Shah has invited British subjects into his lands to help modernize the state of Persia. They have been doing so for some time. Teaching in Persian schools, instructing Persian government officials, teaching English etc. We have understood that these reforms while popular with the Shah and some factions of his court, they have been looked on in bad taste by more extremist elements of the said court. We have heard that said extremist elements were trying to convince the Shah to halt the reforms and expel the British subjects in country. Sometime last month at the Shah’s court the matter came to head. The two factions had a long and bitter argument in front of the Shah. It is my distinict pleasure to report to your Lordship that the pro-British Faction won and the Shah as decided to keep the course and retain the British subjects in Persia. This is great news for British-Persian relations. It is the opinion of the Consulate here that since Persia is wedged between Russia and British controlled India having a strong and modern Perisa that can resist the Russians will be of great importance to England.

Dispatch from NW India.
From, Generals, Bennet and Shaw, commands of Dehli and Bombay Armies
To Secretary of State for War and the Colonies, Lord Glenelg
September 17th 1836

To your Lordship,
It is my duty to instruct you to report the number of illict Punjabi raids on our dominions in India and allied states therein have increased. As we have received the dispatch to Lord Auckland authorizing us to move to the border and invade if needed, Lord Auckland ordered the movement of the armies under our command to said border. As of two weeks after the writing of this Dipatch we will be in position and will wait for instructions from the Governor General of India, Lord Auckland to procced and establish British control of Punjab and bring order and law to the region.

October 1st, 1836
Cabinet Meeting Room, 10 Downing Street

The British Inner cabinet was arrayed around the circular table used for the meeting of the inner cabinet. Prime Minister Melbourne sat down and called the meeting to order. “ Gentlemen, I hope you had a nice summer. I know I did, I bagged several foxes at my Scottish Estates. Anyway on to business. I fell that the year has gone well. We have been able to balance building and expanding factories, building basic railroads in our home country, expanding the Empire in Africa, India and North America.. We will now discuss the year past. “ Melbourne opened the floor to discussion.

“ Gentlemen and Lords” began Lord Glenelg “ It is the believe of the War and colonies office that we must continue to expand our colonies in Canada, India, Australia and New Zealand and perhaps even Africa. These colonies are vital for an island nation of traders, because that is what we are. If you have read the dispatch from India you will see that we are poised to annex Punjab. I believe we should. I believe that we must increase the colonial budget to allow for the expansion of our colonies.” Remarked Lord Glenelg.

“ Hear, Hear “ chorused Earl Minto, Lord Howick and Sir John Cam Hobhouse. It was becoming edivent that the four, the three above and Lord Glenelg were forming the hawkish portion of the cabinet while, Lord John Russell, Thomas Spring-Rice and Lord Palmerston being the more dove like. Melbourne was the swing vote between these two factions.

“ But Sirs, while colonies may be important we must remember that our greatest challenge is here” began Russel. “ We are as Lord Glenelg remarked an island of traders. This must be maintained, that I argee but not by expanding in India our claiming bits and pieces of Africa. It will be accomplished by building factories and railroads here in Britain. Let the colonies province the grain, coal, dye and other basic materials fine. But all processing should be done here at home. That is what we need colonies for.” Russel finished.

“ Gentlemen it is the belief of the Foreign Ministry” began Palmerston. “That we should remain neutral in European affairs. I would like to hear our cabinets views on the matter. I invite any member of cabinet to submit reports to the Foreign Ministry with views on this matter and any other foreign policy concerns. Thank you.” Palmerston gave the floor to Melbourne.

“ Gentlemen I thank you for views. While I may not always argee or government policy with them, I want you to know that I like hearing them and wish we keep these debates going. On that note I am recessing Parlement until Jan 15 1837. I wish you all good tidings and a reminder that we will meet again on January 1st-2nd to hear the yearly reports from your ministries and to set policy for 1837.”

Report to Cabinet,
January 3rd

In the past year 1836, we have successfully increased the employment in our country. We have accomplished this twofold. One we have consolidated our factories into more profitable sectors. We have closed for the time being expensive factories that produce goods that aren’t needed. We have closed clipper shipyards, gun works, bullet works and cannon works. As it was not anticipated that the army would need enlarging we felt this was acceptable. Closing clipper shipyards means we reduce the number of new wooden ships in the Royal Navy. As the First Lord has remarked, wooden ships are a thing of the past and we should abandon their production. On this note Steamer production has increased as we build a stockpile of steamers, as soon as the RN finishes developing new classes of iron and steel ships we will be able to build them.

We have built new factories in most provinces in England, Ireland and Scotland as well as new factory in St. Johhn’s, Newfooundland. The new factories produce basic goods that will be the building blocks for our economy and colonization efforts. We have expanded a steel facility in Wales as well.

With many resources both material and fiscal going into colonization and factory building/colonization we have been only able to deveplop the railway network only in provinces that produce goods and contain factories as well as few corridors linking different parts of the country. As long as we are pouring money into colonies we will only slowly expand our railways.

With these measures taken, 1836 has been a good year on the industrial front as we have increased employment and production. On a bright note a new class of wealthy mangers and clerks has emrged from our factories and now help drive the economy even higher. We must however increase money into railroad building programs to make sure we don’t fall behind other nations.

Report to Cabinet,
Jan 1st.

We have completed researching business banks. We expect with these new types of banks for the average person to make more as well a the company so HM government can expect more money from the same tax level.

We are in conjunction with the Royal Ordinance Depot, Army at Aldershot developing a new type of muzzle loading weapon. This will increase the firepower of the average soldier and ensure our soldiers are the best equipped in Europe. We expect this project to take appox nine months at full funding.

Report to Cabinet
Jan 6th

The year 1836 was a good one for the Exchequer. We maintained a surplus of about £80 a day. We have retained little in the exchequer. The offices taking the most were the home and war and the colonies. We can only sustain such rapid spending for ever. We adovacte decreasing tax levels from the 49% level. We only have a small Tariff in place so our citizens can afford to import. We hope the government is more conservative in spending and starts to save some money. We do however support building more factories as they increase tax revenue dramatically.

Report on the Colonies
To Cabinet
Jan1st 1837

We have constructed three new colonial outposts:
Keduin, Trading Post, Senegal
Rooktown, Trading Post, Ivory Coast
Ft. MacPherson, Trading Post, NWT, Canada

These three posts have been constructed to stem French and Russian expansion. The two African posts counter French influcne in their regions while the Canadian post stops the Russians from expanding east in Canada.

In order to build an empire we must divert more money into the colonization program. France is expanding heavily in Africa and me must stop them and replace their influence and posts with our own. Colonies are vital to our economic and military well being and this government must focus on them!

Joint Report on India
Colonies Office, President of the broad of control of the British East India Company
Reports from Governor General, Calcutta
Jan 24th 1837

All is well in the British Raj. Economic expansion is happening thoughtout the countryside. Dye plantions, grain frams, poppy fields, iron mines etc are all booming and we are expanding them as fast as new workers appear for them. There have been no revolts this year and everything is stable.

We have moved Bombay and Calcutta and Dehil armies to the Kush to secure our border with Punjab. We await good campaign season to move in and assume control. We intend to claim for our Queen and Country.

Dispatch from Governor General of India, Lord Auckland
Conquest and Annexation of Punjab.

We moved across the border with five Sepoy(native Indian Soldiers) and five British Soldiers. The Dehli army marched on Luddiang, Bombay on Lahoe, Calcutta on Amristan. The Sikh armies were deployed but not at full fighting strength. We in each engagement had full advantages in artillery, numbers, rifles almost everything. Initial resistance was encountered on the border regions but after we met them and destroyed their armies the country lay open for the taking. The Dehli army then garrisoned Luddiang and kept the rear of the other armies clear of enemy activity. The Bombay army secured Lahor the marched and took Faisablalld and then Multan. The Callcutta army secyred Ravalpinidi province and with that. My self and General Shaw delivered the treaty of annexation to the Maharajah of Punjab and the acceptance of British East India control. And with that your humble servant, Lord Auckand returned to the Governor Generals residence in Calcutta.

Mettermrck: I closed the clipper shipyards because, I wanted to concerate on more basic goods like fabric, lumber steel etc. Two I couldnt support them all as fabric and lumber production was very low.

I'm just stockpiling steamers for now, I can already build Raiders but they are pretty uselness.

India is the jewel in the crown, it would downright unbritish not to secure it.

Report From Office of the Colonies
To Cabinet
May 29th 1838

We have had a busy year in establishing trading posts around the globe. Shorty before the Pnujabi annexation we built a trading post in Port Harcourt in Nigeria. This will secure our influence there for sometime as the French are expanding their system of colonies in nearby, Gabon and the Ivory Coast.

Also in Africa with the idea of a Suez Canal being built in the near future the Red Sea has taken on a strategic importance to our India trade. We have constructed a trading post in Yebuti and once it is finished we will have a prime port and naval base to conduct trade and military uses in the Red and Arabian Seas.

In British North America we are close to bringing the region of Lower Canada(Quebec) under our complete control with the building of a trading post in Amos. Once finished we will control the entire Lower Canada region and secure Upper Canada from the East form American expansion.

We have also started a trading post in Bentio, Gabon region as this will block the French form claiming this rich region. WE are also of the opinion that sooner or later we must deal with the number of French claims in Africa. We can strike now while the RN is strong and can blockade France and her colonies while we secure French claims in Africa. Also to limit the French we have built a claim in Kumassi in the Gold Coast.

Report From Consul, Canton
January 3rd 1839
To Foreign Affairs Office, Cabinet via Sectartary for Foreign Affairs

We have recived word the Chinese government at Beijing has dispatched a new High Commissioner to destroy the Opium Trade. As you may know this is one of the most lucrative trades run by British and Indian merchants. We receive £ thousands of sliver a year from this trade. We ship the opium to China and they pay for it in sliver and other hard currencies. Your Lords and Gentlemen this trade is vital to the economic wellbeing of thousands of Her Majestys subjects. You will not allow a heathen government to bully England around would you? I ask for you to send a squadron of Gunboats to Canton so we may have some protection if this matter comes to head.

Report on HM Army
Authored by Office for the Army, Horse Guards

We recommend the expansion of the standing regular army by two new guard divisions. These formations will be standard 10 000 men infantry divisions with an elite Guard Brigade attached to each. We further recommend that we group them together as will make a very strong formation. These divisions will become the model for our new army as we expand overseas and colonize new lands. They will be equipped with the newest muzzle loading muskets in our inventories and have the most up to date training and artillery.

Cabinet Votes:

Expansion of the Army:
Lord Melbourne: Yay
Lord John Russell - Secretary of State for the Home Department: Nay
Lord Palmerston - Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs: Nay
Lord Glenelg - Secretary of State for War and the Colonies: Yay
Lord Auckland - First Lord of the Admiralty: Abstain
Thomas Spring-Rice - Chancellor of the Exchequer: Nay
Lord Howick - Secretary at War: Yay
Sir John Cam Hobhouse - President of the Board of Control: Yay

Measure passes, Two new divisions will be raised at Aldershot Arsenal and will be based in London.

Dispatch of a naval unit to China:

Expansion of the Army:
Lord Melbourne: Yay
Lord John Russell - Secretary of State for the Home Department: Yay
Lord Palmerston - Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs: Nay
Lord Glenelg - Secretary of State for War and the Colonies: Yay
Lord Auckland - First Lord of the Admiralty: Yay
Thomas Spring-Rice - Chancellor of the Exchequer: Nay
Lord Howick - Secretary at War: Yay
Sir John Cam Hobhouse - President of the Board of Control: Yay

Measure passes, Royal Navy instructed to dispatch a unit of Gunboats to the area in question

Last edited:
It has come to our attention that Opium is now banned in China. This is unacceptable to us.

July 7th, 1839,
Dispatch from Governor General, India

China has demaned we turn over two British subjects to their kangaroo courts in Canton. We will not hand over British Subjects to another government. The Gunboat squadron has arrived and is cruising off the Port of Hong Kong.

July 8th 1839
Dispatch from Governor General, India

WAR! Acting on my authority I have began offensive operations against China. The Indian Armies are heading to the border at this moment. I request reinforcements of regulars from Britan.

Lord Auckland.

From Cabinet
To Singapore, Sydney, and Calcutta Stations

You are ordered to make sail with all possible haste to blockade the coasts of China. Once they you will destroy any Chinese flagged ships, support the army in pacifying coastal areas, you will also sail up any navigable rivers and seize any government property. You will also destroy any defensive positions the Chinese have built.

From Cabinet
To Secretary of State for War and the Colonies, Secretary at War

You will draw up plans for the embarkation of British regulars from England to be deployed to the Chinese Southern Coastal areas. All ready regular divisions including the newly formed Horse Guards Infantry corps are to be deployed with all due haste via Royal Navy Clipper transports to the area of operations.

Dispatch
From Commander, 1st Infantry Division( Senior Officer Present)
October 25th 1839

1st Infantry division along with 2nd, 3rd and 5th Infantry Divisions as well as the 1st Cavarly Division have successfully landed in Hong Kong and Guangzhou. We are in the process of securing these two vital ports. We landed to no Chinese resistance. A small flotilla of gunboats from the RN demolished some Chinese Forts guarding the entrances to the ports we landed it but they have appeared to be unmanned. All is Well and We are continuing the advance.

HongKongINvasion.png

Dispatch
From Commander of Dehli Army and Calcutta Army
October 18th 1839
We have reached the border with China. At 10 00 AM this morning the first Sepoy and British regiments crossed the border. Later that day the entirety of the army all 70 000 men advanced into the hear of Dali province. We encountered light fighting from assorted Chinese militias but we brushed it aside with our modern guns and cannons. We are continuing the advance. However due to the adverse type of terrain it being very rocking and ill sutable for an army to cross through our advance will be slow going.

DaliFront.png

Dispatch
From Commander, 8th Infantry Division
October 22nd

We have reached the beaches of Tinjain. There was no enemy present we disembarked in good order and advanced smartly through the province. We are now within a week’s march of the Chinese Capital Beijing. We are moving as quickly as possible towards it in order to force the Manchus to surrender. I hope the landings in South have gone well.

BeijingINvasion.png

Dispatch
From Commander, 1st Infantry Division. Commander of British Armies in Southern China

We have secured the vital port of Guangzhou on the mouth of the Pearl River the waterway between Guangzhou and Hong Kong. With this position in our hands the Admiral commanding, Station Calcutta has informed me that his ships can sail up that river and capture Chinese shipping. We have had reports the Manchu tax barges are somewhere up that river just think of the prize money. My other forces are finishing cleaning out Hong Kong and it will soon be under control. We are advancing on all fronts. Huzzah for Crown and Empire.

GungahzoCapture.png

Dispatch
From Consul, Hong Kong

Excellent News the Chinese authorities have argeed to the Convention of Chuanbi in which they have turned Hong Kong over to us. However myself and the Commander of British Armies in Southern China felt that this was not enough and we are continuing the war. However Hong Kong is now British owned and it will make a fine port for the Navy and Trading vessels. It will become the jewel of our Asian possessions. It will remain British as long the Union Jack flys.

ConventionofCuhbai.png

Its the event that fires when you occupy Hong Kong and Guangzhou. It fires and the Chinese cede Hong Kong but the war goes on and Hong Kong is mine.

Expect the conculsion to the Opium War soon and the beginning of another war.

London, April 1st 1840
Cabinet Meeting Room:

The inner cabinet was assembling in the meeting room to discuss the Empire and Britain’s war with the Chinese and the finishing of that nasty business. Spirit in London and the surrounding counties was high as the men of the army and the RN were fulfilling they’re duties and word of victory after victory filtered back into the UK. On that note, The Prime Minster, Viscount Melbourne rose to address the assembled cabinet. “ We are going to discuss the conduct of the war and how we shall end it. This war is a drain on our treasury and I argee with Mr. Spring-Rice and Lord Russel that the money spent on this war would do better building factories and railways. However we are in this war so we shall win for it, for England. The reports released to the papers do not tell the whole story. The Army is small and as such is being overwhelmed through sheer numbers. Our Indian armies are slogging through rocky terrain and thousands of Chinese. It is my belief we should end the war as quickly as possible, Lord Gleneg, Minto or Horwick would you please present your repesctive services and areas of concerns?”

“ The Royal Navy” began Minto, “ Has preformed to our highest expectations even with only 75% funding in place” Lord Minto gave Spring Rice an evil eye, “ we have still been able to effectively destroy the Chinese ‘Navy’ as a fighting force while blockading the richest Chinese ports. I have read numerous reports of gallant actions of Frigates sailing up enemy rivers and canals and fighting ten or twenty Chinese ships at one time and still winning. From our Navy’s perspective, this war shows the benefits of Naval Superiority. We can land troops anywhere on the Chinese coast, blockade their ports, bombard their cities and seize any Islands and Trading Posts. The navy is ready to keep fighting for another three years if need be.” Minto, sat down and Lord Gleneg began to speak.

“ Gentlemen and Lords of the Cabinet, the war has gone well so far but I must tell you that we simply do not have enough men to prosecute this war to our fullest ability. We have landed over 50 000 men on the coast of China but they bring up 500 000 men. We cannot ask our brave soldiers to take on such odds. We must win this war with a quick strike that will rattle the Chinese into making peace. We have already gained Hong Kong. I propose we use the 8th Division currently three week march from Beijing the capital we shall take it and the shock of Redcoats marching into the capital of China will force them to make peace. As for the particulars of the deal, I feel the the Zhanjiang province and the Island of Foromosa would benefit the empire greatly” Lord Gleneg finished his speech. Lord Minto added to it.

“ I concur with my honorable Sectary and with the gaining of these regions the Royal Navy could base a Far East Squadron in Foromosa which would allow us to counter Russian influence there.”

“ Thank you gentlemen” began Melbourne. “ I agree with your strategy for ending the war and the lands suggested we acquire. Does anyone in the cabinet have any objections?” when no spoke, Mlebourne continued “ Very well, Lord Palmerston draw up a treaty with the above demands, and Lord Minto have a dispatch ship ready to sail for China and victory”

Dispatch
From 8th Division
To Cabinet

My Lords, We have done. We have reached the capital of Beijing. IT is firmly in our grasp and we have the Manchu court surrounded. The proposed treaty reached us and I had the distinct pleasure of informing the Emperor of China unless he signed it we would begin to burn down his palaces one by one. They accepted and ceded Zhanijian province to us as well Formosa and recognized Hong Kong as British for ever.

PostOpiumWar.png

About the cabinet votes, shouldn't it be 'Yea', not 'Yay'? They're not celebrating, you know. ;)

It's nice that you're going the historic route instead of mobilising five hundred Indian infantry divisions and directly annexing China.

Mettermrck The event comes up if you control Hong Kong and other province, the event has one choice, get Hong Kong and contiune the war. Yes it was a nice little war and I feel Britian gained useful ports from it.

anonymous4401 Yeah, The Indian Armies were fighting But I made a studpid decision to try and push over those mountains on the border
:wacko: Also My Army was really tiny as I hadnt raised more then two more divisions.

As for annexing China, theres always the second opium war.... :p

After the successful conclusion of the so called Opium war with China, the economy of the United Kingdom boomed. The London Stock Exchange was soaring. Companies that help interests in the Far East did especially well. For now Chinese goods flowed out of China via the port of Hong Kong. This was Britain’s way. Civilize via trade and only intervene on the coasts. There was no need for it to take control of the whole country. It was late 1840 and the country was at peace. However the ritual of a UK election campaign was about to begin. The Whigs of Melbourne have run the country since 1836 finally stood for reelection in late 1841. Opposing them was Sir Robert Peel of the Conservatives. They promised mild reforms and attacked the traditional Whig base of support, the industrial rich. Sir Robert had had several chances to from minority governments during brief periods. The election was held in July of 1841 amongst great debate. The Peel Tories promised some reforms but there was much support for Melbourne’s government. Winning a war against China had done wonders to revitalize Melbourne’s support. It would be a tightly contested election.

July 1841, Peel has won the election. It a tightly fought election, Peel’s Tories have barely gained a majority in the House of Commons. The Whigs still remain a dominate force in the House and Peel will have to maintain tight control of his MPs in order to force his legislation through.

Sir Robert Peel’s Cabinet:
Lord Lyndhurst—Lord Chancellor
Lord Wharncliffe—Lord President of the Council
The Duke of Buckingham—Lord Privy Seal
Sir James Graham—Secretary of State for the Home Department
Lord Aberdeen—Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs
Lord Stanley—Secretary of State for War and the Colonies
Lord Haddington—First Lord of the Admiralty
Henry Goulburn—Chancellor of the Exchequer
Lord Ellenborough—President of the Board of Control
Lord Ripon—President of the Board of Trade
Sir Henry Hardinge—Secretary at War
Sir Edmund Knatchbull—Postmaster-General
The Duke of Wellington—Minister without Portfolio and Leader of the House of Lords

And the smaller Inner Cabinet that met to discuss matters concerting the Kingdom and the Empire.

Sir James Graham—Secretary of State for the Home Department
Lord Aberdeen—Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs
Lord Stanley—Secretary of State for War and the Colonies
Lord Haddington—First Lord of the Admiralty
Henry Goulburn—Chancellor of the Exchequer
Lord Ellenborough—President of the Board of Control
Sir Henry Hardinge—Secretary at War
The Duke of Wellington—Minister without Portfolio and Leader of the House of Lords
Excerpts from the First Cabinet meeting of the Peel Ministry:
August 1st 1841

From Sir James Graham’s report as Secretary of State for the Home Department, “ The economic situation of the United Kingdom is quite robust at the moment. The middle class of factory workers and managers are growing as we build more factories and expand further existing ones. We are also seeing numbers of Europeans from the continent moving to England to work in our factories. This has been good and we have funded several new factories because of this. The national railroad system now connects every county(Victoria term: Province) on our mainland and we are beginning to upgrade these to Early Railroad.”

Lord Stanley, Secretary of State for War and the Colonies:

“ The Army has increase in size after the conclusion of the Opium War. Two new elite divisions were added along with the raising of new Sepoy Regiments in India. We continue to construct claims thought Africa, Oceania and North America.

Lord Haddington, First Lord of the Admiralty:

“ The Royal Navy continues to work on the next generation of ships. For the time being the size is fine and we are able to deploy strong squadrons around the world. The Navy is ready.”

Lord Ellenborough, President of the Board of Control

“ India is secure and protected from threats. We as the Secretary of War and the Colonies stated raise 36 new Sepoy Regiments. This brings the troop total in India to 136, 000 British and Native soldiers. Economically it continues to do well. I would however propose we begin to deal with the remaining unaligned states and annex them or install friendly rulers.

The period of 1841 t0 late 1843 was a rare time of peace for England and her Empire. Peel’s Tories continued to support the building of factories and railroads. The provinces of Quebec and Western Australia become crown colonies. In North America war between US and Mexico began. A war had been fought between the Ottoman Empire and it’s subject countries versus Russia and Greece. The sick man of Europe had performed well fighting the Russians to a bloody stalemate in the Armenian mountains and stopped repeated Russian advances into Bulgaria. Greece was similarly throated in the mountainous border area it shared with Turkey. Great Britain not wanting the Turks to crumble and to see the Russians in Constantinople and the Dardanelles offered technical aid as well as interest free loans to the Sultanate. Included in the shipments of aid were Lee Enfield muskets that proved invaluable for the Ottoman Army.

In other European matters, Britain maintained strict neutrality except in two cases. Alliances were maintained with Portugal and Belgium. The Belgian alliance served two purposes. It secured a new market for British goods as the Belgians were rapidly industrializing so bought many British finished products from factories on the home isles and raw materials from the colonies. Portugal has been a staunch ally of England since the medieval ages and most recently they defeated the French armies in Spain during the Peninsular war. They also held strategic lands in Africa, their colonies of Angola and Mozambique were closed to desired British colonies. They also hold excellent ports in the Far East such as Timor. Goa and Macau.

But this brief era of peace under Peel was about to end.

Emergency Meeting of the Inner Cabinet
London, October 1st 1843

Sir Robert Peel walked in and sat down. The animated chatter that was ongoing between the cabinet members ceased as they waited for him to speak. “ Members of the Cabinet, I have received the most troubling report from our Governor in Hong Kong, the matter is the large Christian minority in the Empire of Annam. We just recently have acquired lands in the region so we have only heard about it now. The matter is gentlemen that the government of this petty kingdom has sponsored the extermination of any Christian living within the Kingdom’s borders. I feel we must do something about it. The French have already decided to ignore it. I belive this is a good time to solidify British rule in South East Asia.. I wish to dispatch Divisions from the army and squadrons from the navy. Lord Aberdeen any chance of European backlash against us?

“ I would say no Prime Minister. As you have mentioned the French have already ignored it and chose to nothing. No other European power can project power there. The one country that might object is China but we have already taught them a lesson so they will not likely intervene.”

“ Lord Stanley what is the armies status?” asked Peel.

“ The army is ready and we can deploy at least 4 divisions from Britain including the crack Horse Guards Corps. Units that saw action in the Chinese war are also available. If the going should be rough we have garrisons in Foromosa and Australia that the Royal Navy can ship to Annam.” Concluded Lord Stanley.

“ And the readiness of the Royal Navy?” asked Peel

“ The Navy is ready for your orders sir.” Began Lord Haddington, First Lord. “ Since Annam does not possess navy we will mainly transport men and supplies to the region. We have transports anchored in Portsmouth harbour ready to embark the 5th and 6th divisions as well as the Horse Guard Corps.” Finished Lord Haddington.

“ Excellent Gentlemen, you have done a fine service to our country for keeping our army and navy ready for war. And War is must be in my opinion. Any objections?” asked Peel.

The elder statesmen, his grace the Duke of Wellington rose to address the cabinet, “ Gentlemen while this may sound like a jolly good little war I must caution you on embarking on it. This Annam is thousands of miles away from here and supply armies will be difficult. We are still pacifying our Chinese conquests, I fear with the addition of Annam we will be tied down there as well, putting revolts. Just a thought from an old soldier”

With that in mind Peel brought the matter to vote:
Sir Robert Peel- Yae
Sir James Graham—Secretary of State for the Home Department- Yae
Lord Aberdeen—Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs- Yae
Lord Stanley—Secretary of State for War and the Colonies- Yae
Lord Haddington—First Lord of the Admiralty- Yae
Henry Goulburn—Chancellor of the Exchequer Yae
Lord Ellenborough—President of the Board of Control Yae
Sir Henry Hardinge—Secretary at War Yae
The Duke of Wellington—Minister without Portfolio and Leader of the House of Lords- Abstain

War on Annam was declared on October 13th 1843, Annams lone ally, Cambodia joined its overlord. The fleets and armies of England approached. Another war in South East Asia lay ahead for Britain.

Now it's Yae... :eek:o

It's supposed to be Yea. :cool:

A great update. We'll see Annam be a part of British South East Asia soon, I speculate.

Mettermrck The Duke abstained because he felt the army was overstrechted and would be unable to garrison Annam properly.

anonymous4401 Thanks, Damn I forgot again. Rest assured by next update Yea will be spelled correctly.

I'd also like to thank you two. for consisent feedback and comments.

Next Update concerning the Anglo-Annamese war will be up tommorrow.

November 15th 1843

The First Infantry Division went ashore at Ke Hoa. There was no presence of any enemy troops. The leading regiments quickly secured the port and the surrounding countryside as the rest of the 1st was unloaded. Off the port over 16 British warships swung at anchor. The landing of the First Division would be the first of many blows against the Annamese coast.

Eyes only to Cabinet
Internal Army/Navy Report
Re: Conduct of Future Wars.
August 12th 1843.

Since the successful conclusion of the Anglo-Sino War of 1839. The army and navy have conducted a review of British tactics and conduct of the war. First we will analyze the war, then we will critique it, finally suggest the conduct of future wars. This war was a struggle between Britain and China then involved both naval and land assets working in concert. The authors believe this is the best important concept to come out of this war and we must apply its lessons.

At the beginning of the Anglo-Sino War, the Chinese had thousands of men underarms. These were low quality troops but they did have massive numbers of them. The British army consisted of about ten regular divisions and about nine Sepoy or Native Indian Divsions. We also had the Royal Navy which would prove invaluable for our aims. The importance of the RN is not be underestimated in this war. Despite the lack of any Naval engagements the RN was an important asset.
The war began with a push over the border into China. We advanced well there but run into horrible terrain which slowed on our advances considerably. This theatre turned into nothing more then a struggle to supply our divisions and was unless to the war. We then landed troops shipped from England via the Royal Navy at Guangzhou and Hong Kong. We committed the bulk of our forces to that theater. However we were still horribly outnumbered there. Only by the landing and march on Beijing did we end the war.

Analyzing this war it becomes apparent to us that the march on Beijing was made possible by one thing. Control of the Sea. The Royal Navy is key for England to project her power onto land. With control of the sea, the small size of our army is minimized as any enemy will have to cover their coastline, thus giving us the able to gain local advantage in numbers. We can conduct operations up and down the length of an enemy coastline. And if the enemy’s capital is on or close to the sea then we can land directly at it and seize it as a bargaining tool.

In conclusion, this joint Army-Navy commission recommends that the Army remains small and profession but expansion of more elite divisions would be beneficial in order to ever conduct a full scale European war. We also recommend that we continue to invest in the Royal Navy and continue to ensure that the navy remains the best and most advanced in the world.

December 25th 1843
Somewhere on the Cambodian coast

The commander of the Horse Guard Corps looked out on the many junks plying the Cambodian coast. He was looking out of the flag bridge of the HMS Hibernia, a ship of the line. Off the port and starboard where the clipper transports carrying the troopers of the Coldstream Guard and the Lifeguards. These were the elite guard regiments of the British army he thought to himself. Fighting some natives with spears was hardly going to far…

May 1st 1844
Capitol of Cambodia

The treat had just been signed thought H. Gough commander of the Horse Guard corps. Excellent, with Cambodia now annexed into Great Britian the Horse Guards were free to advance in Annam and finish that country off.

September 1844

It had been a roughly ten month campaign in Annam. British regulars from England and Sepoy’s from India had restored order to this lawless country. After securing the coast with the aid of the Royal Navy the various regular divisions and Indian divisions secured the inlands of Annam. This was the longest part of the campaign. The flexible sea power and landing was not avabivle in the highlands. The men faced hilly country and poor or little roads. But soon enough the whole country was under control and annexed into the United Kingdom. Queen Victoria was made Empress of Annam, and a governor general for British South East Asia . This new creation included Cambodia, Annam, Hong Kong and Foromsa.