• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lord E: Maybe they will, maybe they won't :)

Badawi: Clark doesn't really have anything specifically AGAINST anybody in particular, he just has a lot of contempt for everyone else in general. Foch is the guy with a grudge, and I guess it grates on his honor that he owes his life to a "damned Englishman" :p

Marcel Foch felt a hand on his shoulder, and wheeled, ready to punch the guy in the face. He relaxed, though, and unclenched his fists when he saw it was a friend from his unit. "Peace, Marcel. Save it," he said. "We're splitting up. Captain's orders. You're to join that group over there." His friend gestured to a small group of soldiers milling about. Marcel nodded understanding and started to walk over to the group, when his friend called out again. "Listen, Marcel, there's a tavern down that road--" here he pointed again "--that somehow remained untouched during the siege. After you're done, meet the rest of us there, we'll have some drinks, okay?"

Foch nodded again and waved. "All right, Andre. I'll see you there," he called. Talking had helped temper his feelings, but now his shame was overpowering again as he reached this new group of people. They were talking amongst themselves, and Foch prayed that none of them had witnessed his dishonor. No one really paid him any mind, save the leader of the group, to whom Foch was just another man to count. Having satisfied himself that he had all the men he was supposed to have, the sergeant cleared his throat for attention.

"All right, men, our orders are to go and secure the southwest wallgate. There are still some pockets of French hiding around in the city, so keep your eyes peeled. We don't want an ambush. Any questions? No? Good, let's move out."

The small troop began to march south. Before going very far, the sergeant looked Foch over again. "Hey, soldier. Where are your weapons?"

Foch, though only wanting to be alone with his thoughts, was nonetheless relieved at this further proof that none of these men had seen him shamed. He shrugged, "They were broken in the battle."

The sergeant grumbled something about uselessness, kicked at a piece of rubble, and turned back to Foch. "Go back to the breach in the wall. Outside there should still be some replacement weapons left. Get some, and double-time it back this way. If you don't catch up to us, keep heading towards the wallgate. And don't die on the way back, all right? You might still be useful as cannon fodder." Scowling, the sergeant wheeled back to his own men, growling, "Let's move!"

Foch turned his back to the receding troops, ears burning. The Breton marched lethargically back north, not really wanting to run into anybody right then. Foch stewed in his disgrace, getting angrier and angrier and working up an almost irrational fury towards Graham Clark. By the time he neared the breach in the wall he was almost unable to think of anything other than revenge.

And lo, who else did Foch spy up upon the walls than the general Clark? Mind racing, Marcel ducked into the shadow of a ruined building. I need a weapon! Damn! he thought. Then, an idea dawned on him. Wait, no I don't... Foch allowed himself a satisfied chuckle and emerged from the shadows, walking towards the wall. Clambering up a ladder, he glanced about. Only two people immediately nearby, both Bretons, and both walking towards him. Foch brushed past them nonchalantly. Now all that remained between him and Clark, some ways along the ramparts, were Clark's two English companions.

Several hundred yards away, at the breach in the wall, Foch spied a large piece of rubble precariously hanging over the main part of the opening. Walking towards Clark, Foch heard a rumble as part of the wall finally gave way and crumbled down into the street below, and Foch heard people cry out faintly.

Clark heard it, too. His head snapping to the left at the first rumble, Clark pointed towards the distant breach. "Argh... go and make sure nothing important was damaged," Foch heard the general growl to his aides, who snapped to attention and tramped off in the direction of the incident.

Marcel Foch could hardly believe his luck, even allowing himself a brief smile as he drew ever closer to the general. The Breton's heart skipped half a dozen beats when Clark, finally noticing someone walking towards him on an otherwise deserted rampart, turned and looked at him. After a few seconds, recognition dawned on the general's face, and he sneered at the Breton before turning back to gaze over the city he had conquered, that same smug look upon his features. Foch, burning anew with shame and fury, covered the last few yards with great speed. Finally, checking once more that the other soldiers had descended from the wall, Foch pushed off with his left leg and buried his shoulder into the back of the Englishman.

At first, nothing happened. Clark simply teetered at the edge of the ramparts. Then, with a grunt that seemed more annoyance than fear or anything else, Graham Ulysses Clark toppled off the walls of Nantes toward the buildings below.

Marcel Foch forced himself to keep walking. He heard a crash, and a quick look behind him saw straw flying into the air where the general had smashed through the thatch roof of a house. Foch kept walking. He had to get out of here, now...

---

There were already a few people from his group of friends in the tavern when Foch arrived. "Ah, Marcel! You yet live, eh?" Andre exclaimed when Foch entered, getting up and pressing a mug of ale into his fellow Breton's hands. Taking a quick swig of the warm liquor, Marcel nearly proclaimed his news for the whole tavern to hear, but thought better of it. He would wait until all his friends had arrived, and just announce it once.

It was nearly an hour and a half before everyone straggled in, the assembled drinking a toast to each successive arrival. The tavern was a busy place: not many of them were left standing, much less still stocked with alcohol. Foch's was not the only group there; there were many other Bretons there and even an Englishman. The French were conspicuously absent--most had fled the city before the siege had even started. A while after Marcel arrived, a couple-three men in dark cloaks slipped into the bar, whom Marcel suspected were French not eager to give away that fact among Bretons but still alcoholic enough to brave their company to get free liquor--the bartender was one of the absent Frenchmen, so each man got his own drinks.

Finally the last of Foch's unit arrived, and was greeted as had been every one before him. "Michel, you yet live! At last, we have all arrived!" Andre shouted again.

The newcomer glanced around, then responded jovially, "Ah, no we haven't, Anton isn't here yet." Another Breton shook his head grimly, all the information Michel needed. "Oh," he muttered, and sank into an open seat. Marcel raised his mug.

"To Anton," he intoned, and his mates echoed him, and drank to their fallen friend's memory. "I daresay, though, that I have better news," Foch continued, now standing up, causing heads to turn around the tavern. Raising his mug on high, he shouted, "Graham Clark is no more!!!" and took a deep drink.

When he brought his mug back down, grinning, Foch scanned the reactions of the men in the tavern. Predictably, the sole Englishman looked shocked, both at the news and at the uproarious reactions from most of the Bretons in the tavern. Odd that the Frenchmen should be so quiet, you'd think that they'd be the happiest, after all, he did invade thei--

It was only then that Foch noticed the straw protruding from the top of the boot of one of the cloak-clad men at the bar.

"Kaoc'h!" Marcel exclaimed in his native tongue, starting to dash for the tavern door. The lead man in black was too quick, however, interdicting his path and blocking his escape. Panicking, the Breton backed up and found himself blocked again by the two other cloaked men.

"Seize him!" the man in the doorway shouted, throwing back the hood of his cloak to reveal the now-battered face of Graham Ulysses Clark. "Arrest them all!!!"

Damn Marcel silly man pushing the English general over the top like that, he should have got a weapon instead and made sure he finished the English man once and for all. Now he is in for some trouble I guess. Great update, looking forward to the next one :)

A crow's harsh cry was the only sound echoing upon the walls of Nantes. A long plank now bridged the breach in the wall, and a long, thick rope above it. Upon the plank rested the feet of 14 Breton soldiers, and from the rope were tied their nooses.

Brigadier General Graham Ulysses Clark stood to one side of the plank, surveying both the crowd and the condemned. The crowd, mostly Breton soldiers, looked on in general silence, somberly gazing up at their former comrades. The men on the plank, too, mostly stood in silence, some gazing numbly out over the city, others staring up at the sky, mouthing silent prayers.

The mouth of the man closest to Clark was moving too, but anything but silently. From it issued an unending string of Breton curses, aimed directly at the Englishman's back. Finally, Clark could stand it no longer, and wheeled around on the Breton.

"Silence, you dishonorable cur! I saved your life, you Breton dog, and you repay me with a trip into some peasant's attic?"

Completely unfazed, Marcel Foch continued to fume. "I would rather have died, than to have my honor sullied by a damned Englishman! I could have died in glorious battle, not live with eternal shame!"

"How about dying on the end of a rope? How honorable is that?" Clark took satisfaction in the fact that the Breton stopped cursing him, though fury still shone on his face. "Glory? Honor? Fine. You want to die in battle?"

Foch flinched as the general drew his sword and stepped out onto the plank with him, but instead of slicing Foch he sliced the rope of his noose and took a step backward. "Last I remember, you were defenseless on the ground with a huge sword about to skewer you. Honorable death, huh? Well, I don't have nearly as big of a sword, but it'll have to do. And the ground's all the way down there! Oh well, I guess we'll just have to reverse the order, won't we!"

Marcel Foch's eyes widened in shock as Clark nonchalantly flipped his sword up from his side and the Breton suddenly found it hard to breathe, gleaming metal protruding from his chest. Clark withdrew his blade from the gasping man, whose hands clutched at his wound and did nothing to try to stop Clark's swift kick from sending him tumbling off the beam and into the street below.

Some battle, Clark thought before turning to face the crowd below. He spat down on the crumpled form below him, then pointed in turn to the body and those still bound upon the plank with his still-dripping sword. "Thus to all who betray me! Treason has but one outcome, men: death, by my hand or my men." The mercenary-general stepped back off the plank and onto the wall, and with a few more kicks sent the beam slipping off one side of the breach and then the other, leaving his other "examples" to kick and dangle in the cool midday air.

Sic semper proditor, Clark thought, drawing back on his childhood Latin education. Thus always to traitors.

Seems like Clark really hates traitors, well I guess Marchel and his friends really got what they deserved. Nice update, just hope the Bretons won’t start killing the English soldiers because of this. Looking forward to the next update :)

Edit: Post 1400 :D :D

Arnaud Burke flipped another silver piece onto the tavern counter, earning him another tankard of ale and another strange look at the scarred hand that had tossed the coin. "Wait here, I know of a person you will probably want to meet," Marc had said, but the old soldier-turned-farmer had been gone for over an hour, leaving Burke in a dingy tavern, alone with his thoughts and the stares of the other patrons.

As usual, Burke's thoughts turned to war, this time evoked by the still-lingering war ravages in the Burgundian capital of Dijon. The tavern and surrounding neighborhood had been rebuilt already, but much of the city still showed signs that the Breton army had been through it.

Burke quaffed his drink angrily. He had had so much hope for a Breton breakdown upon the death of the Grand Duchess Anne, but the new one, Claude, seemed all too content to let the generals run the war on the front, and with Morpheus leading that particular group the war had continued smoothly for Bretagne. After the fall of Nantes, French resistance largely collapsed, with Clark's and Morpheus's armies cutting pieces out of French lands. With Clark's decisive destruction of the last attempt of France to retake Paris and the Île de France, there was effectively no one left to stop the Breton army from doing whatever it wanted.

Burke grunted. Hate them as he did, he could not bring himself to deny Morpheus's and now Clark's ascendant military prowess, nor Morpheus's newfound political skill. It was the Breton general who had shaped much of the treaty to end the war, and it was not until recently that Burke had truly noted the cleverness of it. Breton lands now stretched for miles south of the Loire River, while her vassal Savoy had annexed the land around Clermont, enough to create the crucial land connection between the halves of Breton territory, north and south. Along with the two provinces shorn from Burgundian low country, these acquisitions completely separated France and Burgundy on either half of a wall of Bretagne and its allies. No longer did France divide Brittany's holdings--now it was the other way around.

He brought his hand out from under his cloak--onlookers be damned--and flexed his scarred fingers. It was over a year since the battle now, and he was almost strong enough to wield a dagger large enough to be deadly in his right hand. Of course, he didn't really need to--Marc had proved to be a very effective tutor, and Burke was almost his match as a swordsman with his left hand... almost. The old man still beat him soundly on a regular basis, but the young Burgundian was at least dealing out some victories of his own nowadays.

Burke finished his drink, looked around, and rose. Marc had been gone for a very long time now, and Burke figured he should try to look for the old man. Before he made it to the door, however, it opened and in strode the farmer, another man in tow. The first things Burke noticed about the man were the dark scars crisscrossing one side of his face. "What is this, the Mangled Men Association of Burgundy or something?" Burke muttered as Marc drew him into away from the bar and into a lone booth with the newcomer. A stern look from the old man stifled any further comments, though, and he began speaking in low tones:

"This is the man I mentioned earlier... I believe he has a proposition that may interest you, Arnaud..."

Oh a cliff-hanger, I wonder what this is. But something tells me it might be a cunning plan to either restart the war or to murder Clark and/or Morpheus or maybe both :eek:
I can’t wait to read what happens next :)

Gasp--Cow Pie, the other CP, is back? Good to see you, man, I thought you'd disappeared for good!

Oh, and thanks! :p

To be honest, I had kinda given up on that you were gone for good, and never integrated the possible storyline that would have made Klaus Peiper in there and live forever. I'm sure you'll show up at some point, though--you just won't be immortal ;)

Good Heaven, Morpheus!

I just stumbled across this. Not that I'm not familiar with the title... just haven't dropped in before now.

Talk about a long-term project!!! :D

Great to see you still carrying through with this!

Renss

"So, what did you think of her?"

Morpheus grimaced and stared straight forward, keeping his eyes locked rigidly on the road ahead. Bayard had asked him the same question back in Brest, no sooner had they left the throne room of the new Grand Duchess. He had managed to evade the question then, saying that he needed time to think about it and to ask him later. Apparently, later had arrived.

Morpheus sighed. He still didn't quite know what to think, and said as much. "I'm a soldier, Damien, I'm not paid to think about that sort of thing."

Bayard made a face, as much at Morpheus' use of his first name as at his evasiveness. "If that were so, you would not have asked for time to think about it back in Brest! There's more going on in that head than you let on, out with it."

Morpheus threw up his hands in surrender to the other's persistence. "Okay, okay, you win. Anyway... speaking first and strictly as a soldier, everything is peachy. Claude doesn't seem to be interested in the affairs of the military, and I believe she will be content to leave the army to its own devices, let us do whatever we want..."

"But?..." Bayard prompted.

"I don't know... something makes me uneasy. She's not as sharp as Anne was, and that concerns me. She has surrounded herself with counselors, and I don't trust that, most advisors strike me as not having the best interests of the realm at heart, unless they are chosen wisely, and I don't have the best faith in her ability to choose wisely. There's one in particular... had a kinda weird-looking face, it seemed off-color somehow, and I had a bad feeling about him. I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd seen him before, that I knew him from somewhere, but could not place it."

Bayard slapped him on the back. "Ah, it's all in your head, man! It's all fine, especially since, like you say, we can do whatever we want." Winking, Bayard went on, "And right now, I want to get back to Marseilles. It's such a nice city, wouldn't you say?"

Morpheus chuckled. "Yeah, when it's not rebelling." This elicited a booming laugh from Bayard, and the two of them continued riding south, their cavalry bodyguards following a short distance behind.

Nice to see a new update. So you have got a new ruler, well that could make things interesting, especially if it is true that the counsellors she have are men with little interest for the country and only for their own good. Well I am looking forward to see it anyway :)