• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Morpheus506

The Little Corporal
26 Badges
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
RuleBretagniaad.txt

Edit: Author's Note- Coming back and reading over the first bit of this, I have to admit it seems kinda dumb now, 2 years after I started this thing. Anybody who starts to read this, bear with me. It gets better, I think, as I got more used to this style.

Last edited:
Breton Throne Room, January 1st, 1492
"Greetings! Have a seat, general."
General Morpheus saluted, then took an elaborately decorated seat. Duchess Anne of the Bretons addressed him once more.
"So, my friend, why is it that you have come to see me? It's New Year's Day, and surely you could be at a party or friendly gathering rather than coming to talk to me?"
Morpheus fidgeted slightly, then spoke. "Well, your highness, I have come to speak with you about the matter of the Breton Empire."
"Empire?" The duchess asked incredulously. "Ha! How can anyone call this poor rathole of a duchy an empire? We're lucky France has let us remain independent for so long!"
"That's precisely the point. We have no empire, just a pathetic peninsula watched over by Big Brother France." Morpheus twisted his face in mocking disgust as he said the name of Brittany's large neighbor. "This is a problem. National pride is at an all-time low, and many peasants, even some nobles on the border, are emigrating over to France. If this keeps up," the general said sadly, "we will lose all autonomy and become just another province of France!"
Morpheus stood and began pacing. "The only way to stop this," he mused, "is to gain territory. We have two options." He stopped walking. "Do you know what those are, Duchess Anne?"
The queen blinked several times. "No... Pray tell, what are these options?"
"Both involve great effort and hardship. Remeber that. Our first option is to launch an attack on England."
Anne laughed. "England? How can you consider that hard? With France on our side, we--"
Morpheus cut her off. "No. We cannot rely on France. For one, you know as well as I that King Charles thinks of himself first and only then of his allies and friends. If any territory is gained in England, he will not hand it over to us, but keep it for himself. Second, you must always remember England's navy. England possesses the most powerful fleet in the world. We barely have a fleet at all, and the French will not transport one of our armies on their ships. If we are to attack England, we must wait until our fleet is strong enough to withstand an assault by theirs."
"Oh, I see... So then, what is your other suggestion?" Duchess Anne inquired.
"To attack Big Brother France."
"No!" gasped the duchess. "We cannot strike at France, not when Charles and his predecessors have let our nation remain free all this time!"
"Those are our only options." Morpheus sighed, then continued: "France's army is very powerful, and we have very slim chances of winning in 1-on-1 battle, but, if we can strike when France is preoccupied with, say, Spain or Austria, we could raise our flag over a swath of territory from Armor to Paris, and even take Orleans! If we could acquire Orleans in a treaty, its goods could give us the capital we need to make a strong navy and attack England. In my opinion, this is the best option."
"I am unsure..." The duchess looked it, too. "Your plan seems to work in theory, but I don't know how the remaining nobles, not to mention the peasantry, would react to turning on our overlord and guardian.
"Do not worry, my lady." Morpheus smiled knowingly. "I have agents among the populace, as well as men close to the most powerful lords left in the nation, who are working to help create anti-French sentiment. If we are to turn on France, many of our people will rejoice rather than revolt."
Morpheus saluted again, then turned and left the throne room. Duchess Anne watched the general leave. She rose from her chair to follow, then thought better of it. Looking down, she set back to composing her next ducal edict.

Last edited:
Breton Military Headquarters, January 3rd, 1492
General Morpheus looked around the table. All the leaders of the Breton military were there. Morpheus, of course, high commander of all land forces in the nation; Lord Admiral Pellaeon, supreme commander of the Navy; Lieutenant General Bayard, Morpheus' second in command; Admiral Piett, Pellaeon's most trusted subordinate; Major Generals Jean and Pierre Cousteau, brothers of high prestige but fanatically loyal to France--Morpheus doubted how effective thy would be when the inevitable war begun; Brigadier Michel d'Orleans, recently promoted but still an effective and able leader.
Also in attendance were a small group of Frenchmen: Field Marshal Foix and his retainers. Foix was sympathetic to Morpheus' cause, and was rallying support among the French army.
Morpheus cleared his throat. "Well, gentlemen, how good of you to come. Surely by now you have heard of my plan, oui?" Murmurs of agreement met his query. "So then, do you all agree with said plan?"
In sharp contrast to the sounds of "Yes" and "Of course" emanating from around the room, the Cousteau brothers shouted "No!" in unison. Pierre continued: "Surely you are crazy! France is our greatest ally in Europe! Without them, Brittany would be overrun by Spaniards, Englishmen, and whoever else would want to conquer our lands! We must not attack France."
"Ah, but that is where you are wrong. France is not an ally at all: they are an oppressor. The French royal family has been pressuring Queen Anne to surrender sovereignty to them for decades, thus eliminating Brittany as any kind of independent state. The state of our nation is declining. French influence is taking a hard toll on our citizens, and we must show the world that Brittany is capable of taking its destiny in its own hands."
"But the problem is that we can't! We don't have anywhere near the manpower to face France head-on!" This time it was Jean Cousteau that spoke out. "I refuse to have anything to do with this scheme of yours. Good day!"
Cousteau rose and stormed out, closely followed by his brother. Morpheus looked towards Bayard and jerked his head at the door. Bayard rose and quickly headed out the door, gesturing for a guard to come too. Shortly after, sounds of scuffling followed by two loud thuds could be heard from the next room, and seconds later Bayard and the guard returned to the table.
Morpheus smiled an alarmingly cheerful smile. "Well, now we seem to all be in agreement!"
"Sir, yes, sir!" the rest chorused eagerly.
"Wonderful! Meeting adjourned." With that, they all filed out of the room.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Lord British
This looks like a good one.

That's what I'm hoping! :D

EDIT: 1900 Posts! Woo, that's the second time straight that I've gotten 100 posts in a week :D :D :D

Admiral Pellaeon loved the docks. Having been a fisherman before joining the navy, the hustle and bustle of the harbor would always be a part of him. But today, he was here for less joyous circumstances than visiting old haunts. A fleet of 16 warships had appeared out of the North, each flying a red St. George's Cross, and docked in Brest's harbor. They had then disgorged a total of thirteen thousand red-uniformed soldiers and twenty-six hundred men on horseback. Now, he was here to find out why.

As he approached the seething mass of pikemen marching to a hurriedly made camp outside the city walls, he shouted "What is going on here?! Who is in charge of this?"

At the sound of Pellaeon's voice, two men in slightly fancier uniforms than the ones around them looked up and approached him. Smiling, the first one stuck out his hand and said "Ah, you must be Admiral Pellaeon. Colonel Graham Clark, at your service. This is my brother, Commodore Douglas Clark." The latter extended his hand as well.

Warily, the admiral shook each of their hands. "Are all you Brits so polite during an invasion?"

"Oh, my dear admiral, this is no invasion," said Morpheus as he materialized from the shadowy alley beside them. "I sent for them. It seems King Henry is sympathetic to our cause."

"Well, I do wish you would've told someone. The whole city's nuts. Everyone thinks we're under attack!"

Watching the spectacle, Morpheus said "Yes, well, I apparently didn't." He turned to the two Englishmen. "Ah yes. Here are your new uniforms," he said, and handed them two sets of gray clothing. One star glinted on each shoulder. "Oh, I took the liberty of making you both proper officers while I was at it."

"Sir, thank you, sir!" Then, saluting, the Clarks took their uniforms and marched back towards their ships, where the red cross was being replaced with the black and silver of Brittany.

All right I have something to say now....

You're not gonna let me sweep the OscAARs, are you? *EotS is the only nominee so far!!!!!!!!*

Go nominate more stuff, people!

Great start Morpehus:D:D

It appears that your plug worked :D Great start as always

Oh, and another thing. Before I really get into the character descriptions (I'm trying to make this a Turtledove-style thing with a whole lot of characters, btw), is there anyone who'd like to have themselves included somehow?

I've already got Grahamule in there, if you noticed :D

I DO NOT HAVE A BROTHER NAMED DOUGLAS, YOU KNOW THAT! :wacko: (woohooooo eyes rolling smiley)

anyway...what happened to the 'deleted' save files? Or are you starting over? You gonna try to do the same thing?

ok time for some more inside jokes...
Woohoo Pellaeon!
The Seagulls Cometh... the name of the next chapter

ok /inside jokes
Good start, and i'll race ya :p

Originally posted by Grahamule
I DO NOT HAVE A BROTHER NAMED DOUGLAS, YOU KNOW THAT! :wacko: (woohooooo eyes rolling smiley)
Heh, well you do now. Don't worry, [censored, no plot hints :D]

anyway...what happened to the 'deleted' save files? Or are you starting over? You gonna try to do the same thing?

What deleted save files? :confused:

I'm not gonna try as hard as in my famous WC before 1570 game, purposely messing up a few times to make it interesting.

NOTE: A good deal of story line has been formulated in my head, and I'm gonna have it as important a part to the game as the game is to the story... you know, triggering events when I want them to, going to war vs. some countries randomly, [more censoring:p]
Good start, and i'll race ya :p

Whaddya mean by racing me?

Originally posted by Lord British
Well, if you can somehow fit me in, I would love to be in this AAR.:D

All right... for an ingame name, how does Lord Elliot British, Duke of Wales, strike you? I might edit you in as a leader, too, if you'd like .... :rolleyes:

After a year of active command there, Brigadier General Graham Ulysses Clark was finally getting comfortable in Lorient. Sharing the camps outside the city with a small army commanded by Marshal Foix, Clark's army was scheduled to receive a new batch of recruits within days.

He couldn't help worrying about the economy though. Queen Anne and General Morpheus's policies were running it into the ground. The 1493 census taxes were supposed to resuscitate it, but still he worried about what would happen if the state went bankrupt.

He had heard that Morpheus was on the verge of severing ties with France and starting the war. Perhaps he hoped to capture Orleans. That would certainly boost the economy a great deal. At least Clark hoped so.

The more he thought about it, the bigger war seemed to loom on the horizon. Royal marriages had been arranged with England and Spain, anti-French rallies were being held in the major cities of Brest, Lorient, and Saint-Malo, and troops were being raised and garrisoned near the Franco-Breton border. He had also heard that envoys were being sent to other members of the Alliance inquiring whether or not they would support Brittany, withdraw from the Alliance, and join the new Breton one. According to rumor, Lorraine and the Polish-Lithuanian Empire were supportive of the proposals.

"Sir, your presence is requested with Marshal Foix."

Shaken out of his thoughts, Clark turned and saw his adjutant, Jean-Marc Gurande, poking his head inside the tent. "Very well," he said. "Tell the Field Marshall that I will be there shortly......"

Originally posted by Morpheus506
All right... for an ingame name, how does Lord Elliot British, Duke of Wales, strike you? I might edit you in as a leader, too, if you'd like .... :rolleyes:

Yes, that name is very striking indeed. Brilliant:)

Do you want to be a leader?

All right, I'll edit you into the files somewhere.

It's kind of funny, I just keep sucking leaders away from China, Nippon, the Indian powers, etc, to add people in :p

Oh and bocaj will be in too, whether he knows it or not :D

I'll explain later :D