• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vaclav considered this offer. Milanese were a bit of threat indeed, but if nothing else both states were part of the Holy Roman Empire. They wouldn't dare to attack each other anyway, but it might be wiser to sign some sort of official paper so that it will be clear on who's side is the law.

Vaclav felt somewheat proud. Such an important meeting and he managed it all by himself, yet for him it wasn't as exciting as hunts around Krivoklat castle. "They say I can't rule! Hah! It's just that I don't want to, not that I couldn't!"

We have throughtly considered your request, we believe that no one would dare to attack his brother from empire, yet much trickery was seen on this world already. Therefor, We, Vaclav IV Imperator Mundi, give you our word that within half of a year we shall issue a bulle confirming your claims to Modena and Ferrara. Let us hope that no doubts will be left after that.

Ruprecht 'Klem' presented himself in the throne Room as the Imperial Diet Room was quiet at the time, he had visited the City of Praha and now was time to work in his County's interest.

rup3cp5lo.jpg

Our Great and Illustrious Emperor Wenzel von Luxemburg, my Grand Uncle Count-Elector and Prince Imperial Ruprecht 'der Rote' your Faithfull serve has sent me to your Court to serve as his Ambassor as he believes that our people, the people of the Reich deserves that their Rulers are united and that is even more important between the Electors and so would be glad if you send him some ambassor to Heidelberg.

It was a quiet evening in Prague castle. This wasn't very usual, usually there was lots of noise as king held another feast, there was a lot of pompe as king left for some of his other castles...not usual at all.

Servants were quiet all day, they were afraid that the silence is here for a reason and that they might get punished if they will talk.
Vaclav IV sat at his table eating some fruits as Jan z Jenstejna approached him.

Your majesty...

Vaclav looked on him and if a simple look could maim archbishop z Jenstejna would have to spend rest of his life lying on bed.

Yes?

He asked with a reserved but polite voice cold as snow. His antipathy was almost physical.

Your majesty, I have heard you let a heretic from avignon escape from Prague. What is the meaning of this? Did you finally decide to take side?

Archbishop could control his voice better, yet it was still full of sarcasm.

What are you accusing us from?
Absolutely nothing your majesty! Absolutely! It is just a bit strange that we have enough of men to destroy europe but still we're unable to find a heretic in Prague. God would guide our men and we'd find him immediately! But no, instead he disappeares.

A vein began to pulse on emperor's forehead but he still managed to control himself.

Indeed. Most unfortunate.

He wanted to say something more but decided to remain quiet instead. Archbishop tried to approach emperor from a bit different angle.

Your majesty, we must take the winning side immediately! It is clear that roman pope will be victorious. He has support of rich italians and strong poles and Hungarians. Even byzantian emperor is against avignon pope. I beg you your majesty don't let those rumours about your supposed incompetency spread. Take actions and strike avignon hard while you can!

Vein began to pulse somewheat more. He couldn't take it anymore and exploded.

Incompetency?! Are you accusing US of incompetency?! Or are you saying that We have no idea what others say?! WE the roman emperor! We're beloved by our subjects, even by german lords! It is only YOU who seeks problems where are none! The wisest men of church still couldn't find concensus for such a long time and you ask US to decide within a few days which side to take?! Go! Leave me alone!

For rest of the day the castle continued to be silent. Now for a good reason.

Last edited:
Unto His August Majesty, Vaclav, Holy Roman Emperor, King of Bohemia, Margrave of Moravia, etc.,
Your August Majesty,

I wish to convey the fervent belief of my King and the Regents that Bohemia and the Empire will enjoy unbounded prosperity under your wise reign. During my life, I have seen lords whose lands have decayed because of their incapacity to govern, and others who have collapsed because of their unnecessary and frankly harmful desire to see every minute detail of state pass their eye and meet their approval. By all that I have heard, Your August Majesty transcends the petty faults of these lords, just as your authority as Emperor transcends the majesty of monarchs.

We in France have been perenially grateful for the Empire, a successor to Charlemagne and a beacon of hope and glory to the world. We celebrated the momentous pact between Your August Majesty's father and our late King, and I compose this message in the hope that some measure of that friendship may be rekindled again.

I know the terrible schism divides Christendom and turns brother against brother. So does our young King, and we in France will work to reunite what has been torn asunder. We have no wish to broach the friendship between Praha and Rome, and also want to avoid pressure or the appearance of of pressure upon Your August Majesty to take sides in this schism, for to do so would be most unkind. All that I ask is that despite the grave division on matters ecclesiastical that Your August Majesty permit us to communicate with Your August Majesty and officers of the Crown, so that we may try to cultivate some friendship despite the agendas of others who only desire to drive Christendom further apart.

Furthermore, in the spirit of demonstrating our commitment to upholding law and justice, as well as honoring Your August Majesty's hallowed office, our King desires to swear fealty to Your August Majesty for the fief of Dauphine de Viennois, as his father did swear before him to the Emperor. I pray that you will accept this humble gesture of respect and continue to listen to the sincere letters of France.

Richard Picque, Archbishop of Reims​

Nicolo had made the journey through the hills and mountaints north of Venice with little inconvenience other than cold hands and feet. It had taken some time but finally he had arrived in Bohemia and arrived one day, after meeting with various Venetian's in town, at the court of Vaclav IV. He presented himself, with his letters of introduction to a court official.

"Sir, I am Nicolo d'Armano, come from the Republic of Venice to act as agent and ambassador of the Republic in the court of his most August Majesty Vaclav IV, King of Bohemia, Margrave of Moravia, Duke of Luxembourg, Holy Roman Emperor." He paused after spitting out the long title and taking a deep breath concluded, "I am here primarily seeking to reinforce the old agreements of trade between Venice and these lands, and to be at His Majesty's disposal if he should have need of the Republic. I request an audience at His Majesty's leisure."

Vaclav looked into the hallway as he saw a man asking wheter he could see him.
His hands begun to sweat as he looked for nearest escape route. "We must get away before he'll find us! Oh god not more negotiations!"

As he made his way to nearest room where he could hide he encountered Zbynek z Fridku and gave him full rights to negotiate with the Italian.

So there he was, standing in throne room welcoming Venetian.

Welcome to Prague esteemed guest! His majesty is currently unavailable, he is suffering from ah...very bad case of ah...russian...russian cold. Yes. A new and very rare disease, you must excuse him.

Now, I have been given full rights to negotiate with you concerning anything you would like to discuss. Your travel was pleasant I hope? Please tell me, what do you seek here? What is your mission?

D'armano could have sworn he saw a man dash away from him and into a room suspiciously, but before he could give it much thought he was approached by a representative of the court. He bowed to this man, and was shocked to hear of the Emperor's illness. He began sadly,

"Noble Lord, it brings me great sorrow to hear of his August Majesty's illness, I trust god shall see fit to bring him through this trial." Nicolo realized he did not know this mans name and asked respectuflly, "My journey was rather pleasant, if a bit cold, but I realize now that I do not know your name sir. As to my business I am sent on behalf of the Republic of Venice to cement our relations of trade and hopefully work towards a deal to expand such dealings between Venice and Bohemia."

You have a trurly noble mission and I will do my best to help you in it.

Excuse me for not introducing myself, my name is Zbynek z Fridku, and I have the honor to call myself the most trusted advisor of his majesty. Please tell me, what can you offer, apart from your friendship of course?

We can offer silver from southern mountains, the best Lusatian beer that earned respect of germans throught the empire, Moravian wine, some say it's better than french, timber...

Our lands are very rich, no doubt about it. And pray tell me, is there anything true about that slandering rumour that you support this vile "king" of Naples against Hungarian crown and it's allies?

Zbynek shook his head.

Too often people nowadays forget that Bohemia and Hungary will be in very close union soon, should everything work well.

As z Fridku introduced himself Nicolo bowed and was duly impressed, sometimes it was better to see the councilor than the ruler himself, and so far that seemed the case here. The Venetian was glad the man seemed so congenial, and at least somewhat knowledgable of trade, but when he spoke of rumours that Venice supported Naples claim to Hungary his face took on a surprised look and he stepped backwards just slightly.

"My Lord!" he exclaimed heartily, "Slanderous rumours they are, for I have not heard it spoke in Venice nor any other place I have been that Venice has taken any side in the affairs of the Hungarian succession other than to hope and pray for peace." He paused and calmed himself a bit and then continued, "Venice is primarily, and always has been primarily interested in trade, and Naples controlling the straits of Otranto and Apulian ports is a very important partner in said trade for Venice. If some who would spread vile rumours think that agreements of trade between Venice and Naples are a sign of dynastic support though, they are either naive, or purely malicious against the Republic. But I shall say no more on this as to not justify such a fallacious rumour."

D'armano, satisfied that he had defended the honour of the Republic turned to matters of trade. "As far as imports are concerned Lord, we seek all that you mentioned, as well as iron ores, and the renowned looking glasses from the north of Germany, and we offer a multitude of goods in barter. Venice can supply cotton and wool for Bohemia's manufacturies; spices, herbs, incense, and all variety of luxuries for your nobles and merchants, as well as any wine one should like to have. As well our lands in Candia produce a fine grade of sugar, which has become much in demand. There is very little Venice can not provide, and it is the opinon of the Republic, holding Bohemia in esteem as a very important partner of trade, that by coming to a mutually beneficial arrrangement the volume and profitability of the trade can be greatly increased. Venice should seek primarily a discount in the tools it is charged for doing business in Bohemia, and for that would be willing to offer better prices on some of it staple goods."

Nicolo stopped, to give Zybnek some time to digest what was said, and the Venetian stood erect patienly awaiting a response.

Zbynek remained motionless as he tried to evaluate an offer he was given. After a while he spoke to Venetian again.

Your offer is tempting and very interesting. I am sure you have much to offer, and I have decided to accept this deal you are offering.

Please draw up a treaty and we shall sign it, but only under one condition.

That condition is that Venice shall never do any harm towards Bohemia or it's allies, in that case this treaty would be nullified. Of course we fully trust Venetian sense of honor but we would still like this to be added to treaty

Nicolo nodded as the Bohemian made his insistence on a pledge of non-aggression and D'armano reviewing his directives from Venice could see no reason why not to include that in the treaty.

"Noble Lord, as Venice is interested first in trade, and wishes friendship with Bohemia I shall happily induce an aspect of non-aggression into our agreement."

The Venetian took some time to draft his proposal and then submitted unto Zybnek.

Bohemian - Venetian Accord of Non-Aggression and Trade​

I. Bohemia and Venice shall endeavour to do one another no harm pledging to forgo violence against one another or any allies of one another. Any violation of this is grounds for breaking of this aggreement.

II. Venice shall have free access to all Bohemian markets and in those markets enjoy a reduction in tolls of 50%.

III. Venice shall purchase in large quantities silver,iron, and other metals, as well as timber from Bohemian merchants at a discounted price relative to the quantity purchased, gaining a larger discount for larger purchases.

IV. Venice shall offer a reduction in price, based on quantity, on raw goods (sugar, wool, cotton) it carries to Bohemian markets, on terms of cash exchange or barter, per negotiation.

V. Venice gaurantees Bohemia an annual volume of trade to ensure a mutually beneifical agreement.

[] Antonio Veniero, Doge of Venice
[] Vaclav IV, King of Bohemia, etc...

"How does this suit your lordship?" D'armano asked as his counterpart took the paper from his hand.

Zbynek hesitated a bit, noticing that something wasn't just right about wording of it. Eventually he shook his head and said

Very well then. I shall present this treaty to his majesty, he will sign it, no doubt.

Gaspard de Montmayeur, Baron de Villarsalet, Chevalier de Collier, had ridden hard and long. Of all the messengers leaving Savoy with the sad tidings to friends, allies and lieges, he had the longest to travel.

Yet, with a steady trot and fresh supplies of horses he and his retinue had made it to Prague. As he entered the centre of the Holy Roman Empire he wasted no time to find shelter or comfort, but rode straight to the Royal Palace, leaving the boring details to squires and aids.

Upon reaching the palace gates he quickly gained access to a high ranking court official and stated his business,

“I am Gaspard de Montmayeur, Baron de Villarsalet, Chevalier de Collier, I have been sent from Chambery, from the County of Savoy, to bring tidings to his most Glorious Majesty, the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, regarding his most loyal Prince of the Empire, Count Amadeus VI of Savoy. Please see to it that I gain audience as quickly as possible.”

Nicolo returned Zybnek's nod and prepared to wait. The Venetian busied himself with the writing of many letters back to Venice. His family, his superiors, his business partners. The weather was beginning to warm up outside, and that would certainly increase the flow of trade through the mountains to Venice, and vice versa. He smiled at that, he would not be in Bohemia for ever, he had other courts within the Empire to visit, and Venice had operations in all the large cities of Germany. He could do some prospecting of his own while on those travels and from what he had heard from others in Venice there was much money to be made in the northern cities. It was some days later when he learned that the treaty had been ratified in Venice, and shortly after he received confirmation that Vaclav IV ahd signed it. There were some matters to attend to before d'Armano could leave though, and it was with that in mind that he appeared again at court. He did not spy Zybnek so he called again on a nearby courtier.

"Noble sir, I am Nicolo d'Armano, recognized ambassador of the Republic of Venice at the grand court of His Most August Majesty Vaclav IV." He paused respectfully after this title. "I request an audience at his Majesty's convenience."

Vaclav IV eventually decided to give audience to Gaspard de Montmayeur, now he wondered what does his new guest wants.

Welcome to Prague noble traveller! May We ask you why are we graced by your presence?

Gaspard de Montmayeur, knelt before the Emperor,

“Noble Lord, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, I have travelled far to bring sad tidings. I have ridden hard from the far edges of your Empire, from Savoy to bring the sad tidings of the dying of Amadeus, the sixth of that name, named the green count of Savoy. He is laying in his death bed and the court physician do not think he will recover from the plaque he contracted fighting in Naples against the usurper King, Charles of Anjou.

The Count has send me here to bid me say that he is your ever loyal prince, and that he wishes for you to know that he expects his son Amadeus to take on the crown of the count, and the rule of both Savoy and assorted fiefs, and the lordship of Piedmont. He has sent me here to assure the continued support of Savoy for the Empire, and to make certain that the Empire equally will support his son’s rule over his assorted fiefs, as well as support any claims he may present.”

Emperor looked down on envoy and smiled. "Give me more nobles like these, and one day Holy Roman Empire could conquer the world"

He nodded in approval.

Believe me, noble envoy, that We, as Holy Roman Emperor will stand by Savoy aswell. It warms my heart to know we have such faithful and good allies, yet it brings tears to my eyes to know Amadeus is laying down on his bed sick. There must be hope for him yet, it is never late to cure sick!

Believe Us that We shall pray for him tonight, he is a good man.

Aside from this, tell him he and his son have our full and complete support on his claims toward throne of Naples.

Vaclav was in bad mood. He didn't liked formalities or audiences and this Venetian was asking for second already. The horror!

You again? Please tell Us, what are you asking for? And hurry up, We are about to depart on Krivoklat castle for some hunting.

One day László came into court and once again presented himself before the Emperor. After bowing deeply he spoke. "Your Imperial Majesty, it is my pleasure to inform You that construction of the summer palace is proceeding on schedule. Right beautiful the palace and its grounds are said to become. I have also heard that Your Imperial Majesty's brother has been well received in Buda. That is also why I am here, the Queen hopes that we can knit our ties even tighter with a formal alliance."

Pact of Prague
Alliance between Bohemia and Hungary

bohe4ja.png
hung8tb.png

With the growing ties of friendship between Bohemia and Hungary, the rulers of both Kingdoms have in their wisdom decded to ally in order to achieve common goals and interests.

Article I: In the event of an attack on either Bohemia or Hungary, the other Kingdom pledges to send military aid to repel the invader.

Article II: If either Kingdom declares war on a third party with a valid casus belli, it is expected that the other Kingdom sends support. This support may be in the form of military forces or funds. Ample warning must be given to the ally before declaring war.

Article III: Bohemia and Hungary will grant each other right of passage at all times. The signatories pledges that care will be taken, so that damages to the lands and people of each Kingdom is as small as possible. Looting in friendly territory is strictly forbidden.

Article IV: During times of war the two Kingdoms will aid the others military forces with supplies if needed.

Article V: Both Kingdoms pledges to not sign seperate peace in a common war.

[X] Vaclav IV, King of Bohemia, Margrave of Moravia, Holy Roman Emperor etc etc
[X] Mária Angevin, Queen of Hungary, and of Croatia, and of Slavonia, and of Dalmatia etc etc

"How does this look Your Majesty?"