• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For his part, the Emperor was bewildered. He had been told from a courtier that the Duke and Count would be able to see him now; that it was in the midst of a banquet caused no great concern. Fortunately, after giving his speech, he was ushered to a seat and served, as the first course was being served. Inwardly, he shrugged. There was nothing he could do about it now.

After the Count of Savoie declined his invitation, he inclined his head towards him, and said through the Jew, "I certainly understand your reason for declining, your Grace. I will note that, even if you can not fight at the moment, the Turks pressing against the Empire now are but one faction. There will no doubt be other Turks in the future threatening the Empire."

After the Duke of Anjou invited him to speak again later on the subject, he smiled. "Ah, your Grace, I intend to. You see, I also wish to invite both of your Graces to Paris, where I shall address the King of France and all the great lords of France, to garner as much support for this cause as can be mustered."

As the banquet broke up, the Emperor speaking to a minor knight in the service of the King of Mallorca, the Duke of Anjou approached King Theodore. The King replied, "Your Grace, the Kingdom of Mallorca is still divided, and my soldiers still control Menorca. However, I do intend to depart for the east, as the Emperor is my cousin, and I am obligated to support my cousin. The Emperor wishes to consult with the King of France and his marshals and other lords before deciding on a plan.. however, as for other allies, the Hungarians and the King of Sicily have both expressed support.. so we should not be fighting alone."

lagrange.gif

SUB IMMUNITATE APOSTOLICA HOC SUPPOSITUM EST.
QUISQUIS NUNTIUM MOLESTARE AUDEAT,
IPSO FACTO EXCOMMUNICETUR.

Jean Cardinal de la Grange, évêque de Frascati; au très haut & très puissant prince, Louis, Roi de Naples, Duc d’Anjou & de Touraine, Comte de Maine, Comte de Provence &c: salut.

Your kind letter I appreciate; your compliments, being unworthy of them, I reject. The meeting you propose is well desired by me as well: we do indeed have much to discuss. However, I cannot, at the moment, leave Avignon, thus I have to ask you to visit me here, if possible. Such a visit to Avignon would be most beneficial especially since His Holiness himself wishes your presence here. Please take this as a Papal summon, thus come with all due haste, &c.

I hope you and your family are all well, &c, &c.​
Written in Avignon, in the Incarnation of Our Lord MCCCLXXXIII,

Jean Card. de la Grange​