• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vissarion

The Royal Dutch of Dukes
53 Badges
Dec 22, 2002
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
My idea for this thread is that people who have succesfully configured their router for multiplayer post their set-up. Please don't post anything else, questions goes here .

This thread in the Victoria mp forum also contains links to some routers.

Routers currently covered:

-SMC 7008ABR and 7004VBR v.2 (probably also most other SMC models).
-LINKSYS BEFSR41
-Alcatel SpeedTouch 510

Last edited:
SMC routers

This setup goes for SMC-routers, I have done it with 7008ABR and 7004VBR v.2, and I assume most other models use the same procedure.

First, open your browser and type http://192.168.2.1
This brings you to the login page. The default password is smcadmin. Go to a menu called "special applications". Depending on your model, this may be under "NAT", "Firewall" or maybe something else; just go through all the menus and you'll find it.
In this menu, you will enter 47624 in the trigger port-field, and 2300-2400,28000-29000 in the incoming field. If your router doesn't take several ranges in one field, simply enter another rule with the second range.

NAT.JPG

or

NAT2.JPG

The 7008ABR don't allow you to specify both TCP and UDP in one rule, so you will have to enter all values twice, one for TCP and one for UDP.

I have found that enabling UPnP will keep you from joining games - make sure this is disabled.

Last edited:
LINKSYS BEFSR41:

lsys.jpg

No furhter modification of the routers setup was made (though I did turn off DHCP under the 'Setup' menu, but I don't think it makes any difference wrt. HOI).

This was used with win98 and HOI v. 1.06c.

EDIT: I'M SORRY, BUT IT TURNS OUT THAT THIS CONFIGURATION IS INCOMPLETE. IT WILL ONLY ALLOW ME TO JOIN A GAME AND IT WILL ALSO BLOCK NON-HOST IN-GAME MESSAGES. I'm working on this to see if there's a proper solution.

Last edited:
Alcatel SpeedTouch 510

ports.jpg

Here is solution that works for me:

- factory settigns as starting setup
- open your SpeedTouch management page (i.e. type IP address of your SpeedTouch in browser's address bar, something like http://10.0.0.138 or so)
- go to Advanced, select NAT
- on Network Address & Port Translation (NAPT) page click New in NAPT Settings
- fill in text boxes, as follows:
Protocol: tcp (default)
Inside IP: IP address of you computer connected to SpeedTouch modem (e.g. 10.0.0.1 or so)
Outside IP: 0.0.0.0 (default)
Inside Port: fill port number in (2300, 47624, 28800 worked for me)
Outside Port: same as inside port
- click Apply
- to confirm settings, click Save All

Make one setting for each port, changing only port number, everything else is the same.

Solving 'problems' with router
- when you made everything described above and you believe you should be able to play, but you are not, try to restart the router. It may help.
- when you have problems to reach router's configuration interface through browser and you get responses like 'connection timed out' or 'address unreachable', try to simply turn off your router and then turn it back on. If it still doesn't work, reset your router to factory settings (procedure is described in the manual). It will help in most cases, but be aware of the fact it'll be needed to run setup from router's CD to set up connction to your provider, what includes filling in username and password for your DSL account!

Last edited:
For Linksys router where the above solution posted by Sgt. Bulldog does not work, you have to place your computer in DMZ to play mp successfully. As you see from his screenshots there is a "DMZ" tab you can click and then enter the last bit of your ip (if your network ip is 192.168.1.43 enter 43). I reccomend using a free software firewall while you are in DMZ to protect your computer, for example ZoneAlarm.

To get hold of your network ip-adress in Windows XP, right click Network Connections (usually on the desktop, start menu or control panel) and doubleclick "local area connection" (the one you use if there are several). It should say "IP adress: 192.168.x.y" where x is usually 1 in Linksys routers but can also be 0 or 2 or whatever you set it to, and y is 2 or higher (up to 255).

I just figured how to configure the Linksys model# wrt54gc router so I hope this helps some folks.

First go to games and apps.

Port range forwarding.

You'll have to create two entries name the first HOI1 (or something you will remember) enter the ranges 2300-2400, click the TCP box, enter your IP.

Name the second HOI2 enter range 28800-29000 click TCP box, enter IP.

Click enable boxes on both. Save settings

OK now the port ranges will be forwarded to your computer.

Next step, port range triggering

Name first HOI1 enter triggered ranger 47624, forwarded range 2300-2400, enable.

Name second HOI2 enter triggered range 47624, forwarded range 28800-29000, enable, save settings.

I came back and wrote this because I couldn't get my router fixed with any of the explanations and I am a nice guy.

Hope that helps.

Capitan deBurca said:
I just figured how to configure the Linksys model# wrt54gc router so I hope this helps some folks.

First go to games and apps.

Port range forwarding.

You'll have to create two entries name the first HOI1 (or something you will remember) enter the ranges 2300-2400, click the TCP box, enter your IP.

Name the second HOI2 enter range 28800-29000 click TCP box, enter IP.

Click enable boxes on both. Save settings

OK now the port ranges will be forwarded to your computer.

Next step, port range triggering

Name first HOI1 enter triggered ranger 47624, forwarded range 2300-2400, enable.

Name second HOI2 enter triggered range 47624, forwarded range 28800-29000, enable, save settings.

I came back and wrote this because I couldn't get my router fixed with any of the explanations and I am a nice guy.

Hope that helps.

nice tip....

Buffalo Routers - Port Forwarding

Router Type - Buffalo Airstation WHR - G54S or something like that.

Lesson - Port Forwarding

Oh man I finally have my router forwarding and I have to say that Buffalo routers are as easy as they come. I have been so busy trying to help my friend get his linksys working and this is a nice break.

Anyways, here ya go.

Step 1 - Log into your router. The ip for a buffalo router should be 192.168.11.1. Type that in your address bar up top in your browser (see picture). It will then ask you for a username and pass. Unless you have created your own, the username should be root and there is no pass. If you have made your own username and forgot it, you can always completely reset your router by pressing the reset button on the side for 5 seconds.
router1.jpg

Step 2 - Port Forwarding woo! It is quite simple really. Just put in the range you want forwarded and thats it. Just hit "Apply" and within 10 seconds your router should be updated. As you can see, I have a huge range of forwarded ports. That's mainly because I am lazy and I don't use my router firewall as a firewall. I use zonealarm. As soon as I hit "apply" my download program shot up in rate and all my games love me now. Yay! I hope this helps some folks.
Router2.jpg

Oh and a side note, I strongly recommend this router for gamers as it is simple and effective (and the cheapest one I could find at the store).

got any info on westell routers? Can't find the manual atm.