• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Egocentrix1

Recruit
Mar 8, 2015
In SC4 (the Rush Hour expansion) there was a tool that showed you the route that all the cars/sims used. With the endless possibilities to abuse one-way roads, that would be a useful addition to analyse traffic flow.

Since cars lock on a route the moment they depart, I think it would not be too hard to draw that route on the map, but I don't think the modding API supports interfacing with the traffic in that way.

What do you guys think about this? Or am I missing something and is it already there?

Upvote 0
this would be really useful, yeah.

For anyone who doesnt remember the route query tool - or hasnt played simcity 4 (unlikely here..) :

51220-simcity-4-rush-hour-windows-screenshot-there-is-a-new-query.jpg

SimCity4_Rush_Hour_screenshot.jpg

you could basically click on any building and see how people travel to and from that building - what routes people take, what methods of transport etc.

a very cool feature.

I don't think you're missing anything.
This would be a very useful and handy and buried in one of these threads from last week somewhere I asked for (in time) the same thing.
As it is you can click and see where someone is going and stuff but it would still be super handy if it would highlight the planned path, I have to imagine there in their dev-build's there is some sort of feature or debug tool like this used for pathfinding work, would be great if eventually it was pushed out to customers in-game (like ctrl+shift+click on entity) or access to the necessary data\drawing structures was exposed via mod api so we might do it ourselves.

+1 [Bucket: Nice to haves]

While not directly route-query related, I wanted to pass on that when you used the launch option --enable-dev-ui , that besides the 'cheats' so to speak when the TAB menu is enabled you can hover over a building like the picture above and get some raw stat values.