• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(57302)

Second Lieutenant
May 23, 2006
Hi Guys!

Actually this is my second attempt to make an AustriAAR - maybe someone even remembers „Austrian Pride“ :confused:

This game was never meant to be an AAR in the First Place, but some things turned out weird, so I thought this will get some interest, although it won’t be perfect gameplay, good storytelling or very humorous at all – just a sickminded description of a ludacris game.

I played up to September 1944 till now, but I’ll reload at July so the whole planning process of the greatest military action in Austrias history can be directly brought to you, live!

Since I’m a real paranoid coward I’ve got lots of saves during the 8 years of the campaign – so If anybody reads this and desires to see how things turned out to be like this, I can post a small review for the most important parts of the campaign or nearly each year – feel free to recommend a short summary!

Starting Position:

Doomsday (1.2), no downloadable mods. Starting in 1936 normal/normal with Austria and some “slight” handmade modifications:
MP in the beginning:250
Denial of Anschluss only causes 25% dissent.
whole Hungary, Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia claimed as national territory
1 or 2 slider moves (political left, interventionist and standing army)
some leaders lost their old guard treat – mostly a direct effect of massive alcohol abuse and/or Alzheimer

Goals:

Show these damned Germans that Austria is able to stand alone.
Survive the War and turn out as a major minor power or even a minor major power.
Become democratic once again after the dark powers are defeated.
HAVE FUN!

Update Policy:

Since I’m quite busy at university and moderately at RL, I’ll try to update every second day (or third :rolleyes: )

Pics:

Sorry about the language on the pics: It's German once again - as i said before this was never meant to be an AAR

Sounds interesting, can't wait to see the first update.

A Short Overview

July 1944

After 1 whole year of doing nothing the Austrian warmongers got bored building up the army and waiting for something to happen. It is about time to start Striking again!

A quick look at the map of Europe:

july1944startga0.png

Please notice that Turkey is the Ottoman Empire now – and as such a puppet of Austria.
And if you take a quick look at the west of Austria you’ll recognize the beautiful Austro-Swiss Alps, since Switzerland got puppeted in 1943 – bringing 16 Divisions to the Austrian war effort.

The Axis: German Reich, Italy, Finnland, Portugal and Slovakia. Romania had switched sides as the first Russian Division entered their territory and got annexed by Germany only 1 week later. Stupid Germans kept pumping Divisions into Romania just to get them trapped between Austria and the Commies. Hopefully they won’t declare war on me to get a supply line. Germany seems pretty exhausted and the fins are just a shadow of themselves right now.

Allies: The usual suspects. But they mostly sit around doing nothing. Managed to loose some Asian Provinces to the Japs but landed successfully at Sicily and occupy half the Island… :rolleyes:
Keep the Axis Air Force rather busy and have them defend the beaches.

Comintern: You recognized the Big Red Spot in the east? Yeah those are the commies advancing slowly but steadily. Relations are pretty bad, but since they are the new next door neighbours I’ll start being very nice to them very soon.

Japs: Took some Islands (e.g. phillipines), took south-east asia and are about to advance into India. Still didn’t conquer the Chinese and I suggest that they never will. Even Guangxi-Clique is still lurking around – maybe Myth is leading them? (I mean the Clique, not the Japs)

TECH!

july1944techsm8.png

As you see we are nearly up to date when it comes to doctrines: 60% into combined arms defensive – All aggressive foreign politics will be cancelled until this doctrine is finished + blueprint from Ottoman Empire ;)

Improved Mechanised Division is also on its way – that’s good to see since my 3 “fast moving attack Spearhedas” (FMAS) consist of 1Panzer Type IV and 2 CAV IV Divisions each. *cough* two Early Mech Divisions just got deployed and will replace the two CAV in one of the FMAS.

A real problem is the lack of a chemistry tech team since this denies me the effective research of synthesis technologies.

My puppets are really useful when it comes to tech: Switzerland provided me some industrial tech and the Ottoman Empire some doctrines and Inf tech.

ARMY + Resources

july1944resarmyqf6.png

Our Army is pretty big for a minor – but so are the borders with our possible enemies.

Mostly it’s INF 1943 with attached Artillery Brigades, more mechanized are on the way

The Air Force consist of:
8 CAS Type II (Even got a pretty skilled leader here) 4 TAC Type IV
2 INT Type II ( I never should have built them they are worthless in combat and since my tech teams are average it takes ages to develop next step)

Navy: Yeah we really have a Navy! Okay it consists of a captured Yugoslav Destroyer Diviosion Type II and 3 Transports. But technically it’s a navy – it floats, only moves on water and consumes oil.

This brings us to resources: Stockpiles are pretty good, shouldn’t worry too much about them, thanks to the annexed countires :cool:
All Resources but Oil and Energy come steadily in. I get free Energy via Trade Deal with Ottoman Empire and Oil form the US for supplies – but that’s no favourable deal. Maybe I’ll gota get me another puppet – this time with oil.

So whats the plan?

It’s evil and sneaky but not a cakewalk! I'll post it:"When it's done" But surely before DUKE NUKEM FOREVER is released :D

wow nice work! shouldnt germany have declared war on you if you refused tho? i say attack germany, close ussr from rest of europe, take all that and then attack the ussr :p

You should liberate Bulgaria and then finish off the axis and try to grap as much land as you can. That is, when you have enough IC to have a 5th tech team.

@lifeless:

Had great relations with Germans as the Anschluss fired, and already inherited the hungarians, maybe this screwed up some of the events and the german AI.

It took them ages to conquer the french - they finally crushed trough the maginot line(!!) in late October(!) 1940. Vichy event fired in November - but Barbarossa never came. I loaded as Germany and manually declared war on the Commies in 1943, otherwise it would heave been too much ahistorical :D

@General Hannibal:

Hmmm, never actually thought of releasing bulgaria - they put up quite a fight in their mountainius stronghold back then... I think they deserve further oppression :D

But if I conquest large chunks of land in future campaigns, wich is the direct goal, there will be puppets created whenever possible.

You seem to have mostly revived the Austro-Hungarian Empire! Not bad at all :cool:

Update is being written at the moment and should follow soon :cool:

@Micherau: It was never my intention to join the Germans, but after this is finished maybe I'll make one of the elder saves to an AAR - when Rumania isn't in the axis and, by annexing them, I get a good position to attack the commies.

@Dollfuß: :rofl: That was a joke wasn't it? :D none at, all. I'm struggling to keep the most important parts up to date - maybe I'll post a tech tree tomorrow

Interesting AAR so far, looking foward to more :)

Early August 1944 the Austrian military genious Lothar Rendulic finished his works on the: “Combined Arms defensive Doctrine”. It took only 11 days to bring the benefits of this work to the men in the field and they couldn’t wait to see some action again.

europe12augustyx8.png

Europe:

The Russkis are advancing deep into former polish territory, encircled Warsaw and move fast into the former Romanian lands, capturing the oil reserves at ploesti. They also defeated Finnland and puppeted them, and so destroyed quite a few german diviosions fighting on finnish soil.

The allies managed to get a foothold in France, still small but if they pump troops into it they will become a certain danger.

The Germans are fighting a 2 or better 3 sided war: East against the Russkis, West against the allies. The 3rd front is in the skies: they constantly get bombed by communists and democrats. They could use all the help they could get.

Italy has only a small garrision on the northern border to Switzerland and Austria- most of their troops are protecting the boot from the Brits in Sicily – but quite a number secures the greek peninsula.

After long debates the enemy for the summer offensive became clearer and clearer. It was chosen either from a strategic point of view and a political.

0500 on the 12.August 1944 Austria declared war on the Italien traitors (they betrayed Austria-Hungary and the German Reich during World War I, joined the entente and got rewarded Southern Tyrol for their treachery). Fortunately this also caused hostile action against the German Reich, despite of a non-aggresion pact, but that’s only a welcome side effect.

The Germans deserve this dow, as no other nation would: First of all they claimed Austria as German territory in 1938 causing massive inner political fights in Austria. Second: They inherited all Czechoslavakia into their evil empire, denying Austrias rightful claims. Third: Their Industry, army and intellectual masterminds can’t be left to the soviets. ;)

The Tour de Germany!!!

Contestors:
In the Red Corner, the champion and yet undefeated SOOOOVIEEEEEEEET UNIOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

In the Blue Corner, the superiour multinational AAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLIIIIIIIIIIEES!

In the Brown Corner, the underdog and rookie of the century: AUUUUUUUUUUUUUSTRIAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Prize for this race through Germany is the beautiful City of Berlin, with loads of IC and the right to install puppet nations in Germany!

Gentlemen: Start your engins!

Goals:

1) Reconquer all Czech territory.
2) Race to Berlin with the FAMS, size it and hold the homefloating eastern german divisions.
3) Man the Siegfried Line and hold of the homefloating western german divisions.
4) Advance slowly into northern Italy and size the industrial heartland.

5) Hold the border with former Romania without gains or losses
6) Kick the Italiens out of Greece and install a pro Austrian puppet

Last edited:
Dollfuß said:
berlin isn't that beautiful.

It will be, after we conquered it :D

The Summer Offensive, Planning (Part 2)

Tour de Germany

Since we really want to win this greatest motorsportsevent in worldhistory, Austria devotes it’s best leaders, divisions and the whole Austrian Air Force to this task.

Here’s the planned route:

attacknorthaugust1944rs7.png

If everything works out as planned we’ll have 3 axis of attack into Berlin with 3 Tank IV Divisions, 4 Cavalry IV and 2 Mechanized I and 1 HQ III (separate and led by a field marshal)– 9 Infantry Divisions will arrive later if necessary. Notice that 2 Cavalry and 9 Infantry Divsions will seize the city of Bratislava and will start moving north after the annexion of Slovakia, made possible by the parallel seizure of Kosice by an INF Corps.

With the River separating me from the eastern German Front I’m confident to halt the Germans between me and the soviet hammer. In Küstrin (The Province east of the River) my most elite Corps will try to make a stand: Tank Division with 2 Mech Divisions under a skill 3 tank leader.

TACs and CASs will provide air support IF there aren't any enemy fighters around

Meanwhile 9 INF Divsions will advance along the Siegfried Line, leaving 3 Divisions in each of the fortified provinces. (no pics since this isn't part of the Race and as such TOP SECRET)

Operation: Pizza delivery service

attacksouthaugust1944fd4.png

The Plan is simple:

Our Swiss allies move south until the reach the sea, secure every province with 3 divs and try to hold out as long as they can. Meanwhile we take Venice with 12 Divisions. 9 of these will cut of whole northern Italy from Rome. This will provide us a 2 Province poket: Milan and Trento. As soon as it is clear that this plan has a real chance to work out, 3 Austrian and 3 Swiss Divisions will occupy Trento. If it doesn’t work out we’ll simply defeat the Italiens province by province.

Operation: French Tactics for the Austrian Army

romaniaaugust1944gw2.png

On this front we will only hold our ground until the germans are destroyed by the soviets. Guard duty is performed by 9 Ottoman INF divisions and 3 Austrian. Since the oilfields of Ploesti are already captured by the soviets, there is nothing worth fighting for round here.

Operation: Sirtaki Dancing

greeceaugust1944rd5.png

First step here is to cut off the enemy forces in Tirana and destroy them afterwards. Meanwhile the Ottoman Army (9 INF), will seize the worthless province of Kavala, aided by 9 Austrian INF. In the VP Province of Salonika it will be the other way round. I am a little worried about the Level 5 Land Forts there but maybe we can capture Edessa with the Tirana Forces (once the pocket is destroyed) and encircle the fort.

After this the Ottoman Corps will take the lead in the fighting for Greece, hopefully conquering it all for the glory of their Austrian masters.

I conquered Libanon and Syria in 1941 – which was a crappy offensive: I built 3 Transports, landed in Syria and forgot that I had no convoys. My army almost starved to death, lost more men to lack of supplies than to the enemy. After the Annexion of Turkey 1942 I created Ottoman Empire and gave them Syria and Libanon – so I think they owe me some blood.

------------

So this is the plan. Tomorrow I’ll see if it works out and will post an update Thursday night, or if I get addicted again tomorrow LATE night.

Thanks for the comments, hope you all enjoy reading!