• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nevyn

Sergeant
103 Badges
Jun 20, 2006
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Legio
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Ancient Space
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
Well here goes my first AAR on these forums. Just to warn you I have never ever finished one (my attention span is woefully inadequate I’m afraid :eek:o ) but I hope I’ll manage to hang on this time.

Comments are of course welcomed, even if it is just to correct my bad spelling or horrendously bad grammar. I do like to improve myself.

Updates will be once a week if nothing gets in the way.

Hope you enjoy

Cheers
Nev

Redditus Gloria

Two years, for two year Pyrrhus army had savaged the Italian countryside by sacking villages, cities and incited rebellions among the different tribes. What had taken centuries to build through countless wars was unraveling at the hands of a master tactician. If it were not for the mighty wall surrounding the eternal city of Rome, she too would have been sacked.

But the fierce battles had cost the Epiriot army as well, so much in fact that Pyrrhus had withdrawn from Italy altogether to regroup. Thereby allowing Rome to do what Rome does best, grasp the winning straw out of a certain defeat.

Two more Legions had been levied to quell the uprising tribes and show once and for all who ruled Italy. The pompous Greeks in Taras would learn their lesson and submit to Roman rule at last; the times of petty squabbles were over.

Gaius Fabricius Lucinius, one of the most prominent individual of Rome, had gained control over the 2nd legion. The fabulously wealthy man, for many the next would be consul of Rome, had secured the Legion right in front of Lucius Julius Libos. Both had seen the Legion as a way to earn glory for them self before the election for Consul, thereby giving them an edge before the other.
In the end it was the money of Gaius, who had held great parties and promised great swaths of land to the right kind of people, who won the day. In a mere few months he had reestablished rule over the Lucanian tribes and was ready to take the battle to the Greeks.

But Gaius sure path to glory soon run in to trouble. Lucius Julius Libos together with both the ruling consul Lucius Aemilius Barbula and the brother of the Pontifex Maximus, Marcus Atilius Regulus, had stopped the advance. Fearing that Gaius would crush the rebelling Brutiis, and conquer Taras thereby gaining enough support for the consulship, the 2nd Legion was ordered to halt.

Consul Lucius just returning from his campaign in Etruria, where he had crushed a rebellion, wanted to earn himself a triumph. By conquering Taras, putting down the Brutii uprising, and punish the deserters in Rhegium would certainly give him one. All he had to do was to hold Gaius and his 2nd Legion back long enough so he could grab the glory for himself.

Lucius Julius started a massive campaign with his supporters to win himself the Consulship, in sharp competition with Marcus Atilius and Marcus Aemilius Paullus. It was these three together with Gaius who were the contenders for the highest office of Consul. In the midst of war the intrigue had begun and all parties were positioning themselves for the coming election.

Seeing his power diminish by being away from Rome and not being able to send back boasts of glory and victory, Gaius traveled back to Rome. There he persuaded the senate to let his Legion take the battle to the enemy and in early January they started to march.

So in the last year of Consul Aemilius or the 474th year after the founding of the eternal city, the stage was set and the players had been dealt their cards. A new era was dawning, and man was drawn out to war. Only when the dust had settled the outcome would be clear and the dominates mundi would be hailed by the Gods.

Thank asd, hopfully the writing will improve as I go along. I'll try to get in some pics as well (don't know how to yet though).

Edit: Well what do you know, I did figure it out :D

Cheers
Nev

Matrimonium Cura

Early January started with an ominous marriage between the sitting Consul Lucius Barbula and Octavia Messalla from the oblique family of the Octavii. The Aemilii clan was furious; their most prominent member had wasted a perfect opportunity to improve their power base by arranging a more proper marriage. They had become the laughingstock of Rome, not only had a Patrician family married an obscure uninteresting and poor family but they had diluted their blood by mixing it with a Plebian. Lucius had endangered the possibility of getting Marcus Aemilius Paullus chosen at the upcoming election.

Why the otherwise intelligent man had failed so utterly in seeing the repercussions of his marriage none can say for certain. But a rising star in Rome were usually mentioned when the scandal was discussed, a certain Lucius Mamilius Vitulus. A quaint link, if one dug deep enough, could be traced between Lucius Vitulus and the Octavii; an old debt from ancient past. If true the old rivalry and disgust the two men had towards each other had now escalated as Barbulas popularity and revere plummeted.

By marrying out of love he had announced to the world that he was a love sick puppy who did not have any self control. He would forever be seen as a weak man by the populous of Rome, as feelings and lack of self control were severely frowned upon by the entire Roman society.

Marriagepic23.png

Last edited:
comagoosie said:
Does not sound like a cheery time.

It was different times :) The Romans worshipped duty. Duty towards family and city, love was seen as a self-centered and as we all know has way of shifting ones priorities :rolleyes: Even Pompey were ridiculed by the way he openly showed affection towards his wife Julia (Caesar’s daughter).

Cheers
Nev

An unfortunate marriage then.

Welcome to the world of AAR-writing. I hope you have fun doing so. Any questions please feel free to ask.

PS - Your forum nick - Katharine Kerr-inspired?

stnylan said:
An unfortunate marriage then.

Welcome to the world of AAR-writing. I hope you have fun doing so. Any questions please feel free to ask.

PS - Your forum nick - Katharine Kerr-inspired?

Unfortunate in regards to politics at least ;)

Nevyn was my first net name, kind of hanged on to it since and yes it is from Katharine Kerr.

Here’s the next instalment by the way

Cheers
Nev

Principium Termini

Magna Graecia, with the major trading cities of Taras and Thurii, was an area of independent Greek citiy states in the southern parts of Italy. Taras, the principal power in Magna Graecia, had attacked Rome in what it saw as a violation of a standing influence treaty between Rome and themselves. Thurii had asked Rome for assistance in a conflict with a rivaling city and Rome had obliged by sending a Legion and a fleet in to the Gulf of Tarentum. Taras found the placement of troops so close to their city as an act of aggression and sent a formal protest. The dispute between Thurii and her rival were quickly quelled and Rome withdrew her forces but a small detachment. Taras were enraged; by placing troops in an area clearly within their sphere of control Rome was violating their standing agreement of influence. The Roman detachment including the ships was wiped out by the army of Taras.

In an attempt to defuse the situation Rome sent several ambassadors to Taras to work out their differences. But the war party of Taras lead by Consular Philocharis refused to listen. Making no diplomatic headway Rome had no other chose than to declare war to save face. Taras immediately sent out a request for help to Epirius, which they themselves had helped not so long ago. Pyrrhus answered the call and took his army to Italy where he beat the Roman Legions sent against him over and over again. But after the battle of Asculum, were Rome again was defeated, Pyrrhus withdrew his forces from Italy leaving only a small detachment of troops.

The city of Taras was left to fight for herself; letters of conscription were sent out and the combined armies of the Greek cities assembled. Thousands of men from both Thurii and Taras heeded the call and new armies were set up. Officials had been sent to Samnium hoping to spark a rebellion yet again, as a Samnite uprising would certainly be helpful. Even as Gaius Fabricius Lucinius put down the rebellious tribes in Lucania, Taras readied her forces hoping they would be able to muster enough to stem the Roman onslaught that would certainly come. But Philocharis was confident; Pyrrhus had after all defeated the Romans several times over. The phalanxes of Magna Graecia would prevail and the Romans would be punished for their insolence.

GreekPhalanx.png

I rather suspect Philocharis is going to be proved wrong on that one.

Nova Viris

In the mansion of Praetor Numerius Fabius Pictor, the Fabii clans’ most influential member, the powerful comitia centuriata were assembled. Here they discussed the future of the ongoing war and the actions to be taken.

Surprisingly the first thing on the agenda was the barbarian menace to the north, mainly because several border villages had been sacked recently. The local garrisons had managed to hold the situation marginally under control, but all information supported the belief that either the Boii and/or the Apuani would attack. If so the two field legions levied would be wholly inadequate to handle all the threats on Rome.

The second most troubling news was the increased resistance in Samnium. The ever warlike Samnites were motivated to rise against Rome once again by the involvement of Taras. As always was the wealth of Taras ready to be spent on making others fight their wars, and what better fighters could money buy if not Samnites. Together with the Lucanian rebellion that had just been put down and the ongoing war with Pyrrhus and Magna Graecia, the armies of Rome would be sorely stretched if the Samnites once again rose against their masters.

After a heated discussion it had been decided that a third legion would have to be raised, mainly to heighten Rome’s ability to handle the troubles she saw in the near future. All in all 10 000 men would be called up of which 5 000 would be the standard heavy infantry of Hastaii, Principes and Triarii. The remaining 5 000 men would consist of less armoured units, mostly skirmishers and Roarii, used for reserves and flanking harassment.

It was also decided that the two field legions that already were levied would be strengthened to full compliment by increasing them to 10 000 men each, although not before the 3rd Legion was operational.

recruitmentof3rdLegion.png

My earlier suspicion I think I will upgrade to being a near-certainty :)

Stnylan: Man your quick. Philocharis and his hired mercs will certanly get their filling.

Comagoosie: Only Romanized provinces will field Roman legions, the rest will have to field auxiliaries. So for the near future Rome will be the only province where professional soldiers are fielded.

Sorry for the short installments by the way, it’s something new I’m trying to keep me from losing interest. They will become more eventful and longer as the game progress. Hopefully I’ll manage to capture some of the intriguing and conniving going on in ancient Rome. At least that is my goal.

Cheers
Nev

Inauditus conprensionis

Rome had sorely felt the lack of a navy in their war against Taras and Epirus as their enemy could land unchecked almost anywhere. This had let Questor Publus Sempronius Sophus and Gaius Sempronius Blaesus to begin talks with Carthage and they had managed trade two triremes from them. The Carthaginians wanted an ally or at least a distraction against Epirus armies and therefore had sold the two vessels to Rome.

With the two Triremes as models Rome managed to build a couple of additional Triremes and reconstructed a lot of trade ships to field a fleet of 27 ships. It was hoped that this ad hoc fleet could challenge the navies of Taras and Epirus.

The Senate knew that Rome would not stand a chance against the veteran navies of Greece; therefore Gaius Sempronius Blaesus together with Publius Sempronius Sophus concocted a method that would try and reduce their disadvantage. The ships would be filled with legionaries and instead of the standard procedure of ramming the enemy, they would be boarded. Instead of the standard 170 oar men which job it was to create enough speed to ram the enemy, it was trained legionaries that would use a corvus to board the enemy ship and capture it. In this way a crippling blow would not matter as the Roman legionaries would just capture the ship that rammed them. It was an unheard of and revolutionary idea, but with the sorry state of the Roman Navy it would have to do.

Publius Sempronius Blaesus was given command over the Roman Navy to oversee and drill the new naval doctrine which hopefully would give Rome naval supremacy. In early January the fleet sat sail to contest the waters between Mare Siculum and Mare Superum, thereby robbing Taras and Epirus the chance of large invasion anywhere along the Italian coast.

It would not take long before the fleet was tested as they soon encountered the Epirus navy in Mare Siculum. Here a long stretch of skirmishes were battled out, lasting several months, and the doctrine were sorely tested. If Rome lost here the entire shore of Italy would be open for attack.

classis_navium_imagines03.jpg

Rome first major naval venture - they should be able to defeat Epirus unless something very dramatic happens.

Plagatus superbiae

In the early morning fog Mars, the fleets designated lead scout ship and a former Carthaginian Trireme, drifted slowly along trying to discern the distorted shadows in the fog from natural harmless shadows to silhouettes of enemy ships. Behind her Minerva, Mars sister ship, together with the rest of the 6 vessel strong forward detachment was following in a V formation.

Trireme.jpg

Far behind the scouts, Sempronius Blaesus slowly trailed the strait of Messina with his fleet. He was anxiously waiting for the signal that they were under attack. Elements from the fleets of Syracuse and Epirus were believed to patrol the strait in the hope of capturing the Romans off guard. Sempronius’ strategy was to seek out the more powerful fleets of the Greek and defeat them in detail before they joined. The newly built fleet of Rome, although inexperienced and woefully under qualified, had surprise on their side. If they just could find the navy elements of their enemy they would be able to defeat them by just swarming them. As long as Rome had number on their side Sempronius hoped they would prevail. In the distance an alarm bell was herd chiming alerting all that battle had commenced.

BlackShip1.jpg

As the morning mist slowly faded Mars finally found the enemy fleet. Syracuse had stationed 9 of her ships in the strait to stop any Roman attempts on naval progress. Although outnumbering the enemy fleet by 3 ships, it was the expert seamanship of the Greeks that would win the first encounter. Mars and her fellow scouts rang their gong to alarm the fleet trailing them and stormed off in attack. Within the hour the Roman detachment was completely outmaneuvered and they were taking a severe beating.

Mars, lacking both the speed and maneuverability of her Greek counterpart, tried her best to position herself to board a Greek ship. It did not take long to figure out that fighting at sea was a completely new type of warfare and that they had sorely overestimated their own skill. Several of the ships in the detachment had been rammed and thereby damaged. That no ship had been lost were just pure luck or divine intervention. But it could not last and soon the first Roman vessel went down after a direct hit amidships with enough force that broke her in half. The Greeks were gaining a definitive edge on the Romans and it would not be long before they would manage to sink several more ships. Luckily the main fleet entered the fray just in time. With 21 more vessels entering the battle the Greeks turned tail and ran; leaving behind several damaged and one sunken ship and a wounded Roman pride.
BattleofMareSiculum.jpg

I’m rather amazed at the size of the Roman navy at the beginning. Sure she had used a fleet, almost for the first time, as she subdued Campania but noting the size of what we are starting with in Rome.

I actually thought about decommissioning them but the greed and fear of failure won over rationality :rolleyes:

Cheers
Nev

comagoosie said:
It seems that the Romans control the seas.

nice first graphic, btw.

The battle ain’t over yet, this was just a skirmish. But the writings on the wall I guess, the power of the Roman navy aren’t exactly a secret. But then again the Gods might just play a trick on the arrogant Romans ;)

Cheers
Nev