• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Read very well. Sometimes it is a good idea to have a "taking stock" update like this.

Thanks for the kind words! I thought it would be wise to do this with Rome about to burst onto the stage.

Always nice to see the big-picture view, especially to put things in context right before something major stirs things up. It looks like Rome and Carthage are about to begin their inevitable contest for hegemony over the Mediterranean world.

The map looks a lot more populated than I remember from when I played. I'm guessing Reign of the Ancients adds a lot more factions to fill out the "uncivilized" regions?

Yes they are! I'm lucky that their armies are in Africa. It will be a long war of attrition.

Yep! So there is no colonization in the vanilla sense. Rather once you conquer a barbarian province you can build a "Colony" building to get your culture to spread there. I'm not super familiar with the mechanics, but I believe that after this, or once the civilization value gets high enough, the barbarian power goes away and it acts like a regular province. This also tends to keep random factions i.e Macedonia or the Seleucids from just colonizing like crazy in the Balkans, which is nice. RoA also adds a nice feature where if you occupy an enemy territory for ten years (I think) you will have an option to annex it for an infamy penalty.

It reads very well - you’ve hit the mark in trying to render the game setting into a history book type format. I thought it very cleverly done. :) Looking forward to the next military adventure.

This is really wonderful work! I'm unfamiliar with the mod itself but you give a good impression of it and you are very good at capturing the sense of history and the figures moving it. :)

No worries.

Read very well. Sometimes it is a good idea to have a "taking stock" update like this.

Thanks! The Roman world is going to be in for a titanic struggle, and not just with the Carthaginians.

Always nice to see the big-picture view, especially to put things in context right before something major stirs things up. It looks like Rome and Carthage are about to begin their inevitable contest for hegemony over the Mediterranean world.

The map looks a lot more populated than I remember from when I played. I'm guessing Reign of the Ancients adds a lot more factions to fill out the "uncivilized" regions?

Yep. RoA takes away the "uncivilized" regions entirely and replaces them with various barbarian tribes and new colonization mechanics. The game speed slows down a bit, but it helps keep the random Macedonian and Seleucid colonies getting out of hand in the Balkans especially, which is quite nice.

I should have an update up tonight. Things really hit the fan, so much so that this chapter will only cover about 3 years. I'll give a hint: it's not the Carthaginians who are going to do the most damage in the Punic War.

I should have an update up tonight. Things really hit the fan, so much so that this chapter will only cover about 3 years. I'll give a hint: it's not the Carthaginians who are going to do the most damage in the Punic War.

Looking forward to it.

The First Punic War and the Splitting of the Republic (489-492)
“If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.” - Gaius Julius Caesar

Gaius Atilius Regulus assumed the consulship in 489 as the Republic had finally recovered its strength from the Pyrrhic War and the famine of the Metellan years. Its armies were strong, its people rich, and its coffers full. Regulus, beating out the twice favorite Lucius Julius Libo for the Consulship, felt he had much to prove [1]. As leader of the religious minded faction in the Senate, many Romans viewed him as pliable and weak. They were wrong.

The Senate, anxious to again spread Rome’s influence, impressed on Regulus their desire for war with Carthage. Regulus happily obliged. Legio I Italica was positioned in Etruria, and prepared for a campaign on the islands of the Tyrrhenian Sea, Corsica and Sardinia. Legio II Sabina, in Massena on police duty, was prepared to advance into Carthaginian Sicily. Just before the new year, Rome’s ambassadors delivered a declaration of war to Carthage, but even before Roman diplomats had set sail, the Republic's legionnaires were on the move.

txIS162.jpg

Modern, dramatized depiction of the Senate debating war with Carthage.
In January of 490 Legio I defeated the small Carthaginian garrison on Corsica and invested the island’s capital. Meanwhile, Legio II had reached Panoramas, and detached half its forces under the new Legio III Victrix to besiege Acragas. The next month saw the defeat of the Roman navy in an indecisive engagement at Ilva Insula, where the Roman fleet retreated in good order. In April of 490, a revolt by Greek settlers in Messana forced Legio III to break off from Acragas to stop the rebels. Still, by October, Corsica and much of Central Sicily were controlled by Roman forces, with only major cities still resisting in those areas.

sWaUvsr.png

The Battle of Corsica made Roman occupation of Corsica and Sardinia a fait accompli.

TnkzXZz.png

The battle at Ilva Insula proved that Carthaginian dominance of the seas would not be easy to break.
Before the turn of the year, word also reached the Roman Senate that Numidia had capitulated to Carthage, ceding much of its remaining territory in the Spring. As 490 turned into 491, Regulus had every reason to be confident. In April, the surrender of Panoramos, Acragas and Alalia, only bolstered that confidence. Yet clouds were gathering on the horizon. Poor omens had discontented the people, helping to lead to a major revolt in Corsica which had to be put down. But, to the Romans at the time, nothing seemed particularly far amiss. By the fall, Roman forces were well dug in in Northern Sardinia and Lilybaeum, the last major city in Carthaginian hands on Sicily, was under siege. Further, Rome had the resources to organize a fourth legion, Legio IV Gallica, which was tasked with keeping the peace in restive Southern Italy and was assigned to the command of Lucius Postumius Megellus, an ambitious, military minded man who had served as Civic Quaestor from 478-492.

Dnu70MG.png

The surrender of major Carthaginian cities made the Romans overconfident.
But in October the first in a series of events which would nearly ruin the Republic began to unfold. Harvests again failed across Southern Italy, driven by poor weather and the disruption of trade routes brought about by the war with Carthage. Megellus, either to solve crisis, or to better position himself for future office, began overruling the civilian governors’ attempts to maintain order, and by the end of the year had set himself up as something of a despot in the south, where he was requisitioning grain from the large estates in the region and distributing it to starving city dwellers. The Senate increasingly alarmed by his behavior, especially since many of the estates effect were their own, attempted to remove him from command, demanding that he leave his army in place and return to Rome. When Megellus demurred on an answer, the Senate rashly sent guards to arrest him. Megellus no doubt recognizing that his fate was no death or rebellion chose the latter course. In May of 492 the Republic split asunder [2][3].

XuA00Es.png

Famine would prove a major difficulty to the Roman war effort.

HSVampH.png

An approximation of the borders of Rome and Carthage at the outbreak of the civil war. The chaos in the opening months of the conflict makes it impossible to determine the exact delineations of Senatorial and Megellan support. Areas in white are rough concentrations of rebel support, while pink shows regions occupied, but not annexed, by the Republic.

[1]: Libo’s poor luck would continue after being appointed governor of Apulia, which along with Campania served as the base for Megellus’s rebellion.

[2]: Here I accidentally appointed a disloyal general. Within a year he had decided to make an attempt on power, at quite an inconvenient time. I considered reloading, but figured this would be an interesting twist to the narrative.

[3] Legio IV Gallica's role in the revolt would lead to its name and number being retired permanently from service in the Republic.

State Officials for this Chapter:
Consul: Marcus Atilius Regulus (489-)
Army Quaestor: Publius Sempronius Sophus (487-)
Navy Quaestor: Aulus Manlius Torquatus (487-491), Rumarius Fabius Pictor (491-)
Aedile: Appius Claudius Rufus (486-490), Gaius Suplicius Paterculus (490-)
Praetor: Tiberius Coruncanius (486-491), Lucius Manlius Vuls (491-)
Pontifex Maximus: Marcus Fabius Licinus (486-491), Gaius Atilius Bulbus (491-)
Censor Prima: Quintus Fabius Gurges (474-482), Publius Cornelius Rufinus (482-
Censor Seconda: Tiberius Coruncanius (474-482), Publius Decius Mus (482-

Governors:
Apulia: Marcus Fabius Buteo (487-491), Lucius Julius Libo (491-)
Campania: Quintus Valerius Falto (486-490), Gaius Sempronius Blasus (490-)
Etruria: Quintus Caedicus (486-490), Marcus Fulvius Flaccus (490-)
Gallia Cisalpina: Gaius Aquillius Florus (48:cool:
Sicilia: Manius Pomporius Matho (48:cool:

Generals and Admirals:
Legio I Italica (474-:
Gaius Fabricius Luscinus (480-)
Legio II Sabina (474-:
Gaius Dulius (482-)
Legio III Victrix (490-:
Marcus Sempronius Tuditanus (490-)
Legio IV Gallica (491-492)
Lucius Postumius Megellus (491-492)
Classis I Apollinaris (476-:
Manlius Valerius Maximus (476-

Well things just got interesting! It'll be a juggling act trying to make sure rebellions don't break my occupation of Sicily and Corsica while dealing with the civil war. If I can occupy those territories uninterrupted for 10 years, I get the option to annex them, which will be key. Pardon any extra typos or roughness for this update, I wrote it quickly as I have been travelling the past week.

Well, suffice to say things have gotten more complex. War, rebellion, famine ... they do say that disasters come in threes :D

Well, suffice to say things have gotten more complex. War, rebellion, famine ... they do say that disasters come in threes :D

Yes it was quite a rough three years! Needless to say this will make the next few years much more difficult and exciting. The rebels, in addition to the 10,000 men under Megellus, also auto spawned many event troops, so it will be a real fight.

Yikes! :eek: Just when things started looking up for the war against Carthage, Rome's domestic troubles come to a full boil. Looks like it's going to be a harrowing few years for the Senate and People of Rome...

Ah, the risk of seeking the Omens: were they narrative or in-game Omens that went wrong? This would be a bad time for a Hannibal-equivalent to turn up with a large fleet and a bunch of elephants!

Yikes! :eek: Just when things started looking up for the war against Carthage, Rome's domestic troubles come to a full boil. Looks like it's going to be a harrowing few years for the Senate and People of Rome...

Yes it will. I thankfully kept the majority of the standing army, and I'm hoping the event troops are just velites. If they are heavy infantry, well, we might be looking at a dictatorship a couple centuries early.

Ah, the risk of seeking the Omens: were they narrative or in-game Omens that went wrong? This would be a bad time for a Hannibal-equivalent to turn up with a large fleet and a bunch of elephants!

In game. With the religious leader as Consul I had over a 70% to get a successful omen and went for the revolt risk one. The failure of the omen actually helped push me to build the Legio IV since I felt I needed some garrison in southern Italy where revolt risks had jumped above 10%.

I'm sure hoping the Carthaginians don't land anywhere! They haven't been particularly aggressive yet, but if 20,000 Carthaginians appear in Italy proper where I have no troops, I'll be up a creek.

In game. With the religious leader as Consul I had over a 70% to get a successful omen and went for the revolt risk one.
Ouch! I’m right at the start in my game and the Omens are at only 39% - and your experience has reminded me why to only invoke them when the odds are good (and yours were pretty good) or you're forced into it.

Last edited:
Ouch! I’m right at the start in my game and the Omens are at only 39% - and your experience has reminded me why to only invoke them when the odds are good (and yours were pretty good) or your forced into it.

Yes they can be quite the double edged sword! Needless to say, I'm going to have to be more cautious about the omens from now on, though I'm not sure how much more cautious I can be if they fail at a 70% chance of success.

Yes they can be quite the double edged sword! Needless to say, I'm going to have to be more cautious about the omens from now on, though I'm not sure how much more cautious I can be if they fail at a 70% chance of success.
It was still the % play - I guess it’s like any venture investment: you have to be prepared to lose the lot and even wind up in debt! Good thing it happened from a reasonably strong position.

It was still the % play - I guess it’s like any venture investment: you have to be prepared to lose the lot and even wind up in debt! Good thing it happened from a reasonably strong position.

Yep, it could have been worse. If the Carthaginians had actually resisted and I'd been caught in the civil war, this aar might have been cut short!