• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

magnate

Sergeant
10 Badges
Jul 31, 2018
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Stellaris
  • Knights of Honor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
Hi all,

I've been playing as Illyria for about a hundred years, and now whenever I load my latest save it crashes within a few days. I'm playing the Gold version on on Steam (unmodded), which was v2.32c, so I thought it might help if I updated to v2.36c, so I did. The checksum is correct (XEVC) but still my save crashes within a few days.

I read a thread somewhere about how to trim stuff out of your save files to stop crashes but I can't find it again - please can somebody point me to it or tell me what to do to keep playing.

Very many thanks

CC

magnate

Sergeant
10 Badges
Jul 31, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • Knights of Honor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
Thank you, that was very helpful - I wrote a python script to do it and it cut my savefile by about 50% (from 18MB to 9).

Unfortunately that doesn't stop the crashing, so it means something about my particular game is triggering a bugged event around this point in time and causing the crash within a few months of this save game's date. I know this because when I slow the game right down I see the event box pop up before it crashes, but not for long enough to see which event it is.

Are there known bugs remaining in 2.36c which might account for this? Any possible workaround? I haven't played Rome for many years but I remember playing for much longer than this before, so i think something quite specific is up with my current game. (I'm at about year 572 btw)

MilosM

Major
16 Badges
Nov 21, 2009
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
I never solved that exact problem myself, it is what kept me from playing the game for a long time. Eventually my save game gets corrupted like yours now, and there is nothing I can do to get past certain point.

Some people seem to be able to fix the file, so I thought it might be worth trying. From what I've seen this is definitely a bug, and it would be great if they fixed it.

magnate

Sergeant
10 Badges
Jul 31, 2018
  • Stellaris
  • Knights of Honor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
This is fascinating, since the save file is plain text and is visibly not corrupted - every entry has valid syntax and is human-readable, albeit encoded in numbers. So at some point the game *writes* out a savefile that will later crash the game. I suspect it's because bugged events get more likely with more characters with certain traits or other data fields in the savefile. Will see if I have the patience to experiment with deleting bits of it.