• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Van Diemen

General
75 Badges
Jun 19, 2006
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
Rome Improved Map Project v1.3.1

This project aims to improve the map of EU: Rome. Currently Italy, Greece, Egypt, North Africa, the Near East, Gallia and Hispannia have been altered in version 1.3

Read some more about the new map for RIMP (not released yet) here:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9503242&postcount=394

We have a website together with the Mare Nostrum project which can be visited at http://tkw.dk/index.php in future more detailed information can be found there. I will of course still be available to answer any questions here, but if you want to contribute to the project it is best to do that at tkw.dk

If you want to join this project please send a Private Message with your abilities and talents. If you have any historical knowledge or suggestions that could be of use please don't be afraid to post it here, as we will look at every suggestion with care and interest. However you should apply info (with reference) about culture/religion/ownership/possible building developments and population (or at least estimates).

In the Rome Improved Map Project v1.3.1 no map changes were done compared to RIMP v1.3, however some gameplay and VV 2.1 compatibility issues were solved. I have added the following gameplay changes:
- Revised some missions for Rome and Carthage
- Added some missions for Rome, Carthage, Epirus and the Achaean League
- Revised the additional army for Pyrrhus of Epirus (now a little larger and you get extra funds)
- Generals can now gain or loose martial skill, just like battlefield tactics
- The National Idea Organized Recruitment will now have a +15% national manpower modifier, instead of the almost useless +10% recruitment speed
- Some trade goods have been revised
- Removed the Commagene crash bug
- Changed the cultures for many of the starting provinces of Carthage to reduce manpower.

Installation Instructions:
Using the game launcher
1. Preferably use a clean install of EU: Rome Vae Victis
2. Extract the files and place them inside the mod folder (Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis - Rome\mod) of your install of Europa Universalis: Rome Vae Victis.
3. Delete or at least remove all the texture files from the “Europa Universalis: Rome\Map\cache\province_textures” folder, however keep the now empty texture folder inside the cache folder after deleting or removing the texture files inside this folder. This can all be done automatically by running the batch.exe file by placing it in the “Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis – Rome” and activate it by double click.
4. Rename the provinces folder(Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis - Rome\history\provinces) to something else (for example “vanilla_provinces”) to ensure that the provinces provided by the RIMP mod will be used by EU: Rome Vae Victis.
5. Use your game launcher to start up.
6. After the game has made the new paths and textures (could take 5 or more minutes) you are ready to play.

You can read the detailed installation instructions in the Readme as well as a more detailed description of the changes in v1.3.
overviewstatusitalyandsmf9.jpg

rimpv13cr0.jpg

tyrannicgovernmentut4.jpg

A more detailed view of the new Greece in v1.2 beta with the Tyranny of Argos
tyreaddedmq8.jpg

The Republic of Tyre, a free nation later in the game.

tradegoodstablerimpud6.jpg

The new trade goods that are in RIMP v1.3

climatestablerimpzf1.jpg

The new climate system added in RIMP v1.3

If you are in need of the cache files, for example because you computer isn't capable of making them, then you may want to download the working cache file uploaded by veritas only for the RIMP v1.2 beta version. Cache files RIMP v1.2 beta

Also for RIMP version 1.3 and 1.3.1 (same files for both, as no map changes were done in v1.3.1) the following province texture files have been made available by Van Diemen, you can put these files within your "map\cache\province_textures" folder. Download link: Province Texture files RIMP v1.3

Here is the download link:
Rome Improved Map Project v1.3.1

For compatibility with the latest v2.2 patch, please download and extract the attachment made by mate0815 (RIMP_adaption_22.zip) on top of (overwrite) the Rome Improved Map Project v1.3.1 files.

Attachments

• RIMP_adaption_22.zip
    0 bytes · Views: 488
Last edited:
I downloaded you mod into my Rome game directory, but when I extract the files, they do not overwrite the vanilla files. I have removed prov_texture_100. Do I need to extract the files into a specific folder? Thanks.

Sol Invictus said:
I downloaded you mod into my Rome game directory, but when I extract the files, they do not overwrite the vanilla files. I have removed prov_texture_100. Do I need to extract the files into a specific folder? Thanks.
Sorry, my fault. I forgot to add the image so that you can use the Rome mod activator (on your game launcher). I have added it to the file now. But you should be able to add these files as well yourself manually. Just copy paste the correct folders at the correct location of your EU:Rome folder and overwrite when asked (make sure to back-up if you overwrite).

Good work.

Van Diemen said:
However there is still one minor problem. It seems that the game cannot support more than 337 provinces, so currently I had to sacrifice a "not likely to be missed" naval region in the north of the map between Germany and Sweden (Mare Suebicum) for adding Messana, but I'm sure that nobody will miss it very much.

Seboden clued me into this because I assumed you had looked for the ways to mod the maximum number of provinces when I saw you'd made this, but in the map directory, the file default.map, there's a max_provinces = "337", have you tried altering this? The EU3 game engine handles a lot more provinces than this, so it doesn't seem to be a limitation there. If it works you shouldn't need to delete or consolidate old provinces, you could just add new ones.

I have added 2 provinces to the game by using the same methods that are used in EU 3, but the graphics in the Terrain mode are all messed up now, they somehow squeezed to the surrounding provinces :rofl:

Last edited:
Eshmunazar said:
Seboden clued me into this because I assumed you had looked for the ways to mod the maximum number of provinces when I saw you'd made this, but in the map directory, the file default.map, there's a max_provinces = "337", have you tried altering this? The EU3 game engine handles a lot more provinces than this, so it doesn't seem to be a limitation there. If it works you shouldn't need to delete or consolidate old provinces, you could just add new ones.
Well, when I use the default.map file and increase it the game crashes during the start-up. If anyone hasn't had this problem, please tell me how I can resolve it. You could always try to increase the number of provinces yourself in the default.map file. If it works with you, than you will have regained access to the "lost sea zone", cause it is still inside the files (only now it is ignored cause of the maximum set to the standard 337 provinces).

There's a lot of new provinces I'd love to see brought into the map if this is indeed possible. I think splitting up the Sinai into one large barbarian province with a thin coastal corridor is a good idea. A separate province for Alexandria versus the entire delta of the Nile which can represent a true Greek city among native Egyptians, a similar situation with Seleucia and Antioch perhaps, a barbarian province or two in the east and south of Egypt, Phoenicia split into two coastal-oriented provinces with more of the hinterland going to Damascus, Lucania split into a northern Italian half and a southern Greek half, Etruria split into two provinces, more barbarian provinces surrounding the entire fertile crescent, a separate Dodecanese province that is part of Rhodes, perhaps a separate Cyclades province as well, and even an Ionian island province attached to either Epirus or Macedon from the start. Sardinia split into two provinces, with a Carthaginian south and a native Sardinian north.

Yay, I have tried it one more time to increase the max number of provinces and load up the game. This time it worked! However if you change it to 338 you need to delete the old cache file (inside your Europa Universalis - Rome\mod\Messana added\map folder, not the cache of the Europa Universalis - Rome\map folder!)

Now we can indeed mod to our hart desire. Let's start a map change project here and unite our efforts to make something out of Rome! However we do need some decent historical knowledge.

With the next patch and all of these mod additions, Rome should really soar like an eagle. Imperial eagle of course. ;) May the gods smile on the mod community.

Van Diemen said:
Yay, I have tried it one more time to increase the max number of provinces and load up the game. This time it worked! However if you change it to 338 you need to delete the old cache file (inside your Europa Universalis - Rome\mod\Messana added\map folder, not the cache of the Europa Universalis - Rome\map folder!)

Now we can indeed mod to our hart desire. Let's start a map change project here and unite our efforts to make something out of Rome! However we do need some decent historical knowledge.

Awesome :) and very exciting. This will allow you to modify what's already there, but not actually expand upon the map, right?

bacchus451 said:
Awesome :) and very exciting. This will allow you to modify what's already there, but not actually expand upon the map, right?
Indeed, as that will require to make an expanded texture and topology map, which is really a lot of work. Until then we shall improve the current map to new heights. But in order to do that we need some sort of organisation (it would be silly if multiple people do the same thing) and a list of "to do" things.

Here's one province that I personally would like to see added, as it is essentially my hometown :p

Utica.jpg

Utica. It's a town north-northwest of Carthage that sided with Rome during the Third Punic War. That would also be an event that could be written, I think, where if you choose the Third Punic War scenario Utica is a playable nation allied with Rome.